Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The worst part about hearing Metallica on the classic rock station is realizing you’re getting old. The best part is they only play old Metallica so poo poo owns.

E: New page tax is Dio being the most metal guy at the D&D table.

https://youtu.be/2lvs2FzF64o

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Do people still listen to the actual radio? Seems weird!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Les Os posted:

I think hiding those subliminal messages in the White Album telling Charlie Manson to start a race war would hardly qualify them as “the best”

if they did that its certainly pretty remarkable that they pulled it off, at least

either way they are very musically interesting and very sophisticated for a rock band without being wanky showoffs like Rush or whatever.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

The_Continental posted:

Where does Steely Dan fall in this continuum?

The trashcan out back

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ive liked classic rock for the last 30 years

i probably still do tbh

reload is one of the best classic rock albums there is and unforgiven 2 is one of the best songs ever written

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
classic rock ballard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hj8BRV8Jls

radio djs love to play it so they can go have a smoke break.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Happy Hedonist posted:

Do people still listen to the actual radio? Seems weird!

100.7 WZLX in the greater Boston area plays a version of the Doobie Brothers’ Black Water that is in super low bitrate MP3 format. You can tell because at the end of the song when there are multiple people singing together, you only hear one of them at a time. It’s been like that for at least 15 years and nobody seems to notice.

So nobody “listens” to it, they just turn it on and leave it as white noise because setting up a Spotify account and thinking about what your listening to is too much work.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i own every Bionicle posted:

100.7 WZLX in the greater Boston area plays a version of the Doobie Brothers’ Black Water that is in super low bitrate MP3 format. You can tell because at the end of the song when there are multiple people singing together, you only hear one of them at a time. It’s been like that for at least 15 years and nobody seems to notice.

So nobody “listens” to it, they just turn it on and leave it as white noise because setting up a Spotify account and thinking about what your listening to is too much work.

Yikes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Listening to unknown bitrate black water on Google play music now

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AFewBricksShy posted:

This was always one of my favorite songs, not just classic rock songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJRdDhnTRoo
Merry Clayton (the female vocalist) just kills it. If you listen super close at 3:01 when her voice cracks just a touch on that crazy high note, you can hear Keith Richards yell "YEAH!" because he knew it was loving awesome.

Gimme Shelter might be the best song ever made.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It really is a good song

When I drive thru the big dig I listen to it and pretend I'm in a scorcese movie

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

60s is way too late to be classic.

Post real classic rock ITT:
https://youtu.be/eFFgbc5Vcbw

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dont Touch ME posted:

60s is way too late to be classic.

Post real classic rock ITT:
https://youtu.be/eFFgbc5Vcbw

i see you and raise you

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

Beatles are cool

are we still having to say this? they obviously had some great songs but they had a lot of hot garbage too. just because a bunch of women who are now in their 80s got a fondue in their shorts in the 1960s over them it seems that we're obligated to forever genuflect every time someone brings up the beatles.

also i loving hate that Imagine song. I mean like white hot rage every time i heart it. Imagine no beatles, there I said it

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
some classic rock is garbage and some of it is ok and a much smaller percentage of it is really good

i'm glad i could clear this up for you op

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well that just won grossest post of the year

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

youre dick posted:

are we still having to say this? they obviously had some great songs but they had a lot of hot garbage too. just because a bunch of women who are now in their 80s got a fondue in their shorts in the 1960s over them it seems that we're obligated to forever genuflect every time someone brings up the beatles.

also i loving hate that Imagine song. I mean like white hot rage every time i heart it. Imagine no beatles, there I said it

Sorry you don't like your parents

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

youre dick posted:

never talk to me again

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
A lot of the beatles output is overhyped but Revolver is a legit great album.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The Beatles are fine. In fact, they’re pretty good—great, even—but they haven’t existed as a band for half a century now and any semblance of “relevance” the still have today is yet another result of annoying Boomer nostalgia. There was a good deal of Boomer pearl-clutching a few years back when some website (can’t remember which one off the top of my head, I’ll have to look for it) polled a whole bunch of the highest-earning musicians from the 2010s and almost none of them gave a flying gently caress about the Beatles.

