Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh man, I had no idea this thread existed!

I'm YP and I have been in the nonprofit field for basically my entire adult life. I was a Peace Corps volunteer, I did some teaching in Japan, I worked at a very small educational programming nonprofit doing programs and development, and now I am on the opposite side working for a grant making foundation. I also have dual Master's Degrees in Public Administration and Non-Profit Management. I'm by no means a lawyer, but I have a fair bit of knowledge on legal practices and the history of nonprofits in America.

I'd love to gab about anything nonprofit with any goons who will listen!

I will say I'm in a rare position because I actually make pretty good money at my current job. I'm in a pretty low cost of living city, so I'd be drowning in L.A. or New York, but I make enough to support myself and my dog.

I've only spent slightly less than a year of my adult life working in the for-profit sector. Right when Covid hit my little nonprofit that survived entirely on independent donors was in a bad place. The CEO/Founder was basically my mentor, and I knew that he would do everything he could to keep me on, even though I wasn't the most valuable member of the team. I ended up finding a job at a megacorp doing project management and so I took that, partially for the security and pay increase, but partially because I thought it was the best move for the organization. My CEO was sad, but he knew it was time for me to go.

I worked for about a year at the megacorp, and it was miserable. I have to work because I'll starve if I don't, but I began to really understand what people mean when they say they are in a job "for the money". Everyone was pissed off and constantly backbiting and cutting corners to make themselves look good. It made me realize how important it is for me to work for a mission, not so someone I'll never meet can make another million dollars this quarter. I was making about 50k there, and honestly even if I was making 150k I think I would still hate my life.

I can't complain though, because that job helped me land my current gig, which is as close to a dream job as I'll ever get. I've never dreamed of labour, but my current position is one where I genuinely improve the lives of those who need it most. I also love my team. It's such a massive difference going from a corporate position to an intimate and friendly team. It's like how every corporation says "we're a family!", but what they mean is "We're the parents and we expect you to do everything we say and make sacrifices that we would never reciprocate". The place I'm at now genuinely is like a sort of family, and the leadership is really big on making sure we have a flexible work environment. One of my coworkers basically does all her work from like 8PM-2AM because she has several young kids. It really is amazing.

So yeah, you'll get paid less in the nonprofit field. And honestly, almost everyone I know who has been in the nonprofit field for a long time is in a situation where they are like "Oh I love my job and I would never go to the for-profit sector!", but they are married and their partner makes 200k a year in finance or whatever. So if you really want to do it, my suggestion is to marry someone wealthy.

global tetrahedron posted:

ANYWAY, any ideas? when i mentioned wanting complete flexibility my boss said 'i'd have to think about that, there are a lot of considerations', which i get because i don't think any employee here has ever been fully remote. but i sense i'm going to have to continually bring it up and push for it if it were to ever happen. she's overextended and pulled in eight directions at once- i want to make this easy for her and a no-brainer for the org.

You mentioned your boss is kind of hard-to-please, but as a grant writer you really do have a very concrete list of success you can present in the form of grants obtained. If you're bringing roughly 40% of your entire organization's annual income, that's a lot of leverage. You could argue that the benefits of having a free WFH schedule will outway whatever benefits your boss things will come from you being arbitrarily forced into the office at certain times.

My leadership is very results oriented, and I have basically had carte blanche to work from home or office since I started. I personally like to go into the office most afternoons, but it's just cause my desk at home is lovely.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU