Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Who the gently caress takes a meager $100k "per operator" if "the risk is high"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Again I don’t know about the gun touching contractors but I’ve been told 30% over cost to employ isn’t unusual. A company I knew that was getting aggressive with pay to draw good talent was only holding 15%

Note that cost to employ isn’t just salary. You’ve got poo poo like health care and 401k and payroll tax etc. For an office worker in the US the rule of thumb is 1.5x salary being cost of employment.

Edit: note that most contracts are a lump award. Again, dunno about gun carrying contractors but usually it’s “x millions of dollars to provide service Y” and the details are spelled out a bit not as fine grained as salaries. So it might be “2 million dollars to employ a team of 12 technicians and 1 supervisor to polish doorknobs” or whatever.

I have zero idea how this works with someone working outside the US though.

I'm going to assume security contracts are treated the same as any other contract established with the US government. The govt provides line by line everything the contractor needs to provide in the performance work statement/statement of work and the contractors submit their bids. The government is not required to go with the cheapest bid they just have to provide written justification if they don't. The only way the contractor can adjust the cost after the fact is if the govt agrees to it (like if the govt damages rented equipment).

The guy responsible for ensuring the contractor adheres to all the terms in the contract also probably has multiple other contracts they're responsible for on top of also probably having a separate full time job. That's even assuming this individual has the relevant experience or expertise to even competently inspect something like a security contractor.

So yeah, likely lots of contractors out there skimping the US govt.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think I read that one when Doctrine Man shared that article. I like reading the comments when he shares posts like that, the chuds eagerly identify themselves.

Same thing happened when he shared an article about the Ahmaud Arbery murder.

Chuds sure do angry post on the internet a lot, do we have our own angry liberal posters? Like literally every Western WA (ie liberal) news site gets flooded with right wing comments despite being located in a liberal area.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Never even once, couldn't even tell you what that forums about. Haven't set foot in D&D since like....2012 maybe?

GIP, games, and funny pictures are all I use SA for.