Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's valuable to some in different ways. The people worried about becoming trapped in a cult usually are not prone to doing so. Usually people trapped were either born into it and have strong familial ties or they had an intense need to belong to a group. These people will usually follow the cult leader until provided with copious amounts of fraud and chicanery and even that isn't enough to dissuade many away.

Holy Hell (2016) is a recent documentary that may shed some more light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Thank you for your response, I started to look into find this film. It does not appear to be available for free on a service I already have such as Amazon Prime or Netflix, but the price appears to be under $5. That said, I'm not certain I believe Tony is a cult and from what I have [i[Holly Hell[/i] appears to be all about cults. I am still interested in watching the documentary, the price is low, but my budget is hilariously tight right now and I would prefer to wait and see if anyone else viewing this might have a better suggestion first.

It was on Netflix last year but I guess it's off now. Tony Robbins isn't like the leader in the documentary but it will give you much insight into the mindset of someone seeking out a new group. You can also see similar behavior in people who follow politicians around (and hang on their every word) or religious leaders or inventors etc. Elon Musk has a cult following. There are many who have an intense loyalty to certain politicians in various countries. It's good to psychoanalyze the people following the leaders rather than just the leaders.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Actual cults provide housing and are difficult if not impossible to leave, leaving Tony is easy, all you have to do is stop paying. Actual cults have rankings and higher levels to achieve, Tony has 5 seminars to attend and you are on your own, unless you either choose to work for Tony, or can afford to become a VIP. This could be considered higher levels to achieve, but from what I know I don't feel Tony encourages everyone to pursue these higher levels.

One thing I learned many years ago that will help you. There are many, many definitions of what a cult actually is. Atheists and the non-religious typically define a cult as a religious group where people are trapped in and controlled closely etc. Religious groups that fit that definition deny that and shift everything to doctrinal interpretations of religious texts etc. Then other groups without religious texts or dogma will tout some uniqueness within their group and say "we're actually not a cult because we don't kill our members or XYZ."

"Cult" is such a loaded term with so much baggage that many trying to be impartial have disavowed it and now use the initialism NRM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_religious_movement