Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
the god damned stumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

You need either a fuel trailer (you can buy at the trailer store, right next to the garage on the first map) or a truck with a maintenance or fuel attachment (via the garage). Then you drive to the out of fuel truck, open the menu and you'll find refueling options there, just make sure the source is the trailer and the target is the out of fuel truck. You can also do this with a truck that has a large fuel tank if you want.

Recovering the truck will return it to your garage, refuel it and repair it.

How much fuel it takes to go a certain distance depends on several factors, truck fuel efficiency rating, how you drive, the route you take, how loaded you are (I think, not 100% sure on that last one). You get a feel for it as you drive the trucks and learn the routes.

Ok I got lucky I ran out of fuel to a mission to retrieve a fuel tanker so managed to refill. The journey was a total nightmare though, I took the wrong path back and got stuck in a very narrow road with the fuel tanker, I had to reverse so I detach the tanker and tried to winch it to turn it around but flipped my self somehow, had to recover, gonna start over again. This game is definitely testing my problem solving skills and is very hard right off the bat. I am guessing it gets easier once you get better car, customization.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Ok thanks probably sold it then by accident? I was wondering if there is a way to know or calculate how much fuel it takes to get to a certain distance? How do I transport fuel to a car that is stuck without fuel when I go to the fuel place it just shows option to fill up the car I am currently driving.

Are you aware that there is more than one slot in the garage? You cycle between them with bumper buttons.

I originally did not know this and thought I had lost one of my starting trucks for a long time, but no, it was sitting in there the whole time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The transmission in this game is both not real and easy to understand when you expose the man behind the curtain.

Each engine has a throttle vs power curve and a throttle vs torque curve. I forget if gas consumption is derived from there or if its yet another curve.
Each gear (L, L1, L2, L3, H, H1, H2, A1-whatever happens to be in the gearbox) access different sections of the curve translating your current throttle input into a place on the power and torque curves.
The automatic gear box can get across the whole curve - you can definitely baby input and get the same torque or power results as you can get in the specific L and H gears but its annoying to do if you aren't a computer assisted tool
L gears access specific portions of the curve with high torque vs low power, clamping your throttle input in a way that your input range gives you useful high torque low power output
H gears access specific portions of the curve with high power output, clamping your throttle input in a way that your input range gives you maximum power all the time

If your power exceeds the ability of your tires to traction on hard ground you spin and get partial power transfer and lose traction overall. Ex. flooring it downhill between gravity getting you going fast plus engine power you're probably going to lose an axle and spin or otherwise start drifting side to side.
If your power exceeds the amount needed to deform mushy ground defined by your tires you spin and dig in, leading to possible problems later as grabbing forces increase. This is in addition to just sinking in causing some deformation.
If you do not have enough torque to overcome the stiction and grabbing forces of mushy ground around your tires you bog down. Especially apparent without diff lock where you can bog one side and spin the other.
Dynamics help and hurt you throughout like in the downhill spin example, but there's also things like skimming over hard mud in H while A will shift weird and get you bogged and L won't have a high enough speed to skim and will eventually bog and you'll be limited to L/low throttle input being able to get you to move.

So while the L and H gears don't do anything A can't, it clamps your throttle input into zone that benefits you for trying to work around some of the spin/sink/stick affinities you run into on bad ground. They're here to help because you aren't a robot who can input throttle at exactly the right amount to maximize torque or power.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

pthighs posted:

Are you aware that there is more than one slot in the garage? You cycle between them with bumper buttons.

I originally did not know this and thought I had lost one of my starting trucks for a long time, but no, it was sitting in there the whole time.

Ya I know but all my slots were empty when I came back to the garage. Anyhow I had DLC trucks so it wasn't too bad. So far I been just trying to discover the watchtowers in my pickup. Did one mission to retrieve a fuel tanker and it was nightmare because it was so far from the fuel depot and then I went the wrong path + flipped my truck. But managed to get it the 2nd time.

zedprime posted:

info dump

Thanks thats good to know, although currently I don't have the money for those gearbox upgrades. I have noticed a decent different between A and L, specially if you have L diff lock.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Diff lock is the only thing you get extra in low, yeah. But the sort of "low is for losers" driver in Snowrunner is driving a truck with permanent diff lock and the largest mud tires around. Which it should be mentioned, permanent diff lock in A is more of a limited slip and turns to full lock in low but you may not notice that if you have full upgrades and can get moving anywhere any time in A.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
For me it really depends on the truck. For some I rarely leave A (flying around in a Voron at max speed tearing my suspension to shreds) and others I almost never use A (kolob). Need to get a feel for a truck first.

Question: I know the logging tasks were added after release which is why the rewards are so high. But what about the big high reward tasks that unlock after you beat the “main” contract chain in a region? Like after the oil is set up in Michigan, there’s 6x cement and a couple other big ones. Were those in at release or added later?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How do you get a car you found in a wilds to your garage? I went to function to change trucks but I couldn't is there another button for this? It shows I need repair points to repair it as well.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ulio posted:

How do you get a car you found in a wilds to your garage? I went to function to change trucks but I couldn't is there another button for this? It shows I need repair points to repair it as well.

Most trucks you find out in the wild will require you to repair/refuel them before they become "yours", which gets easier the more upgrades you unlock but from the get-go you can buy a fuel or repair add-on or trailer and haul it over there and repair it. I believe the quest details on the HUD will now tell you how much you need to give it so you can plan more easily before heading out.

Alternatively, you can just winch the fucker and haul its rear end back to the garage where the process is far less of a task. Which option is easier will depend on what trucks you've got and what the route back is like

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Most trucks you find out in the wild will require you to repair/refuel them before they become "yours", which gets easier the more upgrades you unlock but from the get-go you can buy a fuel or repair add-on or trailer and haul it over there and repair it. I believe the quest details on the HUD will now tell you how much you need to give it so you can plan more easily before heading out.

Alternatively, you can just winch the fucker and haul its rear end back to the garage where the process is far less of a task. Which option is easier will depend on what trucks you've got and what the route back is like

Ya I winched it back to the garage but I saw online someone else dropped it next to the farm it was stuck in and they got like 1k cash. Can I still claim it for myself, I did manage to refuel it with one of my trucks but still can't repair.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You hosed up by not doing what the task told you. That said, it's probably still easier to repair/refuel the vehicle (super easy at the garage because it has a trailer store, they're basically free repair/refuel points) then tow it with the engine on to the mission completion point rather than restarting the mission.

Not all missions like that give you the truck. You can tell by looking at the rewards, it will tell you if you're going to get the vehicle as part of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ulio posted:

Ya I winched it back to the garage but I saw online someone else dropped it next to the farm it was stuck in and they got like 1k cash. Can I still claim it for myself, I did manage to refuel it with one of my trucks but still can't repair.

Oh if it's a quest recovery you don't get to keep those unless it tells you explicitly

Repairing and gassing it still helps a lot, when you're towing it you can have it running with a sort of AI driver and it makes it 10x easier

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Just got this game recently. It rules.

Got my first large truck in the tutorial stuck, the tooltip popped up saying I should use my other truck to get it out. Then both trucks were stuck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the snowrunner experience

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

Just got this game recently. It rules.

Got my first large truck in the tutorial stuck, the tooltip popped up saying I should use my other truck to get it out. Then both trucks were stuck.

Ciaphas posted:

the snowrunner experience

I'm great at flipping my recovery truck when I'm recovering a flipped truck

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Worked on the Michigan cargo from ship contract last night in coop

Had a Derry there with no trailer from a prior attempt I forgot
Drove out a 5600ts with ramped trailer and p12 with crane and fuel trailer. Very stupid pick of trucks , I didn't realize I needed the 4 slot til I was most of the way there

Flipped the 5600ts in Drummond. Flipped the p12 getting it out. Ramped trailer was a nightmare , brought the Derry over to help and eventually got it out.
Atomizer came over with a twinsteer and got that stuck in the water (he didn't have awd).
Someone else came with a zikz 605, so I let him have the trailer

Finally got everything upright and pulled some of the cargo out of the first nasty spot
Flipped the 5600 with it's small crane and the cargo rolled down the hill

Went back to try to get twinsteer and p12 out using the Derry.
Got them out just as atomizer came back with another Derry and azov. Then he drove the twinsteer as I winched it.
I destroyed the twinsteer fuel tank somehow, something I've never done. Put all the gas from the p12 and 5600 into it, drove it to get another container instead of craning the one from down the hill
With 5 gallons left he showed up with a service trailer from ??? And repaired it, fueled me up. I drove to Smithville

And disconnected when Comcast dropped, like 2 hours into this. It was his truck and my cargo , so no idea how that works

Snowrunner!!!

I can go back with a pair of low saddle off-road Russian trucks and knock this out in about 15 minutes if I really want to

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I finished the first regional objective in Michigan. Went real smooth until I had to get that last construction trailer and got stuck crossing the river north of the oil site.

