Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Have goons been doing coop at all? I played Spintires way back in the day and it was more fun coop than it was by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The stupidest thing is that the console controls are demonstrably worse than the PC controls even with the same controller, although I think the latest patch made it at least a bit better. I have the game on both PC and Xbox and the steering on xbox is wonky as hell compared to PC, playing with an xbox one controller on both. On PC, it feels like Forza Horizon or so, although obviously with a large truck. I just mean that the steering starts going back to center fairly immediately. On xbox, it was taking like 10 seconds before it would start centering. Combined with the lack of any steering wheel indicator, it meant that if you tried to make a minor correction you were likely to fishtail like crazy and eventually smash a tree, fall off a cliff, roll over, etc unless you were going super super slow at all times, even on flat asphalt roads. You had to always be in an external view and watching your front wheels to see where they were pointed.

It seems less pronounced after the last patch, despite not being in the notes, but it's not quite the same. The camera on console (at least xbox) also goes flying around and is super hard to control or keep where you want it. On PC, it's fine, although there's a bit of room for improvement. It also runs heinously bad at 4K on a XB1X to the point where I set the console to only do 1080p. Honestly that might have been what improved the steering some, the FPS was in the 20's or lower sometimes it felt.

All that said, I've been playing coop on xbox with the wife and we've had a lot of fun. It's been buggy fun, we've lost some progress due to either crashing, desyncs, or that dumb bug where you recover to the garage and can't leave the garage or customize or buy anything or whatever without quitting back to the main menu and reloading.

By and large it's worth getting and worth doing coop. Just like that other poster said, be careful and try not to do things that are likely to trigger desyncs, and everyone just expect to have them sometimes and be OK with it. Aside from that, my only real complaint with the coop is that player 2 only gets money/XP progress, they don't unlock new vehicles they find or get upgrades they grab when they're back in their own game. I get if they don't want to mark missions complete, but not having your upgrades or new vehicles when you're back in your own game is kind of lousy. I'm not sure if she has them back when she re-joins my game, we'll have to check that more carefully next time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

^^ yeah, in most games when you drive with a controller it dampens your input for corrections because there's so little travel on a controller joystick that you're always going to overcorrect, whereas with a wheel that kind of overcorrection is generally not even physically possible. The original project cars was pretty much unplayable for the same reason, no idea if they fixed it in the second one.

I was more commenting on the bizarre mismatch between console and PC. I'm using a controller on both and it's fine on PC. It "reacts" like most other driving games, with FH4 being the most recent example. They still handle like a truck, but the steering makes sense and you can drive pretty well with it. On console, it's very different, as is camera. Same controller and settings for both. It's really frustrating on console, and I'm on that more than PC since my wife only has it on console and it's more fun to play together.

Kinda tempted to try my simucube 2 on 100% force feedback briefly and see if I immediately break my wrists.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

My CK1500 is becoming a proper Brodozer but I've found a nemesis, backing a trailer with a steerable front axle. Regular trailers are easy peasy but put a steering axle on them and I turn into a giant idiot.

There needs to be a "lock trailer steering" button because it's all but impossible to back those things up unless you jackknife that steerable thing into itself and sort of shove the trailer sideways.

How would you even do that in real life? Do they have a steering lock for backing them up? I'd think they have to because even trying to account for that with your own steering they have a tendency to auto-jackknife themselves even if on a flat surface and backing up completely straight.

Fake Edit: Guessing in real life you just don't ever back those up really

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

My kingdom for cross-platform co-op. Then I could play on the computer and not go mad with how bad it is on xbox and my wife can play on the xbox where she doesn't care as much.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The kahn scout from the season pass is a beast, it seems like nothing can stop it.

Nothing except pine tree branches hurling the truck upside down when you brush up against them

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

In the tire guide in the OP it lists "P16 Offroad" tires as being generally amazing. Are those the tires that come on the P16? The hummer's special tires it actually lists them in game as something special, the P16's offroad tires are just listed as one of the other types, although the listed specs in-game seem closer to what the tire guide says. Are they that tire, like a beefed-up one to make up for the P16 not having AWD? Is that thing any good anyways?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

The P16 being findable and those default tires having great mud stats means its the earliest mud tires you can get in the game. Who cares what the front wheels are doing, you are still moving in mud by virtue of having grip. That and the high deck means its your bail out buddy if anything gets stuck or you find a spot that swallows your Paystar up to the deck. Like a lot of Michigan river fords.

The customization is almost entirely missing to do anything mission related. You can do some of the high saddle stuff with it (even that struggles because its saddle is strangely high and can make it a problem to get it to actually hook up to anything) but as soon as you get some P12 off road or mud tires that'll be a better US heavy mission runner.

Yeah I have plenty of decent trucks at this point, I was more curious about it as a, well, curiosity. And the guide wasn't entirely clear is all since I expected the truck tire name to be more similar to the Hummer tires.

Right now my Tayga is my primary mission workhorse with the Kolob my primary heavy. I have the free Cat and I still keep the Fleetstar around too for odd jobs. Plus like 6 other trucks in the garage.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Oh man, I got the special Tayga mud tires last night and the Tayga is now an unstoppable beast. I love this truck. There is almost nothing it can't do at this point. Just drive around all the time in Low+ and it makes solid speed without getting too damaged from invisible rocks and the like, occasionally shift to a lower Low gear for really bad mud or tight maneuvering in rocky hills. If you're not in Russia with it, you can use the normal automatic more, it just takes a lot more damage from random invisible poo poo in Russia.

I still use a heavy for pulling bigger vehicles around but for almost any hauling or other mission, this thing can and will do it fine. I just wish the controls were better on Xbox :(

This is my favorite truck in the game now, easily.

Also got the TUZ :420: last night and that thing is pretty unstoppable too, although I have a hell of a time turning it sometimes and it struggles a bit in really narrow switchbacks that the hummer or the special edition mud truck do better.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

gently caress these loving stumps.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah honestly out of the "free because you found/fixed/etc somewhere in the world" trucks, I only have the Tayga, TUZ :420:, hummer, CAT (I don't know why, it kind of stinks), and Fleetstar left. I sold the Royal, both Westerns, GMC, Kodiak (rebought once I had enough upgrades to make it OK), Pacific, and I think everything else I've run into minus some sort of Offroad truck I got in Pedro Port that I haven't tried yet.

Best very-early-game through early-mid-game truck: Paystar
Best "after you've got locking diff, AWD, and slightly better tires" truck that complements the paystar: Fleetstar
Best mid-late game truck: Tayga (especially when you've got a couple upgrades for it)
Honorable Mention for above: Azoz (the one you can buy early on), Kolob (again the one you can buy early on), CAT CT680 (for highway hauling, it's solid, and its wheelies are cool)
Best Late-Game Truck: Whatever, you have anything you need at this point. I still love the Tayga.

The Fleetstar and Paystar will get you far enough even early on that you'll be in good shape. Scout the hummer is worth getting early in Alaska, and maybe the YAR87 for mud scouting. If you rush the Tayga with the Paystar and some maintenance stuff, that's a solid choice too although it takes some upgrades for the Tayga to really shine.

tl;dr for beginning of the game: Sell anything that isn't the Fleetstar and whatever your best scout is, find as many trucks as you can early on and sell them, and buy a Paystar to get you through the early struggle. Focus on opening road closures (bridges, rockfalls, etc) with your Paystar and Fleetstar and get upgrades/trucks with your scout to sell. Go to Russia and get the Tayga and a YAR87 if you're able to and you'll have a good Offroad and Mud Scout truck, and the Hummer is really good from Alaska as well especially when you get a better engine and a diff lock for it. Don't get attached to any of your trucks - feel free to constantly sell and rebuy them as needed for whatever job you're doing.

That tl;dr got :words: sorry

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

:holymoley: that Derry 4520. One of the final Russia Missions is to take a Drill (5x singular cargo size) from the starting point in Drowned Lands to oil field in Zimnegorsk. Normally, I use the Kolob for stuff like that, but it can't fit a low saddle for the 5x trailer and the ramped towable trailer scares me.

No problem at all. 8 wheels and REAR WHEEL STEERING! It's about the size of a train locomotive and just as unstoppable.

