Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hey, it's a sports game!

So one thing I've wanted to do for a long time now, I want to say since NBA2k introduced "MyLeague", a customizable league simulation that you can run for 50, and then nowadays, 80 years of simulations, is what I have called an expansion challenge. I'll get to that in a second.

So there's many different ways to play an NBA2k game. These games are (rightfully) somewhat maligned as being improperly balanced, glitchy, and having totally unrealistic AI. Head-to-head games are just... not something I could ever see myself doing. Playing against the AI is a weird progression from "these unbeatable players are seemingly drawn to my team by magnets", to you learning the trick to exploiting them, to blowing out all teams by 20 points, even if you're using someone unbelievably bad, like the New York Knicks. (Any season)

You can mitigate a lot of the problems in the games by playing around with sliders, making a simulation a bit more realistic, or really arcade-y if you prefer. This applies both to the in-game logic, as well as the out of game simulation logic. Find it too easy to hit layups? There's a slider for that. Maybe you think it's because the opposing defense is too stupid. There's sliders for how they go for blocks, how often they might succeed, defensive rotation, and on and on. On the GM side of things, there are sliders that make players more or less likely to accept contracts for various reasons. You can adjust how much CPU GMs value draft picks. You can adjust how much or how little players develop or decline during their careers. If you're really, really thorough, you can get a fairly believable simulation going.

We'll only be focused on the GM stuff, as I will be playing the most fun way: with spreadsheets.

The MyLeague mode, as I said, allows you to simulate the entire league, taking control of any or all of the teams inside. You can move teams to different cities, expand the number of teams, delete stupid teams no one likes and that have never amounted to anything, like the New York Knicks, or replace literally everything about the league, such as in this other LP, which is a Fire Emblem based basketball league.

MyLeague can run for an absolutely staggering 80 years if you so desire. Players will retire. Every active player will retire. Some may move onto jobs as coaches, GMs or Scouts. The league might completely change the rules. They might reduce the number of seconds on the shot clock, or they might increase it. Sometimes it decides to eliminate the shot-clock altogether. And it's not just in-game rules that could be changed. Contracts, the draft, trades, all of this could theoretically change during the course of play. The league of the future might be unrecognizable from the league today. And while 80 years might be a bit more than I can chew, and I haven't decided how many I'm going to run for, ultimately, this LP will be about what I call the Expansion Challenge:

Yes, we'll be playing as an Expansion team for the purpose of this LP. One of two. Our purpose is simple: By the time I call it quits, our team is to be more prestigious, more special, more inextricably linked with the Basketball zeitgeist as our sister team, the one that came into the league the same year we did.

We can select from a list of pre-made teams, but I won't be doing that. Instead, I'll be letting the reader come up with ideas for both us and our rival team. Such as our name, the mascot, and of course location. When we make a new team, rather than simply typing in a city name, we actually have a limited number of cities that show up as potential locations for a new basketball franchise. When I select the option to set the expansion team's city, I am greeted with a screen like this:

As you can see, Seattle has a huge fan interest. It's almost as if the entire city is really mad over a dishonest investor buying them up and then moving their beloved Sonics to Oklahoma City in a multistate conspiracy. But that was like, twelve years ago. Are they really still mad about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XigdA6kiLcE (you can skip to 1:18 for relevance)
...................oh. Yeah, they still mad.

Seattle's kind of a "best case" scenario for starting a new franchise up. You'll find most cities are a bit more like this:

With three stats somewhere between 30 and 70, usually totally up somewhere between 90 and 150. Other cities are.... less ideal:

Yes, you can stick a team in Alaska, if you want to. Hell, maybe we will. It's not even the worst place you can stick a franchise. That would be this inexplicable option:

This actually haunts my dreams at night. Why Athens, GA? Why the gently caress Athens, GA? It makes no sense. It's really close to Atlanta, it has no population (It's the sixth largest metropolitan area in Georgia), and it's in ahead of other cities that would make more sense. Why not Boise, Idaho, which has three times the population and is in a region largely devoid of basketball? Why not Birmingham, Alabama, which is in a state that loves basketball in the same region as Athens, but also five times the Metro Population. Why not Des Moines? Why not Jackson? loving hell, the metropolitan area I'm in right now, Lansing/East Lansing Michigan has over twice the population. Soiux Falls, South Dakota, and Billings, Montana, both manage to have a similar (still larger!) dedicated metropolitan population and is nowhere near another franchise. Those last couple are a little disingenuous: Athens is actually rolled into Atlanta's Metropolitan area, but then again, no one alive thinks someone in Atlanta is going to choose a theoretical expansion team in Athens over the goddamn Hawks. The mind boggles. gently caress Athens Georgia.

....sorry.

Anyhow, In addition to every city that already has an NBA team, the full list of cities you can expand to is:

Albuquerque NM
Anaheim CA
Anchorage AK
Athens GA
Austin TX
Baltimore MD
Bronx NY
Buffalo NY
Cincinnati OH
Columbus OH
El Paso TX
Fresno CA
Hartford CT
Honolulu HI
Jacksonville FL
Kansas City MO
Las Vegas NV
Long Beach CA
Louisville KY
Mesa AZ
Montreal QC Canada
Nashville TN
New Haven CT
Newark NJ
Omaha NE
Pittsburgh PA
Providence RI
Raleigh NC
Richmond VA
San Diego CA
San Francisco CA
San Jose CA
Seattle WA
St. Louis MO
Tampa FL
Tuscon AZ
Vancouver BC Canada
Virginia Beach VA

VOTING TIME
Please vote for four of the above cities. Votes for Bronx, East Rutherford, Anaheim, Mesa, Long Beach, San Francisco, San Jose or loving ATHENS GEORGIA :argh: will not be counted. I will also not accept votes for cities that already have a franchise.

We also have the option of either starting this season (redoing the offseason) or next season. Please choose between waiting until 2020-2021 or starting in 2019-2020

1)Which Four Cities sound fun?

2)Which Season do we start in?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Kansas City, MO
Las Vegas, NV
Seattle, WA
St. Louis, MO

2020-2021 season.

Also, why Mesa instead of Tucson? At least Tucson you can draw on all of Pima county/UA fans rather than another team in Phoenix.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ninurta posted:

Also, why Mesa instead of Tucson? At least Tucson you can draw on all of Pima county/UA fans rather than another team in Phoenix.

Because I'm an idiot and missed one of the options. I went back and edited my post if anyone wants Tuscon. Fort Worth is also a possible location, but they're on the list of "I won't count it" because they're essentially Dallas.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I have no clue about sports, hopefully none of these cities are on the secret 'already has a franchise' list.

Albuquerque NM
Hartford CT
San Diego CA
Vancouver BC Canada

A couple of these I have a personal reason, a couple are just random picks that start with different letters.

2020-2021 season.

Guess if it's an option there might be a good reason to start it later.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Albuquerque NM
Columbus OH
El Paso TX
Honolulu HI

2019-2020 season.

This timeline split from ours with the addition of the expansion teams. Because of the butterfly effect, a novel coronavirus never jumped from pangolins to humans.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Kansas City, MO
Las Vegas, NV
Vancouver, BC
St. Louis, MO

2020-2021 season.

Will you be using custom Draft Classes or randomly generated ones.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 11, 2020

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Anchorage AK
Buffalo NY
Honolulu HI
Vancouver BC Canada

2020-2021 season

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I have no clue about sports, hopefully none of these cities are on the secret 'already has a franchise' list.

For the sake of convenience, I didn't bother to list the 29 cities that have NBA Franchises already.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Will you be using custom Draft Classes or randomly generated ones.

I'll be using randomly generated ones. I could search for the high school kids that are in the real world or whatever, but 1)That makes me feel weirdly creepy, and 2)They're crazily overpowered.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Anchorage AK
Buffalo NY
Honolulu HI
Nashville TN

2020-2021 season

Why? Because I think an Alaska-Hawaii rivalry would be *hilarious*, and also because I currently live in Buffalo and used to live in Nashville.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Bring back the New Jersey Nets! Have a battle of Nets vs Nets.

Newark, NJ
Kansas City, MO
Montreal, QC Canada
Tampa, FL

2019-2020 season

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

1. Which Cities sound like fun?
1. Newark, NJ
2. Anchorage, AK
3. Albuquerque, NM
4. Hartford, CT

what season?
2020-21

Albuquerque for personal reasons
NJ for the Revenge of the Nets
Anchorage for lol
Hartford for Whalers Part 2

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Montreal QC Canada
Vancouver BC Canada
Anchorage AK
Honolulu HI

2020-2021 season

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Newark, NJ
St. Louis, MO
Montreal QC Canada
Vancouver BC Canada

2020-2021 season

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

-Newark, New Jersey. The greater NYC area could really use a professional basketball team.
-Vancouver, BC. From what I've read, there's still a decent feeling around old hands in the real NBA that Vancouver was really poor timing (in the 90's, Canada was viewed as much more remote than it is today) and that there's actually a decent sentiment to give it another shot during the next wave of expansion.
-Anchorage, Alaska. This is your penance for calling them out.
-Honolulu, HI. Mostly because I'm wondering how the game will model it. Do you get hosed over by the fact that your players are jet-lagged to hell for every road game? Do you have to deal with players refusing to go so far away?

2020-2021; might as well start fresh in the new timeline.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Sister rivalry between STL and KC MO. Of course. I guess if those aren't available then either Montreal or Baltimore. Let's wait for covid to be over and start in 2020.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Columbus OH
Las Vegas NV
Omaha NE
Raleigh NC

2020-21 baybee.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm gonna go ahead and call the vote in favor of skipping/simming the 2019-2020 season, and adding the two teams in the 2020-2021 season. This is probably good. In my test game for this, I did it the other way around, and landed the sixth pick and then five teams proceeded to pass on Zion Williamson, the actual real life #1 pick and definitely the best player in the draft. (Sorry, Ja) So my franchise wound up pretty OK.

Vote for cities is still pretty wide open. Maybe folks can pitch their ideas for team names/colors/etc. Perhaps you can sway others.

I'll get on simming the early parts of 2019-2020 either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how fried I am from work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Columbus Genocide

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

I think everyone can agree that what America really lacks in this day and age is PATRIOTISM. That's why when we bring back the New Jersey Nets in Newark they will rock their historic Stars and Stripes jerseys, just like Dr. J used to. And New Jersey will get its revenge on Kevin Durant and the pretenders in Brooklyn.

(seriously, I want to bring those beautiful jerseys back)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Montreal
Kansas City
Honolulu
JAXXXONVILLE

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Anchorage AK, unless you're a COWARD :v:

Baltimore MD

Honolulu HI

Providence RI

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm not actually sure what effects, if any, location has on teams. I'm going to use the top two, and was planning on playing as the top vote getter, but if you guys want, I have no objections to playing as the "worse" overall location.

That is, the worse between the top two.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
This thread is missing one of the most epic sports game writeups in existence . You may now return to your regularly scheduled misadventure.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Strategic Sage posted:

This thread is missing one of the most epic sports game writeups in existence . You may now return to your regularly scheduled misadventure.

He did a video version of the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-yfZn5iYJE

Oddly, this is now the 2nd fumble dimension video I've linked to today.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Vancouver - I was but a small child when the Grizzlies came to Vancouver, and I loved basketball. So naturally I cheered for them, right? No, of course not. I was obsessed with dinosaurs and so naturally concluded that the Toronto Raptors were way cooler. In fact I ended up hating the Grizzlies because... I guess their mascot mocked the Raptors when they played or something, I honestly don't quite remember. Anyway, I naturally interpreted this as some kind of unforgivable sin. I was still sad when they left, though, because it meant that I couldn't go see them play the Raptors anymore. And then shortly afterwards I lost interest in basketball entirely when I stopped playing it and realized that hockey is a much more fun sport to watch. In conclusion, we must correct the mistakes of the past and give Vancouver a basketball team with a cool enough name that no child shall henceforth abandon it for a cooler team from a different city. Plus wouldn't it be hilarious if the best team in the NBA didn't play in the US? Wait...
Montreal - On that note, why not give Montreal a team as well? They lost the Expos, they deserve something nice.
Hartford - Continuing the trend of cities that have famously lost teams in other major sports leagues, give Hartford a team.
Seattle - The perfect rival for a team in Vancouver. Also I guess they lost their basketball team and are bitter about it or whatever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Non update update:

Well, I spent about half an hour adjusting recommended sliders and correcting a few things that I know are wrong, such as Luka Doncic's default position. (He's listed as a SG Primary and PG secondary. I am adjusting this to PG primary and SF Secondary)

Peeling back the curtain a bit before I sim the first season:
I'm not "Choosing to start in 2020". What I am actually doing is starting the 2019 season and setting my user controlled team to the statistical median team in the league (The Brooklyn Nets as it turns out), and then simming the entire season. At some point, I'm going to sign Timothe Luwawu-Cabbarot for the season.

After the season, for which I will post the interesting happenings, I'll add the two expansion teams, take control over one, ditch control over the Nets, and then Pursue the Offseason according to thread directive, which I'll get more into after I create the actual teams.

And then before the off-season ends, I'll take control of all thirty two teams and force those idiot sons of bitches to sign their goddamn 2nd round picks, because I kid you not, NBA 2k is a garbage fire of basketball ignorance and chooses not to sign every single CPU controlled second round pick, when the reality is much closer to the other way around. So unless a player is egregiously bad or insanely redundant, they're gonna get force-signed and then I'll resume control over only my real team. Phew.

EDIT
Also, the option to keep pre-season injuries as active doesn't loving work, and even turned on, no player starts the season injured. Good job, 2k

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I'm no big sportshead, but there's something magical about basketball, honestly. This looks like a good time.

Anchorage: Gooooo noncontinental US! Do your best!
Honolulu: See above.
Raleigh: As someone raised in the Carolinas I have an obligation.
Las Vegas: I just think it's got the potential for some fun showiness.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
PROLOGUE PART ONE (2019-2020)

Right off the bat, NBA2k20 proves to be a trash-fire, and despite having the injuries setting set to whichever the "real world" injury setting is, (and I loving reloaded as though I were crazy and tried the other setting, to no avail), no one starts the 2019-2020 season injured. This is, to put it lightly, very wrong. There were other injured players, sure, but the key guys that should have been out for at least part of the season, if not the entirety of the season, were MVP-caliber player Kevin Durant (oh, and former teammates Klay Thompson and Steph Curry), and All-Star Caliber player John Wall. Both men had suffered a ruptured Achilles the prior year. This is a slight advantage to their respective teams, the Brooklyn Nets and Washington Wizards that they otherwise would not have had. (Remember how I said that I picked the statistically medium team, the Nets? Well, by the end of this update, they are ranked second in the East. Whoops!)

After I loaded the season, the first thing I did was notice that the Nets had already signed Timothe Luwawu-Cabbarot for the entire season. So that's one less task for me to accomplish. I also checked the news headlines to show you what that looks like in-game.

That's right, it's twitter. Because the world wasn't broken enough. Well, it does give us our first glimpse at the coming 2020 NBA draft, which we'll actually be able to participate in. Let's see who this #1 pick is that I won't believe.

:stare: Wayne Newton.

......I.... I can honestly say I didn't expect that. You are right, 2K sports.

The other thing that might be of interest at the very start of the season when you're not controlling a team (well, not really controlling one) is the power rankings. The top of the table looks like this:

With the bottom looking more like this:

It's worth noting that the #4 team in these rankings, the Golden State Warriors, went into the season suspension this year as the worst team in the league. The injuries this season were quite different than what 2k simulated. Also worth noting, a start-of-the-season power rankings that doesn't have the New York Knicks in one of the bottom five spots. So... 2k continues to not understand basketball. (Technically, they're only the sixth worst team in the league in real life this season)

I simulate to the all-star break and trade deadline and very little of note actually happens.

These two signings early on are fairly notable players.

....except Cousins followed somewhat his real life pattern and became injured. The Suns took a hit, here.

The All-Star Teams look like this:

Steph Curry wins the 3pt contest and Donovan Mitchell wins the Slam dunk contest. Bradley Beal wins the All-Star game MVP (2k sports doesn't actually model this if you don't play the all-star game, but he went off for 28 points, 8 rebounds and 9 assists. So... Beal won.)

The Rookie/sophomore game in this iteration of 2k is now a "general young players" game between the USA Squad and an International Squad. The international team wins off the back of Luka Doncic, who I check out.

The first thing I notice is that the game overwrote my re-positioning of him, but they kept his primary role as Point Guard, so I don't bother to change it back. Also, you'll note he feels angry because he was snubbed for the all-star game. Let's check out his st----

--ats. drat. Yeah, he has a point. Those are MVP numbers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Around this time, two major events kick off in relation to the world or the NBA, the first, of course, is that the world has a global health scare when a very deadly, very infectious new virus is detected in China and begins to spread rapidly. The US response is swift and sure, and President Rodman (R) takes immediate action, pumping funds into the CDC and beginning early production on medical supplies, ventilators, n95 masks, and "enough toilet paper to wipe God's own rear end". One of the President's main critics, the New York Times, wrote:
"...when the Republicans nominated the troubled Rodman, the world collectively held its breath and went on holding it all the way through election day until now. His response to his presidency's greatest challenge has been nothing short of admirable. One imagines another, darker world, where the nominee and eventual president was someone just as unqualified and ridiculous, with a similar checkered past including allegations of sexual assault. It is doubtful that any other America would have elected someone with similarly bizarre hair, but it is easy to imagine they elevated someone just as prone to barely comprehensible media interviews, and who also shares a troubling relationship with North Korea--or perhaps Russia, but not both; that'd be too ridiculous. This fictional American President has all of the negatives, but none of Rodman's strengths. He is hateful where Rodman is grateful. If we had gone into this potential crisis with a president who was less willing to defer to expert advice, less willing to sacrifice himself, less willing to put in the work needed, we could have been looking at the deaths of tens of thousands of United States citizens."
When NBA player (and still zero time all-star) Rudy Gobert seemingly mocked people's fears about the virus during a press conference, making a show out of touching every available surface and microphone, the president called him personally and admonished him. Gobert would publicly apologize for his actions before sheepishly adding "He's the greatest rebounder of all-time, you know."

~~

The second is that the league announced it would be expanding and adding two new teams. The last expansion was 16 years ago in 2004 when the Charlotte Bobcats were formed. Franchises were announced for Vancouver, British Columbia, and, shockingly, Honolulu Hawaii.

Honolulu has hitherto been mum about their plans for team branding, but Vancouver immediately petitioned Robert Pera, owner of the Memphis Grizzlies, for the rights to their old name back. In the meantime, anticipating that they might be politely declined, the new ownership group began brainstorming a new team name "just in case". On a big white board in their "war room", Vancouver's executives began brainstorming, separating ideas into categories of what makes a good team brand. Categories like "Connection to the city" "Alliterative" "Abstract connection to basketball" and "Intimidation factor". After a week of discarding ideas, a letter arrived from the Grizzlies organization, essentially telling Vancouver that it was laughable that they would change their name. After all, any success that the Grizzlies had ever had was in Memphis. "When the Grizzlies were in Vancouver, they were a laughingstock. Whatever your new team is called, it will also be a laughingstock, but it will never be the Grizzlies."
The next day, several categories were erased, and one was added and circled: "Sticking it to Memphis."
It was on the way back down from a three kilometer run up Grouse Mountain that team president Vaughn St. Martin saw the sign for the trail he was on and threaded the needle. A connection to the city, a middle finger to Memphis.
The proposal: The Vancouver Grind. A name with a plausible connection to the city they can claim was always the intent, but with the added bonus of taking away the Memphis identity of Grit and Grind. If someone rips out your heart, rip out their soul.

VOTING TIME:
1)What should we call the Honolulu team?
2)Do we go with Vancouver Grind or something else? If something else, what?
3)Which do we play as?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 13, 2020

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Eh, I don't think anybody here cares about Memphis enough to try to spite them. Personally not a fan of abstract concept names anyway.

A few name ideas: Thunderbirds after the mythological bird (this probably wouldn't be used in real life because it's used by the University of British Columbia, but it's a pretty cool name, I think). Ravens after the trickster god, also associated with the area (this was the name of a very short-lived lacrosse team here). Dragons because dragons are cool enough that my younger self may have considered them as worth supporting over the Raptors (there was apparently a minor professional basketball team here called the Dragons from 2017 to 2019 that I had never heard of until now). Thunder Dragons because that's the coolest kind of dragon, obviously. There's no connection to the city, I just think it'd be a funny over-the-top name.

