Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons

Grimey Drawer

So instead of investing a pile of money I had, or doing something smart with it. I decided to buy a SCAR 20s. Because who doesn't like FN' boxy guns.

Of course, much like any hobby, the drat thing didn't even come with iron sights. So I had get a scope, which required a mount, which then I cant see up close through the scope, so I added an offset reddot, but the then I cant hold it good, so I added all sorts of other whizbang contraptions. I dont think it counts as tacticalol yet. No plans to add on anything else.

Ranges are all closed so took it to the nearest gravel pit. Rolled up with a friend of mine bright and early at 10 am. There was an dad shooting with his son who said he didn't mind if we shared the pit.
We then proceeded to unload enough small arms to take over Venezuela. (Or at least according to silvercorp. No airsoft guns at least). So then they left.

So anyways, I started blasting, and oh boy is this thing fun.

Its a 308, so theres a bit of a kick, but nothing major. Offset is super easy to use. Pretty accurate, as far as I can tell. I didnt have good targets, but pretty much dead on accurate within ~100 yards.

The only downside is that this thing is HEAVY. Its about 14 pounds with a mag loaded in it. So no patrolling with this thing.

Next up is to wait for this whole virus thing to blow over, so I can take it out to a range with 600 yards.

I also learned that shooting into the sun sucks and I need a sunshade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Excellent thread title; knew it'd be a SCAR.

Saint Celestine posted:

Of course, much like any hobby, the drat thing didn't even come with iron sights.
If that ain't the truth! My last guitar didn't come with iron sights, either.

Congrats on your new gun, and thanks for the beautiful photos!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thatís a pretty gun. Canít wait to see what long range groups look like.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Nice rifle! Want to hear how it works out for you, especially if you get to hit the 600 yard range.

Need to work a little more on your photoshop though. You missed some spots.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons

Grimey Drawer

Parts Kit posted:

Nice rifle! Want to hear how it works out for you, especially if you get to hit the 600 yard range.

Need to work a little more on your photoshop though. You missed some spots.

Thanks.

Thinking of signing up for a DM course. https://www.snipercentral.com/desig...arksman-school/

Rifle definitely up to par, not sure about my skills.

That's google's portrait mode AI. Probably why they're adding more lenses to achieve DOF instead of trying to do it via algorithms.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Beautiful photos and nice gun! Here's my 50s shades smaller version of yours:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Word of warning if you own suppressors. The flash hider that ships on the SCAR 20 is put on by godzilla at the factory. You'll need to clamp the barrel extension in a vise using aluminum blocks, heat it, and use a big loving breaker bar to get it loose. Mine didn't have any thread locker, and I haven't seen reports of any on others.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Can confirm.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I feel like I've been lied to. I only see 6 shades, at most.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

There are four shades.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

1. Upper
2. Lower
3. Magazine body and stock body
4. Rest of the stock
5. Magpul stuff
6. Scope mount
7. Magazine floorplate