Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
If you ever try it again, the biggest trucks with the biggest wheels seem to do best on imandra. I use mud tyres too unless its a specific icy section but even then hopefully you can winch and get away with it. Smaller, lower trucks just aren't worth it. Anything with always on diff lock is also a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

bobbilljim posted:

If you ever try it again, the biggest trucks with the biggest wheels seem to do best on imandra. I use mud tyres too unless its a specific icy section but even then hopefully you can winch and get away with it. Smaller, lower trucks just aren't worth it. Anything with always on diff lock is also a plus

Yeah, I totally understand the frustration... snow sucks in that even with the best tires on a vehicle, it’ll still get totally stuck. Plus some of the icy tilted roads are ridiculous and they went way overboard with the rocks.

That said, I have all my heavies deployed and am creeping along Ice ledges for a challenge with others. At one point I was so close to sliding off an icy rock and was convinced that if I hadn’t made it successfully, I would have turned off the game. Possibly forever lol

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Remember, it is ok to cheat. On PS4, if I catch it before an autosave, I go straight back to the dashboard and restart when poo poo gets sideways.

Imandra is "fun" in the same way Russians call any of that a "road". The best thing about moving through the terrain is that no one is shooting at you.

I kind of had the idea these games were a veiled comment on the self-destructiveness of humanity. Mudrunner more so than Snowrunner, because the earth stayed churned up and any water you went through was permanently covered by an oil slick. Slowly dragging ourselves through the mud we've made, creating endlessly frustrating work for ourselves, wrecking every thing we see to make it all temporarily easier to do.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

To be clear, I really like Imandra.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
they wanted to make a map where planning and multiple vehicles are actually required, but they overdid it with the artificial time checks like blue snow and iced over mud pits and also where the gently caress are the plane parts? I used the P12 to take the trailer and metal detector to the site for the last mission, and I don't see anything. starting to suspect the metal detector was released broken

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

they wanted to make a map where planning and multiple vehicles are actually required, but they overdid it with the artificial time checks like blue snow and iced over mud pits and also where the gently caress are the plane parts? I used the P12 to take the trailer and metal detector to the site for the last mission, and I don't see anything. starting to suspect the metal detector was released broken

Yup. Whole game is broken as gently caress, the whole thing. I haven't even gotten the armored cars or any of the plane parts. It took a few days of playing just to open the garage. Glitches, bugs, and just plain bad design.

Snow. I've never driven in snow, but even I know it gets packed down. Snowrunner doesn't model that at all. I guess blue snow is slush with ice underneath. Why is it in the places it is?

Smilla's Sense of Snow did not prepare me for this.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
for the armored cars, I had to reset the mission while the metal detector vehicle was near the point you're supposed to drive to after you find the upgrade

reminds me of them shipping rift with upgrades that didn't appear even when you unlocked the watchtowers

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I don't get how they messed up the way a transmission works so badly. Why do you get so much extra torque in "high" gear? Why is a small fallen log or tree root enough to stop a several ton logging truck dead

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

I don't get how they messed up the way a transmission works so badly. Why do you get so much extra torque in "high" gear? Why is a small fallen log or tree root enough to stop a several ton logging truck dead

IIRC, Reddit figured out torque isn't modeled at all. The different gears are just throttle gates.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
lmao there's a new scout in the store, a weird 6x6 chevy apache. 95+200 fuel, 300 repair points, no trailer hitch, $4. why?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

lmao there's a new scout in the store, a weird 6x6 chevy apache. 95+200 fuel, 300 repair points, no trailer hitch, $4. why?

There's your answer!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the funny part is they're trying to make it balanced, but no trailer hitch is a death sentence for a scout. just make it obnoxious and OP if you're gonna go mask off and sell standalone vehicles

e: the skin looks like absolute trash too

padijun fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 22, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

the funny part is they're trying to make it balanced, but no trailer hitch is a death sentence for a scout. just make it obnoxious and OP if you're gonna go mask off and sell standalone vehicles

e: the skin looks like absolute trash too

It should have a Cuban flag skin.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I don’t know... I get pretty good mileage out of the 420 Tatarin by just pulling another scout behind it.

Of course, I rarely go anywhere with just one truck now lol

You know what sucks is the action with a crane. It can barely lift anything without flipping over. Wish I knew why they made the anchors decide to fold in at the first sign of stress

E:
Wait, I can’t find the Apache you mention above in the “Classico pack”... I’m on xbone and have the season pass. Do I need to buy it even with the deluxe season pass or whatever?

namlosh fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 22, 2020

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

madeintaipei posted:

It should have a Cuban flag skin.

I'm a complete idiot, and I take back what I said. I glanced at it and wrote it off because it looked a palette swap of the kodiak paint job. still no buy

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

namlosh posted:

I don’t know... I get pretty good mileage out of the 420 Tatarin by just pulling another scout behind it.

Of course, I rarely go anywhere with just one truck now lol

You know what sucks is the action with a crane. It can barely lift anything without flipping over. Wish I knew why they made the anchors decide to fold in at the first sign of stress

E:
Wait, I can’t find the Apache you mention above in the “Classico pack”... I’m on xbone and have the season pass. Do I need to buy it even with the deluxe season pass or whatever?

I get the tuz 420 and f-750 not having a scout trailer hitch because they're oddballs, but why take it away from the more normal scouts like the khan?

the clasico pack is standalone, not part of any existing DLC/season pass. the reddit is making GBS threads themselves rn

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I think my favorite part about this is the fact that if I just really want an OP as gently caress Scout, mods exist for free.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

padijun posted:

I get the tuz 420 and f-750 not having a scout trailer hitch because they're oddballs, but why take it away from the more normal scouts like the khan?

the clasico pack is standalone, not part of any existing DLC/season pass. the reddit is making GBS threads themselves rn

Agreed...

so the loaf is a sleeper, I love that thing. But imagine my surprise months ago, when I loaded one up to the gills and drove it out to Rift map only to find out that the spare wheel blocks the trailer hitch...

hosed up about the DLC though... I’m not freaking out but I’ll pause before I buy a season pass again. I mean, what’s the point?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

T1g4h posted:

I think my favorite part about this is the fact that if I just really want an OP as gently caress Scout, mods exist for free.

all of the OP scout trucks on mod.io rock. I laughed so hard when I loaded up the chevy duramax and there was a yeti branded cooler in the back

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
In my experience, the Vorons are the perfect trucks for imandra. They have the power to push through the worst of the snow and mud, are maneuverable enough to get through the rock gardens, and can still carry/tow a fullsize load. Due to endless rocks, small trucks end up flipped too easily and bog down in the snow/frozen mud while larger trucks get hung up on rocks/cannot fit into all the smaller areas of the level. The gigantic Cat and arctic Azov are traps on that level due to their non-chain tires and garbage articulated steering. Unlike kovd I haven't found a good way to abuse their immunity to destructible ice since the water levels on imandra are deep.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Voron AE is a great truck. Grad is decent too, less twitchy than the AE on roads as you can turn diff lock off

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
on imandra I used the voron AE a ton more than the tayga for one reason: the tayga fuel tanks are absolutely gigantic, and get you stuck on the rocks. the AE on the other hand has a single fuel tank that's much smaller

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I don’t know, the bigs somehow still get pretty good traction on the ice in my experience. The Arctic Azov has definitely been my go to truck for imandra... it’s crazy how far that thing tips, but if you’re careful it can be awesome.

I got the metal detector on that Zika truck and tromped my butt over to the square by the river to start looking for the armored vehicles. Am I missing something? The detector just kinda scans for a second and then stops. No beeping or pointing in a direction. Are the armored vehicles supposed to show up on the map when you do it? Cause they aren’t and I got nothing...

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
you can physically see them a little bit to the north on the map once you're on that step, but there was no map marker. once I packed the first vehicle I couldn't find the second one so reset it, then the map markers showed up. bugged game!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Actually I just did this. I don’t think they show up on the map until you scan close enough to them. Then they appear. In fact, I’m 99% sure this is how it works

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the metal detector mechanics. I wasn't paying attention for the armored cars but the plane parts definitely only appear after the metal detector is used relatively close to them. Unlike the seismic module there isn't any interaction other just driving around randomly and hoping you get lucky. Speaking of the Seismic module I wish it had the off/on ability like the metal detector; the constant beeping became really obnoxious when trying to get unstuck.

Seconding the Zika as a capable truck. It is surprisingly stable (probably due to the dualy rear axle) and it has a large amount of power for such a small truck.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the zikz is a sleeper tractor. it's super bouncy and tippy but it doesn't fall over when you have a semi trailer connected. it's light as hell but can somehow deliver the 5 cargo drills without a problem.

basically it looks like a gimmick vehicle but can absolutely clean up on maps like white valley

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Truth

I saw a video where a guy put the highest snorkel on it and was able to make it to the forbidden island in white valley. Thing was unstoppable

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Snowrunner is on sale and I have a coupon on top of that (I think they stack).

I like basic trucking/delivery games and I understand the gimmick of the game is the struggle of machine and stubbornness to get around hard-to-navigate terrain.

Does anyone find it fun on a casual level? Or do I have to be big into spintires/mudrunners to enjoy it? Because I don't care much for those games if the gimmick is just that puzzling aspect. What draws me to Snowrunner is that: doing that kind of poo poo in cold weather/snow is more appealing to me than just (pure) mud for the sake of it, and from the reviews I read: there's both a lot to do, as well as the idea of your successful tasks making other tasks easier by clearing areas and unlocking more things. That sounds engaging enough on its own, but I'd like some info before I bite the bullet.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I bounced off of spintires and mudrunner but have sunk well over a hundred hours into Snowrunner. I'm not sure it could be more casual, it's about driving slowly between destinations. You can get a very capable truck early on.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Sipher posted:

I bounced off of spintires and mudrunner but have sunk well over a hundred hours into Snowrunner. I'm not sure it could be more casual, it's about driving slowly between destinations. You can get a very capable truck early on.

Not gonna lie a lot of the posts here worried me. :ohdear:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Morter posted:

Not gonna lie a lot of the posts here worried me. :ohdear:

Nah, the first few maps are relatively "easy" - its only the newest/latest couple that are rough. And its mostly a very zen game.
100% worth the money IMO.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sipher posted:

This is in line with my own experience if you voices to convince you.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

It’s a great game... after playing for a bit, I got the urge to try and min-max it and do things as efficiently as possible, but I caught it in time and fought the urge and I feel like I enjoy it more.

Use whatever truck you think might be fun to drive... do whatever missions seem cool. Set it down if it becomes unfun. Works for me anyway

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Still my favorite game to blow an hour with when I need to relax and zone out. The trick is to not try to finish all the missions on a single map at once, you need to hop around a little bit to level up and unlock what you need for the tougher missions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I only had played Spintires before this and kind of hated it. For lack of a better description, the pacing is much better in this game. There's (unimproved obviously) roads going 90% of where you're going so the mud wrestling isn't constant and you unlock new trucks at a good clip.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Okay folks, I ended up snagging it :negative:

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I am basically done with Imandra, just have to return trailers, and man....I'm exhausted. I mostly liked it; the missions where you have to recover the plane and armored cars were really cool concepts and I loved how desolate the map was and how it forced you to set up waystations throughout. The map just tells you "gently caress you, figure it out. You think you're so smart". I love it and hate it.

By the end of it you pretty much figure out how to move around the map. Most trouble spots have an alternate route but that spot between the garage and tailer store can straight up go gently caress itself. You know the spot. Between the two big rocks. Yeah, that spot. gently caress that spot.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, yeah that spot sucks... I don’t think there is a truck in the game that can make it through there without winching a little at least. Tux 420 maybe... even my beloved cat needed a little help.

Also true that... the map gets much easier once you explore. Finding the steel plates was an aha moment. Also, not sure why I thought this, but I had assumed that there was ice you could fall through that would plummet you deep into water, but that’s not the case. After realizing it wasn’t an instant death sentence for the truck, I had a lot more fun tooling around in it. The cat is fairly impervious to it and can move along at a pretty good clip submerged. Arctic’s isn’t as good but is still able to move without winching.

I’m almost done with the map. I have the plane mission and two other tasks left...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

And here I am, just finishing off black river