Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Whatever promotion we end up it's time to give The Gobbledy Gooker the strap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You friends have fun with this. If I mess around with TEW anytime soon it'll be 2020 on my own time.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

edit: gently caress it was Hector!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Booking modern WWE in TEW, even separating out NXT as a separate promotion, is way too much work for even a committee to put themselves through, so I'm all for the idea put forward earlier of dismantling WWE and letting a bunch of smaller companies booked by goons vie for the remains, perhaps with a mini draft of 5 former WWE people per company to start off with. Sticking to modern talent has the benefit of not having to spend a long time reviving talent and adjusting their birthdays so you don't have a bunch of guys immediately die due to being suddenly alive and 90 years old.

As for companies, sticking to companies with one major weekly tv show and maybe a b-show allows regular progress without one company having to spend most of the game waiting for their one event a month. Depending on how many people are running each company, AEW, Impact, ROH, and MLW seems like a decent spread of different companies that can all coexist but still compete with each other, though you may want to compensate for AEW's greater size by making them ineligible for the draft or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I Before E posted:

Booking modern WWE in TEW, even separating out NXT as a separate promotion, is way too much work for even a committee to put themselves through, so I'm all for the idea put forward earlier of dismantling WWE and letting a bunch of smaller companies booked by goons vie for the remains, perhaps with a mini draft of 5 former WWE people per company to start off with. Sticking to modern talent has the benefit of not having to spend a long time reviving talent and adjusting their birthdays so you don't have a bunch of guys immediately die due to being suddenly alive and 90 years old.

I like this idea but would suggest the draft be six round because 1: I like the concept of The Smackdown Six (and use it a lot in anything like this) and 2: If we do a snake draft (I assume we would) then it keeps it even

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
OP you can put me in the "yes" category I will absolutely not make the worst decisions for my team, thanks

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If going the route of multiple promotions and a snake draft, maybe we should establish what championships/rosters those have beforehand and let people draft the actual promotions too. 2-3 championships per promotion would sound fine, and not every promotion needs a Tag Team/Women's Division/Secondary title for the sake of having them.

TNA could for example, have the World Champion, Knockout's Champion, and X-Division Champion
ROH could have the World Champion, the Television title, and the Tag Team titles

This would cut back on someone getting too shafted and being stuck with a fairly lackluster division because they wanted to get certain stars for a faction/story and then they're stuck with a women's division that only has 3 people in it or feeling obligated to book a tag-team division you don't really want anything to do with.

If there's only two promotions fighting over Tag-Teams, both promotions can end up getting some pretty stacked rosters, and if there's 3 promotions competing over women then everyone's got a pretty decent roster to build around, rather than the top 6 women being gone one round and you're trying to figure out who you can pair Io Shirai and Session Moth with because you went after Daniel Bryan, Sammi Zayn, and Cesaro first.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I’ll be watching this. Don’t have the time to join a team with the Wrestling Spirit 3 thread I’m running but I’m always interested to see how these team booking games play out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RealFoxy posted:

If going the route of multiple promotions and a snake draft, maybe we should establish what championships/rosters those have beforehand and let people draft the actual promotions too. 2-3 championships per promotion would sound fine, and not every promotion needs a Tag Team/Women's Division/Secondary title for the sake of having them.

I think it should be up to the promotions themselves to decide what championships they do and don't want. You know how much TV time you have, it's up to you to figure the rest out.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it should be up to the promotions themselves to decide what championships they do and don't want. You know how much TV time you have, it's up to you to figure the rest out.

This is exactly how I'm gonna do things. You guys are 100% gonna get to decide. I'm super excited to see what you all do.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

OP you can put me in the "yes" category I will absolutely not make the worst decisions for my team, thanks

I'm glad you decided to join. Good to have you aboard. :hfive:

I updated the OP a little bit also!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I have a ton of Russo-esque ideas to do outside of normal tournaments to crown new champions and a couple things from the old game I really wanted to do but never had time to finish, so I'm down to join as big of a team as we need and I'll just give you all my crazy ideas, to be filtered out through someone hopefully more organized and willing to write out the show.

Promotion doesn't matter to me, but I know I want a women's division and a television title.