On the other hand, the free Derry that you pull out of Alaska, that thing is the most useless truck in the game. It's AWD but it's a bazillion feet long, has an awful turning radius, no diff lock, and is underpowered. It mires in anything and constantly ends up in situations where you can't go forward because some of the drive wheels are off the ground or in really deep mud and spinning while the wheels that would have traction sit still, but there's no diff lock to address that. I tried 4-5 missions with it to find a reason to like that truck and it was absolute poo poo in every situation I tried it in with the exception of something that only involved highway driving with a semi trailer, and anything could have done that. Sold it, bought the CAT CT680 and never looked back. The only "flaw" that thing has for that role is occasionally doing sick wheelies.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

Weird, I found it to be surprisingly good for island lake at least. Goes fast as hell and doesn't get stuck. Only problem is it doesn't really turn

Maybe it's OK there. It's completely useless in any amount of mud due to the lack of diff lock.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I know that I've been playing this game too much when I start noticing big trucks on the road and am like "yeah buddy, I can dig it." when before they may as well have not have existed.

My wife and I started crabbing that the neighbors were playing Snowrunner without inviting us when we looked out the window and saw a bunch of farm vehicles doing farm stuff in the field behind our house.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

Tayga don't care.

4x cargo on a trailer + a recovery trailer that flipped over on the trail. Didn't seem to slow it down much.

The only thing that stops the tayga with its special tires are those goddamn stumps.

And the occasional swamps that block you from steering that stop everything except a winch, but we won't count those.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

From Smithville Dam, there are 2 decent routes to Island Lake, depending what you're doing.

With something that isn't huge, you can go through the west path of the rightmost "peninsula" just south of the garage. That path isn't too bad at all, and when you get to the end of it, it's two turns to get to Island Lake. There's one or two somewhat narrow odd rock sections but they aren't too bad to go through if you go slow and a Tayga with a normal-size trailer (or anything about that size) can get through them fine. Anything with a semi trailer can do it but it's often gonna take winch fiddling to get through. Still doable though. It clears up and is a fine route with a bit of mud but plenty of trees to winch from if needed after the aforementioned rocks bends. Getting across the river just before those I haven't found to be too much of a problem, but if you get stuck, it's close enough to the garage that it's easy to get a helper truck to pull you over it.

The second route is to take the main road south across the dam and turn east after the dam to take the road that goes across the big swamp. Larger vehicles handle this better than the other route, but if you don't have great mud ability you may need something that does to help pull across the aforementioned swamp, or just be good with the winch. It's not all that bad unless you're early in the game and still only have lousy tire options.

The eastern path that goes down the road past the gas station and looks like the best route is a trap because the terrain turns absolutely nasty shortly and nigh-impassible in a couple of spots, or at least really easy to tip on, and there's no great way across the river there. I would leave that path alone except when you need it specifically for a mission.

You could also go through Drummond Island, but there's a gross mess of a swamp right near the tunnel to Island Lake that is easy to accidentally tip in I've found and it's not my recommended route. On that note, though, Drummond Island is a bit easier of a "My First No-Garage Location" because of the easiness of taking the highway from Smithville Dam right into Drummond Island. Just takes a bit of time since it's winding but is not difficult anywhere.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 27, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah, the bridge to the Fuel Station from the Island Lake side of Drummond island is only repairable from the Island Lake side. The other two(?) bridges are repairable from both sides.

Yeah but you can go around on some paths, they weren't even that bad if I recall. I repaired that bridge without ever going to Island Lake. I am 100% sure Drummond Island is not locked behind Island Lake.

As far as fuel goes, if you aren't able to get to that bridge, there's a convenient trailer store just inside Smithville Dam from Drummond Island so you can grab a fuel trailer (or 3!) and place them around Drummond Island where you want them, same goes for repair trailers.

zedprime posted:

There is a ford from the Drummond north landmass to the south landmass until you build the bridge that needs built at the south landmass only. I wouldn't run cargo through it necessarily but it exists. You can see the shallows on the map, there ins't really a road so much as a clearing but when should that stop you.

Yeah, that ford is how you get there. There's a steep hill on one side so it helps to have a scout over there to pull yourself up if you don't have good tires but it's not necessary a lot of the time. (edit: It does have a road on both sides, it's just not well marked on the map. The ford itself isn't too bad, but the steep hill on the south side can be some trouble)

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 27, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

what's the best strat for finding parts early on.. just wander the map. I know where one set is in a river in alaska I'm not going to reach for a bit, I'm back in MI cleaning up some missions and makin some cash. I'll read the start of the thread for gooder ideas on not sucking.

