Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

My game crashed and I lost a bunch of upgrades :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

big nipples big life posted:

The kahn scout from the season pass is a beast, it seems like nothing can stop it.

Nothing except pine tree branches hurling the truck upside down when you brush up against them

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Why are the tree branches so loving strong in this one lmao. Feels almost unintended

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

My game crashed and I lost a bunch of upgrades :(

Did your save get corrupted?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No and luckily my psn cloud save was from like an hour before so i just loaded that. I won't be changing a bunch of parts around right before loading a new region again.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Putting highrange gearboxes in offroad trucks is so much fun but always ends in disaster. I've been spending more time righting my tipped over trucks than actually driving them. :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Speaking of gearboxes, what exactly are the high gear and "low-" gears for? I can never find a use for them. I'm always in auto or low/low+.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Speaking of gearboxes, what exactly are the high gear and "low-" gears for? I can never find a use for them. I'm always in auto or low/low+.

I've hauled rear end with high gear before in some of the more massive vehicles hauling stuff down actual roads, but other than that I don't really know.

Is there any major difference between flatbed and sideboard beds?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Wrr posted:

I've hauled rear end with high gear before in some of the more massive vehicles hauling stuff down actual roads, but other than that I don't really know.

Is there any major difference between flatbed and sideboard beds?

$200 I think.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

On some trucks I've found H gives much better fuel mileage than A in easy terrain.

Low - is good for descending absurdly steep grades. On the two reach the peak things i just drove straight down the side of the mountain after in the Khan in L-

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2020

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If you could put wings on the Cat CT680 an upgraded engine and highway gearbox would make it fly.
Once you get in one of the trucks that really benefit from high gear you'll start to wonder how you ever lived without.

The twinsteer is also hilarious in high gear, it zooms along at incredible speed and is utterly uncontrollable.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I didn't want to sell the Royal to buy a Paystar but finally broke down and did and I should have made that decision a long time ago.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I'm really enjoying the game so far but find it bizarre that the accelerator is just on/off instead of analogue.

Just got the Hummer last night and it's completely unstoppable.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I've taken to using H on a lot of trips from Drowned Lands because going over ~2nd gear speeds in Auto results in these insane wheel/suspension damages from phantom sources. I guess it's potholes? I've probably done the drive from DL->Quarry like 15 times now :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Necronomicon posted:

I'm really enjoying the game so far but find it bizarre that the accelerator is just on/off instead of analogue.

It is? I swear it feels analogue in Mudrunner.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Oldstench posted:

High is good if your truck is hunting for gears too much and sometimes you can just charge through mud with it, depends on the truck

Necronomicon posted:

It is analogue though. For PC with controller anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's a shame the mapmaker went ham when designing the maps because there's absolutely no point to any of the highway trucks. Every single road in this game has giant black mud tar pits along the highways.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

In the tire guide in the OP it lists "P16 Offroad" tires as being generally amazing. Are those the tires that come on the P16? The hummer's special tires it actually lists them in game as something special, the P16's offroad tires are just listed as one of the other types, although the listed specs in-game seem closer to what the tire guide says. Are they that tire, like a beefed-up one to make up for the P16 not having AWD? Is that thing any good anyways?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bhodi posted:

it's a shame the mapmaker went ham when designing the maps because there's absolutely no point to any of the highway trucks. Every single road in this game has giant black mud tar pits along the highways.

I agree. Taymyr in particular is full of little bullshit gotchas. The big GMC (Pbuh) can usually power through the rough spots in the Alaska maps. The highway trucks are also useful on Island Lake, where there are plenty of clear roads and you have to haul freight from another map. Using them in conjunction with heavy-duties seems to be the way to go. Don't forget truck dorifto, the suped-up Transtar's natural element.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The Voron AE-4380 has access to the same paint job as the maintenance frame addon but can't equip one, what a cruel world this is.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

holy poo poo that mission to recover the white western star. I feel like I should have got way more xp for what an ordeal that was, definitely felt like an achievement when i pulled into the garage parking lot finally.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shortspecialbus posted:

In the tire guide in the OP it lists "P16 Offroad" tires as being generally amazing. Are those the tires that come on the P16? The hummer's special tires it actually lists them in game as something special, the P16's offroad tires are just listed as one of the other types, although the listed specs in-game seem closer to what the tire guide says. Are they that tire, like a beefed-up one to make up for the P16 not having AWD? Is that thing any good anyways?
The P16 being findable and those default tires having great mud stats means its the earliest mud tires you can get in the game. Who cares what the front wheels are doing, you are still moving in mud by virtue of having grip. That and the high deck means its your bail out buddy if anything gets stuck or you find a spot that swallows your Paystar up to the deck. Like a lot of Michigan river fords.

