Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nice and hot piss posted:

Christ, I looked into PMC work with the big WPS II companies as a medic and was offered around $175k a year, and even then that was poo poo pay in comparison to what rates were 5 or so years ago.

Dude should have absolutely high balled the government for at least double that knowing their cosplay gear was on point.

I don’t know gently caress all about the gun carrying contractor world but I’ve done a few things in the office worker contracting scene and this is not uncommon for small, poo poo companies trying to get into the business. Like, I know a few companies that literally have their origin story as a lawyer in Bethesda filing a bullshit bid to provide a couple office workers to some DC agency, lowballs like gently caress either because he’s ignorant of how poo poo works or is trying to aggressively undercut the established guys, and somehow lands it then has to grab whatever yahoos he can find that technically meet the clients requirements.

A lot of the time this tier of firm preys on idiots fresh out of school with no idea what they are worth in the market. Also people fresh out of the military who have a security clearance.

Of course the quality of these workers is frequently abysmal. I knew of one case where the contractor flat out lied about their education. The job required an advanced graduate degree and a clearance. They had a TS/CI (although they contract didn’t require that - I think it capped at public trust) and claimed to have a doctorate.

They did not have a doctorate. This became VERY clear on the job.

Lying about the credential was not a good thing for their clearance from what I understand.

Apparently the poo poo tier firm that employed them did zero looking into their resume.

So yeah. Gun toucher or computer toucher the world of companies that supply services to the government has a really scummy level of bottom feeders that land successful bids once in a while to hilarious results.

Hypothetically there are mechanisms in place to prevent some of this but there are other mechanisms to ensure open bidding processes etc that create space for people in way over their heads to actually get contracted to supply something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

not caring here posted:

Holy poo poo what was DoD getting charged?

Again I don’t know about the gun touching contractors but I’ve been told 30% over cost to employ isn’t unusual. A company I knew that was getting aggressive with pay to draw good talent was only holding 15%

Note that cost to employ isn’t just salary. You’ve got poo poo like health care and 401k and payroll tax etc. For an office worker in the US the rule of thumb is 1.5x salary being cost of employment.

Edit: note that most contracts are a lump award. Again, dunno about gun carrying contractors but usually it’s “x millions of dollars to provide service Y” and the details are spelled out a bit not as fine grained as salaries. So it might be “2 million dollars to employ a team of 12 technicians and 1 supervisor to polish doorknobs” or whatever.

I have zero idea how this works with someone working outside the US though.