As for Honolulu... I dunno, the Volcanoes?

Either way, we should definitely control Vancouver. I'll wait to vote until I see other name ideas.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For whatever it's worth, there is a Vancouver Ravens team pre-built into the game which would save me a lot of work, the colors would be purple and grey.

Honolulu, unfortunately, does not have a pre-built brand.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Volcanoes is perfect. Matches with the city, cool sound, very unique, plenty of pun-related options (including some like "exploding for 40 points" which are already in the NBA lingo!).

Make your primary color red and a secondary of ash gray. Or vice versa, whichever would look cooler.

Meh. Singular nicknames are always awkward because it makes it so weird to refer to the teams and players. Honestly I think Ravens would be better; not fantastic, but fine.

Side note, Memphis refusing to change their name even after Vancouver comes back is probably accurate. The primary reason Charlotte got back the "Hornets" name is because there was a lot of people who still had fond memories of the 90's Charlotte Hornets, their awesome color scheme, the logo, etc; the original Grizzlies don't seem to have nearly that kind of nostalgia or love.

3)Which do we play as?
Honolulu. Just seems to be more of a unique setting than Vancouver..

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Volcanoes just seems so... cliche, for Hawaii. Plus with the, mmm, unpleasantness over building observatories on volcanoes, might not be a mudpile the league wants to stick its foot in. But you know what? Hawaii has a state animal that is sadly no longer represented in major sports, so I'll throw my vote at them being the Hawaii (humpback) Whales. Let's do this, sea-green and sun-yellow color scheme, because gently caress you we have better weather than anywhere else in this country and we're even going to rub it in on our jerseys. Plus, we might pick up some jaded fans in Connecticut.

Yo, there needs to be more teams named after Dragons in sports. And there's even a tenuous link to them in the local culture! Birmingham doesn't have that. Screw you, UAB.

3)Which do we play as?

I vote Honolulu, because it seems like it would be harder, and hence more satisfying when a championship comes.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
1. I think they should be the Honolulu Honu. It's a fun tongue twister of a name and it has local significance:

holualoainn.com posted:

The Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle is the only indigenous reptile found in Hawaii, but for Hawaiians, the Honu is a symbol of good luck in the form of a guardian spirit, or Amakua. The Honu pattern is depicted in ancient petroglyphs as well as in modern graphic form. For Hawaiians then and now, the Honu represents the navigator, and the eternal link between man, the land and the sea.

Give them some 90s rear end Jerseys, sea green and blue.

2. The Vancouver Ravens sound good to me, I'm always going to support a purple jersey.

3. Let's be Honolulu, we'll build a dynasty in the Pacific.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Thordain posted:

1. I think they should be the Honolulu Honu. It's a fun tongue twister of a name and it has local significance:

Give them some 90s rear end Jerseys, sea green and blue.

Second this bad boy.

2. Ravens would be okay, I’d kinda be down with Dragons though.

3. Honolulu all the way, I doubt jet lag is a thing in 2k but I wanna see if it’s possible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Honolulu Harbormasters - They don't take ship from anyone!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I'm also gonna toss my hat in with Honolulu Honu. It just seems more pleasant and clever.

I can vibe with the Vancouver Dragons. Let them roast and toast the bears.

As for controlling, I just wanna root for the islands. Go Honolulu!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Another thing of note, is there's a really good looking Honolulu Honu jersey (unless I waited too long and it's gone now) available

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I wanted to make one myself, but there's a couple real good ones out there.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I told my joke, so I am done with any attachment I might have had to the Grind.

Please vote between:

Dragons:

Ravens

~~~~~~~~~~~

Honu:

Volcanoes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want to submit a fan option, do not let me stop you. I'm playing on PC, so I don't melt my Playstation.
EDIT: And to be clear, I can also upload an image if you want to submit an idea and don't own the game

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I vote Ravens and Honu, also that the team to control should be Vancouver.