Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there any way to make the F-750 useful for anything that isn't flat roads? The power to weight ratio is abysmal and it bogs down constantly, unable to even spin the tires.

upcoming DLC map has an engine upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there any way to make the F-750 useful for anything that isn't flat roads? The power to weight ratio is abysmal and it bogs down constantly, unable to even spin the tires.

It makes a decent motorized tow-dolly. The Acteon does a better job of that because of it's short length though. You can winch it behind you with the crane deployed up-slope on a heavily cambered road to keep the rear of your vehicle weighted down. Kind of helps the Twinsteer stay upright on the shorter road towards the drilling site in Zimnegorsk.

One thing I've found with the 750 is that you can use the crane to change it's weight distribution and center of gravity pretty dramatically. Extending the crane over the front of the truck unloads the rear axle and induces a rocking motion front to back. From there, you can pulse the throttle to move weight back and forth, "hopping" through torn up off-road sections.

I think I'll try grabbing the 750 early in my next playthrough so we can see how it does in the US maps. Maybe get the Fleetstar with snowrunner trans, head to Taymyr and grab the Tayga, use that to unlock Quarry/Zimnegorsk, recover the Tatarin, tow it on a trailer (winching a repair truck behind?) across the ice to the 750, finding the AWD part at the same time, snag the Acteon, and head back to America. IIRC, that takes care of three high paying missions in Kovd to help towards unlocking better tires.

This time around I'm getting more use out of the tank transporters to move the Tatarin. Think I'll continue that. Makes scouting so much easier, just gotta pre-position fuel or have a fuel truck ranging around the map.

Hi, my name is madeintaipei and I've spent the last 12 years working transportation and delivery jobs. Can you tell?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

madeintaipei posted:

One thing I've found with the 750 is that you can use the crane to change it's weight distribution and center of gravity pretty dramatically. Extending the crane over the front of the truck unloads the rear axle and induces a rocking motion front to back. From there, you can pulse the throttle to move weight back and forth, "hopping" through torn up off-road sections.

So the problem with that is while I'm enjoying creating challenges for myself and trying to use a large variety of trucks, what you're describing here sounds wildly unpleasant and if I want to do something like that, I'll just hop on Death Stranding, create a huge stack on my back, and try not to fall over. Using any other truck that doesn't require something ridiculous like that sounds much better.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

So the problem with that is while I'm enjoying creating challenges for myself and trying to use a large variety of trucks, what you're describing here sounds wildly unpleasant and if I want to do something like that, I'll just hop on Death Stranding, create a huge stack on my back, and try not to fall over. Using any other truck that doesn't require something ridiculous like that sounds much better.

Yes.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
The engine upgrades appear to be bugged and provide no increased power. Hopefully it'll be usable once they fix that/top tier upgrade comes in the next map. Also, AWD twinsteer upgrade.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

I think I'll try grabbing the 750 early in my next playthrough so we can see how it does in the US maps. Maybe get the Fleetstar with snowrunner trans, head to Taymyr and grab the Tayga, use that to unlock Quarry/Zimnegorsk, recover the Tatarin, tow it on a trailer (winching a repair truck behind?) across the ice to the 750, finding the AWD part at the same time, snag the Acteon, and head back to America. IIRC, that takes care of three high paying missions in Kovd to help towards unlocking better tires.
I started a new game and similarly thought it would be fun to pop to Lake Kovd with my level 3 black river trucks.

The Fleetstar got the Acteon recovered no bother, decided to use the Acteon to rescue the Ford. Didn’t have much luck, ended up with a Fleetstar, Acteon and GMC all stuck and or tipped over. Took my scout off to unlock the P16 to rescue the lot.