The customization is almost entirely missing to do anything mission related. You can do some of the high saddle stuff with it (even that struggles because its saddle is strangely high and can make it a problem to get it to actually hook up to anything) but as soon as you get some P12 off road or mud tires that'll be a better US heavy mission runner.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

holy poo poo that mission to recover the white western star. I feel like I should have got way more xp for what an ordeal that was, definitely felt like an achievement when i pulled into the garage parking lot finally.

That is exactly why I used it the whole rest of the game, out of pure cussedness. If it wasn't for coop, I'd start a new game and try to only use the Fleetstar and Western Star heavy-duty trucks, with the GMC as a supporting vehicle.

Which route did you take it through? Going all the way through the mud towards the east is easiest, all the steep paths are too narrow to yank the thing clear with all but the most powerful of trucks.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

The P16 being findable and those default tires having great mud stats means its the earliest mud tires you can get in the game. Who cares what the front wheels are doing, you are still moving in mud by virtue of having grip. That and the high deck means its your bail out buddy if anything gets stuck or you find a spot that swallows your Paystar up to the deck. Like a lot of Michigan river fords.

The customization is almost entirely missing to do anything mission related. You can do some of the high saddle stuff with it (even that struggles because its saddle is strangely high and can make it a problem to get it to actually hook up to anything) but as soon as you get some P12 off road or mud tires that'll be a better US heavy mission runner.

Yeah I have plenty of decent trucks at this point, I was more curious about it as a, well, curiosity. And the guide wasn't entirely clear is all since I expected the truck tire name to be more similar to the Hummer tires.

Right now my Tayga is my primary mission workhorse with the Kolob my primary heavy. I have the free Cat and I still keep the Fleetstar around too for odd jobs. Plus like 6 other trucks in the garage.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

First I tried it with the Royal and didn't have all terrain tires unlocked yet, that was a failure, then I went back with the Paystar, first I tried going up the hill by the dam but that switchback through the rocks was no go so I dragged it back across the island it started on and went a super long route, had to run out with my H2 twice to give it gas. Before I started the mission I drove out to it with a truck with the maintenance rig to fix it up so it could help out with the tow.

red is the failed route, blue is the successful one

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I took it the red route, can't remember what I used for the tow (probably the Royal at that stage of the game) but I spent a lot of time jemmying it up the switchback. The key is to line it up beforehand and use varying rope lengths to get over the step. You can drive out the back of the switchback quite a distance and use trees as brace points as well.

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you use the P12 with AWD, pulling the White WesternStar up the steep trail directly in front of the dam is a piece of cake. You'll have to unhitch and winch yourself forward at the boulder in the path, and once more once you get around the bend and pull the WW past the inside tree. The rest can be muscled through on pure P12 power.

After doing that mission back to back 4 times in a row we were able to get it out in 6 minutes flat from the time you hook to the WW until you hit the paved road at the trail head.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I wanna share a "trick" that I should have figured out long ago and maybe you're dumb like me:

I'm fairly late-game, so I don't get stuck much, but I'm doing a mission with the Seismic Vibrator, which adds a ton of weight. There's a mission taking me across water and the truck is just STUCK. There's 1 tree as a winch anchor, but it's dead-straight on and pulling on it just ends up pinning me against the tree.

BUT - most of the bigger trucks have multiple winch points. I've usually used them for side-pulls when I'm stuck in a bog and need some grip, but you can actually pull through them out the front of the truck. Since they're off-center, they generally twist you a bit as they pull and do a HELL of a lot good getting you out of spots like that.

Linked video is the exact same situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fdG9oirutA&t=259s

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you haven't yet, give the Tayga a try with the highway transmission and double offroad tires in the back. So fast, so fun. Not sure there's any better truck in pretty much any circumstance.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Welp, the cabin protector cosmetic is a trap. It pushes back the addon part far enough back that it apparently makes it impossible to attach trailers. At least the big one in the Quarry.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

tjones posted:

If you use the P12 with AWD, pulling the White WesternStar up the steep trail directly in front of the dam is a piece of cake. You'll have to unhitch and winch yourself forward at the boulder in the path, and once more once you get around the bend and pull the WW past the inside tree. The rest can be muscled through on pure P12 power.

After doing that mission back to back 4 times in a row we were able to get it out in 6 minutes flat from the time you hook to the WW until you hit the paved road at the trail head.

Sounds drat similar to my path. Tried the switchback over and over, kept failing. Ended up just going "Around" it - used the P12, and would drag the Western Star, then winch the P12 up, then drag the Western Star - took a few minutes, but she came up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Oh man, I got the special Tayga mud tires last night and the Tayga is now an unstoppable beast. I love this truck. There is almost nothing it can't do at this point. Just drive around all the time in Low+ and it makes solid speed without getting too damaged from invisible rocks and the like, occasionally shift to a lower Low gear for really bad mud or tight maneuvering in rocky hills. If you're not in Russia with it, you can use the normal automatic more, it just takes a lot more damage from random invisible poo poo in Russia.