Some general house-keeping if we're planning on drafting to existing rosters, would it be better after we pick our promotions to keep 15-20 existing members on the roster then release the rest into the pool for some added variety? Like I don't see many people picking ROH or Impact and really desperate to keep Matt Taven or Michael Elgin

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Some general house-keeping if we're planning on drafting to existing rosters, would it be better after we pick our promotions to keep 15-20 existing members on the roster then release the rest into the pool for some added variety? Like I don't see many people picking ROH or Impact and really desperate to keep Matt Taven or Michael Elgin

I was sort of assuming a company would be stuck with the roster they have at first, but a database level clearing out/restructuring phase before the game actually starts just to be sure each team knows the roster they have and the time they're expected to fill with it would be nice, and it gives an excuse to get rid of people like your Michaels Elgin.

Also if we're letting all those people out into the wild, I expect regular dirtsheet updates about King Corbin's run in NOAH or whatever else the AI gives us.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oh also you mentioned voting, Google Forms is my go to for things like that, it allows for a lot of variation in what the questions you're asking are and how you visualize the results. If you're just going for yes/no stuff, it does that, but if you're going for open ended stuff like "what was your favorite thing any promotion did in this span of time" it lets you look through the results of that and use the data as you like.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Who is the big kahuna around here? of the wrestling decisions. I want to talk To them about putting a unique gimmick onto a charismatic wrestler who Shows a lot of promise and poise in the ring. here is a quick mockup

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cavauro posted:

Who is the big kahuna around here? of the wrestling decisions. I want to talk To them about putting a unique gimmick onto a charismatic wrestler who Shows a lot of promise and poise in the ring. here is a quick mockup

No cop gimmicks!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

If there is a spot still open, I'd like to join a booking committee

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah same, ill join any team

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

So I decided to check if I still had the booking sheet for WWF in the old Monday Night Wars game, and I do, so I made a public copy mainly to use as a reference for how our team organized our notes, proposed ideas to each other, and communicated our booking and management intentions with Happyman. I don't expect any of the teams to use all these organisational and structural ideas, but it's still interesting to examine. plus it has all our plans for after Mania 13, including the Metal Gear Solid gimmick PPV.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I'd be up for doing a lucha promotion. Maybe merge CMLL and AAA if it's easier?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pinche Rudo posted:

I'd be up for doing a lucha promotion. Maybe merge CMLL and AAA if it's easier?

If Hiram is standardizing all the promotions' tv output so as to make sure no company has to write double the hours of TV as everyone else, choosing one lucha company is probably easier than trying to merge two rosters together.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 16, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If it's a Lucha promotion and you want someone on the other roster, just put a guy inside of the gimmick anyway and claim you owned it from the start.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Are sign ups still available? I'd be interested in joining up, enjoyed the last TEW team game.

IcePhoenix posted:

I will do the same thing I did in the last two games where I herd the rest of the cats in the writers room into not offering a billion contracts to all their favorites and then end up with a mess of a show because we have too many people

I'm still bitter you didn't let me book Scott Steiner vs. Yokozuna :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 17, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm tempted to do a write up for Chuck Taylor Promotions (TEW Symbol: CTW) as a pitch unless promotions are mostly being kept normal.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 17, 2020

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Are sign ups still available? I'd be interested in joining up, enjoyed the last TEW team game.

Absolutely. I added you to the list. Sign ups are open until monday. Let people know!

Also, as far as promotions go--like I was saying I want you guys to have a say as to what you do. The only problem I'd see with creating your own promotion is that you'd have no standard roster. You'd be scrambling from the start to sign guys after the initial draft. Unless someone has an idea how we could keep that from happening. I'm up for your suggestions.

Cavauro posted:

I'm really tempted, Cavauro, my buddy. I'm seriously seriously tempted.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if anyone seems to be struggling in the wrestling business, but is just too good to let go of, there will always be 'the champion pig' gimmick waiting in the wings.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hiram posted:

Also, as far as promotions go--like I was saying I want you guys to have a say as to what you do. The only problem I'd see with creating your own promotion is that you'd have no standard roster. You'd be scrambling from the start to sign guys after the initial draft. Unless someone has an idea how we could keep that from happening. I'm up for your suggestions.

I don't want to make this thread oops! all drafts! But an expansion draft might help if we're dealing with multiple new promotions, to get them enough free agents to start with that they're not immediately underwater

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

I'd like to give this a shot, it sounds like fun!