Pretty much - get a scout that can handle mud (the YAR87 I think can be bought early in Russia and does OK in mud) and explore all the maps as best as you can. Some of the best parts are locked behind a chain of missions in Russia, but all the others are accessible right in the beginning of the game.

https://maprunner.info is really useful if you want a map to find things rather than searching for yourself, as there are a number of hidden parts (i.e. not revealed by a tower)

There's a handful of parts that really help early on, mainly diff locks and lift kits and better engines for some of the early/free trucks.

It's still not a poor idea to rush the Tayga, but I'll admit that it's worse without any upgrades or good tires than I thought.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Phobeste posted:

I used the fleet star for essentially all of michigan, it rules. The key is having awd which a lot of heavier trucks don’t, and it’s nice and small but still powerful enough to drag construction trailers around (which in hindsight I regret, I used the p16 for the second one). You can also use it as a glorified scout

The fleetstar is shockingly good once you have AWD with diff lock and get some decent tires. It's a truck that is valuable for the entire game.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wrr posted:

Another tip which may or may not be obvious, but you can teleport to any owned vehicle (or the garage) at will from the map screen without recovering the currently driven vehicle. Took me a bit longer than I'd like to admit to figure this one out.

Related to that, if you are towing one of your vehicles because it's stuck, you can be in either the towing car or the car being towed and the AI will do its best to help by controlling the other car. In my experience, it's usually better to control the car being towed because you can jog the front tires to help get traction and the AI won't do that. Sometimes I switch between them, and if I have a good winch, I'll do the "go ahead with the tow vehicle, hold brakes, hook up, and winch the rear car forward" cycle that sometimes works better than standard towing.

I didn't realize that you could be in the car being towed and have the lead car get controlled by the AI to help pull it, it works pretty well.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Phobeste posted:

I used the fleet star for essentially all of michigan, it rules. The key is having awd which a lot of heavier trucks don’t, and it’s nice and small but still powerful enough to drag construction trailers around (which in hindsight I regret, I used the p16 for the second one). You can also use it as a glorified scout

Your comment about the P16 being useful for construction trailers was enlightening. My wife and I had struggled mightily on Xbox with that thing in Michigan, getting it stuck a lot when it would bottom out and wedge (although apparently there was a bug with that which got patched). Instead for my PC game I grabbed the P16 and took it around the north through the mud that I usually avoid and since it was both lifted so high and those ridiculous mud tires, I made it with absolutely no incident whatsoever. I'm probably gonna keep using it for gargantuan trailers, that lift that it gives them is really helpful.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Hemish posted:

:stare: :aaa:

:aaaaa:

Jesus I'm the worst at this game. I've been playing games all my life so I don't understand how I can miss everything about this one game. Those 2 are just the latest of game changers for me. I'm 20 hours in. I'm so dumb.

In fairness, this game is a buggy poorly documented mess that happens to be really fun and gorgeous and amazing when it works.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Been watching some guys in discord play this. Seems super chill and since they're non goons I've been reporting back to them tips and strats from this thread. I couldn't imagine playing it though as the physics/driving model looks hella aggravating.

The one thing they fight over, which is better first person or third person camera? As a viewer first person is kind of nauseating and your guy steers like he's on meth.

If I was going to use my wheel, it'd be first person, except yeah it's monumentally bouncy and the driver's hands are incredibly distracting. They're always crossed over in certain trucks and look like they get tied up like a pretzel from time to time. I think the game plays better in 3rd person though just because it's hard to have a good sense of spatial awareness. The only times I use first person is when trying to navigate between trees in a forest because it's easier.

The camera in this game is lousy, and it doesn't help that it's really broken on console, especially with certain trailers.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Is there any reason not to sell the starter GMC? The fleetstar is so much better in every single way into

There is no reason not to sell every single vehicle. You get all the money back and can re-buy the vehicle whenever you want without taking a loss.

This can be useful when you really need a heavy vehicle but don't have money - just sell a handful of things you don't need for the moment, get a heavy, do the thing, sell it back, and buy everything back.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

So I'm almost totally done with the campaigns in the game, my only gripes are 1) what the hell is the point of ramped trailers if you can't put other vehicles on them and 2) why do you have to get to drat near 100% completion to be a high enough level to unlock all the trucks

also 3) "Truck not available in Russia/USA" <-- this is stupid

1) is supposedly fixed in test and a patch soon(tm) will fix it.

2) sense of progression, I guess? It's a lot quicker than that if you do any co-op though. I'm level 19 and still have a ludicrous number of missions and contracts in both my solo game and the game with my wife.

3) Monumentally stupid. It's a "oh crap better teleport to russia quick and buy this truck" time waste in single player and in co-op you just can't do it at all so you need to end co-op and go buy the truck and then do coop again. It's artificial nonsense. If there were some sort of barrier beyond "in the region" and you had to maybe do some missions to open the factory that makes the trucks, it'd be somewhat sensible, but as it is there's no reason for it other than annoyance.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wallrod posted:

wait, you can....?

i just went and tried it and what the gently caress :psyduck: i have to assume that's an oversight since it's a kind of round-about path, but loving wtf

It's pretty dumb since you can just teleport, buy the truck, and then gently caress back off. It's just a time waste.

I get the idea of "keep the trucks in the country they're from" that was mentioned, especially because the early Russian trucks tend to be better than the American ones in every way, but since that's not codified in the game and you can take trucks wherever, they should just get rid of the silly nuisance.

I've taken to trying out different trucks for different things. For a short bit I was using the Tayga for nearly everything since there's nothing it can't do (except a crane and a flatbed) job-wise once you get it upgraded, but I've gone back to the fleetstar quite a lot lately, used the CT680 a lot lately, and otherwise just tried all sorts of trucks. There's some that I can't find a good way to use, like the free Derry Longhorn or any of the "highway" trucks, but by and large once you get around level 13 you can use almost any truck for any job and it's fun to try them out.

As a short aside, the Azov 64131 that you can buy right off the bat the moment you set foot in Russia is so crazy good with fuel usage. It has a huge gas tank and in normal usage it seems to drain slower than anything else. It's awesome for long-haul and just suffers from not being able to have a crane + flatbed + trailer and it's also pretty slow and slightly underpowered with the starter engine, but even the best engine for it doesn't seem to affect gas mileage too bad. I suppose it's not great at turning either and you have to do a lot of 12 point turns with it due to the double steer front.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 1, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

stump posted:

Only issue is: I like the Paypig, but it can be a bit tippy, and the sideboard sticks out a bit far and catches trailers. Is there anything good that can do that config and drive nicely with a trailer? I’m happy to travel for it.

What config do you mean? As far as off-road trucks, the paystar is an excellent early-game truck, but it's overshadowed by a number of other trucks as the game goes on. It doesn't have enough engine upgrades (any, I think) and it is (as you found) quite tippy. Most of the better trucks don't unlock until later, especially ones that can do "crane + bed + trailer" that aren't the fleetstar, but the Azov 64whatever and the Tayga from Russia become better early-mid game offroad trucks than the Paystar if you don't need that combo. So it really depends what config you mean, exactly.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

That's a good point. While there objectively better trucks, you can make almost any truck work so long as it has decent tires. By level 13 you'll have all those unlocked and then anything works for the most part. Some will generally suck no matter what unless you're never in mud or snow with them, and some are really niche like the twinsteer that is great foe a couple things but useless for anything else, but generally speaking any truck can eventually do any job so long as it has upgrades.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Anything not involving really tight switchbacks between rocks, maybe. There are a fair few roads that are physically impossible for that truck. Occasionally weird mixed surfaces are a surprising amount of trouble due to lack of AWD, but it's less of a problem than I expected.

I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING the Azov 7whatever. It's got amazing power and gas efficiency in real usage (the stats don't look as good as it is) and the rear axle turns so it has a ludicrously small turn radius. It's like they took the amazing Azov 6whatever and made every part of it better and kept the efficiency. It's only flaw is the nose getting slightly stuck in really bumpy terrain but I've yet to find a situation I couldn't power through or winch through quickly. It's my current favorite.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Only thing I wish you could do is set map markers and have a minimap. Like I found an upgrade that I ddin't want to dig for at that moment with a trailer and loaded truck but now I don't know where it is.. (Do these pop up on map?)

Yes. Towers make the majority visible on the map, the "hidden" ones show up when you get close, but honestly 90% of the time if you're close enough for that you have only 3 meters to be in the square to get them.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I decided to try the twinsteer again after the most recent conversation about it and I can say that upgraded with the biggest chain tires, it's actually really really good for a lot of the Alaska missions. I could see it being not bad in Michigan too. I had initially tried it mostly in Russia and it's just not good at all there.

But with chains on, it's a really good truck for a lot of the Alaska contracts. It'd be fun in co-op too as a carry truck for stuff that someone else cranes onto you. I definitely like it a lot more than I did.

Trucks I'm still struggling to find a reason to ever use:
  • Derry Longhorn 3194 - It is just awful and with no diff lock it can't handle any mud anywhere. Maybe OK for some highway driving, I guess, but this truck is the biggest disappointment in the game after all the work I went through to get it.
  • Azov 5319 - the fuel tank is too small and it DEVOURS fuel. It's faster and can haul a bit better than the Azov 64131 that you can unlock way earlier, but worse otherwise, and the Azov 73210 is like the best of both worlds and it doesn't unlock that long after the 5319. The 5319 is solid for some short hauls I suppose, as it isn't terrible, it just has awful fuel consumption and capacity.
  • Step 310 - It's just not remarkable in any way. It's fine, but it's just not better than anything else at anything.
  • Any of the highway trucks. I know you can make them work, but why?
  • Most of the scouts - the Hummer and Tuz :420: are so much better than anything else, so anything else you used was probably just earlier before you got one of these. The Tuz 166 gets special mention for being hilarious once it's upgraded, plus it can actually tow a trailer unlike the :420: or the special edition jeep. The YAR87 is also solid from the beginning and it can actually fit a trailer as well.
  • Cat 745C - it's free, I guess, but the lack of customizability and the weird handling make this thing situational at best, and it's usually outdone by a Kolob or anything else really
  • Royal BM-17 - also free, I guess, but just not really as good as I expected it to be and outclassed by pretty much anything else in its category.
  • ANK MK38 - I hesitate listing this because it's actually really good right when you first get it if you start running missions with it immediately after finding it with a scout vehicle, and it has a bitchin' camo bed. The lack of customizability hampers it beyond that, but it's a decent little truck right away. Just not a lot of call to use it afterwards, it's pretty awful on fuel too.
  • The Kodiak and the GMC - They're kind of fun, actually, but they're not really any good. I hesitate to list these here as well because they're kind of fun even if outclassed.
  • Pacific P12 - it's weird with trailers, and the P16 is free and actually seems to do really well at helping pull things through mud or even better hauling those enormous construction trailers and the like, where it lifts them high off the ground so they don't bottom out as badly. The P12 just seems like a lesser version despite its AWD, although it has a decent role as a roving fueler I suppose. Just not anything I pick for hauling cargo around, really. Those P16 tires are just too good.

Most other things I enjoy using, I think. The most OP truck is the Tayga which is really only hampered by not even being able to have a crane and a flatbed much less both + trailer. It's unstoppable otherwise. Fleetstar wins overall best truck due to getting it early and being able to consistently upgrade it to stay relevant. It's still relevant and useful at the endgame, I'd say.

I'll say that most of the trucks I listed are plenty usable, just outclassed generally by the time that you get them. The Paystar avoided that list because of its early game utility, it just can't keep up as time goes on due to being stuck with its underpowered engine and being really tippy.

My current "favorite" truck is the Azov 73210 because it's powerful, excellent turn radius due to the rear axle, and it can do crane + bed + trailer. It really only has trouble in awful mud and really bumpy terrain that the nose gets jittery or stuck on.

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 3, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

Those really large Heavy Duty trucks like the P16 and the Derry 4520 (the 2nd one) aren't really very useful EXCEPT in the capstone missions where you haul the really big drill rigs and stuff around. The first attempt at the one on North Port Alaska, I tried using a normal Offroad truck and it was awful to the point where I really started to doubt it was possible. The small trucks could pull fine, but their own weight was an issue and the trailer could tip them over.

Then I just hooked up the Kolob and drove it out on the first try.

The Derry with chain tires was amazing on the other Alaska maps due to the rear-wheel steering. It just eliminates problems.

RE: Derry 4520 - Yeah I'm looking forward to it, I'm level 21 at the moment. I just wish the first Derry wasn't such a piece of trash since you have to go through a big rigamarole to recover it. I wanted a better reward. The P16 is definitely excellent for hauling those enormous trailers. It lifting them a lot higher off the ground helps so so much with bumps where they'd normally bottom out and get stuck.

