Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
hopefully this doesn't take all month because we're moving in early June

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
A Very Auspol Mafia Reunion

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Rule 12 says we shouldn't go out of our way to be jerks but what if we are just jerks naturally

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hi can I replace in if an auspol flakes out (a given) if I promise to stay up at weird hours and and work on my didgeridoo skills

fun fact they are actually called yikadi

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hmmm it seems like they are actually called YIDAKI but still thank you for opening my eyes I learned something new here

my brain switches letters sometimes :negative: but yes it is something I learned relatively recently as well!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

for years I thought "animagus" (like from harry potter) was spelt "aminagus" and words like "remuneration" gently caress me up

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Asphyxious posted:

A reminder that I’m a PRO mafia player and victory can only be achieved by just doing whatever I say.

Challenging me is FORBIDDEN.

sounds suspiciously like fascism to me

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Asphyxious posted:

Sounds suspiciously like “challenging me” to me.

if you think that's a credible challenge to you then you're not as powerful as you think!!!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Wait so we only need one more person? Lol please be someone cool.

get willus to sign up

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

Please be Amethyst

if amethyst signs up I'm not playing

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Bring me the head of Milky Moor.

weirdest way to ask someone to give you head

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hambeet posted:

I’ll get the game rolling tonight with humalong and Hal included if no real Australians pop in by the time I get home and hit the scotch

you're supposed to drink it hth

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

NPR Journalizard posted:

Still hopeful for some quality weekend at bernies type shenanigans.

Mate this Australian politics, Bernie is a foreign leftist extremist and we don't take kindly to foreigners here.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Tommu posted:

Dw you get a pool

We also don't comment on on-water matters.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

What are you talking about he just has one of those popular potato avatars

How appeeling!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I propose we build a wall around the health minister, keep that poo poo locked down

Yes! And a moat.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

iajanus posted:

Only one wall should be necessary, positioned correctly behind them.

Threatening violence against a Federal Minister? This is what we have come to expect from leftist terrorists. I've got my eyes on you.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

Is it true that Covid works in reverse down under and all of your sick people are getting healthy?

No, it is a foreign disease and as such is a BLIGHT on our beautiful nation.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I have no idea who is behind the account, and as a good Australian citizen I am frightened of the unknown and wish to see it destroyed.

##vote Revolver Anidav

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Chairmanidav

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

psure Barnaby has been three sheets to the wind (or is it two sheets?? I forget how many sheets) in Parliament on many occasions, just continuing the tradition of functioning* alcoholics running the cuntry

*or malfunctioning

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

who wants to play nafs?

narried at first sight?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Also I tried to reveal my identity as Revolver even before that one game, by making a big JoJo post that mimicked a big Gaspy Transformers post, but no one else besides Gaspy got it so that was sad

most goons, myself included, usually have about the same eye for subtlety as a potato; you basically have to say "I am Revolver Anidav", then wait for a wave of brain genius "I'm Spartacus", "Really deep down aren't we all Revolver Anidav" replies and then clarify "NO I AM LITERALLY THE PERSON OPERATING THE REVOLVER ANIDAV ACCOUNT ON SOMETHINGAWFUL DOT COM"

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Everyone is Anidav, like Agent Smith in the perfect and flawless 3rd Movie.

I didn't know Agent Smith was in the Alien franchise

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

oh god are we actually going to rehash this same old day 1 argument?

I thought the established praxis(tm) was that:
- a Day 1 lynch is usually pro town;
- the votes for d1 don't really matter, unless one of the leaders or first few pilers-on, or vocal players for or against lynching a specific player, later turns out to be scum, and/or it's part of a broader voting pattern; and
- nobody in their right mind would claim to have an actual good reason for why they're voting on day 1, unless they somehow know that lynching this specific person will definitely be bad (or good) for town.

but I ahven't played in a long time so correct me if I'm off base on those assumptions

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Tommu posted:

real posting: i don't think anyone is going to claim that you'll ever have an amazing reason to vote someone but this mind set seems to be just throwing in the towel. you can deffs get really pedantic over wording or something and its better than voting for someone because they have a dumb name.

IDK, on day one it's almost impossible to separate the "I'm just memeposting based on the theme" and the "I'm dropping subtle hints about my role in the wording of my memeposts" players unless you know they're prone to doing that (like gaspy or bif or sometimes me if I cbf) but even then it takes a while to filter a pattern out of the memeposting, so for me it's not worth it to go into too much analytical detail on day 1 when its main use is establishing a data point, my brain just ends up feeling like mash and I burn out way too quickly

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

for example if you were really keen you could look into the potential reasons I said "day one" in the first sentence and "day 1" in the second sentence for that post and come up with some brilliant forensic linguistics theory but in actual reality I'm just like, brain fried from a busy work week and cbf with consistency

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

this is Australian party politics! conscience means nothing!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i only play big brain hyper breadcrumb mafia. every post is insightful and important. thats why I make so few of them. but they're all very important and relevant.

you guys are gonna flip when you find out what this one means

does it mean you're nuts

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i debated the merits of inline giant kangaroo balls on the forum but settled on a blurred image bc I don't want to get probated on d1, the most important day of mafia

it is UNAUSTRALIAN to censor the magnificent gonads of one of our national emblems

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Revolver Anidav posted:

This interests me. The Before Times, you are the first person to mention embedding role hints in early posting. Is it not the case that the only ones looking for these early on would be Scum, identifying their targets? Those who are Truthful have no cause to seek these secrets at this juncture.