I had to go get my Azov to get my Voron out, which took like 20 minutes. Then I got the trailer stuck on trees and rocks every 100 ft or so down the path and the Voron ran out of gas at the drilling site within sight of the drop off.

This is one of those games where loving up is fun.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
It's a puzzle solving game, not a truck driving game!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really like that it's both. Like one run you'll just easily cruise along, at most shifting into low gear a couple times and steering a little to find traction. The next you're stuck in 3 feet of mud and water and considering whether you should restart or if a third truck would fix this mess.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a lot of the problem-solving comes into play when you're trying to figure out alternate routes around a flooded/boggy/blocked road, too. if your missions have you driving down a boggy stretch of road five times, that may be a hint that it's not the best path!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Worked on the Michigan cargo from ship contract last night in coop

Had a Derry there with no trailer from a prior attempt I forgot
Drove out a 5600ts with ramped trailer and p12 with crane and fuel trailer. Very stupid pick of trucks , I didn't realize I needed the 4 slot til I was most of the way there

Flipped the 5600ts in Drummond. Flipped the p12 getting it out. Ramped trailer was a nightmare , brought the Derry over to help and eventually got it out.
Atomizer came over with a twinsteer and got that stuck in the water (he didn't have awd).
Someone else came with a zikz 605, so I let him have the trailer

Finally got everything upright and pulled some of the cargo out of the first nasty spot
Flipped the 5600 with it's small crane and the cargo rolled down the hill

Went back to try to get twinsteer and p12 out using the Derry.
Got them out just as atomizer came back with another Derry and azov. Then he drove the twinsteer as I winched it.
I destroyed the twinsteer fuel tank somehow, something I've never done. Put all the gas from the p12 and 5600 into it, drove it to get another container instead of craning the one from down the hill
With 5 gallons left he showed up with a service trailer from ??? And repaired it, fueled me up. I drove to Smithville

And disconnected when Comcast dropped, like 2 hours into this. It was his truck and my cargo , so no idea how that works

Snowrunner!!!

I can go back with a pair of low saddle off-road Russian trucks and knock this out in about 15 minutes if I really want to

That service trailer was already on the map, right at that fork in the road that splits off to the cargo ship. It was one of the things I had trouble dodging with the Twinsteer (along with your truck & fuel trailer) that made me get it stuck in the first place. (Although, it would've been a tight squeeze getting it through anyways, as although I've 100%ed Michigan on my Switch playthrough, it's been a while so I didn't remember just how cramped that route was and I definitely don't have most upgrades on my PC playthrough.)

What *should* happen after that session & disconnection is that all the cargo is *yours* and should be on the ground at the last position the game saved them, and my trucks will be in the garage (on the next co-op session as a client) or wherever they were in my single-player playthrough should I start up a game as host.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

a lot of the problem-solving comes into play when you're trying to figure out alternate routes around a flooded/boggy/blocked road, too. if your missions have you driving down a boggy stretch of road five times, that may be a hint that it's not the best path!

or it could actually be the best path and the devs are just sadists

game's funny, that way

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

And planning your route with a fuel stop on the way.

Btw I still don't understand how to get a 2nd vehicle out. Like if I run out of fuel, I go to functions and press change trucks but it just shows the icon of my current truck in the bottom it says 0/2. I have like all the slots on my garage full with cars as well. So far I have gotten luck by finding refiners whenever I went low on fuel with no station nearby but I really want to know how to get a 2nd car out so I can pull myself out of sticky situations. And also I been using like a offroad truck for 90% of the missions so far since it's just going on muddy tracks or mountains. I don't know when to use a heavy or heavy duty. Should you mix and match during a contract? I've used the scouts for the watchtowers.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 22, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

And planning your route with a fuel stop on the way.

Btw I still don't understand how to get a 2nd vehicle out. Like if I run out of fuel, I go to functions and press change trucks but it just shows the icon of my current truck in the bottom it says 0/2. I have like all the slots on my garage full with cars as well. So far I have gotten luck by finding refiners whenever I went low on fuel with no station nearby but I really want to know how to get a 2nd car out so I can pull myself out of sticky situations. And also I been using like a offroad truck for 90% of the missions so far since it's just going on muddy tracks or mountains. I don't know when to use a heavy or heavy duty. Should you mix and match during a contract? I've used the scouts for the watchtowers.

You can fast travel to the garage from in your truck. The truck stays where it is and you can pull another one out of the garage. (Do it from the map, not the Recovery option)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

You can fast travel to the garage from in your truck. The truck stays where it is and you can pull another one out of the garage. (Do it from the map, not the Recovery option)

More specifically, you can go straight into a garage from the map screen by two methods:

1. Scroll through the map index on the left until the garage is highlighted, then double click it. This brings you to the garage of the map you are already on.

