Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've stopped using normal brake unless it's trimming speed while going medium fast. Parking brake is more reliable at low and fast speeds. I can't believe the game made me type that out but well what is a truck video game for if not for doing parking brake turns with trucks.

E. blame the fast speed reason on the brake forces being hosed up from front to back. Front locks up at the slightest glance at the brake. Better to just lock the back wheels ahead of time if you want to slow down from free rolling down a big hill.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shortspecialbus posted:

There needs to be a "lock trailer steering" button because it's all but impossible to back those things up unless you jackknife that steerable thing into itself and sort of shove the trailer sideways.

How would you even do that in real life? Do they have a steering lock for backing them up? I'd think they have to because even trying to account for that with your own steering they have a tendency to auto-jackknife themselves even if on a flat surface and backing up completely straight.

Fake Edit: Guessing in real life you just don't ever back those up really
You can back then up in real life but it's easier for a few reasons. The integral steering with a keyboard/controller stick instead of an absolute steering wheel means it's mostly impossible in game. You can do it in Snowrunner but you have to do it very carefully - very small steering inputs are enough to overshoot and break the tongue in the opposite direction you want in a way you need to pull forward a bit to fix.

In the sim thread I mentioned it seemed like weight on the front axle seemed to help like it does in real life but I'm not so sure anymore. In real life you might lock the front axle with a pin when the trailer is empty because they are designed to turn correctly when loaded. When it's loaded they turn fine and predictably and truck fuckling wizards can do it with a mental map of the tongue angle compared to the trailer angle they see in their mirrors. Little easier if you're in like a tractor or airport mule because you can look out the window and at the axle and tell where you're at and know what to do next to get it where you want it to go.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shortspecialbus posted:

In the tire guide in the OP it lists "P16 Offroad" tires as being generally amazing. Are those the tires that come on the P16? The hummer's special tires it actually lists them in game as something special, the P16's offroad tires are just listed as one of the other types, although the listed specs in-game seem closer to what the tire guide says. Are they that tire, like a beefed-up one to make up for the P16 not having AWD? Is that thing any good anyways?
The P16 being findable and those default tires having great mud stats means its the earliest mud tires you can get in the game. Who cares what the front wheels are doing, you are still moving in mud by virtue of having grip. That and the high deck means its your bail out buddy if anything gets stuck or you find a spot that swallows your Paystar up to the deck. Like a lot of Michigan river fords.

The customization is almost entirely missing to do anything mission related. You can do some of the high saddle stuff with it (even that struggles because its saddle is strangely high and can make it a problem to get it to actually hook up to anything) but as soon as you get some P12 off road or mud tires that'll be a better US heavy mission runner.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is a ford from the Drummond north landmass to the south landmass until you build the bridge that needs built at the south landmass only. I wouldn't run cargo through it necessarily but it exists. You can see the shallows on the map, there ins't really a road so much as a clearing but when should that stop you.

Island Lake is almost boring once you get offroad or mud tires. Just long strips of occasional mud so its not like its hard to ferry the bridge goods into the Drummond.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
White Western Star has better dynamics but you can't attach a trailer when you have a crane and a bed like the Fleetstar.

Fleetstar is the overall US MVP because it's do anything config means less garage visits to rekit for crane missions. With honorable mentions to the WWS and Cat CT680 which are just as good because you don't need a crane most of the time anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mudtires seem mandatory for the swamped tasks except maybe the farm pickup. They are tricky in that those tasks are kind of mid-late game tasks even though you run into them immediately on the first map of the game. Some of them you can't even do creative winching as every winch point is small, or they are just nonexistent.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
After you get all terrain tires and a diff lock you never really get stuck unless you foolishly venture into a mud puddle that sucks you up to your deck. Or try towing things through mud. Then you winch out. You need to go out of your way to get really stuck, there's fell trees you can winch on everywhere but spots of the map that are clearly endbosses.

It's more like you're going 1.5 mph and entertain yourself by steering around looking for less sticky spots (they technically exists but good luck finding them) or trying to winch yourself out slightly faster. This is a personal feeling if that's exciting or dull or the strange union of both (it's this).

E. Mud ain't nothing but a thing. Bad grades are the real enemy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Trailers are like going to Aldi's. Most of the time you'll just return your own cart for the deposit. But sometimes you're feeling industrious and clean house. And occasionally you're just not feeling either and you're the one dropping the cart for some future industrious person to return.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not specially familiar with the tires in question but be careful with the charts friction coefficients. It ignores contact patch size you get from wider tires or dual tires.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Xaris posted:

Is there a better chart that shows that information somewhere?
Your eyeballs. Contact patch comes from physics engine so it's not something someone is going to datamine. Just look at the tires before you get married to a result from the chart and make sure they have comparable widths and visually look like similar contact. Contact patch is arguably more important than coefficient and gives some special results where coefficients might look better.

Some of the special tires it's even more annoying because tire PSI/floppyness is special snowflake values too. Modders have those but I've not seen them so not sure if it's just a lack of collating the data.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That mud pit is the newbies bane. Just skirt around it. You can't gear up to run through it without end game build with mud tires and or long winch. This will be a common theme for your next 20 hours or so.