That’s not to say that it’s not okay to listen to and actively enjoy the Beatles in TYOOL 2020. Hell, I’m a doofus who legit enjoys the type of classic/“Dad” rock being posted in this thread, but it’s time to accept that the world has moved on from the Beatles, and from guitar-driven Rock in general.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It's not just Nirvana. I have a coworker who puts on classic rock radio sometimes and they play a lot of 90s alternative stuff, and even Green Day songs from the 2000s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Molly Hatchet had some of the coolest cover art that never matched the music.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Statutory Ape posted:

Sorry you don't like your parents

meh. They were classical music (Like Mozart, not 97.7 Classic Rock FM) people. Mostly it was/is just that the Beatles are held up as this exemplar of everything that rock should be, far in excess of their contribution to music, and people act like being interested in the beatles makes you unique or interesting in any way. big loving deal, you liked a pop-rock band and bought their LPs, congrats on being so important

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Thanks for letting us know that the kids don't care about old music. It's too bad there's no GBS jazz thread. I could use a hot take on how Coltrane isn't relevant anymore either.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

never talk to me again

oh no, not that

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Sheen Sheen posted:

The Beatles are fine. In fact, they’re pretty good—great, even—but they haven’t existed as a band for half a century now and any semblance of “relevance” the still have today is yet another result of annoying Boomer nostalgia. There was a good deal of Boomer pearl-clutching a few years back when some website (can’t remember which one off the top of my head, I’ll have to look for it) polled a whole bunch of the highest-earning musicians from the 2010s and almost none of them gave a flying gently caress about the Beatles.

That’s not to say that it’s not okay to listen to and actively enjoy the Beatles in TYOOL 2020. Hell, I’m a doofus who legit enjoys the type of classic/“Dad” rock being posted in this thread, but it’s time to accept that the world has moved on from the Beatles, and from guitar-driven Rock in general.

Agreed with all of this. a few years ago when Apple got the rights to the beatles library for whichever stupid streaming service, you would have thought that Steve Jobs came back to life and personally touched a whole bunch of writers, from Vox to The Atlantic to the NY Times. EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT NOW

no, it isn't. You're just going to be able to stream a bunch of songs that you have heard 15,000 times on the radio already. Try listening to something else. Maybe what it is is a bunch of boomers angry that rock and roll's day has come and gone and are trying to re-establish dominance. I'm glad there's new music out there, and the more variety you push into Pandora or Spotify or whatever you use, the more interesting your music life will be. I became aware of Hilltop Hoods last year, and am very happy that happened

edit: what im saying is we'll see a similar dynamic in 50 years when a bunch of people who are now in their 20s will claim that Harry Potter is still the greatest book ever written and no i've never read another book why do you ask

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Quote =/= edit

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
enough hot takes, shut the gently caress up and listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyF1FwiYcoQ

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Sheen Sheen posted:

You’re welcome. You’d be surprised, but it’s a concept that a lot of people are shocked to find out about!

Strangely enough, the only person here arguing over the "relevance" of old music is you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheAardvark posted:

enough hot takes, shut the gently caress up and listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyF1FwiYcoQ

no

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Tricky D posted:

Strangely enough, the only person here arguing over the "relevance" of old music is you.

ok boomer

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Mark Knopfler is legit very good at the guitar.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Bob Seger or bust

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qIQjUy5B0

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

This except the Metallica version

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Get out.

of Denver, baby.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I present to you—the best classic rock song

https://youtu.be/vj_rvLVpqg8

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I like a lot of classic rock, grew up on it and enjoy dad rock radio stations to this day.

I never really got into the beatles though. I can respect the influence but that's about it. I don't actively dislike them, but in terms of music I'd actively want to turn on it's incredibly low on the list. I legit have a hard time understanding the appeal outside of like a history of music perspective, in terms of albums one might casually listen to today it feels like almost anything else well known from that era holds up better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait are we supposed to make fun of dad rock or post it unirocnically?

Because obviously Rainbow is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJIccPWnEk
and has to be followed by this immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2m8TlDwNIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait are we supposed to make fun of dad rock or post it unirocnically?

Because obviously Rainbow is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJIccPWnEk
and has to be followed by this immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2m8TlDwNIk

:hai: