Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Glad to see I wasn’t the only one going slightly nuts with the swap. The inconsistent naming thing was killing me, but I think the confusion was part of the point. Glad they moved on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

from this week's rude talks

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Mud Mech is our new God, and I for one welcome it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

God this part was so good

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What music is playing at 56:15 of Hell and Back? Really familiar, but I can't place it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kennel posted:

What music is playing at 56:15 of Hell and Back? Really familiar, but I can't place it.

Swan lake (of course)

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
The newest episode of Oh These had me rolling.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

some plague rats posted:

No! He's literally the only person this has ever happened to! He's completely unique and the main reason the show is as good as it is

I've completely fallen off OTTSOS. Joe is just too low energy as a DM, I find myself losing interest by about the 20 minute mark

I think I'm kind of falling off of OTTSOS, too, unfortunately. I'm up to King of Queens and I wish that Tim had learned maybe 4-5 more facts about Henry VIII or listened to a recording of the voice he's doing before committing to this character for 90 minutes

I don't think I'm going to abandon it entirely, since the episodic nature of it means that a mediocre one doesn't set the tone for the rest of them, but I don't drop what I'm doing and listen to new eps as they come out like I do with Rude Tales. Branson's characters have always been a blast at least.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

TBH the Henry VIII ep was probably my least favorite so far. I don't know if I'm just becoming more acclimated to Joe's style or they're finding a groove, but I've been enjoying OTTSOS more and more recently, and I feel like he's been hitting the pacing better. I do enjoy Legs but Taylor's other characters have made me laugh out loud a lot more.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

TBH the Henry VIII ep was probably my least favorite so far. I don't know if I'm just becoming more acclimated to Joe's style or they're finding a groove, but I've been enjoying OTTSOS more and more recently, and I feel like he's been hitting the pacing better. I do enjoy Legs but Taylor's other characters have made me laugh out loud a lot more.

Yeah I don't think I'm going to fully abandon it because when it's good, it is really good (still laugh thinking about Cavvie), I'm just gonna let episodes build up and select from the good ones I think

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Joe is as fast as Brandon but he's incredibly dry, so it feels pretty different. my favorite episodes are the ones where Branson is playing, but the only one I didn't care for so far was the wedding party negotiation / motorcycle race one. I think I ended up fast-forwarding to the race.

I keep trying to get involved in both discords, but that poo poo is still alien to me.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

listened to a recording of the voice he's doing before committing to this character for 90 minutes

This seems to be a consistent thing with Tim, he picks a voice and sticks with it even when basic common sense would be like Tim, no. Nobody is going to enjoy this. Please stop

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've started listening to Dungeons and Daddies while I wait for Rude Tales to return (the recording is done, now Taylor must edit it into something cohesive) and I've really been enjoying it. I'm the kind of person who likes their actual play podcasts to be 90% goofy bullshit and 10% sincerely heartfelt character moments and Dungeons and Daddies is one of the only non-Rude Tales podcasts that hits that perfect ratio I crave.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've started listening to Dungeons and Daddies while I wait for Rude Tales to return (the recording is done, now Taylor must edit it into something cohesive) and I've really been enjoying it. I'm the kind of person who likes their actual play podcasts to be 90% goofy bullshit and 10% sincerely heartfelt character moments and Dungeons and Daddies is one of the only non-Rude Tales podcasts that hits that perfect ratio I crave.

I've heard it's good but frankly the hideous name prevents me from ever actually listening to it

Also I'm fully over d&d. I dropped out of OTTSOS, I tried and failed to get into fun city, what I need is a rude tales type podcast but playing call of cthulhu or something like that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You're in for a treat, that podcast is amazing. They just started the first ep of their second season and it's a banger. The DM, Anthony Burch, actually cited Rude Tales as an inspiration for how to introduce characters in a fun and organic way (plugging them straight into the world and having them react with an NPC instead of having the player do a monologue about themselves), so the similarity of vibes is pretty strong.

