Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Sign me up.

I solemnly swear that I will read and understand my role PM this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Can't wait for the lie to be forced when I get a completely encrypted role pm

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm going to believe everyone who tells me they're town, scum aren't allowed to say they're town if they're not, it's against the rules.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's not me, I'm a trustworthy guy, you can trust me

If you're trustworthy then were you lying when you scumclaimed before the game began?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
No the logic is very simple, if Jose is trustworthy, then the pre-game scumclaim can be trusted, if Jose is not trustworthy then they're a good d1 vote, gg, see you all d2

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##vote dmboogie

dmboogie lurked the entire game up to this point then comes up with a vote, using an appeal to emotion ("happy") and the word "help" to disguise the malicious intent

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
cpig is clearly lying about purchasing golden girls dvds when it would be cheaper and more convenient right now to simply access it via streaming sites

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Scientastic posted:

Fully setting up to jump on the bandwagon of potentially taking Andy’s “scumclaim” seriously but waiting to see how the cards fell before actually committing to it.

Backing down, but still not fully committing to it, so he can come back and pin his colours to the mast if it looks like popular opinion goes to me or Andy.

Scum: FOUND

Sandwolf was pretty quick to do this

Sandwolf posted:

##vote Sub Rosa

in response to Sub Rosa's vote on Andy. I think what he said later is consistent with that action. What do you make of it?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

xopods posted:

Yeah, ##vote Scientastic

I really don't like this whole "I was just kidding to provoke a reaction" backpedal. The original vote on Andy didn't seem like a joke to me, especially not after this response to me:

It's scummy the way he's now backpedaling from it and making it out like the whole point from the start was to see who'd react. Especially when supposedly scummy reactions include: (1) Voting Andy, (2) Defending Andy, (3) Being on the fence about Andy.

I think this is a good case for what we have of the game so far

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tom Tucker posted:

Had to go back and check who did it look how trusting this is scum implicitly trust claims because they know they have all the (or most of) the liars. Why would you just trust a weird miller vote them to empower claim otherwise.

I get that you COULD believe Squiggs, but that isn’t what’s going on here. Steak is accepting the claim at face value, no “I believe you” or “if that is your ability it’s cool” just a straight jump directly to believing. Because scum believe claims at their face value.

##vote steak

This seems like a really forced and bad read, the claim was the power to let town talk at night, something that would quickly either be proved to be true or outed as a falsehood outright.

##vote Tom Tucker

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tom Tucker posted:

If you think that’s the case then you have a failure of imagination. I can think of a dozen ways scum claim this, it’s confirmed, and they waltz away based on lazy thinking.

I agree that Squiggly having the ability would not 100% prove his alignment but it would prove that he wasn't lying about that aspect of it, and that isn't really the point of my vote on you I think your reasoning for assuming Steak was acting in a scummy way in that spot was not good reasoning and I think that was a scummy case.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Okay, I get what you're saying. I don't think that's the scumslip you think it is but hearing your thought processes that sounds less forced than I first read it.

##unvote

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think Jeabus' list of drive-by reads and the main reason for a "scum ping" on merk being that he hasn't really done anything doesn't sit well with me, I think if someone were sincerely interested in finding scum they'd be more interested in explaining those reads without being asked and that scum reads would be more likely to flow from posting and not simply a lurking/low activity read this early in the game.

##vote Jeabus

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tom Tucker posted:

Some of my primary scumtells on Steak:

1) encouraging people to push other people more, without really weighing in on the case itself:

2) response to Spoonsy:

(then votes Spoonsy). Opportunistic, dismissive, tonally it implies scumminess without stating it. Subtle way of saying "this is so scummy I don't even need to explain why" to avoid actually explaining why using his trademark "lmfao"

3) zero content spam (not gonna quote all this it's everywhere)

4) re-purposing language to hide behind in order to start a wifom chain around the launch leader

5) taking absurd claim at face value

6) railroading by stating what a vote candidate would have to do to not look scummy, thus putting them in a lose-lose, if Spoonsy comes back and participates (which he would as town) it makes it look like it's in response to Steak's threat

7) massive tonal shift in content after being voted for, starting here.

Then a second massive tonal shift in content after momentum builds:

8) Meta defenses - when I'm town I talk like this, but when I'm scum I walk like this!

Steak, despite tons of posting, has had extremely low content. He constantly injects dismissive exclamations into his posts, yet then 180s into seriously responding to people who talk about him, then performative "lmao" at people talking about him, then back to serious when it's about him. His "case" on Spoonsy is never made, merely "lmao"d as if it were a fact, then he further railroads Spoonsy by boxing him in with a "if you're town do this" when it is what any town WOULD do, putting Spoonsy in a no-win scenario. His reaction to Squigg's claim was too immediate and too trusting, and felt like scum looking to get in early on what they would assume was a pro-town roleclaim support. His early-game drivebys of "what do you think about X?" and effective "tell me mores" on other cases pushes them without him actually going on the record with anything.

It's a long and dreary list of scum tells wrapped in a performative air of cavalier confidence and dismissiveness with hard detours into serious conversation whenever people point out how scummy he is.

Vote for Steak.

Answer me this, from your posting I get the impression you have a town read on Spoonsy. You also build a thorough case around Steak here. When you initially voted on Steak earlier, one of your reasons was that you believed that Steak uncritically believing Squiggly's claim. However, Spoonsy, who you have a town read on, did roughly the same thing with cpig's n0 cop claim. What is different about these two players with regards to that that you read Spoonsy is town and Steak is scum?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##vote steak

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
my guess would be the command "vote steal" is actually supposed to say vote steak

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
who cheered as he drank quite the brew

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The flavor of the flip makes it really clear that Spoonsy typoed "vote steak" and that the command wasn't "##vote steal" and also "##echo" since a dual command to do one thing would be really weird. What is interesting is all the shade that came down about that before hammer dropped.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CapnAndy posted:

Yes it was obviously a typo in retrospect but you don't see how Spoonsy typing "vote steal" and then another power action and suddenly revealing himself to have the ability to manipulate the vote with ten minutes to deadline drew negative reactions?

I think there were some scum on the Spoonsy vote and that it's worth considering if some of those reactions were less natural. It wouldn't be the basis for a case on its own, no.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CapnAndy posted:

:raise:

Nobody said if they visited anyone last night on D1, because they couldn't have. How did you have an action to fail?

This is technically untrue because of cpig's shitpost n0 claim.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

b-minus1 posted:

So what if anything was happening there? Is maigus scum or could this be scum trying to redirect the conversation away from steak? steak only had one vote at this point but he was definitely on everyone's radar. Need to think about this more.

Maybe, though Spoonsy in that stack doesn't fit for me. Steak has some pretty useful abilities, so while Spoonsy could be scum, I don't think they're on the same scum team because I think they would have tried to ensure Steak lives between the two of them.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Scientastic posted:

##Vote Nep Nep

I know you've sinced moved this vote but I'd like to respond to this.

You kind of let the case of 3 posts speak for itself, at least in regards to the post, then later add this:

Scientastic posted:

I have, thats why I am voting for Nep, who clearly didn't want to execute Steak and repeatedly poured cold water on Tom Tucker's case and trid to direct to Spoonsy

When I finally moved my vote yesterday near the end, I happened to vote Steak. I could've gone either way on Spoonsy or Steak, at the end I chose Steak mostly because I felt that he's hard to read. Spoonsy might be too but I have less experience with him. I don't feel it's a fair characterization that I tried to direct to spoonsy, and I don't know how you'd get that from my posting. The third post of mine you quoted in your vote post, I'll note that you quoted and then said "this is a good post" at the time, and I still stand by the post because I wasn't making the post to say "don't vote for steak" but because Tom Tucker's opinions about matters that seemed similar to me were polar opposites, and for purposes of scumhunting I wanted to see how he would justify this. If he hadn't flipped I would have thought he was town today because the answer that he gave seemed well thought out.

In particular you say I "tried to direct to Spoonsy." If this is a real opinion I would like you to show what in particular you read as me trying to do that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Scientastic posted:

I thought it was a good post at the time, obviously in light of Steak's flip, it looks less good now

It's the drawing of an equivalency between Steak and Spoonsy's posting, it felt like trying to make them comparable and therefore easy to switch between. It's a fairly subtle thing, I appreciate that, it just felt like you're connecting the two to say "well, you think Steak is scummy, you should think Spoonsy is too!"

Nah, I was sniffing for fake opinions. TT's response was satisfying so I didn't have anything more to say about it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm fine with the merk vote, I did a full reread of merk and I don't really have anything to add but

merk posted:

LordNad makes the vote 11/10 with Steak over Spoonsy here. If Spoonsy isn't scum, I think LordNad looks town for this vote.

I think this post and its surrounding context are the sticking point for me, it doesn't look like scumhunting to me to see someone takeaway a "looks town" read from vote analysis and not really work to express any other opinions or calls from it.

##vote merk

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
okay then I'll bite, why do you think sandwolf is scum

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Sandwolf posted:

I can see this scientastic thing as a last minute bus tbh but who knows until he flips

If merk turns out to be scum I'd be more likely to think a bus would have been on you since part of what caused merk to get in the crosshairs was the scientastic/merk back and forth, which makes me think they at the least aren't bussing each other.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

merk posted:

What happens when I flip town?

Then I don't conclude anyone was bussing you, obviously

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In terms of where I think I'm probably going to be on scientastic tomorrow if merk flips town just because their big exchange doesn't feel like a town v town interaction to me

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Actually let's do scientastic instead, I didn't really do my due diligence and consider timestamps when I read merk earlier. That call out of a town read is followed a few minutes later by a case on sci, paying attention to the when recontextualizes that for me.

##vote scientastic

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I see we're -1, I'm not gonna do it right now but I could

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SalTheBard posted:

I'm phone posting, but what I saw in the thread I'm ok with ##vote merk. I still think it's amazing that Maigius hasn't been cuddled yet when he's been acting very scummy.

That does not sound like a reason for voting Merk?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##vote Sal

Let's see if it can happen

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There seems to be enough hard dissent against the Sal vote that I don't think it's actually gonna happen.

##vote merk

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I still don't know Sal's alignment and I didn't think merk was scum. Turned out to be wrong.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Sandwolf posted:

this bit about Sal’s alignment feels like awkward wording

okay

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jose Valasquez posted:

That's one way to look at it, another way is that you were lurking trying to avoid voting merk, saw people didn't like Sal's post and rushed in to try to make a last minute vote flip

I didn't feel confident about either of the two main candidates, thought Sal's vote was bad and thought it seemed a good idea. So you got most of that right, but I'm town.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

LordNad posted:

Technopolis just means that Merk was a TECH. Even though he had SKILLs, they had to deal with TECH items. From the OP "2. Each role can be one or more of the following role types: TECH, SKILL, MAGIC."

Fantasia means Steak was a MAGIC. Obvious with his spells.

The scum group is called Magi-Tech. So far the flips make sense.

What you say makes sense but I have reason to believe this isn't the case.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SalTheBard posted:

I have information, I think the best way to give it is to claim. I'm an even night "group" cop. Basically I pick 3 people and if any of those people are not town I will know. To that end I've been keeping a pretty detailed spreadsheet on this game. There are a handful of people that voted for both Spoonsy D1 and Maigius D2. I picked two of those people (DGK2000 and Dmboogie) and then I picked someone who tried to cuddle me (Nep Nep). The intel I got back is that one of those 3 is Not Town (Full disclosure they could be a 3p or something). So I think those 3 are a good place to start and Maigius if the grave robber is one of those 3 it would be good to know.

If this is true I would think DGK looks worse of the two, both are content light, both had the same d2 voting pattern of just voting for Maigius, but DGK took a hard line of defense on merk, telling scientastic he was tunneling and yet not even providing any other potential candidates or content worth looking at, just leaning on the seemingly easy/safe Maigius vote.

##vote DGK2000

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

LordNad posted:

Also I need everyone to mention once that they visited someone. Anyone (my mom, Ghandi, the president, santa claus). I just need a definitive statement they visited someone.

I have not done any actions in this game so far, including last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Sub Rosa posted:

My reading of Merk's Scavenge skill is that it loots all items, not just one item. So why would PQ's grave be disturbed again if PQ doesn't have any items left to loot? Also wouldn't be to steal PQ's brain, because PQ isn't a SKILL role?

PQ's grave wasn't disturbed again, Amnistar posted a corrected version of the day 2 opening post