This post feels Contrived. An attempt to fill the empty void that Lies leave in their wake, perhaps.

I mean scum definitely look for breadcrumbs, it's true, but in previous games I've been able to pick up early on clues in people's posts that point to their flavour and/or role which helps when I'm a town with roles that can help or hinder other players. That being said it has also helped when I've been third party.

But I'm not sure how a post in direct response to something another player said about reading too much into wording can feel contrived?

Anidav posted:

Drive by bandwagon votes with little regard for context.

absolutely! my d1 votes usually are lol

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

it’s over the top wordy

all seems a bit contrived

Ohhhh, over the top wordy is just my default setting

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

What have I gotten myself into

There's always a way out if you'd rather not be in the game! Imagine I'm gesturing vaguely at an angry mob comprising Australian political leaders.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Remember when Mith could never lie in mafia and played seriously and she comes into this game sorty jokey and casual.

Hey I memed with the best of them on day 1! But I mean, not playing mafia for 2+ years will chill a person out a bit.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

It was a pretty good meme while it lasted. Was it Anidav or Kommando who went insane in the Mario(kart???) game because they couldn't figure me out and it was slowly eating at them?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Was that the game where I became scum via ability and then yelled out who the scum team where and they lynched me instead and you won because they didnt believe me

Oh that's the one! I forgot how that played out. Anyway please assume I am an lying liar until it can be proved otherwise, I am no longer riddled with crippling anxiety and hobbled by a guilty conscience :getin:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Just previewed to check my formatting so this is gonna look like a giant deflect now but w/e

One thing that really stood out to me from looking at post history is that Gridlock spent at least a few of their posts trying to ingratiate themselves with Revolver Anidav (including directly asking for a grilling):

Gridlocked posted:

Can you please stop being such a good gimick poster. I was cool with voting for you day 1 because I thought the gimick would get stale and wouldn't miss it when it was go e but it's just gotten better and better.

I still feel someone should be lynched on D1 for info, but maybe it's not an Anidav.

Gridlocked posted:

Do me next.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm gonna

##unvote

Because I also want to see more Revolver Anidav posting.

Stuff like this is a good attempt to avoid questioning down the line. It's easy to ask to be questioned early in the game when you haven't posted very much content.

##unvote
##vote Gridlocked

Looking at the lowest count posters, I also think iajanus seems fairly content flying under the radar with nothingposts. Similarly with VOTE1 and Tommu
JBP and NPR Journalizard claim to be newbies so I might give them a benefit of the doubt but some of their posts are a bit pingy:

NPR Journalizard posted:

I can understand Hal doing a driveby shitvote for spurious reasons, because thats largely what drove my initial revolver vote. JBP clearly has ulterior motives which he is trying to hide.

JBP posted:

I voted for NPR journalizard because I'm going with my gut. It's what strong players do.

Big deflect. Got him. Absolutely insane to claim I am not driveby shitvoting for spurious reasons.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I blame my crippling need for acceptance. Plus im not really that worried. Just going on the existing votes, im unlikely to get voted off the island.

Hal gave a reason, JPB didnt. Thats good enough for me on d1

Its not really helped by

that.

This exchange in particular. JBP's dripping sarcasm there isn't good but it's also not necessarily evidence in favour of a vote against him yet. Coupled with the votes against each other at one point, I reckon one or both of these are going to turn out to be scum.

Intoluene has the lowest post count (they should :justpost:) but at least they have been looking at who's voting and when.

It'd also help if Revolver Anidav could stop gimmickposting because it is getting irritating and makes it harder to get a read which isn't very helpful to town. (aside from the usefulness questioning specific posters and posts, which IS helpful)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Heya mith why are you trying to daisy change some basically first game smuck to a gimmick poster Revolver?

I legit cannot parse this sentence. Did you mean, why did I include RA in my post? Mainly because RA was just above VOTE1 in post count at the time (or maybe even had the same count), and although RA's ratio of shitposting to actual scumhunting and generation of content from other players was quite good, it's just hard to get what they are actually thinking behind the gimmickposting. It's fun for one or two posts but not when I'm tired and trying to get a read.

If that's not the question you were asking please clarify.

Is anyone pinging your scumdar? You are a fairly experienced player, let's see those reads.

Gridlocked posted:

Please question me at any time I have nothing to hide but my super amazing anti-COVID powers from the scum players. And I won't yet share what exactly makes them super and amazing.

Okay! If you actually do have super amazing anti-COVID (presumably pro-town) powers then why the heck would you highlight that you have them on D1? What's the point of playing that card at this stage of the game? You literally only have one vote on you, so it's not like you need to pull it out as a last-ditch measure to save town from lynching one of our own.

Why were you sucking up to RA if not to avoid scrutiny?

That aside, is anyone pinging you as being scummy? Has anyone's posts stood out to you as being particularly helpful or unhelpful? What's your policy on lynching lurkers? Join me for some scumhunting :getin:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lid posted:

that is, literally, what happened

I'm going with hanlon's razor for now. Given you're not sticking with your original vote, any thoughts on who you might actually vote for? there's what, 12 hours left of day 1 and we're nowhere near close enough to a lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Because EVERYONE in this game has been stated to have powers of some sort. I'm stating my power is a town power and fluffing it a bit because I got the CMO as my flavour person.

That's kinda my point--why bother talking about your power at all at this stage if it's already a given that you have one