I still use a heavy for pulling bigger vehicles around but for almost any hauling or other mission, this thing can and will do it fine. I just wish the controls were better on Xbox :(

This is my favorite truck in the game now, easily.

Also got the TUZ :420: last night and that thing is pretty unstoppable too, although I have a hell of a time turning it sometimes and it struggles a bit in really narrow switchbacks that the hummer or the special edition mud truck do better.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

gently caress these loving stumps.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Could anyone give me some tips for the early game. Right now I'm focusing on getting concrete blocks for the Mountain Bridge (accidentally got concrete slabs the first time) but I'm wondering if I should be focusing on upgrading my trucks (GMC and Fleetstar) or finding a different truck because the route between the Garage and the Warehouse is slow going. Also I noticed that for the Mountain Bridge task the concrete blocks are slightly greyed out compared to the other deliveries I need to make and I'm not quite sure why that is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rhaegar posted:

Could anyone give me some tips for the early game. Right now I'm focusing on getting concrete blocks for the Mountain Bridge (accidentally got concrete slabs the first time) but I'm wondering if I should be focusing on upgrading my trucks (GMC and Fleetstar) or finding a different truck because the route between the Garage and the Warehouse is slow going. Also I noticed that for the Mountain Bridge task the concrete blocks are slightly greyed out compared to the other deliveries I need to make and I'm not quite sure why that is.

Gonna piggyback on this request. I ran the starter missions in Michigan, unlocked Alaska and it feels like I can't do a single mission there without getting permastuck or not being able to load up the uhhhh cement blocks? That some sidequest wanted me to.

Am I supposed to complete Michigan first before heading to Alaska, or will I be going back and forth between zones?

What should I be looking to get/upgrade in early game regarding the trucks and trailers?

tjones
May 13, 2005
Go back to Michigan until you get offroad tires at minimum. Waiting until you unlock trucks that have mud tires would be preferrable, IMO.

Rhaegar posted:

The start of the game is rough going at best. Make sure you've scouted everything first and activated all the tasks (yellow squares) along the way. Work on the tasks first before tackling the main missions. As for the greyed out quests, some require one material delivery before they'll accept the other materials they require. Try to combine as many tasks as you can to minimize your trips. You'll want to quickly level up to unlock offroad tires for your big trucks as it will make the game a lot more bareable.

The Fleetstar is a great truck, but you may like the Paystar more early game until you are able to upgrade the Fleetstar. Don't be afraid to try other vehicles, even if you have to sell what you have. You can buy and sell them without losing any of your money. Make sure you sell back any parts you aren't using after you upgrade.

What path are you taking to the Warehouse? If you're going all the way around the long way along the main road you're moving through two swampy areas. Instead, drive around the right side of the first big bog going up the hill next to the garage, and immediately make a left up the rocky pass. At the fork, take a right and it will drop you out right in front of the warehouse.

tjones fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 25, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Rhaegar posted:

Focus on opening up the map, the upgrades that make most difference (tyres) are level locked anyway, so all of your progression is essentially focussing on upgrading. The Fleetstar can handle pretty much anything on the first map without upgrades though.

I think the blocks may be greyed out because that bridge is a two part task and you have to deliver wood planks first.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gonna piggyback on this request. I ran the starter missions in Michigan, unlocked Alaska and it feels like I can't do a single mission there without getting permastuck or not being able to load up the uhhhh cement blocks? That some sidequest wanted me to.

Am I supposed to complete Michigan first before heading to Alaska, or will I be going back and forth between zones?

What should I be looking to get/upgrade in early game regarding the trucks and trailers?

Leave Alaska alone until you have at least offroad tyres, mud tyres to make it easy mode. Upgrades are pretty self-directing so I wouldn't worry about planning them particularly, and there's no penalty to buying something then changing your mind so just go with whatever.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rhaegar posted:

biggest help for me getting started was selling the starting trucks ASAP and getting the Paystar. The Paystar is a great starter truck that handles the michigan mud much better than those other 2 trucks. From there, just do jobs to get comfortable with the game and mechanics. Alaska is pretty tough without mud tires, russia too, but both of their starter maps have trucks that u can find and get for free which helps a ton in the early game. Dont be afraid to enable coop either. Its fun havin strangers tow u outta the mud

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Ok thanks everyone for the advice. Might give the Paystar a try.

I had delivered the first part of the Mountain Bridge already so was expecting the concrete blocks to not be greyed out but maybe it never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

shortspecialbus posted:

gently caress these loving stumps.

Stumps are OP.

also, this game is very cruel by not mentioning getting rid of the starter trucks - they are virtually worthless compared to the *star trucks and you can get it basically as soon as you start.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 25, 2020