Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Creepshow

Written by Stephen King, directed by George freaking Romero with Tom Savini special effects. Starring (among others) Tom Atkins, Ed Harris, Leslie Nielsen, Ted Danson, Adrienne Barbeau, and E.G. Marshall.

Beautiful practical effects, awesome lighting effects to match simulate comic book panels, and a freaking amazing score that I play every Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

A tossup between Armageddon and Independence Day

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Mine are all over the place, but 4 that I would watch any time are:
Jaws
Troll 2
Badlands
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chuck Bartowski posted:

A tossup between Armageddon and Independence Day

when I saw armageddon with my cousins the year it came out we spent literally two weeks talking about how fuckin sweet it was

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

The Walrus posted:

I DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES

i dont either cuz dat rear end in yer av is TIGHT

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It was Jaws for the longest time until I finally saw The Machinist a few years ago and that's now my favorite move of all time and I can't see anything ever being better than that.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Dumbass opinions belong together, godbless.

Yeah for real, Donnie Darko was easily the 2nd worst movie I'd ever seen in my entire life (1st place goes to Open Water). After seeing Donnie Darko I promised myself I would never watch another goon-recommended movie again because I assumed they'd all be pretentious pointless plot-less dogshit.

"You have no idea what's going on the entire movie! That's the beauty of it!"

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It was Jaws for the longest time until I finally saw The Machinist a few years ago and that's now my favorite move of all time and I can't see anything ever being better than that.

Yeah for real, Donnie Darko was easily the 2nd worst movie I'd ever seen in my entire life (1st place goes to Open Water). After seeing Donnie Darko I promised myself I would never watch another goon-recommended movie again because I assumed they'd all be pretentious pointless plot-less dogshit.

Donni darko is the poo poo!

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Ah, these kinds of movies are great where ya gotta go back and see it again.

Fight Club
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
etc.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Raising Arizona

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

donnie darko owns and the plot is great but yeah if you watched the original cut and didn't gently caress around on a related website for a few hours you would have come away very confused

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The Fountain. I cry every time!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Children of Men. I saw it when it first came out in theaters and was completely blown away. My friends and I were laughing and joking going in but when the credits rolled no one said a god drat word for at least five minutes. That movie is intense.

I watch it once a year with someone who’s never seen it before, having someone there who has no idea what they’re in for is always really interesting and all of them are just as blown away as we were 10+years ago.

That movie is incredible. Everything about it is perfect.

I kind of miss movies like Dick Tracy and The Rocketeer, back when Disney was really going after that 1930s-1940s aesthetic. Dick Tracy is an incredible action-adventure that manages to couple action with hints of horror (just the idea of getting a "bath" from Big Boy Caprice is creepy as gently caress) and incredible acting from Al Pacino. I just love the Rocketeer because the combination of being able to fly, fighting Nazis, James Horner's soundtrack, a final fight on a loving zeppelin, and Jennifer Connelly is something beautiful.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I'm gonna go ahead and say one of the best comedies of all time (besides Dumb and Dumber and Office Space) is The Heartbreak Kid (the one with Ben Stiller).

It got absolutely wretched reviews and I think might have even been a box-office disaster but I can sit and watch that movie any time, any day, over and over.

The movie is perfect for so many reasons. He falls in love with the girl at the beginning; she's perfect, smart, beautiful, sweet, etc. She plays the part perfectly. You fall in love with her just watching her.

Then within a few days of being married you actually side with Ben Stiller attempting to be unfaithful on his own loving honeymoon. Even though, on paper, she's doing nothing wrong: she sings annoyingly and has a bad sunburn. That's literally it, and yet you totally get Ben Stiller's position too somehow. That's how perfectly it's acted.

The girl he is trying to cheat on his wife with is played similarly perfectly; she's not hot; she's "fall-in-love-with beautiful". And she's got the coolest personality ever, and again you actually sympathize with this guy when you should hate him. Also, the ending is absolutely perfect.

There's a few corny scenes (the jellyfish part) but overall for a movie that got absolutely lambasted I think it's one of the best comedies I've ever seen, and a major part of that is simply for the plot and how well the characters play their roles. One of the rare comedies I can watch over and over and over again. (Yes I am aware it's a remake of a '70s movie)

I would say it's the perfect comedy movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

That movie is incredible. Everything about it is perfect.

Clive Owen’s performance in that is why I’ll still watch basically anything with Clive Owen in it. He’s never quite matched it but that’s like complaining Justified peaked with Season 2, sometimes you just end up setting a high bar for yourself relatively early. Doesn’t mean what came after isn’t great.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Clive Owen’s performance in that is why I’ll still watch basically anything with Clive Owen in it. He’s never quite matched it but that’s like complaining Justified peaked with Season 2, sometimes you just end up setting a high bar for yourself relatively early. Doesn’t mean what came after isn’t great.

:agreed: He has the ability to make anything he's in at least watchable. Also, he did Shoot 'em Up, and therefore can do no wrong.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

It’s a close tie between Airplane! and Evil Dead 2.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Salty Josh posted:

The one with Karl Urban in it is top shelf.

It's a much better movie but I love the 90s Dredd especially the sets.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Exit Through the Gift Shop kicks rear end, but it's a documentary so I don't know if it counts

If it doesn't, then OG Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory all the way

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Have to give it up for The Wrong Missy.
Fat Nick Swardson is a delight!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Another favorite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6TrgQxf3lk

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
This is probably my favorite part of Night of the Hunter. The LOVE and HATE finger tattoos have been referenced many many times including on the simpsons with sideshow bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcTv-BEwabk

https://i.imgur.com/8bJxs06.gifv

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Little Nicky

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Lives of Others

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

or

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Lock me in a vault with these 10 and I am good:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Pulp Fiction
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
No Country for Old Men
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python's Holy Grail
The Big Lebowski
Ocean's 11 Remake
Fantasia

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Torquemada posted:

Might be Boogie Nights, or Blade Runner, or maybe What’s Up Doc. Honourable mention to No Country For Old Men for being so different yet simultaneously the same as the book.
I’m not a Streisand fan but she nailed it in what’s up doc. Also Madeline Kahn.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress it, I'm going with Commando. There's never been a day I wouldn't be happy to watch that.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Snatch. I still haven't seen The Gentleman yet though.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 17, 2020

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Lock me in a vault with these 10 and I am good:

Pulp Fiction
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
No Country for Old Men
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python's Holy Grail
The Big Lebowski
Ocean's 11 Remake
Fantasia

Blade Runner
Alien
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
The Matrix
The Shawshank Redemption
Django Unchained
Lord of the Rings
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Wolf of Wall Street

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Quentin Tarantino's GunSwearers

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Emanuelle in Bangkok (1976)

Director Joe D'Amato

Edit; not really obviously, ill think of something better later

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 17, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rochelle, Rochelle

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Dragon Ball Z Coolers Revenge

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ghostbusters

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Spacegrass posted:

Snatch. I still haven't seen The Gentleman yet though.

Go watch Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
I can watch Amadeus and Saving Private Ryan over and over again. Also Superbad.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Godfather: Part II

For me, it's the perfect movie.

Scarface comes a close 2nd, though.

Guilty pleasure movie is Employee of The Month. Yes, the one with Dane Cook and Dax Shepard.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The fuckin DEPAHTED!!!!!!

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

GEEKABALL posted:

I've seen it. It's a gem, but I still like Snatch better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GEEKABALL posted:

I can watch Amadeus and Saving Private Ryan over and over again. Also Superbad.

Snatch is a strictly better version of lock stock, there’s no need to go back.