Michigan's the easy map definitely. You can treat the rhythm either explore-mission-explore repeat or explore all then missions, either is cool. You can do a lot of the rebuild stuff on the first map with a stock GMC or Fleetstar by being smart about winching and path selection and skirting around the obvious big mud pits.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Chevy is really good though. It's a bit tippy if you raise it before you unlock wider tires but it's a solid scout in general.

Most scouts are good because you have the luxury of saying gently caress you entirely to bad terrain and cutting through/around.

E. Late unlocking all terrain tires is kind of bad yeah. I recommend the Paystar entirely because it comes with all terrain. Mud should be an end game reward though, it basically defuses any route planning besides avoiding getting up to your deck in mud.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 10, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sekenr posted:

Thanks for the info. If you bought a trailer once, is it now free or have to rebuy each time after you lost/ditched it?

E: Is the road via the wooden bridge feasible?

zedprime posted:

Trailers are like going to Aldi's. Most of the time you'll just return your own cart for the deposit. But sometimes you're feeling industrious and clean house. And occasionally you're just not feeling either and you're the one dropping the cart for some future industrious person to return.
Just avoid any tight switchbacks during Not a Drill and you'll be fine. If you're talking about the bridge you build directly to the drill site from the east bank it's fine, just come to it from the south, the northern route down to it with the switchbacks is hard enough with any trailer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Specifically with watch towers the other watch out is that most of the absolutely free trucks are just outside the watchtower range. You can see trucks (and car wrecks) on the map as a model so you can catch all the watchtowers and zoom in and skim around the fog of war that's left looking for the models.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Heavy machinery can be found "cheap" because you don't just need a mechanic. You need mechanics.

And probably a rig to cast and finish metal parts unless you want another truck to truck in the first trucks spare parts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The cranes are really roughly designed. Even light cargo is overload for an extended mini-crane and will tip you at full extension so that's trap number 1. Applying stick or returning to neutral is seemingly underdamped so if you don't supernaturally control the stick the impulse force will rock your truck even without a load so that's trap 2. Despite being underdamped max force at every stick input it still gets caught on geometry with no feed back so that's trap 3, feeding back into trap 2 once you free yourself from geometry it springs back to it's memory position based on your inputs which is who knows where and does it at full strength and impulse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

A thread! Finally! Wtf does high gear do and why would i ever need it!?
High gear is like second gear and a half in the off-road gearbox, and similarly mid range in the highway gearbox. You use it because the god awful automatic gearbox bogs down for no reason at all unless you are on a pretty clear stretch of asphalt or hardpack dirt and the amount of time you spend swapping gears (even using clutch in to manually recalculate the current auto gear) will bog you down to barely moving while high gear just powers through.

Even if you don't use it full time you can still use it as the accelerate gear. Get moving in auto, switch into high for a boost of power, switch back to auto now in 3 or 4 gear.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Paystar is a bad truck with good tires, which is big when all the good tires are level locked.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The big important missions themselves generally allow you to follow a main road although in a roundabout way.

Main roads can be misleading because of stuff like the mudpit outside your first Michigan garage or the cambered turn of doom going south on the east edge of the Michigan drat map but there's generally tricks to those by skirting around usually or finding a less main but mostly dirt hard pack option.

You can do most of the game (not counting tasks that don't result in building something here, these are the challenge missions really) with highway tires and no diff lock but it's not how id recommend it. Gating all terrains and diff lock behind level/gear finding and the trick to avoid that is buying a worse but already upgraded truck is a little frustrating though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Check if you ran into a tree branch. They are magically immobile walls you can winch to, up until you satisfy the physics gods and the game recognizes you ran it over and it instantly and immediately goes crunch into non existence.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
First rule of trucking: think about how wide of a turn you want to take and then go wider. I started on the inside curb and aimed for a 3 pointer where my right tire was on the curb through the middle and most of the out of that turn.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Occasionally when hauling a semi or wagon trailer you think of only this thing was locked in a line and had big beefy tires like the truck.

Occasionally when driving the Twinsteer you think man I sure wish this thing bent in the middle.

You might think the answer is in the middle and try out that bendy Cat but let me assure you centrists get nowhere fast.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bendy Cat has the same cargo capacity as the Twinsteer IIRC. The description text is misleading when it says 2 containers, it really means 4 cargo slots.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can also visually see the car wrecks in the fog of war zooming into the map.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Changing engine or transmission is a little weird but it's absolutely criminal a game called Snowrunner does not have chain up/chain down mechanics.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weekly reminder these are friction parameter dumps and geometry factors in. Tatarin's mud 8 is part god tire, part probably a strange geometry and they had to juice it to make it handle the way they wanted it to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC you can also "pick up" intermediate points to shuffle them around and maybe delete them? I can't remember without having the map and a controller in front of me.

You use the other trucks because this is a truck game about driving cool trucks, you don't need maximum missions completed per minute all the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GhostDog posted:

The fact that you don't care and make your own fun is not an argument against it being badly designed.
If your truck suspension grew taller and your center of gravity lowered as you leveled up like a Truck RPG that would be a very different but cool game.