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

I Before E posted:

I don't want to make this thread oops! all drafts! But an expansion draft might help if we're dealing with multiple new promotions, to get them enough free agents to start with that they're not immediately underwater

I would be okay with this. I suppose when it comes time for teams to pick promotions we will go that route if any team decides they'd rather start from scratch.

here comes the spunk posted:

I'd like to give this a shot, it sounds like fun!

Your name has been added! Glad to have you!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hiram posted:

I would be okay with this. I suppose when it comes time for teams to pick promotions we will go that route if any team decides they'd rather start from scratch.

So my thought on this is that it would go 6-slot Former WWE Stars Draft for all promotions > clearing period for all promotions where they look over who they have, what titles they have, and what product they're expected to deliver (this would be where each promotion gets to decide their promotion options like whether intergender is allowed and whether they have a strict face heel dynamic), and release people as needed > Released Talent/Free Agents draft for any new promotions until they hit their talent minimum (I think the minimum for Cult promotions is 26 or so) > the game proper. Obviously that's a lot, but that's how I've been visualizing it.

As for announcers, I doubt most of WWE's announce teams will be high value but allowing each team an announcer slot in the draft might be nice for any team that wants a Nigel or Renee Young on their desk.

E: a good way to prevent a draft from becoming a slog is to have each team submit a draft board of preferred talent, so if you can't get in touch with a particular team you can auto draft the first unclaimed talent on their board

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I Before E posted:

E: a good way to prevent a draft from becoming a slog is to have each team submit a draft board of preferred talent, so if you can't get in touch with a particular team you can auto draft the first unclaimed talent on their board

or just institute a time limit on a pick and if you run out of time you're skipped and can pick when you're able

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Do you know what database you're using yet?

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Do you know what database you're using yet?

Yes! I actually found a great database that is updated up to June 2019 with over 5,000 workers and from what I've seen so far it looks to be about 50 really fleshed out companies.

I Before E posted:

So my thought on this is that it would go 6-slot Former WWE Stars Draft for all promotions > clearing period for all promotions where they look over who they have, what titles they have, and what product they're expected to deliver (this would be where each promotion gets to decide their promotion options like whether intergender is allowed and whether they have a strict face heel dynamic), and release people as needed > Released Talent/Free Agents draft for any new promotions until they hit their talent minimum (I think the minimum for Cult promotions is 26 or so) > the game proper. Obviously that's a lot, but that's how I've been visualizing it.

As for announcers, I doubt most of WWE's announce teams will be high value but allowing each team an announcer slot in the draft might be nice for any team that wants a Nigel or Renee Young on their desk.

This is a solid plan. You are a tremendous help--thank you.

IcePhoenix posted:

or just institute a time limit on a pick and if you run out of time you're skipped and can pick when you're able

I agree with this as well! Thank you. I think some sort of time limit should be put in place. Then we skip said team until they are able to make a decision.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The hour limit makes sense, assuming the draft is being done all at once, but the draft list has the benefit of not penalising teams where all the representatives are unable to respond due to real life stuff by kicking all their picks to the end of the draft while still keeping things moving.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hiram posted:

Yes! I actually found a great database that is updated up to June 2019 with over 5,000 workers and from what I've seen so far it looks to be about 50 really fleshed out companies.

June 2019, eh...

____

WWE is only a couple of months removed from the success of Wrestlemania 35, where Kofimania Ran Wild, Seth Rollins became The Beastslayer, and Becky Twobelts was crowned through her slightly-botched main event victory over Charlotte Flair AND Ronda Rousey. Since that event they have struggled to capitalize on their momentum - Lacey Evan's push is dying on the vine as they try to make her seem like a threat to Becky, Becky has already lost her second belt to Charlotte who then lost it to Bayley, Baron Corbin's feud with Seth Rollins is a ratings disaster despite the efforts to push Seth and Becky together as Wrestling's ultimate Power Couple, and Kevin Owen's feud with Kofi is derailed by a great big elephant in the room: the upcoming Super Showdown event in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Talent are bitterly divided on wanting to participate in this event after the murder of US Journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents. John Cena and Daniel Bryan refuse to be involved, WWE management pitches the country's first ever women's match and is shot down (a very bad look so soon after their loud self-congratulations on letting women main event Wrestlemania), Aliester Black is denied the chance to participate because of the religious symbolism of his tattoo's, Sami Zayn refuses to be involved because during a prior show he was banned by the Saudi government due to his Syrian heritage, and Kevin Owens refuses in solidarity with his friend, demanding a rapid rewrite of the WWE title feud. The entire card is put into dramatic flux because of this event when it was hardly stable beforehand, and on top of all this the main event match of Goldberg vs The Undertaker would be a disaster in which both men's lives seemed to be at serious risk during certain moves to their ages and physical condition. This event would later be voted Worst Wrestling Event of 2019, and its sudden rewrites and general bad buzz would reverberate into the incredibly milquetoast Stomping Grounds PPV a few weeks later, leaving this to be one of WWE's worst months of content in many years.