I think if I’d picked a better route I’d have made it with an AWD Fleetstar or GMC on road tyres. For what it’s worth, any AWD truck can easily make it to the ANK in Alaska, which is great stock.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sipher posted:

The engine upgrades appear to be bugged and provide no increased power. Hopefully it'll be usable once they fix that/top tier upgrade comes in the next map. Also, AWD twinsteer upgrade.

the 750 is so heavy that the silverado engine it currently uses doesn't even move the power/weight bar. it's pretty much a self-propelled maintenance trailer until the new engine upgrade is available

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think its biggest weakness of this game by far is the UI. It's such a hassle getting an idea of what goes where within this UI that I never really want to do a bit of logistics, planning longer routes, picking up and dropping off stuff for later etc. In the end it feels so much quicker to just do single task by single task. The knock-on effect for me is that I also never use most of the tools in the game. I could use highway trucks and cranes to ferry stuff around where there are useable streets, but eh... I'd rather use an offroad truck from source to target and deal with the mudtires being slippery on asphalt.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 28, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GhostDog posted:

I think its biggest weakness of this game by far is the UI. It's such a hassle getting an idea of what goes where within this UI that I never really want to do a bit of logistics, planning longer routes, picking up and dropping off stuff for later etc. In the end it feels so much quicker to just do single task by single task. The knock-on effect for me is that I also never use most of the tools in the game. I could use highway trucks and cranes to ferry stuff around where there are useable streets, but eh... I'd rather use an offroad truck from source to target and deal with the mudtires being slippery on asphalt.

Yeah it's a pain (using a controller anyways) to use the map, put in waypoints, no way to delete one waypoint if you managed to somehow get near by not near-enough for it to get removed. Its hard to know what Warehouses/Factories stock what items, and sometimes you have to go back to another map to get an item for a current quest which makes it harder to plan out and side-quests only show up for the current map in your so its hard to plan (hey i need these 4 concrete blocks for that one quest in the Lake let me stock up some extra and crane dump em by the tunnel); and the lack of minimap or even a compass means I'm constantly bringing up the map if I want to do anything other than A->B otherwise I just get annoyed. And using cranes is just miserable so it's hard to like plop stuff down and pick it up again. There's a lot of just little things like that would be really easy to improve and make it vastly more enjoyable to do that.

I've found zero use for highway trucks at all, almost no use for even the Heavy Duty trucks, and generally not a whole lot of use for most of the scouts too when an off-road truck does the job almost as quick (unless it's a sidequest that requires going to a bunch of points real fast or climbing some nasty mountains in which case I bust out the KHAN or TUZ :420:). It might trivialize some elements of the game but it'd be nice if you could do little quests to repair or clean up roads so you can haul things better along using Highway trucks or something built for speed if you've spent the time to make them work, kinda like Auto-Pavers in Death Stranding or something. I always enjoy some good literal world-building like that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 28, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Xaris posted:

Yeah it's a pain (using a controller anyways) to use the map, put in waypoints, no way to delete one waypoint if you managed to somehow get near by not near-enough for it to get removed. Its hard to know what Warehouses/Factories stock what items, and sometimes you have to go back to another map to get an item for a current quest which makes it harder to plan out and side-quests only show up for the current map in your so its hard to plan (hey i need these 4 concrete blocks for that one quest in the Lake let me stock up some extra and crane dump em by the tunnel); and the lack of minimap or even a compass means I'm constantly bringing up the map if I want to do anything other than A->B otherwise I just get annoyed. And using cranes is just miserable so it's hard to like plop stuff down and pick it up again. There's a lot of just little things like that would be really easy to improve and make it vastly more enjoyable to do that.

Maybe using a controller makes it hard to see but Island Lake has enough materials for every delivery mission scattered around the map in various trailers. My main truck never had to leave the map until I moved on, only went back to garage to grab scout and tow service trailer.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
if you play the regions in order, not that you have to, highway trucks are pretty much useless and HD trucks lose a lot of steam when you get to the russian regions. there are a couple of standout scouts, though: the loadstar, the YAR, and the TUZ 166. the loadstar can easily carry 400 rep points and 900 fuel with a trailer, the YAR is insanely fuel efficient and carries a lot of gas/repair, and the TUZ can go straight through forests and up the side of most mountains if you're careful

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What upgrades does Loadstar need to be good? I tried it and wasn't happy at all how it starts to break on slightest bumps and gets stuck in every mud.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
You can use left trigger to remove your last set waypoint on the map

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC you can also "pick up" intermediate points to shuffle them around and maybe delete them? I can't remember without having the map and a controller in front of me.

You use the other trucks because this is a truck game about driving cool trucks, you don't need maximum missions completed per minute all the time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed... supposedly Kovd is meant to be a scout only map, but guess who has all of their heavies deployed and is about to buy another and deploy it?

It’s me :dance:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The fact that you don't care and make your own fun is not an argument against it being badly designed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

namlosh posted:

Agreed... supposedly Kovd is meant to be a scout only map, but guess who has all of their heavies deployed and is about to buy another and deploy it?

It’s me :dance:

The big 10x10 Azov with large maintenance body is really great in Kovd. The thing is very hard to get stuck in the ice if you make a crescent shaped turn through it. I leave that truck in the middle of the lake as a rescue truck, plenty of fuel, tires, and repair points for when you go a little bit too hard over all those rocks.

Kovd's terrain is deceptively easy to move across in places. It is possible to bring the CLT9000 with fuel semi-trailer up to the train station without any help, for example. Getting on and off the ice can be a real bitch, sometimes it isn't the best choice.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GhostDog posted:

The fact that you don't care and make your own fun is not an argument against it being badly designed.
If your truck suspension grew taller and your center of gravity lowered as you leveled up like a Truck RPG that would be a very different but cool game.

But it's a truck toybox. The trucks work like they look. I feel like to make them work unlike they look misses a point.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The Antarctic is surprisingly capable in Kovd as well... and my fatass beetle, the cat 745c with fuel carrier is always awesome

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I realized I'd bought but hadn't tried that Azov 10x10. I'm delighted to find it's a heavy with a loading crane, flatbed *and* can tow a trailer! It can do everything!

Oh. Except go up or down hills. Dat chin.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sekenr posted:

What upgrades does Loadstar need to be good? I tried it and wasn't happy at all how it starts to break on slightest bumps and gets stuck in every mud.

offroad tires, sv/2100 engine, raised suspension, then the rest is up to you. I used it to scout the rift map yesterday and had a surprisingly easy time repairing and towing three broken vehicles. it certainly would have been a lot harder using an offroad/HD truck with a maintenance frame or tippy van body.

Sipher posted:

I realized I'd bought but hadn't tried that Azov 10x10. I'm delighted to find it's a heavy with a loading crane, flatbed *and* can tow a trailer! It can do everything!

Oh. Except go up or down hills. Dat chin.

it's great, but you really have to plan your approach against hills or large rocks. at least it's been fixed, last patch it was unusable outside of parking lots

padijun fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 28, 2020

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I think im going to attempt to make a proper drag strip, oval and tractor pull/mud bog

Completely pointless and i'll probably get an hour in and decide its too hard but hey

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

offroad tires, sv/2100 engine, raised suspension, then the rest is up to you. I used it to scout the rift map yesterday and had a surprisingly easy time repairing and towing three broken vehicles. it certainly would have been a lot harder using an offroad/HD truck with a maintenance frame or tippy van body.

it's great, but you really have to plan your approach against hills or large rocks. at least it's been fixed, last patch it was unusable outside of parking lots

The 1700 is great for yanking the prototype trailer around Kovd. It became the answer to a few questions. Permanently locked diff and highway transmission on one of the fastest trucks in the game? Will haul two small trailers through mud? Small enough to fit between trees?
It's a tiny fire truck, too?

The 10x10 has found great use in towing trucks onto the ice behind the garage in Lake Kovd. One sharp turn, a bit of deep snow, then hard packed snow, right over a drop off some rocks, onto the ice. It'll juuust squeak over the highest drop, a height maybe twice as tall as the truck. No damage if you take it slow and go one by one. I think they fixed it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

If you push the barrels out of the way there is an way out of the Kovd garage to the ice on the garage exit side which even highway trucks can manage. Just be careful not to get high centred on a barrel when moving them.

In Black River I just discovered a similar exit from the garage to the track up the hill behind which missed that horrible boggy bit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Had to take a little break from the slow pace of truck fuckling and play something a little faster moving. Didn't know what game I wanted, so after some searching, I wound up getting...

Death Stranding :doh:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Had to take a little break from the slow pace of truck fuckling and play something a little faster moving. Didn't know what game I wanted, so after some searching, I wound up getting...

Death Stranding :doh:

Lol the whole time I was playing death stranding I was wondering what snowrunner would have been like if Kojima made it.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
this is the last week you can big dick the four slot cargo deliveries with the rwd-only twinsteer

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
They aren't making it switchable?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
it'll be switchable but you don't get some arbitrary pointless bragging rights

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Shouldn't anyway, it's a pretty easy truck to use

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I will do them with the ford cabover next time

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The new map, Imandra, is out. This one is going to take some time! Two days and I think I've completed one task and one contract. This is the hardest map so far, lots of rock-crawling and deep, wet snow. Bring fuel and repair parts. The F750 10v motor slaps and the new truck is a beast.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

gently caress that one tree in imandra that is lying across the road. Trees in this game have too much power. Also Imandra is very hard in general, the trucks with huge tires seem to do the best but then they are often too big to go down some trails. Quite keen to try the AWD twinsteer there once I have the garage unlocked. Not sure about the active suspension for the acteon, seems like you have to use smaller tires to use it

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Imandra status: Azov 10 wheeler tipped, ANK, Warthog, and Twinsteer all stuck in various locations. This ones gonna be a doozy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

stump posted:

Imandra status: Azov 10 wheeler tipped, ANK, Warthog, and Twinsteer all stuck in various locations. This ones gonna be a doozy.

Powerful username/thread energy.

I've been using the Pacific P12 w/heavy crane as a scout and am still getting stuck. She fits almost anywhere if you try hard enough though.

bobbilljim posted:

gently caress that one tree in imandra that is lying across the road. Trees in this game have too much power. Also Imandra is very hard in general, the trucks with huge tires seem to do the best but then they are often too big to go down some trails. Quite keen to try the AWD twinsteer there once I have the garage unlocked. Not sure about the active suspension for the acteon, seems like you have to use smaller tires to use it

That tree is a motherless son of an oak. Like, I'm driving one of the biggest logging trucks ever built, why are trees a problem?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

In a way this map is good for getting me to actually use the azov antarctic and the huge cat

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

In a way this map is good for getting me to actually use the azov antarctic and the huge cat

It's nice that the exp payoffs in Imandra are huge.
Makes it easier to reach levl 26 again. Revisiting the Antarctic sounds like a good idea.

I should really stop selling the Cat. The steering is kinda unfun, IMO. Everything else about it is great. Tonka toy in the backyard fun.

Heavy trucks are growing on me. This play through I'm using the P12 as the only heavy crane truck. It's been an experience on Imandra, especially over rocks. The crane is required as a counterweight.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
once you get the V10 for the F750 that thing is a top notch utility vehicle. 500 rep 8 tires 330 fuel and you can still use a full size trailer? yes sir

here was my imandra prep. it turned into the highway of death on the other side but I got the garage unlocked. what a brutal map

padijun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 11, 2020

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

padijun posted:

once you get the V10 for the F750 that thing is a top notch utility vehicle. 500 rep 8 tires 330 fuel and you can still use a full size trailer? yes sir

here was my imandra prep. it turned into the highway of death on the other side but I got the garage unlocked. what a brutal map

Hahahahaha that’s awesome. I have a similar (but smaller) buildup in Kovd at the gate to Imandra

And the cat 745C is like my favorite truck. With the fuel addon, It looks like a fat rear end beetle waddling down the road and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I decided very quickly that Imandra was not for me.

I like a challenge and having to plan things out and everything but too much of Imandra just felt like artificial challenge, like just there is no good or clever or rewarding way to do it. Just eventually slogging across icy cliffs that suffer from laggy controls on Xbox or just other complete bullshit. It's not that it felt too hard exactly, it just more felt like calling something challenging because you were constantly having your dick kicked the whole time. When the entire map is an obstacle you need to figure out a good way to work around, that's just not for me.

Then again I was never really looking for a huge challenge in this game, more just relaxing fun challenge. I'm not this map's target audience. So I just don't do it anymore.