But it's a truck toybox. The trucks work like they look. I feel like to make them work unlike they look misses a point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I only had played Spintires before this and kind of hated it. For lack of a better description, the pacing is much better in this game. There's (unimproved obviously) roads going 90% of where you're going so the mud wrestling isn't constant and you unlock new trucks at a good clip.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's kind of built in to control more like an RC car with an Xbox controller than a real truck. Wheel support in the series has always been wonky, how fast the wheels turn is like a hidden truck stat. I don't think there's any good force feedback integration to match your wheel deflection to the game limited turn rate so you're forever hunting custom wheel settings to make it feel like you're driving a truck and not playing Super Off-road.

But it's really good feeling on a controller out of the box, as a direct converse to ATS/ETS where the wheels work directly out of the box and the controllers take a lot of tweak to feel right.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's nothing conceptually wrong with rocks in the road. With exploding tires I'd argue the fix is make the sim work better at speed instead of apply street sweeper like cleanliness. At engine propelled speeds the effects seem fine, you should expect some extra damage from nailing a rock at speed. It's just the free wheeling down hills seems to apply out of sort damage.

I generally enjoyed the map flow and improvements you can make to Michigan and Alaska but never started Russia or the DLC so maybe it goes downhill. Much better than Spintires maps of "find the less sticky traversal routes by testing." I expect there's always going to be a weird balance of what is worth spending modeling and testing on improvements vs. some spots of the map being genuinely meant to be off roading boss fights that is going to leave someone feel like something more could be done in either direction.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
113 hours is gonna be how long you stare at the map picking out a route where that isn't gonna get hung up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm surprised differential gears aren't in high school physics simple machines yet. They are kind of obnoxiously simple.

To complete the thought, diffs have something of a breaking point. If you get any too far unbalanced force between wheels you can end up with all the power going to the wheel seeing the least resistance. You can see that in the video when he grabs the tire. This is bad for offroading because if one wheel is slightly deeper in the mid, you hit this unbalanced point and send all power to the other wheel. This can feedback a bit where because the wheel is getting too much power, it starts slipping because it's now making no contact, which means more power goes to it and so on until you have one wheel with all the power doing nothing useful.

Locking the diff makes sure both wheels see equal power. This is good in mud where you are looking for every bit of both wheels.

In Mudrunner / Snowrunner it translates to making things go really well on all surfaces. The big reason you don't lock a diff all the time in real life is because you need to pay for tires and transmission parts. There's handling reasons too but Mudrunner doesn't really sim that deep beyond your turn radius sucking a little more. Instead it just gives you transmission damage if you use it on surfaces that don't need it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I normally want a heavy class truck for anything needing a saddle high. Not for any power reasons or anything like that but because between the wide trucks themselves and the limited turning radius you're usually kept from doing anything incredibly boneheaded from a center of gravity point of view. There's a few available from map exploration or else trade everything in to buy one and trade it back when you're done.

That's also where you mount the big cranes which you probably need.

I thought they patched in trailer reset into the mission screen at some point after everybody kept getting their giant mission trailers lodged in weird places.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The takeaway here is you should be ready to exchange and reexchange trucks depending on what you have unlocked for a given set of trucks. The Paystar is really good because of early dirt tires but is quickly outclassed by anything that doesn't fall over.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there any way to disable auto-reverse when holding break? Even if it's an ini or hex edit or mod?

Sometimes I just want to slow down or stop and not loving reverse.
Replace your braking habit with a parking brake habit.

The parking brake is a superior brake. The luxury of digital trucks and cars is you can throw the parking brake whenever you want and not worry about dying or breaking it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Highway trucks are fairly robust base platforms but have all their off-road gear come later in level progression. Good tires and a raised deck is basically the entirety of the turnaround beside it just being a good neutered truck before then.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

pthighs posted:

Just tried this out yesterday once I realized it's on Game Pass. Any consensus on PC vs. Xbox (Series X)? I do have an old USB steering wheel I could use on PC, not sure if that makes the game better or not.
It maybe got better, but all else being the same consoles are locked to a medium physics setting which in the past was much quicker to have Physics Events even when solo. It may have been generally improved or if the settings are any different on next gen.

Steering wheel support is bad in this series, don't let that sway you.

If you have a PC that runs it, that was traditionally the better option between load times and physics settings, but I don't know how the next gen ports affected that balance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The DLC maps assume you have unlocks and/or knowledge to do some wild poo poo but everything in the base game is generally doable at any level with any trucks. The capstone missions usually don't ask for anything more than a heavy truck and patience. Maybe a second heavy truck to tow the first in any deep unavoidable mud (gently caress you Alaska route to the harbor).

Base game Russia maps have a trick: the roads are your enemy. Do not use roads if you can help it. They are navigational land marks, but have such hosed up mud puddles or grading that the roads always end in tears. This can be a wakeup call from Michigan where 90% of roads are great and Alaska where all the roads are great but icy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can just barely jog around the trees in a full size truck and trailer and avoid the Tiltenator camber turn.