If some kind of disaster WERE to strike the company, there would never be a worse time than right now...

___

While WWE is coming apart at the seams, its developmental brand NXT is reaching an in-ring zenith, but there are worrying signs on the fringes. While the final climax of the lengthy DIY Breakup Storyline was sadly curtailed by Tomasso Ciampa's need for neck surgery, the substitute feud of NXT Champion Johnny Gargano vs Adam Cole is running red hot on the sheer level of in-ring talent. Their first match was rated 5.5 out of 5 Stars by Dave Meltzer, and this month they'll meet again at NXT Takeover XXV, coming up only slightly short of their previous performance's quality. But below the Main Event level, the brand is struggling. North American Champion Velveteen Dream feels directionless despite his fan-favorite status and a feud with returning fan-favorite Tyler Breeze. The Tag Division is in turmoil because of the sudden main roster callup of Tag Champs the War Raiders (now know as The Viking Experience :stare:). Shayna Bazler's complete, smothering domination of the women's division peaks with a clean submission victory of red-hot Arguably Best Wrestler Of Any Gender On The Planet Io Shirai. There are red flags everywhere, but the talent is so good and they've earned so much fan goodwill most people haven't noticed... yet.
___

While Titan Towers foundations and support beams rot before our eyes, US wrestling history is truly being made OUTSIDE of WWE for the first time since the Monday Night Wars: All Elite Wrestling is just over one week removed from their first ever Pay Per View event, Double or Nothing in Las Vegas Nevada, and it was not only a success, but one which destroyed even the most optimistic industry expectations. Ticket demand outstripped all but a handful of live events of ANY kind in RECORDED BOX OFFICE HISTORY. It garnered the highest PPV buyrate in wrestling history outside of WWE since the Monday Night Wars ended. It received universal Critical Praise from top to bottom, being compared to legendary events like WCW/AAA Worlds Collide or ECW Heatwave '98. Cody Rhodes and Tony Khan have fired the first shot of a new Wrestling War, and now the hype is building for the launch of their weekly TV series, AEW Dynamite on TNT, coming in October. With the crowning of GOAT candidate Chris Jericho as their inaugural champion, the surprise reveal of World's Hottest Free Agent Jon Moxley during the event's finale, and the presence of some of the best talent the current generation has to offer from Kenny Omega to the Lucha Brothers in their locker room, the only question now is if they can keep their company hot for five long months until their TV debut.
___

AEW may be soaring, but not everyone can take joy in it, most especially the beleaguered Ring of Honor. Their refusal to be officially involved in Cody Rhode's original "All In," event followed by its subsequent success and the exodus of many top talents to the nascent AEW has made their management look like ignorant fools. This black eye to the company's reputation would only be compounded two months ago, at what should have been their greatest triumph, and the dawn of a new age for ROH: G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden. It was the first wrestling show since the founding of the WWWF to be held there without a McMahon in charge, and it would prove to be an embarrassment. Every ROH angle and match was derided by the live audience and critically panned by the larger industry, squandering the biggest stage the company had ever held. They only looked worse because the presence of brilliant performances and storylines from the top talent of NJPW. The crowning of new champion Matt Taven was met with indifference, and that indifference has led to cratering buyrates, ticket sales and streaming service subscription numbers. Their recently launched Women of Honor division has been plagued with scandal and negative reception. Internal discontent over creative struggles and lack of concern for talent health are only a few months away from boiling over. Even the presence of The Villain Marty Scurll, one of the biggest stars in Indy Wrestling, is hardly a positive because all anyone wants to talk about is when his contract runs out so he can go to AEW. This month's "Best In The World," PPV, headlined by Taven vs Jeff Cobb, and it is a show best described as "forgettable."
___

