Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

when's the last time a match has had that much denim

Probably not since reign of terror HHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Coaaab posted:

those are gonna some very lewd, nsfw minions coming up on his screen, then
not sure if you can swat with impunity nowadays, but i still genuinely hope that doesn't happen to that dude

Oh not at all - there are idiots getting arrested for it regularly but people still do it to streamers etc even after seeing the consequences because they think they can't be traced behind a VPN (they easily can) so there's no looking for logical decisions in a broken brain

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That guy deserves a swirlie :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

when's the last time a match has had that much denim

When's the last time Orange Cassidy wrestled?

Also:
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1258227379106975746?s=20

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

That guy deserves a swirlie :colbert:

At the very least a wedgie

I was going to say a wet willy but I don't know if that translates to things other than licking your finger and putting it in someone's ear outside of where I'm from

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Was the Jake the Snake thing gross or is this the f4w recapper’s weird anti AEW bias? I didn’t watch the episode, but i’m probably gonna watch the PPV.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Davros1 posted:

Last week or two weeks ago against Havoc.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Was the Jake the Snake thing gross or is this the f4w recapper’s weird anti AEW bias? I didn’t watch the episode, but i’m probably gonna watch the PPV.

It was pretty gross, but I wasn’t offended by it and thought it upped the ante to the Cody/Archer thing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

It was gross

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Davros1 posted:

matt's jncos alone have more denim in them than cassidys full gear

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Eat My Fuc posted:

it was gross but jake is a gross old man so that was kind of the point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blackshreds posted:

It was pretty gross, but I wasn’t offended by it and thought it upped the ante to the Cody/Archer thing.

I would have found it upsetting if the announcers painted it as anything other than reprehensible. This was one time that commentary definitely benefited from there not being any heel announcer, because if even one person was out there yukking it up, it would have come off really bad. As it was, all of them were really clear that everyone was supposed to think this was a reprehensible act.

It also helps that in real life Brandi is a high ranked executive, and a pretty assertive lady, and her husband an EVP, so there's no way she'd be pressured into participating in the angle if she wasn't down with it. (She's also done an angle on the heel side before where she forcibly kissed Kenny, so it's not like she's shy about doing this kind of stuff in pursuit of an angle). If it was some new woman wrestler who might think her job depended on dealing with the angle, I'd be more worried about the real life behind the scenes part.

With all that in mind, I didn't find it more offensive than the villain in a movie groping a heroine. You're supposed to dislike him for it and hope he eventually gets kicked in the nuts. But I can certainly understand why some people are more sensitive to these kinds of angles than others.

It also was like a minute long bit and was pretty quickly blown away by the chaos of the street fight.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't get to watch the show but based on the recap wasn't the entire point of that segment for him to be creepy and uncomfortable like his character has been since the 80s

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sugar Blaster posted:

it was gross but jake is a gross old man so that was kind of the point.
i'm getting worked by it because brandi's all "stop initiating all this gross poo poo old man" and jake's all "nuh-uh" and brandi just takes it on the chin w/o a complaint in the world. probably needed a paying crowd there so there'd be some loud booing

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I didn't get to watch the show but wasn't the entire point of him to be creepy and uncomfortable like his character has been since the 80s

Absolutely

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

He's still got it

Seriously though when I read the recap I just started flashing back to him being creepy around Elizabeth during his feud with Macho Man and how people HATED him for putting Elizabeth in any kind of danger. As a kid it totally worked on me and I hated him too. Then he let his snake bite Macho and I went out of my mind. Good times.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coaaab posted:

i'm getting worked by it because brandi's all "stop initiating all this gross poo poo old man" and jake's all "nuh-uh" and brandi just takes it on the chin w/o a complaint in the world

I don't know where you get the last part from. She cut a big promo before the match on Jake about how he better shut his dirty old man mouth, and then during the snake stuff she was knocked out by Britt, she couldn't complain.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The snake thing was fine but I didn't care for the simulated sex/rape. I hope that's not repeated and that it was Jake being creepy and improvising.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

how does maryland still have kayfabed wrestling regulations, i thought vince managed to get rid of all those in the early 90s.
There are still athletic commissions that sanction pro wrestling in close to half of the states in the union. (And Washington, DC.) How strict they are varies wildly. Useful reading from my Deadspin archives are my articles about :

* The 30th anniversary of the New Jersey deregulation push that made the major headlines: https://deadspin.com/thirty-years-ago-wwe-admitted-it-wasnt-a-sport-to-try-1832640826

* Louisiana's bullshit going into WrestleMania 2 years ago: https://deadspin.com/how-louisianas-archaic-commission-rules-will-burden-wre-1824118577

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The thing I've found most interesting about AEW is how it mixes the newer hyper-athletic in-ring stuff with the more kind of 80s wrestling storytelling and context.

Sometimes you get the pathos of that awesome "whipping the hell out of Cody" segment and sometimes you get Jake's deal tonight. I absolutely get why people in 2020 are skeeved out by it but I think that's the reaction they were shooting for. This is a "throwback" sort of angle and that was definitely the sort of scene you could picture in a rickety smoke-filled arena with grandmas cussing him out from ringside.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm not trying to "well actually" anyone who was grossed out by that angle or dismiss their concerns, but Jake has always been one of those old-school guys who thinks the heels should be as despicable as possible, and we're pretty sure that Cody and Brandi agree. For better or worse, that angle accomplished everything they were going for.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I havent watched Matt Hardy in like 15+ years, since he left raw the first time in the 00's (didnt watch smackdown). I don't think i "get" this new character. it's a lot.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I thought for a second when she got rolled in they were gonna recreate the Macho snake bite on Brandy. Definitely had my anxiety going for a sec, it’s weird feeling the hatred for the bad guys in wrestling I haven’t felt since I was ten, however fleeting it is.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
My very minor complaint of the night is that I really wish they had the faces win the main event, since it's the first night back from the COVID hole in Georgia.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm not watching during coronavirus but I'm here with a meme from C-SPAM, enjoy

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Punch McLightning posted:

My very minor complaint of the night is that I really wish they had the faces win the main event, since it's the first night back from the COVID hole in Georgia.

I'm guessing they're building to the big return of the Young Bucks

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know where you get the last part from. She cut a big promo before the match on Jake about how he better shut his dirty old man mouth, and then during the snake stuff she was knocked out by Britt, she couldn't complain.
what i meant was outside of kayfabe, she let jake drape this big ol' live snake over her and she didn't flinch or break, she was there to do a job and sell

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davidbix posted:

There are still athletic commissions that sanction pro wrestling in close to half of the states in the union. (And Washington, DC.) How strict they are varies wildly. Useful reading from my Deadspin archives are my articles about :

* The 30th anniversary of the New Jersey deregulation push that made the major headlines: https://deadspin.com/thirty-years-ago-wwe-admitted-it-wasnt-a-sport-to-try-1832640826

* Louisiana's bullshit going into WrestleMania 2 years ago: https://deadspin.com/how-louisianas-archaic-commission-rules-will-burden-wre-1824118577

The DC commissioners that showed up at Prime Time Pro shows were pretty much entirely booed, to the probably kayfabe chagrin of the show runners.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Coaaab posted:

i'm getting worked by it because brandi's all "stop initiating all this gross poo poo old man" and jake's all "nuh-uh" and brandi just takes it on the chin w/o a complaint in the world. probably needed a paying crowd there so there'd be some loud booing
there was a segment right before the archer match where brandi outlined how she expected jake to play things out using conventional "i've watched wrestling before" logic and told him to shut his crusty old man lips. she played into his trap because he is basically just disgusting-rear end jack welker from breaking bad and is playing by a completely different set of rules.

e: just saw your followup post

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I don't demand much, but I demand this be put into the OP https://twitter.com/GetDaTables/status/1258214021343444992

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Coaaab posted:

what i meant was outside of kayfabe, she let jake drape this big ol' live snake over her and she didn't flinch or break, she was there to do a job and sell

She sold the snake better than Mox did

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, that main event loving ruled

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I groaned when I saw Jake without his mask midway through that Archer match. Please just keep it on, please.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
The dozens of people without masks backstage for the street fight took me out of it. Really enjoyed the rest of the show.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

explosivo posted:

Man, that main event loving ruled

It's a match that I hope someday they release somewhere with behind the scenes commentary from the four guys in it.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
the booking of it was pretty nicely built up too. started mostly in the ring without much plunder, then started escalating after they did the table spot and then just went batty after matt escaped the freezer.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coaaab posted:

Well yeah, but her telling him to stop talking about her is a work too. She's an executive of the company and her husband is an EVP, Jake wouldn't be saying this stuff if she was actually offended by it. His promos weren't even live, they were pre-taped, so if Brandi wasn't comfortable in real life with this angle, they could have just edited the part about her out of it and told Jake offscreen to knock that off. Like I said before, Brandi isn't some kind of shrinking flower and she's done angles like this before -- hell, they did a gag for MONTHS on the indie circuit where she would accidentally get knocked out by Cody during a match and then Joey Ryan would show up and steal her away while she was unconscious.

(edit) just remembering that stupid feud led to Brandi actually taking a back bump into thumbtacks before tapping Joey out. 2017 was a weird time

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 7, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Neodoomium posted:

It's a match that I hope someday they release somewhere with behind the scenes commentary from the four guys in it.

"Ouch"

"ow"

"That part really hurt"

"Kenny, what the hell were you thinking?"

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

"So Matt and Kenny never told me they were going to run me over..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Salty Affair
Oct 9, 2012

Jake needs to handle that snake better, I swear I saw him step on it :smith: