Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
YES YES YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is number two in the op God Emperor of Dune?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I always liked this one from the Foundation books

Also that's totally Michael Cera on the cover of 1984

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Oh poo poo, I read this one - Smith had an absolutely crazy future setting that felt extremely unique considering he made it before Herbert wrote Dune.

I think I might even have a copy of that paperback somewhere in my house.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bob Quixote posted:

Oh poo poo, I read this one - Smith had an absolutely crazy future setting that felt extremely unique considering he made it before Herbert wrote Dune.

I think I might even have a copy of that paperback somewhere in my house.

Yeah it’s extremely underrated. Wish he had written more novels, he was a genuine weirdo.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s extremely underrated. Wish he had written more novels, he was a genuine weirdo.

A lot of his short stories that I've read were set in his Instrumentality of Mankind setting, and poo poo like the local immortality drug being grown on mountain sized mutant sheep and the sheep planet being defended by amplified psychic attacks generated by machines hooked up to hyper-aggressive space-cat-weasels bred to be as savage as possible is true grade-A sci-fi insanity.

Not everything he wrote was a winner, but I'd put the best of his stuff up against any of the other 60's sci-fi writers in terms of sheer bonkers creativity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good thread topic.

The original covers for the Mars Trilogy were the most evocative poo poo when I was a kid.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

her face says AUGH MY BACK

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

A lot of his short stories that I've read were set in his Instrumentality of Mankind setting, and poo poo like the local immortality drug being grown on mountain sized mutant sheep and the sheep planet being defended by amplified psychic attacks generated by machines hooked up to hyper-aggressive space-cat-weasels bred to be as savage as possible is true grade-A sci-fi insanity.

Not everything he wrote was a winner, but I'd put the best of his stuff up against any of the other 60's sci-fi writers in terms of sheer bonkers creativity.

the instrumentality of mankind is amazing and if you have found yrself suddenly w tons of time on yr hands, get a collected edition and read them all

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nice BOOKS

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pick posted:

nice BOOKS

that issue of planet stories contains TWO EXCITING NOVELS, TWO THRILLING NOVELETTES, and FIVE FASCINATING STORIES, plus the vizigraph!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

radio

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Are dragons short wave or long wave

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

Good thread topic.

The original covers for the Mars Trilogy were the most evocative poo poo when I was a kid.

when i was young i wanted to check these out from the library but there was always a huge wait list :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
little fuzzy!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i honestly prefer this one tho

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah that's a solid one too

either way, piper landed himself some insane covers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That series went to some weird places for a late elementary age book.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Midjack posted:

seriously.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Midjack posted:

yeah i'll say

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

YES YES YES YES YES YES

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This series actually got just as weird and troubling, though. I love this particular series and re-read it every couple of years. It's not like it takes long to do so.

The captain's story is certainly dark as gently caress! ha ha I have rods in my brain that help modulate my behavior because I made a whistleblower complaint that was accurate but dismissed and the punishment was I will still be used for my aptitude in captaincy but I am not allowed to control my reactions to things that might elicit an emotional response

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
actually v tempting to make a bruce coville sci fi thread, so you can all be encouraged to re-read those books and go "holy crap I forgot about [x]"

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

This is the cover for the Finnish translation of The Man in the High Castle from 1992. It's my favorite book cover of all time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
drat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
heh more like Man in the White Castle am i right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hard counter posted:

yeah i'll say

Lol, alien teacher isn't hearing any of Earth's bullshit excuses