While life bleeds out of ROH, the cockroach of wrestling, Impact, stubbornly clings to it. Downgraded (:stare:) from PopTV to Pursuit, a premium cable channel geared toward hunting and fishing, Impact began simulcasting its show on Twitch in December. Despite this new low, incredibly, the former TNA seems to be on an upward swing, if only because they've found some tiny scrap of stability. Ever the refuge for the discarded, untouchable or unappreciated from other promotions, Impact Wrestling is currently headlined by Brian "A MACHINE," Cage, who's lengthy title run has been very well received by the people actually watching, and a bevy of other talents its almost shocking would agree to be there, perhaps most notably the new LAX, Santanna and Ortiz, who's feuds in the tag division have been catching a lot of eyes. Impact has used every trick it can conjour to squeeze blood from its long-suffering stone, from throwing money at aging ECW alums to plotting a high-profile Intergender match between Tessa Blanchard and Sami Callihan which may or may not be part of some insane long-term booking stunt, and drat if there is not some small amount of buzz for July's Slammiversary 2019 Pay Per View event, headlined by a title defense between Cage and Unlikable... sorry, that's UNBREAKABLE Mike Elgin. poo poo, they even had the audacity to launch their own Impact Plus streaming service last month. Will they gently caress this positive momentum up? I mean, probably, its Impact...
___

And while the deathless shambles onward, life finds a way on the Indy Circuit. Major League Wrestling will run its biggest event yet on the 1st of this month, the culmination of two years of steady growth and carefully controlled ambitions. Fury Road 2019 will be headlined by MLW Champion Teddy Hart defending against Jimmy Havoc, and Mance Warner vs Sami Callihan in a Loser Leave MLW Match. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla is one month removed from Mystery Vortex VI, which was heralded as a show on a similar level to a BOLA final and main evented by Joey Janela vs Darby Allin in a Guerrilla Warfare match. And oh-so-quietly, Billy Corgan's National Wrestling Alliance, capitalizing on the success of Nick Aldis' "Aldis Crusade," title defenses, their "Ten Pounds of Gold," webseries, and most importantly the attention they received through their association with the "All In," event, is preparing for next month. In July they deliver the biggest news they've been a part of since Shane Douglas launched ECW off their backs: their reorganization as a formal Wrestling Promotion through the youtube series NWA Powerr.

Is American Indy Wrestling doomed with the advent of AEW taking its biggest names mainstream, WWE and NXT's continual vacuuming of talent, Impact's apparent resurgence, ROH's potential death throes and the biggest names on the scene aiming higher than they've ever aimed? Or are they on the cusp of a new golden age the likes of which haven't been seen since CM Punk, Samoa Joe and Brian Danielson ruled the bingo halls?

(I could do more of these for Japan, Mexico and the UK but this took a lot of effort, so I'll wait)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Basically the only way I could commit to something like this is if I started my own promotion and filled it with castoffs and mud show idiots, specifically to make decisions just like these.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

I Before E posted:

The hour limit makes sense, assuming the draft is being done all at once, but the draft list has the benefit of not penalising teams where all the representatives are unable to respond due to real life stuff by kicking all their picks to the end of the draft while still keeping things moving.

It might bite me in the rear end later but I suppose I could do both. If a team would rather give me a draft list of preferred talent to defer to then I would be fine with that. If not then we could just go the skipping route. I'm gonna try to be as agreeable as possible here.

Sanguinia posted:

June 2019, eh...

____

WWE is only a couple of months removed from the success of Wrestlemania 35, where Kofimania Ran Wild, Seth Rollins became The Beastslayer, and Becky Twobelts was crowned through her slightly-botched main event victory over Charlotte Flair AND Ronda Rousey. Since that event they have struggled to capitalize on their momentum - Lacey Evan's push is dying on the vine as they try to make her seem like a threat to Becky, Becky has already lost her second belt to Charlotte who then lost it to Bayley, Baron Corbin's feud with Seth Rollins is a ratings disaster despite the efforts to push Seth and Becky together as Wrestling's ultimate Power Couple, and Kevin Owen's feud with Kofi is derailed by a great big elephant in the room: the upcoming Super Showdown event in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Talent are bitterly divided on wanting to participate in this event after the murder of US Journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents. John Cena and Daniel Bryan refuse to be involved, WWE management pitches the country's first ever women's match and is shot down (a very bad look so soon after their loud self-congratulations on letting women main event Wrestlemania), Aliester Black is denied the chance to participate because of the religious symbolism of his tattoo's, Sami Zayn refuses to be involved because during a prior show he was banned by the Saudi government due to his Syrian heritage, and Kevin Owens refuses in solidarity with his friend, demanding a rapid rewrite of the WWE title feud. The entire card is put into dramatic flux because of this event when it was hardly stable beforehand, and on top of all this the main event match of Goldberg vs The Undertaker would be a disaster in which both men's lives seemed to be at serious risk during certain moves to their ages and physical condition. This event would later be voted Worst Wrestling Event of 2019, and its sudden rewrites and general bad buzz would reverberate into the incredibly milquetoast Stomping Grounds PPV a few weeks later, leaving this to be one of WWE's worst months of content in many years.

If some kind of disaster WERE to strike the company, there would never be a worse time than right now...

___

While WWE is coming apart at the seams, its developmental brand NXT is reaching an in-ring zenith, but there are worrying signs on the fringes. While the final climax of the lengthy DIY Breakup Storyline was sadly curtailed by Tomasso Ciampa's need for neck surgery, the substitute feud of NXT Champion Johnny Gargano vs Adam Cole is running red hot on the sheer level of in-ring talent. Their first match was rated 5.5 out of 5 Stars by Dave Meltzer, and this month they'll meet again at NXT Takeover XXV, coming up only slightly short of their previous performance's quality. But below the Main Event level, the brand is struggling. North American Champion Velveteen Dream feels directionless despite his fan-favorite status and a feud with returning fan-favorite Tyler Breeze. The Tag Division is in turmoil because of the sudden main roster callup of Tag Champs the War Raiders (now know as The Viking Experience :stare:). Shayna Bazler's complete, smothering domination of the women's division peaks with a clean submission victory of red-hot Arguably Best Wrestler Of Any Gender On The Planet Io Shirai. There are red flags everywhere, but the talent is so good and they've earned so much fan goodwill most people haven't noticed... yet.
___

While Titan Towers foundations and support beams rot before our eyes, US wrestling history is truly being made OUTSIDE of WWE for the first time since the Monday Night Wars: All Elite Wrestling is just over one week removed from their first ever Pay Per View event, Double or Nothing in Las Vegas Nevada, and it was not only a success, but one which destroyed even the most optimistic industry expectations. Ticket demand outstripped all but a handful of live events of ANY kind in RECORDED BOX OFFICE HISTORY. It garnered the highest PPV buyrate in wrestling history outside of WWE since the Monday Night Wars ended. It received universal Critical Praise from top to bottom, being compared to legendary events like WCW/AAA Worlds Collide or ECW Heatwave '98. Cody Rhodes and Tony Khan have fired the first shot of a new Wrestling War, and now the hype is building for the launch of their weekly TV series, AEW Dynamite on TNT, coming in October. With the crowning of GOAT candidate Chris Jericho as their inaugural champion, the surprise reveal of World's Hottest Free Agent Jon Moxley during the event's finale, and the presence of some of the best talent the current generation has to offer from Kenny Omega to the Lucha Brothers in their locker room, the only question now is if they can keep their company hot for five long months until their TV debut.
___

AEW may be soaring, but not everyone can take joy in it, most especially the beleaguered Ring of Honor. Their refusal to be officially involved in Cody Rhode's original "All In," event followed by its subsequent success and the exodus of many top talents to the nascent AEW has made their management look like ignorant fools. This black eye to the company's reputation would only be compounded two months ago, at what should have been their greatest triumph, and the dawn of a new age for ROH: G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden. It was the first wrestling show since the founding of the WWWF to be held there without a McMahon in charge, and it would prove to be an embarrassment. Every ROH angle and match was derided by the live audience and critically panned by the larger industry, squandering the biggest stage the company had ever held. They only looked worse because the presence of brilliant performances and storylines from the top talent of NJPW. The crowning of new champion Matt Taven was met with indifference, and that indifference has led to cratering buyrates, ticket sales and streaming service subscription numbers. Their recently launched Women of Honor division has been plagued with scandal and negative reception. Internal discontent over creative struggles and lack of concern for talent health are only a few months away from boiling over. Even the presence of The Villain Marty Scurll, one of the biggest stars in Indy Wrestling, is hardly a positive because all anyone wants to talk about is when his contract runs out so he can go to AEW. This month's "Best In The World," PPV, headlined by Taven vs Jeff Cobb, and it is a show best described as "forgettable."
___

