Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Everybody knows that Iberio-America (commonly misappropriately named "LATIN" America for dubious reasons) is not a cultural hegemon. The idea that one should group the plethora of nations together based on the language they speak is completely ludicrous metric to determine a region. It is equally as nonsensical as calling Vietnam "Chinese" and Finland "Nordic". Frankly, they do not even speak Latin. Spanish is about as equivalent to vulgar Latin as English is to German. And combining Brasil (I pronounce it "Brah-HEEL-lay") with the others doesn't make sense even in that context. The only countries worthy of the title "Latin" are those with significant Italic descendants, like Brazil and Argentina. Thus, I propose a motion to completely redfine how we categorize the "bloc" previously known as Latin America

Moorish America:
Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia
African America:
The Caribbean, Brazil, Venezuela
Olmec America:
Mexico + Central America
Norte Chico America:
The rest of South America

Below I have provided a handy dandy map to help illustrate what this might look like. What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment and give your own suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hue hue hue

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Oh yes, also the USA is more Latin American than these other countries, as we have many Italian southrons (actual Latins) as opposed to the northerner diaspora living in the supposed "latin" America :coolfish:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jajaja

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Olmerica

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I prefer this one:

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Could you provide a map of how much each South American country has been hosed by the U S of A?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Moorish America?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Both continents rightfully belong under one banner. The true United Nations of America. We must cast off this framing from the Old World and rise from the coronavirus ashes like a phoenix. A new American order....

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Extra Large Marge posted:

Moorish America?

Iberia belongs to the Moors.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think you mean the Moops

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread may be a problem

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

How do you think the continents should be divided Burt? What's your take on creating a better series of labels?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
kekekekekeke, no, wait, that's Korean.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dont Touch ME posted:

How do you think the continents should be divided Burt? What's your take on creating a better series of labels?

I reject your hegemony altogether

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Now I'm not going to lie, that's a pretty based response. You're alright, blue-star man.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It's latin america because they are predominantly catholic

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
This is great! Once we gently caress up this up we can keep all of our wars closer to home rather than having them in the Middle East!

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I think this one makes more sense considering the current geopolitical landscape

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What if we just made them part of the united states.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
me farting in this thread transcends all cultural and language barriers OP

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Chinatown posted:

me farting in this thread transcends all cultural and language barriers OP

eggs truly are a universal cuisine

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was the thread several years ago a where the OP posted a cartoon portraying a bunch of different European nationalities and one of them was short and hairy and had stink lines coming off of him, and the rest of the thread was a million variations on that?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dont Touch ME posted:

Frankly, they do not even speak Latin. Spanish is about as equivalent to vulgar Latin as English is to German. And combining Brasil (I pronounce it "Brah-HEEL-lay") with the others doesn't make sense even in that context. The only countries worthy of the title "Latin" are those with significant Italic descendants

they are latin because they worship the pope, king of the latins

(also argentina and brasil have lots of italic descendants)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Instead of problematic redividing, let's reuniting.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just call it all gay america, OP

Because they're much happier than your sore rear end.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bronze Fonz posted:

I prefer this one:

Aside from Colombia, Venezeuela and Costa Rica (and Brazil's obviously out of date) this is completely wrong. Almost none of my neighbors even know that Paraguay exists much less what its system of government is.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dont Touch ME posted:

Everybody knows that Iberio-America (commonly misappropriately named "LATIN" America for dubious reasons) is not a cultural hegemon. The idea that one should group the plethora of nations together based on the language they speak is completely ludicrous metric to determine a region. It is equally as nonsensical as calling Vietnam "Chinese" and Finland "Nordic". Frankly, they do not even speak Latin. Spanish is about as equivalent to vulgar Latin as English is to German. And combining Brasil (I pronounce it "Brah-HEEL-lay") with the others doesn't make sense even in that context. The only countries worthy of the title "Latin" are those with significant Italic descendants, like Brazil and Argentina. Thus, I propose a motion to completely redfine how we categorize the "bloc" previously known as Latin America

Moorish America:
Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia
African America:
The Caribbean, Brazil, Venezuela
Olmec America:
Mexico + Central America
Norte Chico America:
The rest of South America

Below I have provided a handy dandy map to help illustrate what this might look like. What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment and give your own suggestions.

I like that there's a north moorish america and a south moorish america, and a little section of anglo-frankish tucked away as well. Don't see that causing confusion at all.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Burt Sexual posted:

This thread may be a problem

Are we waiting for head measurements to be sure?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I like that there's a north moorish america and a south moorish america, and a little section of anglo-frankish tucked away as well. Don't see that causing confusion at all.

Technically the south of Mexico should be Olmec, and Belize has never been considered Latin America anyways.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Aside from Colombia, Venezeuela and Costa Rica (and Brazil's obviously out of date) this is completely wrong. Almost none of my neighbors even know that Paraguay exists much less what its system of government is.

Personally I liked the British Riviera, but I'm pretty sure that title's already claimed by Níce :banjo:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
furthermore i insist we stop referring to china as china, but as its constituent kingdoms of wei, wu and shu

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

General Dog posted:

What was the thread several years ago a where the OP posted a cartoon portraying a bunch of different European nationalities and one of them was short and hairy and had stink lines coming off of him, and the rest of the thread was a million variations on that?

You're most likely thinking about flag bearer memes in the one of the RUSSIA.jpg thread

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Thats kind of like saying Rhodesia belongs to the Whites.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Latin America already has a complicated system of racial organization, OP.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Randarkman posted:

Thats kind of like saying Rhodesia belongs to the Whites.

No, I'd say it's more like saying Istanbul belongs to the Turks. If you support Spain, you support Moorish Iberia. Simple as.

Badactura posted:

Latin America already has a complicated system of racial organization, OP.

Dark skin = black. Bright skin = white. It's way more simple than the absolute nonsense Americans try to pull over everybody, like their olde timey pseudo-science is any more objective.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dont Touch ME posted:

the province of Hispania belong to the Pope, until he declares another western emperor :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Rutibex posted:

the province of Hispania belong to the Pope, until he declares another western emperor :colbert:

ACTUALLY with Manifest Destiny in play, we can extrapolate that there is an emperor declared through providence and it's.... Donald Trump??? Well, guess we'll wait on the Papal's decree.