Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So there was this vid I clicked on a while back and closed because "I'd surely be able to find it again". And it was basically an explanation vid of how if you have 20 somethings against 15 equal somethings, you'd probably only lose a couple of somethings when they fought. I think it even mentions it being used in real military science and poo poo. I'd assume it was a SotL video but I'll be damned if I can find it. Anyway basically I think the gist was you'll double or triple team an enemy and drop him quick and it'll cascade into a lopsided victory rather than a close one. I have no clue what to look up to find it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Milo and POTUS posted:

So there was this vid I clicked on a while back and closed because "I'd surely be able to find it again". And it was basically an explanation vid of how if you have 20 somethings against 15 equal somethings, you'd probably only lose a couple of somethings when they fought. I think it even mentions it being used in real military science and poo poo. I'd assume it was a SotL video but I'll be damned if I can find it. Anyway basically I think the gist was you'll double or triple team an enemy and drop him quick and it'll cascade into a lopsided victory rather than a close one. I have no clue what to look up to find it either

ask a football coach :shrug:

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this the video?

https://youtu.be/wpjxWBwLkIE

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Please add this to the op, ty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upy3WOgQVvE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Yup

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Can I be invited to the AOE2 games you guys do? I'm mid level to good. Steam ID is Grevling.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’m terrible at this game, but it’s extremely fun. What strats are good on the new maps in the rotation (Kilimanjaro, golden pit)? I’ve been using mostly celts for woad raider rushes and Magyars for good cavalry, but I always seem to get hard countered and crushed.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Grevling posted:

Can I be invited to the AOE2 games you guys do? I'm mid level to good. Steam ID is Grevling.

I'll send an invite the next time I host one. I'll probably be around tonight.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I’m terrible at this game, but it’s extremely fun. What strats are good on the new maps in the rotation (Kilimanjaro, golden pit)? I’ve been using mostly celts for woad raider rushes and Magyars for good cavalry, but I always seem to get hard countered and crushed.

I haven't had a chance to play this rotation yet, but Ornlu is doing videos like this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This game has the opposite of a dunning kruger problem. There are a whole lot of people who have no business being in noob games. Arguably, I'm one of them

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Milo and POTUS posted:

This game has the opposite of a dunning kruger problem. There are a whole lot of people who have no business being in noob games. Arguably, I'm one of them

I think this may be a bit of a holdover from Voobly/HD (before ranked was an option). "Noob" lobbies essentially meant "not in the top 50% of players".

Also Battle of Africa 2 final happening right now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The problem with that is it's terrible for the community as a whole since you're gonna absolutely hemorrhage actual new players. Though by that definition, I am most certainly super noob since I'm maybe at 15-20% win rate for 4v4 team games. I may as well just start playing ladder, since at least I won't be saddled with allies who're still in feudal at the 40 minute mark while the enemy waltzes in with 30 crossbows at 22 minutes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I just like making farms

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Harveygod posted:

I think this may be a bit of a holdover from Voobly/HD (before ranked was an option). "Noob" lobbies essentially meant "not in the top 50% of players".

Also Battle of Africa 2 final happening right now.

In my experience it equates to "doesn't play ranked". I've been kicked from noob lobbies multiple times just for having ranked games on record despite having a 1/5 W/L record and probably being worse at the game than the ones who kicked me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah the community is not... spectacular. I'd go so far as to call a bunch of them unlikable assholes in fact

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I had good experiences. People giving tips after the game or answering when I ask them how to fight against their rush/unit comp etc. Only played ranked 1v1 though.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Anyone who hasn't bought DE yet, it's currently on sale for 25% off.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

loved this game as a kid, picked it up during the steam sale.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats a good civ for someone who hasn't played in a while like since HD release?

I was spamming Huns in 1v1s just because of the max pop from the start made it easy to play early on and they are not as wood intensive early on.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Ulio posted:

Whats a good civ for someone who hasn't played in a while like since HD release?

I was spamming Huns in 1v1s just because of the max pop from the start made it easy to play early on and they are not as wood intensive early on.

Huns will still work. I'm partial to Mongols, myself. Mangudai (their unique unit, a better cavalry archer) are like my favorite unit in the game.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Ulio posted:

Lithuanians are a nice beginner civ since they start with +150 food. It gives you a bit of a buffer if you're slow to find your sheep/boar early on, or you can use it to make a few extra scouts or similar in feudal age.

