Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Wrr posted:

I feel like I missed the "correct" way to get that little prototype trailer out. I couldn't see any obvious ways in so I backed my APC inbetween the two parked trains, hitting the big hunk of concrete sorta forming a ramp and destroying several tires and the fuel cans. Then I wiggled my way up that makeshift ramp, realized that the trailer can't connect to the APC, and decided to just winch it out while fuel poured out of my hosed up scout tank. Then it wasn't too hard to ramp over the pile of debris in between the building and one of the train cars.

The ocean ice is my main highway so far, other than a hunk of ice which Physics-Bugged itself upwards into the underbelly of my truck (flipping it over in the process) there seems to be no real hazards there.

I think this is the correct way. Maybe the little Tuz can fit behind the carport thingies and come around the back?

Note: do not sell the prototype trailer. All progress made with it is tied to the specific p. trailer (p is stored in the trailer) you use. If it exits the map, the map goes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Wrr posted:

I feel like I missed the "correct" way to get that little prototype trailer out. I couldn't see any obvious ways in so I backed my APC inbetween the two parked trains, hitting the big hunk of concrete sorta forming a ramp and destroying several tires and the fuel cans. Then I wiggled my way up that makeshift ramp, realized that the trailer can't connect to the APC, and decided to just winch it out while fuel poured out of my hosed up scout tank. Then it wasn't too hard to ramp over the pile of debris in between the building and one of the train cars.

The ocean ice is my main highway so far, other than a hunk of ice which Physics-Bugged itself upwards into the underbelly of my truck (flipping it over in the process) there seems to be no real hazards there.

I just used a large crane to grab it from the north side of the wall

madeintaipei posted:

Note: do not sell the prototype trailer. All progress made with it is tied to the specific p. trailer (p is stored in the trailer) you use. If it exits the map, the map goes with it.

god damnit really? I had to abandon the first one after getting it stuck, so I bought a second which I sold later. are you saying the map will be re-covered when I get back?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

padijun posted:

:aaaaa:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I drove over the concrete slabs on the train car with the chevy ute and then towed the trailer over the debris pile by the building. Smart way would have been big crane but I was already there with the ute

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

padijun posted:

I've 100%ed zimnegorsk and rift and this new map feels way more difficult. you gotta use scouts to uncover the map, but they all do really poorly in the deep snow, especially hauling a trailer. I just found the tuz 16 and f-750, so maybe I'll try winching the ford+scanner around with the tuz+fuel tank

The Yar 87 with the middle mud tire does pretty well in the snow, and can pull a trailer. With the 6 wheels it's not awful even on ice; I was able to climb that icy rock challenge section to get the upgrade no problem. Bonus, it carries 120L of fuel in the roof rack so it can go forever.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

I get it. I think the scanner and one task on drummond are the only times I've actually needed a heave crane, the rest of the time I just use them to put people's scouts on the roof of the garage

Sipher posted:

The Yar 87 with the middle mud tire does pretty well in the snow, and can pull a trailer. With the 6 wheels it's not awful even on ice; I was able to climb that icy rock challenge section to get the upgrade no problem. Bonus, it carries 120L of fuel in the roof rack so it can go forever.

my problems using the YAR were probably caused by the chained tires. I really like kovd, though. it's actually challenging at rank 30 with all the upgrades!

padijun fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 16, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

god damnit really? I had to abandon the first one after getting it stuck, so I bought a second which I sold later. are you saying the map will be re-covered when I get back?

I think so. It might have been a bug. Just keep that first one. I am unwilling to test it out on my save.

Holy Hell, this map. I've run my main scout, a Loadstar, out of gas twice. So close to pulling the 750 out. Ice is tricky. Keep a light, even foot on the throttle .

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

padijun posted:

my problems using the YAR were probably caused by the chained tires. I really like kovd, though. it's actually challenging at rank 30 with all the upgrades!

I'm not a fan of the chains in this game. They lose too much dirt and mud efficacy in exchange for making the already navigable icy sections easier. I'd rather go faster/not get stuck the 90% that is dirt. The Alaska map missions where you are largely on the road are an exception. I honestly wish you could stop and chain up/down.

Agree in the map. It's very well designed with a lot more interesting features. Looking forward to what else comes out, and also mod maps. With the mapping tools being released this game probably goes on my "never uninstall" list.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'd like some sort of service truck that would allow you to drive it up to other trucks and change their parts, at the very least their tires. Needing to go back to a garage to do that makes trying to do fully-remote operations more irritating than they need to be.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

shortspecialbus posted:

I'd like some sort of service truck that would allow you to drive it up to other trucks and change their parts, at the very least their tires. Needing to go back to a garage to do that makes trying to do fully-remote operations more irritating than they need to be.

My friend, you are in luck. Step right over here and check out my selection of service trailers and service addons.

There are several options available. For both trailers and as truck addons, there's a combo gas/repair unit, as well as just a straight repair unit. The combo unit does not have many repair points. Any trailer store is your friend, you can purchase the trailer, gas/repair up, and sell it immediately if you so desire. Roof racks on scouts can also be used to repair other vehicles.

Drive up close to the target vehicle, go into the functions menu, hit repair, and you can select the target/source on the right side of the screen.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 17, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sipher posted:

My friend, you are in luck. Step right over here and check out my selection of service trailers and service addons.

There are several options available. For both trailers and as truck addons, there's a combo gas/repair unit, as well as just a straight repair unit. The combo unit does not have many repair points. Any trailer store is your friend, you can purchase the trailer, gas/repair up, and sell it immediately if you so desire. Roof racks on scouts can also be used to repair other vehicles.

Drive up close to the target vehicle, go into the functions menu, hit repair, and you can select the target/source on the right side of the screen.

Think they meant a mobile garage-lite. Load up parts from the garage and let you swap between them in the field.

This playthrough I have dedicated service trucks as I want to recover as little as possible. GMC 9500 heavy crane and a Western Star 6x6 service truck/tanker, both with highrange transmissions.

Western Star to the rescue! *crashes through trees, flips 360°, lights cigarette, fuels up truck*

I have never had so much fun making things harder on myself than in Mudrunner and Snowrunner.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sipher posted:

madeintaipei posted:

Think they meant a mobile garage-lite. Load up parts from the garage and let you swap between them in the field.

Yes, this. Sorry. I meant like change from mudtires to chain tires, change the transmission, maybe change from a flatbed to a 5th wheel, etc. I know how repair and refueling works. And unfortunately mods are no good because while I have it on PC, I mostly play coop with my wife on xbox.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Gotcha. Yeah, that would be fun to set up, but given the weird no-reason limitations like no flatbeds on heavies (except the Dan for some reason), no AWD twinsteer, no trailers on the Khan, the devs seem to have a way they'd like you to play

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Changing engine or transmission is a little weird but it's absolutely criminal a game called Snowrunner does not have chain up/chain down mechanics.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Changing engine or transmission is a little weird but it's absolutely criminal a game called Snowrunner does not have chain up/chain down mechanics.

Auto-chains, but they can only take 20 damage. :kheldragar:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
True fact: crane addon is just as effective clubbing rigs upright rather than using that pansy winch

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

I'll concede the engine and transmission might be a bit much for a mobile support unit, so to speak, but I think if it forced you to buy the parts at a garage and load them into the support vehicle, and the support vehicle had limited space (say enough for 2-3 full sets of tires and maybe one engine or transmission) I think that would be a reasonable trade-off for trying to do meaningful changes out in the field.

:yeah: on being able to attach chains on the fly though. Even if it required you to stop and shut down the engine that would be fine.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sipher posted:

I'm not a fan of the chains in this game. They lose too much dirt and mud efficacy in exchange for making the already navigable icy sections easier. I'd rather go faster/not get stuck the 90% that is dirt. The Alaska map missions where you are largely on the road are an exception. I honestly wish you could stop and chain up/down.

Agree in the map. It's very well designed with a lot more interesting features. Looking forward to what else comes out, and also mod maps. With the mapping tools being released this game probably goes on my "never uninstall" list.

yar chains aside, the chained mud tires for the russian trucks are great in kovd, since there's a lot of ice covered rocks that plain mud tires eat poo poo trying to climb. having to decide between chained and mud tires is actually a good thing!

I also like the truck damage in kovd. Instead of your tires and suspension taking big hits while driving down a perfectly flat road, you take 1-2 suspension damage at a time when you're driving too fast over rock fields or jagged ice. it just feels more fair than the -15 -15 -15 -15 from driving down the road in taymyr

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I hope someone makes a mod map that's a huge downward sloping ramp, a loop, then a ramp into the abyss.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
here's the exact place mud tire users were told to gently caress off:

I took 5-6 runs at it, with and without cargo and couldn't make it to the east camp. had to come back with the chained up voron grad to finish that one

they also fixed a bunch of vehicles this update and didn't say anything, but here's what I've seen so far:

azov 7 and the higher rank kolob don't constantly smash to a halt anymore
hummer doesn't downshift during light turns anymore
freightliner 1916 steering doesn't jump around anymore
derry longhorn 3941 got an always-on diff lock, so it probably goes from a D- to a C+

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

I took 5-6 runs at it, with and without cargo and couldn't make it to the east camp. had to come back with the chained up voron grad to finish that one

they also fixed a bunch of vehicles this update and didn't say anything, but here's what I've seen so far:

azov 7 and the higher rank kolob don't constantly smash to a halt anymore
hummer doesn't downshift during light turns anymore
freightliner 1916 steering doesn't jump around anymore
derry longhorn 3941 got an always-on diff lock, so it probably goes from a D- to a C+

The bolded part happened last update. I guess no one use the truck, lol. The thing makes a great ice train now.

Did not know about the M916, that's cool. Tht thing is a beast off-road.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The turn radius of the derry longhorn is roughly 3/4 of the map. I was all set up to take it on a romp through Zimnegorsk and had to do several three point turns to get to the trailer purchase area. I immediately recalled and shelved it back for the tayga.

Why bother with any truck other than tayga? With those tires it is the best. They should have let other trucks have those tires because I'd like to use other trucks but it doesnt make sense.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
the new tuz has them and it's great

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

vandalism posted:

The turn radius of the derry longhorn is roughly 3/4 of the map. I was all set up to take it on a romp through Zimnegorsk and had to do several three point turns to get to the trailer purchase area. I immediately recalled and shelved it back for the tayga.

Why bother with any truck other than tayga? With those tires it is the best. They should have let other trucks have those tires because I'd like to use other trucks but it doesnt make sense.

Funny, I have a Tayga with stock suspension, highrange, low saddle, and a crane as a freight hauler. I sucks in a very capable way.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

vandalism posted:

It depends if you're trying to effectively min-max and make the game as easy as possible, or want to have fun with trucks and get yourself into and out of challenges.

Neither playstyle is "wrong" or anything like that, but for me personally, I started having a lot more fun with the game when I stopped using the Tayga and it's crazy tires for absolutely everything and started trying to mix up trucks a lot more and use almost anything that wasn't a highway truck, because they're irredeemable.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Actually one of the play styles is wrong but I’m not going to say which one.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

vandalism posted:

yeah I played with it a little today, the turn radius and power/weight are still abysmal, plus that dead axle still gets you high centered

vandalism posted:

Why bother with any truck other than tayga?

I mean besides the lack of crane+flatbed nothing really. you could beat the entire game with like 3-4 trucks

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

I mean besides the lack of crane+flatbed nothing really. you could beat the entire game with like 3-4 trucks

I've been using a Tayga with a crane to pull a flatbed semi-trailer through Lake Kovd. The truck is mostly stock and has dual rear off-road tires. It still rolls straight through most anything.

I'm liking the combo of off-road tractor and crane with semi-trailer. It's good for shuttling large amounts of freight back and forth to off-road trucks for the last mile. The tractor can be used to flip a truck over and re-load it's cargo, too.

I've pulled that combo, consisting of a Tayga and ramped trailer loaded up with a Kodiak and a Chevy being towed by a Western-Star maintenance truck, half way through Kovd. All those trucks were useful and stayed on the map until there were only a few tasks left.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

madeintaipei posted:

I've been using a Tayga with a crane to pull a flatbed semi-trailer through Lake Kovd. The truck is mostly stock and has dual rear off-road tires. It still rolls straight through most anything.

I'm liking the combo of off-road tractor and crane with semi-trailer. It's good for shuttling large amounts of freight back and forth to off-road trucks for the last mile. The tractor can be used to flip a truck over and re-load it's cargo, too.

I've pulled that combo, consisting of a Tayga and ramped trailer loaded up with a Kodiak and a Chevy being towed by a Western-Star maintenance truck, half way through Kovd. All those trucks were useful and stayed on the map until there were only a few tasks left.

the secret of this game is every truck can basically do everything if you bring the right tires and AWD, it just might be a lot slower. the kodiak can rescue the WWS in smithville with just a maintenance van addon and a single tank of gas. the fleetstar can cross the river in zimnegorsk while carrying a crane and a concrete slab. use whatever you want, it's fun!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm kind of in a tayga rut too. I need to go full twin steer or something to liven it up.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

padijun posted:

I finished the map without chains, but this was the hardest section. If you get a decent run up and then just wriggle the tires back and forth it'll hook up enough to get you over that pass.

The game has the ability to have changeable suspension, seen a mod for that. Maybe chain up/down will be coming at some point.

Also AWD Twinsteer when.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 22, 2020

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sipher posted:

I finished the map without chains, but this was the hardest section. If you get a decent run up and then just wriggle the tires back and forth it'll hook up enough to get you over that pass.

The game has the ability to have changeable suspension, seen a mod for that. Maybe chain up/down will be coming at some point.

Also AWD Twinsteer when.

overall I think the chained dual tires are the best for that map. 90% of the mud is easy to avoid or has a ton of winch points nearby, and the chained tires still cut through snow fairly easily. plus if you gently caress up and put all 6 wheels in the lake you still have a chance to back out

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I wonder what the traction coefficients are for the various tires in snow. I found the powdery snow sections the worst, just sloooooowly plowing through them until you hit more solid snow.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sipher posted:

I wonder what the traction coefficients are for the various tires in snow. I found the powdery snow sections the worst, just sloooooowly plowing through them until you hit more solid snow.

I think snow is some combo of "mud" and "offroad." I think "ice" is a different condition that can be applied to a surface, ie the really slippery rocks in kovd. this is complete speculation based on a vague feeling

e: like 5 minutes later found an updated tire chart like the one in the OP, and there's a comment down below that says snow is the same parameter as mud: https://old.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/hwlwyh/differences_between_the_tire_types_updated/

padijun fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 23, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got out the Fleetstar on a whim, upgraded the engine/suspension/transmission/tires, that thing was surprisingly solid hauling crap around. It's sluggish up hill with a good sized load, but it doesn't stop for much.

Probably going to go back to some of the other early trucks and see how they fare with upgrades.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

padijun posted:

I think snow is some combo of "mud" and "offroad." I think "ice" is a different condition that can be applied to a surface, ie the really slippery rocks in kovd. this is complete speculation based on a vague feeling

e: like 5 minutes later found an updated tire chart like the one in the OP, and there's a comment down below that says snow is the same parameter as mud: https://old.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/hwlwyh/differences_between_the_tire_types_updated/

That's been deleted, do you have a new link to the updated chart? What changed on it?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

shortspecialbus posted:

That's been deleted, do you have a new link to the updated chart? What changed on it?

the only difference I noticed at a glance was the tatarin tires somehow had 8x in mud, which is either hilarious or the reason the op removed it

padijun fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 24, 2020

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
From Reddit:

Sipher fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 24, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weekly reminder these are friction parameter dumps and geometry factors in. Tatarin's mud 8 is part god tire, part probably a strange geometry and they had to juice it to make it handle the way they wanted it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Is there any way to make the F-750 useful for anything that isn't flat roads? The power to weight ratio is abysmal and it bogs down constantly, unable to even spin the tires.