Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Hey you might remember that a while back... in the before time... I did some caricatures for the forums

Well I would like to take a few requests from BYOB this time! And because of the Creative Chill Comp thing going on, I'll show the whole process instead of just the finished picture. Who do yall want to see?
Alright thank you for the suggestions! I have chosen which ones to do & will get to it later today

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy

Keep your mind be open window everyday
William Shatner cold cocking Santa Claus.

High on the hog, 90's style.

biosterous

frank sinatra smugging it up over a despondent jfk

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Jack Nicholson

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

hp lovecraft, but he's smiling and having a blast!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Napoleon Bonaparte but he's too high to post in byob

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

nut

pat Sajak with vana body flipping letters to the puzzle unless horny is prohibited itt too

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Pee Wee Herman riding his bike but it's the bike from ET and instead of ET it's Hulk Hogan

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Alright I had got SUPER busy in the first part of the month finishing up a class, and after that I have been putting serious work into something else very exciting and important, but about which I cannot yet tell you anything!

But anyway, it's been a long time since I did any serious drawing and I felt like I really need to knock the rust off. So I finally made myself finish this up.

First I had to select a subject. I went with Jack Nicholson because I felt like easing back into drawing by doing just a face. His face is super distinct and weird in some ways which makes this both easier and more difficult. I don't like to do my caricatures in a very typical way. But Jack's features are already so weird that exaggerating them at all pushes him into a hokey, carnival-caricature type of look that I don't like at all. One reason I picked him is because I like to do these on people I've seen not only just in a lot of pictures, but seen video of. The Pee-Wee & Hulk Hogan were also good options but two faces is twice the work after all

As a result the picture ended up not really being a "caricature" in a typical sense. What I tried to do was just capture his facial expression at its most Nicholsonish.

I just used google image search for reference pictures. I try hard not to just use a single picture, but to actually use many pictures to come up with a good understanding of the subject's 3d face structure. In this way I try to avoid just copying their whole pose, expression, etc. from a single photo.

I do a couple of sketches of particular parts of their face or head that are interesting, then come up with an complete sketch that I will draw over.

Then I start to draw over it with ink. I don't really have a pattern to this process except I start with eyes and the tip of the nose because those are the most likely to be messed up and ruin it. If I ruin it early, then it's not as big of a loss to start over.

After all the main outlines are done, I add detail lines and use cross-hatching to shade and give depth.

This is the "final" drawing. I'm noticing things I want to add to it but I don't really feel like re-scanning and uploading it, so ... enjoy!

supplies
I used strathmore drawing paper. I have a bunch of different papers but I use this one for this because it's bright white and doesn't feather. On cheaper papers, ink from my pens spreads out a little and the lines become jagged. It ruins the whole thing. I used a regular cheap bic mechanical pencil to sketch and a nice Staedler eraser to clean up. Never use the erasers that come on the mechanical pencils! Use a good eraser!

To ink, I used three pens: a Pentel brush pen, and 2 eyedropper-filler Moonman fountain pens, one with a Fine nib and one with an Extra Fine. On my older drawings, I used the brush and some dip pens. However, here I used fountain pens for the convenience of not needing to dip them. I really just use the brush pen for the outermost, thick line around the face.

The fountain pens were filled with Montblanc black ink. This is really a writing ink, not a drawing ink. This ink is not waterproof at all, but it's not an issue for this situation since I wasn't going to color it. Also, with bigger pen nibs, this ink shows some gray-to-black shading, instead of being a single consistent black color. However, it works fine with nibs these small. IMHO, the best drawing ink in the world is Deleter #4 ink. But it's a dip pen ink, and I just didn't need its special properties here. It was more advantageous to go with the fountain pens.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Jaguars!

:hellyeah: So pleased you managed to get it done! Much respect, the only time I ever tried cartooning people they all ended up looking the same.

City of Glompton

nice job dr dogballs :golfclap:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

FluffieDuckie

thank you for showing us how to draw! it a very good drawing

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Khanstant
awesome! always love to see the process!

im with you on often starting at nose and eyes too, tricksy parts!!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

FluffieDuckie posted:

thank you for showing us how to draw! it a very good drawing

I learned nothing. NOTHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I learned nothing. NOTHING!

To be fair, DD's tutorial did not feature any women, space-suits, or antlers.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!