They've also got a nice focus in castle age to find the relics and go hard on cavalry, since each one gives +1 attack to the knight line and their unique unit. If you get 2 or 3 + some blacksmith upgrades they're very powerful and even easily take out their counter units if the opponent hasn't massed too many.

Faster moving skirmishers + spearmen are nice too, make it easier to chase down scouts or archers running around your base if you get rushed early on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice thanks lads, I do want to try the new civs so will give Liths a try. I know they can get paladins late game so thats always good.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Their Leitis uu is considered pretty busted good atm too.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I just played my 3rd ranked game and won - my first win against a human!! :toot:

If you're afraid of playing ranked because you think you're not good enough, play ranked anyway! There's someone out there who will lose to you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Watching ELO legends and you'll feel much better about yourself

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Watching ELO legends and you'll feel much better about yourself

this also helped haha

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Never got into multiplayer for this, but that's more because I never get into multiplayer on *any* RTS.

Love the campaigns though. Since I got the game, I've been slowly working through them in order of release, and am starting into Le Loi, now.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Yeah I mostly stick to ranked matches now since it will eventually find opponents who are a perfect fit for you and folks are less likely to drop early in team games. Highly recommend over getting stomped by "noobs" in random lobby games.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Yea, matched ranked was a little intimidating at first, but it feels like it matches me up evenly enough where if I lose, it’s usually because of one of my many mistakes.

The map pool rotations seem fun, but man, gently caress acropolis. What a nerve wracking map.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Got a 100% win rate in ranked games :cool:

My first opponent dropped shortly after reaching feudal

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Got a 100% win rate in ranked games :cool:

My first opponent dropped shortly after reaching feudal

this is age of empires, its called a surrender, good job noble victor!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

75% win rate, babay. I keep it up and soon it'll start pairing me up with people who can clobber me for like 20 games in a row and my interest will evaporate again.

Viga_TCB
Dec 12, 2018
The fact that this thread has just 3 pages of replies while c&c remastered has a LOT more makes me sad... The meta is much better in this than that IMO but perhaps ppl are more nostalgic towards that instead.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Viga_TCB posted:

The fact that this thread has just 3 pages of replies while c&c remastered has a LOT more makes me sad... The meta is much better in this than that IMO but perhaps ppl are more nostalgic towards that instead.

people are allowed to post about and like the wrong bad games if they want to

all hail king of the losers, basically

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Viga_TCB posted:

It's kinda sad but I love CnC too. Considering how atrophied this thread is though when they do remake RA2 it'll similarly fizzle lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's kinda sad but I love CnC too. Considering how atrophied this thread is though when they do remake RA2 it'll similarly fizzle lol

Uh, don't take SA as a litmus test to how active a game is, champ.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Milo and POTUS posted:

I organized a bunch of the Goon games but it's summer so I've been beaching and my brother is getting married so I haven't been as active. I'll post until the final fizzle.

Milo and POTUS posted:

75% win rate, babay.

Congratulations on this!

On my own front, I finally won a game with the Lithuanian Super Drush. (Build a barracks and send 2 militia as soon as the game begins and attack by 3 minutes.). Acropolis is a perfect map for it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i'm fascinated by this game but i have terrible micro skills. if i learn to execute a fast castle, but am still fairly slow with hotkeys etc, will i stand a chance against lovely players, at least?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

I like playing AOE2 as a compstomp and just making hundreds of villagers and being the resource breadbasket for my human cohorts

until late game when I take my amassed riches and swarm the remaining enemy with whatever my most dumb expensive units are

I was/am utterly terrible at taking AoE II seriously so comp-stomps like this are still all I do, but at this point I'd have it no other way. My usual group for this game has even gotten worse over the years because once the option turned up in HD we immediately set the treaty to 90 minutes; we all start off well then just gently caress around like dickheads with high doses of laziness and complacency thrown in ("eh, we've still got 60 minutes left"). It doesn't help that it's usually treated as a 'secondary' game over an evening session, so by the time we start playing AoE half of us are pissed-up and even more useless than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

beer gas canister posted:

i'm fascinated by this game but i have terrible micro skills. if i learn to execute a fast castle, but am still fairly slow with hotkeys etc, will i stand a chance against lovely players, at least?

Yes. After a few losses, you'll find yourself among like-skilled players. T90 had a Low-Elo Legends stream today and a guy was afk for like an hour (while his opponent boomed and didn't bother attacking).

You can also live-spectate games. AoE2.net is a good site for finding live games and you can sort by Elo rating.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

set the treaty to 90 minutes

:stonk: