Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

which Azov is the best one? The one you can get from the start is so ridiculously powerful that I should have skipped the paystar entirely lol

Where do you get the start Azov. I am getting bored with Paystar and don't have anything better available.

Also is there a good mod compilation that changes truck names and logos to IRL stuff? All I can find is a handful of mods that change 1 truck but not all of them, or at least most.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ROFLBOT posted:

The Twinsteer is one of those trucks that has no right to do as good as it does

Needs the biggest engine and bigger tyres, Ive not had any issues with tipping it yet but then i dont have the raised suspension for it, does it get too tippy with that?

Not exactly too tippy, but situationally tippy. As an example, in Smithville Dam it's hard to bring it from the warehouse in the SW corner to the tunnel in the SE corner by taking the dirt/mud path off the main road because of the weird angle drops at the road/dirt junction as well as the dirt/mud junction. Other trucks don't really struggle with those, but the Twinsteer being as long as it is gets twisted in a nasty way and often topples if you're not extra extra careful, and it's slightly exacerbated by the larger tires. That said, I still use the larger tires on it.

The Twinsteer getting AWD is gonna be really nice, but I don't think it becomes OP really because it's still gonna struggle with really curvy roads where a truck+trailer would have no trouble, or the aforementioned weird road/dirt track junctions where there's a significant elevation change at a right angle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Occasionally when hauling a semi or wagon trailer you think of only this thing was locked in a line and had big beefy tires like the truck.

Occasionally when driving the Twinsteer you think man I sure wish this thing bent in the middle.

You might think the answer is in the middle and try out that bendy Cat but let me assure you centrists get nowhere fast.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

zedprime posted:

Occasionally when hauling a semi or wagon trailer you think of only this thing was locked in a line and had big beefy tires like the truck.

Occasionally when driving the Twinsteer you think man I sure wish this thing bent in the middle.

You might think the answer is in the middle and try out that bendy Cat but let me assure you centrists get nowhere fast.

yeah what's the point of that Cat, that can only either carry fuel or a special addon for special cargo? It looks awesome with the gigantic tires, but I really can't see the use case for it

edit: any recommended mods? I took a look and 90% seem to be "now my Mary Sue truck is better than all the others", "hey a new truck that costs 1 dollar and is overpowered", "let's give all trucks huge amounts of fuel" or "let's make this game EVEN MORE BRUTALLY PUNISHING"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The point of the weird CAT is to sell it and buy a CT680 with the money.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The cat is one of my favorite vehicles. I used it as recovery mostly. It’s cool driving something that will not get stuck. Plus it sounds cool

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bendy Cat has the same cargo capacity as the Twinsteer IIRC. The description text is misleading when it says 2 containers, it really means 4 cargo slots.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Sekenr posted:

Where do you get the start Azov. I am getting bored with Paystar and don't have anything better available.

Same here, although the Royal is plowing through everything pretty well.

And for finding all the stuff on a given map, should I be exploring right up to map edges? I can, but that seems super tedious.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

a mysterious cloak posted:

And for finding all the stuff on a given map, should I be exploring right up to map edges? I can, but that seems super tedious.

There are some upgrades that aren't revealed by the watch towers. Honestly if you've gotten the rest of the map explored I'd just go look at a map online to find any you missed, it'd take hours otherwise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can also visually see the car wrecks in the fog of war zooming into the map.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

TorakFade posted:

yeah what's the point of that Cat, that can only either carry fuel or a special addon for special cargo? It looks awesome with the gigantic tires, but I really can't see the use case for it

the description of the cargo carrier is stupid, it's just a funny looking 2 cargo flatbed. I think the only time I used it for cargo was for the mission to unlock the quarry where you have to take a bunch of poo poo up that steep mountain. it really shines as a mud tower, though.

shortspecialbus posted:

Not exactly too tippy, but situationally tippy. As an example, in Smithville Dam it's hard to bring it from the warehouse in the SW corner to the tunnel in the SE corner by taking the dirt/mud path off the main road because of the weird angle drops at the road/dirt junction as well as the dirt/mud junction. Other trucks don't really struggle with those, but the Twinsteer being as long as it is gets twisted in a nasty way and often topples if you're not extra extra careful, and it's slightly exacerbated by the larger tires. That said, I still use the larger tires on it.

The Twinsteer getting AWD is gonna be really nice, but I don't think it becomes OP really because it's still gonna struggle with really curvy roads where a truck+trailer would have no trouble, or the aforementioned weird road/dirt track junctions where there's a significant elevation change at a right angle.

it's tippy, but it's so telegraphed by the length of the truck that it's easy to correct by slowing down and getting the wheels pointed right.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

padijun posted:

it's tippy, but it's so telegraphed by the length of the truck that it's easy to correct by slowing down and getting the wheels pointed right.

Yeah, it's normally not too bad. The times I've had trouble with it were the aforementioned junction in Smithville Dam that's awful even at a crawl, and a couple times where there was a casual gradient that didn't look too bad except over the length of the truck it added up to enough to be a nasty problem and down I went.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

In case anybody was wondering you don’t need gold on the contests to get 100% in an area. That one in White Valley with the service trailer is the trickiest so far, I managed a 7:40 with my Azov 6, but I think I’ll leave trying for gold till I ]get the Russian upgrades.

stump posted:

Had my first proper glitch out this morning, the gooseneck semi in Pedro Bay freaked out on me twice while I was winching it behind a fuel semi, second time it got properly stuck in some trees. Guess it’s time to break my rule that all trailers must be recovered and sold!

Maybe I’ll go back with a crane and a few trucks at some point and fish it out. It’s sideways and wedged but I think if I got a truck up beside it and tipped it enough to attach without stalling than I’d be able to drop the ramp and it might pull out then. Or can you attach and drop the ramp with a stalled engine? I love this stupid game.
This actually worked pretty well, tipped and stalled my Tayga using its own crane, attached the trailer, dropped the ramp and pulled it out with an Azov till it was on it’s wheels and then wiggled it out under its own power.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just got this.

Hucked around in my International Scout after getting frustrated with my starter trucks getting stuck in mud. Spotted and liberated the Hummer from Alaska and now I'm cruising around with a trailer on that fat boy fixing poo poo. Game owns.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So what should I aim for after Paystar?
Also, hummer better or worse than khan at low levels? I only got to the dam yet, lvl 6.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 3, 2020

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Dragging the White Western Star up the hill at the dam would be my next job.

If you are ok with going out of sequence pop the Russia and get the Azov 64131 and use that to rescue the Tayga, the come back to Michigan with them. I hated the Paystar and dumped it very quickly - I just couldn’t keep it on it’s wheels. The Azov 6 and Tayga are all you need for any task in my opinion, but I like trying to use everything, and not having more than one of any truck.

While you are in Russia you might also want to grab the Zikz 5368, as there is an achievement for doing 10 missions in the US with it. It’s a decent truck with a few upgrades. I wasn’t a fan of any of the Russian scouts but I think others are keen.

My main, constantly changing, fleet, having just finished Michigan and started Russia:
Saddle Low - Tayga, White Western Star, Azov 5319
Sideboard/Flatbed - Azov 73210, ANK, Fleetstar
Scout - International 1700
Azov 64131 - Seismic / Service / Saddle high as needed
Cat CT680 - Saddle low and highway gears for road work

I prefer to flood the land with trucks then there is always a vehicle nearby to pick up a load / recover / lend some fuel.

Edit: I don’t have the Khan but the H2 is my second favourite to the International 1700 as a scout, and I think the International needs upgrades to make it work, but the H2 is good out the box.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I finally unlocked both highway and offroad gearboxes. The offroad one seems a huge waste of fuel for "normal" work, correct? It skyrockets fuel consumption even on trucks that generally sip fuel. I'm not sure if it's worth putting the highrange transmission on everything honestly (well at least anything with either no diff lock or permanent diff lock), makes every truck faster and less fuel-hungry on normal asphalt/dirt roads and doesn't seem to kill offroad ability too much except when you really want those extra low gears for heavy duty mud/swamp work, and it seems straight up better than the "balanced" transmission

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 3, 2020

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Sekenr posted:

So what should I aim for after Paystar?
Also, hummer better or worse than khan at low levels? I only got to the dam yet, lvl 6.

You should look at the Western Star (however I found it not significantly better than the Paystar) or the Royal BM-17. It's a bit tippy, but as long as you leave it in automatic (It seems to have diff lock in auto) it's a brilliant truck.

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 4, 2020

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I really like having low+, especially in trucks without permanent diff lock, so I tend to spec off road gears. It’s great when H keeps stalling and Auto keeps changing gear. I honestly reckon I’m quicker overall in an Azov 64131 which is painfully slow on easy terrain, but plugs along like a champ when it gets bad than in a faster truck which gets bogged down more, also it doesn’t fall to bits when you drive over a pebble because it can’t hit high enough speeds.

But I really think it depends on your driving style, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. I’m not fussed about top speed but I want to keep my minimum speed up.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

stump posted:

I really like having low+, especially in trucks without permanent diff lock, so I tend to spec off road gears. It’s great when H keeps stalling and Auto keeps changing gear. I honestly reckon I’m quicker overall in an Azov 64131 which is painfully slow on easy terrain, but plugs along like a champ when it gets bad than in a faster truck which gets bogged down more, also it doesn’t fall to bits when you drive over a pebble because it can’t hit high enough speeds.

But I really think it depends on your driving style, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. I’m not fussed about top speed but I want to keep my minimum speed up.

this is how I drive all the time:

that's why I hate the BM17, I smash it to pieces within 10 minutes of driving. Minimum speed is usually not a problem, if I get bogged down I winch like my life depends on it

E: bonus pic of me driving in Alaska

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Rescued the western star last night and it's pretty capable with just bigger off-road tires. Don't remember if I have the raised suspension or not.

Bonus: that's the the first truck that I've completely rolled down a hill with cargo on board. I couldn't get to the winch in time, and my kid just did the slow head shake at me.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I really didn't think Taymyr could get any more hostile. But I just drove past a small road sign which upon entering vaguely the same air space as my truck (because hit boxes in this game are awesome) flew off its post, into my wheels, causing 20 points of damage.

It's like this map actively wants to hurt me.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

TorakFade posted:

this is how I drive all the time:

that's why I hate the BM17, I smash it to pieces within 10 minutes of driving. Minimum speed is usually not a problem, if I get bogged down I winch like my life depends on it

E: bonus pic of me driving in Alaska

This is the only way to play

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Got back into the game and ended up rescuing that Russian APC. Holy poo poo what an absolute beast. With the exception of any and all bodies of water this thing goes through EVERYTHING.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Wow the Russian seismic missions were godawful. If there were any visibility around the truck when you're in the trees it would've been way more reasonable.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wow the Russian seismic missions were godawful. If there were any visibility around the truck when you're in the trees it would've been way more reasonable.

Those stumps, particularly around the western location in Quarry, are a goddamn nightmare. There's a not-too-bad path to that spot, but only from one direction, and if you don't come from that direction you won't see the problem until you're already mired in stumps.

As far as ones that are kind of through a forest, switch to first person view for the forest drive.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

For anyone who has complaints how gearboxes work in this game, I invite you to watch thin informational video about Kraz-255, which is represented in this game as Voron AE-4380

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6AqWDbqp44

ебаная машина блять :D

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 11, 2020

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

shortspecialbus posted:

Those stumps, particularly around the western location in Quarry, are a goddamn nightmare. There's a not-too-bad path to that spot, but only from one direction, and if you don't come from that direction you won't see the problem until you're already mired in stumps.

As far as ones that are kind of through a forest, switch to first person view for the forest drive.

tries 1 and 2 on the west quarry :suicide:

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone tried out the new content from the season pass yet?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Oh poo poo, didn't know it was live already

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Bring a powerful winch and some chained tires, is what I'll say.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rhaegar posted:

Anyone tried out the new content from the season pass yet?

It's good so far. Challenging, but not unfair (looking at you, Zimnegorsk). I've only opened the first third or so of the map though.

There are a few changes to the gameplay "flow" that I think are a good idea. Scouting is very important and you'll be doing a bunch of it with a new tool. Bringing fuel with you is a must so supporting vehicles are more important. The terrain is similar to both Alaska and Taymyr but with way more rocks, new types of rock obstacles, and thin ice. I think the map is more interesting to drive through than Taymyr.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

It's good so far. Challenging, but not unfair (looking at you, Zimnegorsk). I've only opened the first third or so of the map though.

There are a few changes to the gameplay "flow" that I think are a good idea. Scouting is very important and you'll be doing a bunch of it with a new tool. Bringing fuel with you is a must so supporting vehicles are more important. The terrain is similar to both Alaska and Taymyr but with way more rocks, new types of rock obstacles, and thin ice. I think the map is more interesting to drive through than Taymyr.

Wait, is this the rift map you’re talking about? Or was something dropped more recently?

I 100%’d the game and haven’t touched it in a month, but would gladly go do some more if it’s available

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

namlosh posted:

Wait, is this the rift map you’re talking about? Or was something dropped more recently?

I 100%’d the game and haven’t touched it in a month, but would gladly go do some more if it’s available

If you have the season pass or go buy the DLC theres two new maps in a winter Russia.

Only poked around the the first map a bit but I'm really feeling how wide open it is in some areas. Very refreshing after Russia feeling like its mostly a series of corridors.

Was surprised by the thin ice too

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Have they made winches more powerful? Seems better than it was, the autonomous scout winch on the loadstar anyway. Also the northern lights look cool on kovd

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

madeintaipei posted:

I've 100%ed zimnegorsk and rift and this new map feels way more difficult. you gotta use scouts to uncover the map, but they all do really poorly in the deep snow, especially hauling a trailer. I just found the tuz 16 and f-750, so maybe I'll try winching the ford+scanner around with the tuz+fuel tank

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Wrr posted:

If you have the season pass or go buy the DLC theres two new maps in a winter Russia.

Only poked around the the first map a bit but I'm really feeling how wide open it is in some areas. Very refreshing after Russia feeling like its mostly a series of corridors.

Was surprised by the thin ice too

Awesome, I have season pass. Just without new content the game didn’t have the same appeal. I’ll have to fire it up. Thx

Let me guess, both new maps are garageless?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

namlosh posted:

Awesome, I have season pass. Just without new content the game didn’t have the same appeal. I’ll have to fire it up. Thx

Let me guess, both new maps are garageless?

It's a whole new region, so you start in the garage on the first map. The second map hasn't been released yet, it's supposed to come later in the "season".

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Bought the season pass to get the new content, which came with the Khan 39. Drove a regular truck out to get the prototype, oops it's a scout trailer. Ok, grab the Khan which I haven't used before. Lol it can't attach a trailer for no reason, I can see the goddamn trailer hitch. Sigh, send in a third truck.

The crunchy ice mechanic is cool. This game is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I feel like I missed the "correct" way to get that little prototype trailer out. I couldn't see any obvious ways in so I backed my APC inbetween the two parked trains, hitting the big hunk of concrete sorta forming a ramp and destroying several tires and the fuel cans. Then I wiggled my way up that makeshift ramp, realized that the trailer can't connect to the APC, and decided to just winch it out while fuel poured out of my hosed up scout tank. Then it wasn't too hard to ramp over the pile of debris in between the building and one of the train cars.

The ocean ice is my main highway so far, other than a hunk of ice which Physics-Bugged itself upwards into the underbelly of my truck (flipping it over in the process) there seems to be no real hazards there.