Rear Wheel Steering is amazing - is it on anything besides the Azov 73210 and the Derry 4520? I guess arguably the CAT 745C but that thing doesn't count.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

That's actually reminiscent of my last trip to the UP, I don't see the problem.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Looks like patch 5.0 might be released June 9th as per an announcement on the Focus forums.

Multiple save slots for console, hurray. If cargo and trailers work correctly this could make for a fun self-imposed "hard mode" run.

You linked the wrong thread: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/50351/patch-5-0-release-date-announcement

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

YASS mirrors that freekin work instead of tree pictures! :oh wait.. console only

Supposedly they already worked on PC? I seem to think they did whenever I used cockpit view on PC but I've mostly been playing on Xbox and mostly been external view so I dunno. But I do think they already worked on PC and just not on console.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Xaris posted:

Also is there any mods that make it so I dont have to constantly 'Retain' each vehicle everytiime I want to move around between Garages? I would rather just have a pool of vehicles I can pick out anytime instead of going "ah gently caress i left that vehicle in north port garage".

Just get in the habit of storing them the moment you bring them back into a garage and then pull them out as you need them. What you're basically describing is just a mod that automatically presses "X" or whatever button/key on your platform.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Xaris posted:

You can see the speedometer in first-person but not third-person, unless I'm missing something, and like I said, I find driving in 3rd person more chill unless I'm going through trees. Even then I find the steering wheel makes it hard to read the dash speedometer in first-person--that may be a FOV issue. It would be nice just to have a compass/speedometer over the fuel consumption on the bottom-right that's visible in 3rd person.

yeah thats fair, probably what I need to do more dilligently. i just sometimes forget and go, KHAN WHERE ARE YOU??? and then have to hop around between loading screens to pull it out.

I got in the habit due to largely playing co-op with my wife and wanting to make sure my trucks would be available whenever I did that, but it's honestly a decent habit to be in anyways. It really does bring up how silly the whole "YOU CAN'T BUY THIS TRUCK IN THIS COUNTRY" nonsense is, though, since it takes all of a couple minutes tops to travel to the other country, buy the truck, store it, and gently caress back off.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I've been playing on geforce now and maybe it's not enabled by default or an old version because I def don't have mirrors it's just static trees on the mirrors in 1st person.

I checked and there's a video setting for mirrors. It probably starts disabled. Look for that I suppose.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sipher posted:

I backed up my save and started a new one, after completing Michigan and probably 60% of Alaska and Russia. Michigan in struggle trucks just has some magic that the other two maps are missing. A better UI would help the later game for me, figuring out what materials I need for a couple of missions and hauling a convoy all at once. Right now that's just too tedious.

That's actually my biggest complaint that I don't know how they would address easily, namely trying to chain missions in a sensible way. It's doable manually but there's a lot of figuring things out and it's somewhat frustrating when you realize you could have gotten 2 missions done in the process of getting another one done. I guess some sort of job queue system?

It would also help if the map was more clear about what resources came from which buildings. You can arrow over a resource in the job description and it'll move the map to a source, and you'll see sources of all the resources needed for the stage of the mission, but it isn't clear which ones are which and I inevitably end up using https://maprunner.info to see what's available where.

Also some consistency in which Service buildings actually repair your truck would be nice. I think "Service Hub" always does, but the other ones usually don't except I think sometimes they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sipher posted:

That map is helpful, thanks!

Does the game ever tell you about double tapping the clutch (LB on xbox controller) to get the truck into a more appropriate gear? I learned that from a post here and it's made a world of difference, no more shifting up to 5 and then down to 1 over and over.

I got the Paystar early this game instead of suffering through with an un upgraded Fleetstar. Much easier, even if it is a tippy boi.

A single tap works just as well, doesn't need to be a double tap. It basically just forces the gearbox to reconsider the gear and go into what it considers the "best" and it changes gears a lot quicker than the automatic gearing does, especially when downshifting. If you're in weird terrain then Low+ on the Offroad/Advanced is even better because it never shifts so you won't have that annoyance that you get when the transmission can't decide a gear.

Paystar is a great truck for the beginning. Try traveling to Russia and grab the Azov 64131 at some point too, it's different but arguably better in some ways than the Paystar.