Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

whenever some piece of non-superhero media shows one superhero (as part of the setting proper or a fiction-in-a-fiction) it will be either a riff on superman, or animal-themed, or have some bizarre theme/name played for laffs

but when they present a whole team, there are archetypes that pop up over and over again. lets document those types!!

there is almost always a superman-type, but its fairly common that this is blended w the flag-hero type to be an america-themed superman

flag-clad patriot hero

there is a batman. its just batman but w one to three things changed (has explicit sneaking powers, is a wizard/demon, diff animal theme, etc). has a sidekick a lot of the time

at least one hero will deffo have a sidekick tho

armored suit hero, or robot. robot is prob more common tbh. sometimes a cyborg instead

hulk. usually dumb as a post

a lady, who plays specifically on being a lady somehow. often a weird chud vision of feminism. because wonder woman is so familiar, this sometimes is combined w the next type as one character

myth-based hero. sometimes based on folk/faerie stories instead. sometimes the same as the prev type (as mentioned) or the next one

literally just a wizard

hot powers, cold powers, or both together

super-speed person

tandem powers duo. i think this is because of the wonder twins

someone whose only power is possession of one impressive magical item

some kinda riff on spider-man (USUALLY PRESENT)

a child or youth. often as a sidekick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

So um though is Spider-Man just a batman though? If not, why not?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lmao just check out Astro City my dude it'll lay out every major archetype clear as day

then check out Top 10 for some cute remix versions

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I like the dragon types even though they got nerfed a few generations back

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Military guy, he doesn't have powers but he still kills everyone.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

my superpower is to post. thought and effort are my kryptonite

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What about a shapeshifter? Usually there's a shapeshifter right?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
guy who flies, but not very fast and not very strong

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Guy who has no powers but makes sarcastic remarks all the time but usually when there is a fight he isn't immediately killed and holds his own somehow but sometimes he is knocked out to remind people he has no powers and could theoretically be in danger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Superhero parodies have changed up a bit as the movies got big. I think usually they're more specific.

Suddenly remembering how the Kids Next Door Christmas special was a Christmas-themed riff on the Dark Phoenix Saga, with Santa's elves as the X-Men.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
a muslim/gay/another nation than the US-character pandering to another demographic that is introduced as super strong but then quickly marginalised

e: trendy fad char that is forgotten in a few years, like somebody who is really good at accessing the internet, disco dancing, skateboarding, etc. Marginalised eventually.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The space alien character who does not understand the strange ways of humanity but for various reasons has nothing better to do than hang around Earth and protect its people.