2. Pulling up the regions screen on the map allows you to enter the garage of any other map with a single button press. Go to regions, tab over to the one you want, then press button for travel (square on PS4/5). This is handy if there is no garage on the map you are in (like in Michigan or Alaska), or the other map's garage is closer to a more convenient tunnel (Wisconsin).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I would advise you to get used to always doing the second one. It's much faster, since you don't have to go through the list, and it's intuitive because the button to warp to the garage is the same one to get to the region selecting screen in the first place.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
You can also switch to other trucks you've left on the map via fast travel this way. I believe the change trucks option in the menu when driving a truck only works for trucks near the one you're in.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

You can also switch to other trucks you've left on the map via fast travel this way. I believe the change trucks option in the menu when driving a truck only works for trucks near the one you're in.

Correct. Any truck active on a map goes to the top of the index in the map screen.

In the region map, the type of truck present in a map is indicated by an icon indicating type of truck (scout, offroad, heavy, etc). Going into said map allows you to select an individual truck to warp to, even if your active truck isn't in that region.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You can also fast travel to a truck or garage by scrolling to it on the map itself, selecting it and confirming to travel there.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

More specifically, you can go straight into a garage from the map screen by two methods:

1. Scroll through the map index on the left until the garage is highlighted, then double click it. This brings you to the garage of the map you are already on.

2. Pulling up the regions screen on the map allows you to enter the garage of any other map with a single button press. Go to regions, tab over to the one you want, then press button for travel (square on PS4/5). This is handy if there is no garage on the map you are in (like in Michigan or Alaska), or the other map's garage is closer to a more convenient tunnel (Wisconsin).

Ok makes sense now, I wasn't going to the global map section when I had one car. Also I see that you can check the map from the garage to so you an recover one car then press the map button go back to the other. Thanks!

E: Btw I got the rear/front upgrade for logs then bought the trailer for logs but it's only letting me put small/medium logs?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 24, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ulio posted:

Ok makes sense now, I wasn't going to the global map section when I had one car. Also I see that you can check the map from the garage to so you an recover one car then press the map button go back to the other. Thanks!

E: Btw I got the rear/front upgrade for logs then bought the trailer for logs but it's only letting me put small/medium logs?

You have to have the log carrier front on your actual truck via the garage, then buy a log carrier rear trailer in the trailer store, it's the one that only has 1 fork on it and it kinda spins loose until you pick up logs.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
FYI the logging missions were added later and are more tedious and lengthy than the usual contracts.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ultrachrist posted:

FYI the logging missions were added later and are more tedious and lengthy than the usual contracts.

I figured from the much higher rewards that they were more or less endgame content.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I skipped them for now. But I also noticed that when you buy a trailer from the store and have the install for it on your truck, it attaches in a different way. But then when you attach it after detaching it from the ground, it attaches in a different way?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Does anyone know how to export 3D models from this game? I want to build a scale RC replica of the 6900 Twinsteer.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Once in a while I'll make a reference to the "haunted/possessed" physics bug that sometimes happens, perhaps exclusively in multiplayer. Since it was surprisingly hard to just search for examples of this despite having seen it before, here's one that I just spotted, so everyone who hasn't seen it before doesn't think I'm making it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/wdky37/didnt_know_about_the_helicopter_update/

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

you don't need cowardly gizmos like differential locks and all wheel drive to make it up a mountain

Atomizer posted:

Once in a while I'll make a reference to the "haunted/possessed" physics bug that sometimes happens, perhaps exclusively in multiplayer. Since it was surprisingly hard to just search for examples of this despite having seen it before, here's one that I just spotted, so everyone who hasn't seen it before doesn't think I'm making it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/wdky37/didnt_know_about_the_helicopter_update/

that bug has been in MP since launch, it almost always involves using a crane

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

padijun posted:

that bug has been in MP since launch, it almost always involves using a crane

In my experience it seems to crop up commonly when hauling logs, which doesn't make any more sense.

But mostly I just wanted to get it in the thread for future reference.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is the speed boost from the Gor BY-4's best engine worthwhile compared to its 2nd best, considering i've never even been to Northern Aegis Installation and have only done enough of Urska River to get to Cosmodrome?

not even sure what i'd use it for tbh, but hey gottagofast

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
more engine power is also useful for avoiding becoming stuck and getting unstuck once you fail to avoid doing so. bigger engines and bigger tires are the main upgrades you can make.