While life bleeds out of ROH, the cockroach of wrestling, Impact, stubbornly clings to it. Downgraded (:stare:) from PopTV to Pursuit, a premium cable channel geared toward hunting and fishing, Impact began simulcasting its show on Twitch in December. Despite this new low, incredibly, the former TNA seems to be on an upward swing, if only because they've found some tiny scrap of stability. Ever the refuge for the discarded, untouchable or unappreciated from other promotions, Impact Wrestling is currently headlined by Brian "A MACHINE," Cage, who's lengthy title run has been very well received by the people actually watching, and a bevy of other talents its almost shocking would agree to be there, perhaps most notably the new LAX, Santanna and Ortiz, who's feuds in the tag division have been catching a lot of eyes. Impact has used every trick it can conjour to squeeze blood from its long-suffering stone, from throwing money at aging ECW alums to plotting a high-profile Intergender match between Tessa Blanchard and Sami Callihan which may or may not be part of some insane long-term booking stunt, and drat if there is not some small amount of buzz for July's Slammiversary 2019 Pay Per View event, headlined by a title defense between Cage and Unlikable... sorry, that's UNBREAKABLE Mike Elgin. poo poo, they even had the audacity to launch their own Impact Plus streaming service last month. Will they gently caress this positive momentum up? I mean, probably, its Impact...
___

And while the deathless shambles onward, life finds a way on the Indy Circuit. Major League Wrestling will run its biggest event yet on the 1st of this month, the culmination of two years of steady growth and carefully controlled ambitions. Fury Road 2019 will be headlined by MLW Champion Teddy Hart defending against Jimmy Havoc, and Mance Warner vs Sami Callihan in a Loser Leave MLW Match. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla is one month removed from Mystery Vortex VI, which was heralded as a show on a similar level to a BOLA final and main evented by Joey Janela vs Darby Allin in a Guerrilla Warfare match. And oh-so-quietly, Billy Corgan's National Wrestling Alliance, capitalizing on the success of Nick Aldis' "Aldis Crusade," title defenses, their "Ten Pounds of Gold," webseries, and most importantly the attention they received through their association with the "All In," event, is preparing for next month. In July they deliver the biggest news they've been a part of since Shane Douglas launched ECW off their backs: their reorganization as a formal Wrestling Promotion through the youtube series NWA Powerr.

Is American Indy Wrestling doomed with the advent of AEW taking its biggest names mainstream, WWE and NXT's continual vacuuming of talent, Impact's apparent resurgence, ROH's potential death throes and the biggest names on the scene aiming higher than they've ever aimed? Or are they on the cusp of a new golden age the likes of which haven't been seen since CM Punk, Samoa Joe and Brian Danielson ruled the bingo halls?

(I could do more of these for Japan, Mexico and the UK but this took a lot of effort, so I'll wait)

I love this and I love you. Thank you.

Hiram fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 18, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Unless PWG gets some sort of weekly show, they're playing very differently from every other team because they have like one event a month. I guess that could work, especially if a team is more interested in writing one really good monthly event than doing weeks of promos and build, but it depends on how the team decides to emulate PWG's Twitter-based announcement model. The PWG team dropping in with a bunch of exciting announced matches every few in game weeks would be a really fun touch.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I Before E posted:

Unless PWG gets some sort of weekly show, they're playing very differently from every other team because they have like one event a month. I guess that could work, especially if a team is more interested in writing one really good monthly event than doing weeks of promos and build, but it depends on how the team decides to emulate PWG's Twitter-based announcement model. The PWG team dropping in with a bunch of exciting announced matches every few in game weeks would be a really fun touch.

I wanted to put more "important," indies like CZW, but finding info on them was hard. :(

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

I Before E posted:

I was playing with the idea of giving every promotion a weekly television show to even the playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If PWG were to maintain the regular business model there should be some way of maintaining the "yeah sure, you can work a PWG weekend" deal, which should be relatively do-able if goons control most of the "major" promotions.

Sanguinia posted:

I wanted to put more "important," indies like CZW, but finding info on them was hard. :(

CZW as an "important" indie in 2019???