Check out Not Another D&D Podcast for something in a similar vein, too. I'll also plug Dragon Friends, but that one is even more chaotic than any of these other three. Every episode is performed in front of a live audience, so there's a lot of (fun, good-hearted) conflict between the players and the DM to get laughs from the crowd. Also all of the NPCs are played by a separate guy, so sometimes even the DM's own NPCs turn against him. I think it's my personal favorite D&D podcast, but it's very very jokey, it's not for everyone if coherent storytelling and emotional character building is important to them (this isn't to say that the DM doesn't try to tell a good story, it's just rare that the players cooperate with it in the way that he might have hoped when he was planning)

some plague rats posted:

I've heard it's good but frankly the hideous name prevents me from ever actually listening to it

Also I'm fully over d&d. I dropped out of OTTSOS, I tried and failed to get into fun city, what I need is a rude tales type podcast but playing call of cthulhu or something like that

That's a shame, it really isn't cringey or anything like that at all. It's just about 4 dads trying to get their kids back. It's also extremely loose, mechanically, and honestly the DM might be as over D&D as you are, he complains about the mechanics a lot and doesn't hesitate to ignore them when they aren't fun

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

some plague rats posted:

the subtitle of the podcast is "Not a BDSM podcast" and I find this inordinately funny.

I've had trouble getting into it but I really like Beth May's soulless stepdad character

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

some plague rats posted:

what I need is a rude tales type podcast but playing call of cthulhu or something like that

You and me both, if you or anyone else ITT comes across a comedy call of cthulhu role playing podcast please post it to this thread because I've been longing for one of those for years.

Would also be interested in a comedic Vampire: The Masquerade podcast. I loved the Blood Tales of Depravity episode the rude tales cast did, but Branson hated the rulebook for VtM (which is fair, honestly) so we're never getting one of those again and it's left me hungering for more. Although I guess What We Do in The Shadows is basically VtM lARPing, so there's always that to fill that particular void.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The DnDaddies patreon did a Call of Cthulhu miniseries - At the Mountains of Dadness

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll also plug Dragon Friends, but that one is even more chaotic than any of these other three. Every episode is performed in front of a live audience, so there's a lot of (fun, good-hearted) conflict between the players and the DM to get laughs from the crowd. Also all of the NPCs are played by a separate guy, so sometimes even the DM's own NPCs turn against him. I think it's my personal favorite D&D podcast, but it's very very jokey, it's not for everyone if coherent storytelling and emotional character building is important to them (this isn't to say that the DM doesn't try to tell a good story, it's just rare that the players cooperate with it in the way that he might have hoped when he was planning)

"G'day, cunts! Welcome to me castle!" is the only way to introduce a BBEG.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inkspot posted:

It's either that or snagglepuss, those are the only acceptable options

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inkspot posted:

Alright but the problem with this is now I'm on the BBEG's side, I don't wanna fight that guy I wanna hang out and grill with him.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Alright but the problem with this is now I'm on the BBEG's side, I don't wanna fight that guy I wanna hang out and grill with him.

And now you have some real D&D cooking.

"Go kill a tribe of goblins or we'll run out of hot dogs."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inkspot posted:

And now you have some real D&D cooking.

"Go kill a tribe of goblins or we'll run out of hot dogs."

Is this said by the same guy in the same episode? Because if so sign me up to be his minion.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Is this said by the same guy in the same episode? Because if so sign me up to be his minion.

Nah, Bogan Strahd was just sort of a general dick in the same way regular Strahd is, but his in-the-moment portrayal was out of the DM's hands on account of the way the show is set up.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's either that or snagglepuss, those are the only acceptable options

You're forgetting Droopy Dog.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

some plague rats posted:

If you are that immature, then it's not for you, sorry

You'd especially hate the one episode where it does actually become a bdsm podcast

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

You and me both, if you or anyone else ITT comes across a comedy call of cthulhu role playing podcast please post it to this thread because I've been longing for one of those for years.

Would also be interested in a comedic Vampire: The Masquerade podcast. I loved the Blood Tales of Depravity episode the rude tales cast did, but Branson hated the rulebook for VtM (which is fair, honestly) so we're never getting one of those again and it's left me hungering for more. Although I guess What We Do in The Shadows is basically VtM lARPing, so there's always that to fill that particular void.

Stream of Blood did some pretty cool Cthulhu stuff, their Neptune Society stuff should be up on youtube. There's definitely horror but the players are almost all comedians so it gets to be pretty fun. Several of repeating characters are just ridiculous and yet they still work. Horse cocaine may be one of their better bits, and the live show they did to determine what happens in the next arcs was incredible. They must have had something like 20 people they were switching between during the stream, and even had a running mystery/adventure happening during it.

Becca Scott's Calyx has some decent stuff too. Not as much comedy, but still very entertaining. Not a spinoff, but she's said it's inspired by when she was on Neptune to start her own Cthulhu stream.

Stream of Blood's VtM stuff has some decent comedy in it, but it's more dramatic. Still worth a shot just for Brad Lockwood and the running count of destroyed cars. Also, one of the main players is from that HBO show Raised by Wolves and is not only incredible in his scenes, but his reactions to other players. Dude's just good at twitch gaming.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

seaborgium posted:

Stream of Blood did some pretty cool Cthulhu stuff, their Neptune Society stuff should be up on youtube. There's definitely horror but the players are almost all comedians so it gets to be pretty fun. Several of repeating characters are just ridiculous and yet they still work. Horse cocaine may be one of their better bits, and the live show they did to determine what happens in the next arcs was incredible. They must have had something like 20 people they were switching between during the stream, and even had a running mystery/adventure happening during it.

Becca Scott's Calyx has some decent stuff too. Not as much comedy, but still very entertaining. Not a spinoff, but she's said it's inspired by when she was on Neptune to start her own Cthulhu stream.

Stream of Blood's VtM stuff has some decent comedy in it, but it's more dramatic. Still worth a shot just for Brad Lockwood and the running count of destroyed cars. Also, one of the main players is from that HBO show Raised by Wolves and is not only incredible in his scenes, but his reactions to other players. Dude's just good at twitch gaming.

Are these podcasts or twitch streams or what? Because if they're twitch streams I'm out but if they're podcasts I will probably give them money

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

some plague rats posted:

Are these podcasts or twitch streams or what? Because if they're twitch streams I'm out but if they're podcasts I will probably give them money

Some twitch, the Vampire one has a podcast version. Calyx is mostly youtube, haven't been able to find a podcast of it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just finished the episode where they meet the half possum people and I have to say that Carly is the last Rude Tales player I expected to make a masturbation joke.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
routinely the player with the horniest energy

I argue this is inarguable

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

routinely the player with the horniest energy

I argue this is inarguable

Albee gets a nosebleed

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ainsley McTree posted:

Albee gets a nosebleed

oh, I said "player" on purpose :c00lbutt:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just finished the episode where they meet the half possum people and I have to say that Carly is the last Rude Tales player I expected to make a masturbation joke.

If you haven't yet, listen to their bonus episode Sixgun Showdown where she tries to kiss everything and gently caress a cactus.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

The Repo Man posted:

If you haven't yet, listen to their bonus episode Sixgun Showdown where she tries to kiss everything and gently caress a cactus.
I love the PARSELY episodes so much.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Catching up on OTTSOS and I think it might just need tighter editing. These are all funny people of course, but it's got a lot more of the cast laughing at each other than Rude Tales and these pastiches of 45 minute Star Trek episodes are stretched out to 90.

That said, the Gamesters of Triskelion one made me laugh a lot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Found some more rad fan art on twitter

https://twitter.com/captainclaude/status/1491818339399786498?s=20&t=KA8LKIOMBB3FwOWxQiftAA

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oh cool I hate it, thanks

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Legitimately unnerving body horror that ends with a farting butt feels like the kind of fanart that best captures the "soul" of this podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strong Stirfry energy here.