Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I don’t think we’ve had such a drastic shift in the immersiveness of games since the release of GTA3; It feels so insanely revolutionary compared to games before it.

On that note, is there any other medium in which the third title in a franchise is not only light years beyond the previous titles in the series but essentially sets the tone for its medium’s design for the next 2 decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Fun fact: manhunt takes place in the same GTA universe, in the same city across the one GTA 3 takes place in :hist101: (and also reuses some assets/sounds)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

EorayMel posted:

Fun fact: manhunt takes place in the same GTA universe, in the same city across the one GTA 3 takes place in :hist101: (and also reuses some assets/sounds)

That’s crazy, I had no idea... now I’m thinking about those those Liberty City Survivor advertisements in GTA3. :tinfoil:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
you look like my daughter...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

I don’t think we’ve had such a drastic shift in the immersiveness of games since the release of GTA3; It feels so insanely revolutionary compared to games before it.

On that note, is there any other medium in which the third title in a franchise is not only light years beyond the previous titles in the series but essentially sets the tone for its medium’s design for the next 2 decades?
Duke nukem went from side scrolling space man to a 3d world/doom style fps with tiddies

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Fallout 3 and Doom 3 :smith:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Duke nukem went from side scrolling space man to a 3d world/doom style fps with tiddies

"Baby! Shaken it!".

Man what a classic

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I never understood what running over the orange dudes in line formation was about, other than just points.

I have personally adopted "pay and spray" as my official word for those self-service car washes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They were Hare Krishnas and GOURANGA means be happy or something iirc.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Those were Hare Krishnas. "Gouranga" means "Be happy" or sth like that.

They become a gang in GTA2.

E: f,b

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I was a poor teenager once so before I could afford the original GTA I used to use a hack to cancel the demo timer. I couldn't be stopped at simple piracy however. Instead of running around all day in the demo not having a storyline, I modified the game using the editor and made parts of that demo level that were entirely custom.

It ran great on a Compaq Presario.

Eventually I bought them all, and then a while later Rockstar released the first two and some change when the full sandbox GTA III came out. They never had the Gouranga in the later ones-- I guess because they'd have to detail more than just people-pixels-splat.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

EorayMel posted:

In GTA 4 there area ton of Easter eggs about Manhunt. The First one you come across is the Hippo trash can outside the Memory lanes bowling alley. On a side note am I the only person who thinks GTA 4's universe was by far and away the best entry in the franchise?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I never owned a PS2, but I have fond memories of play Vice City at my friends place for such a long time.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

In GTA 4 there area ton of Easter eggs about Manhunt. The First one you come across is the Hippo trash can outside the Memory lanes bowling alley. On a side note am I the only person who thinks GTA 4's universe was by far and away the best entry in the franchise?

GTA 4 is my favorite, too. I liked the feeling of the city and the seriousness of the story.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I could never get into GTA IV because I hated how the cars handled in it so much

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

gta iv was a land of contrasts. some of the clunk was terrible, and vehicles could be really rough, but goddamn was it mindblowingly immersive with the best story.

plus, having balkan main characters felt really fresh and new after so many mob games with italians.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I gave up on IV because of the atmosphere, the cars, and the constant phone calls. I know the "Neeeeeko eeeets yo kaahzin" jokes, yadda yadda but jeezes christ I just got done with "it's raining again at the warehouse mission 9" can we take a break with the cousin dating sim? Did another family member or my girlfriend or pet die in a depressing way or something for a change of pace? No?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I could never get into GTA IV because I hated how the cars handled in it so much

This and the new combat system made it hard to get transition to. Loved the design of the city though... wish it could have been rereleased with GTAVs engine.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

It was my least favourite since GTA 3. I appreciated what they were trying to do, but it just felt boring to me.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

GTA IV was great but ruined by the constant phone calls from friends and associates.

Something TLAD and TBOGT fixed.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

grillster posted:

I was a poor teenager once so before I could afford the original GTA I used to use a hack to cancel the demo timer. I couldn't be stopped at simple piracy however. Instead of running around all day in the demo not having a storyline, I modified the game using the editor and made parts of that demo level that were entirely custom.

Eventually I bought them all, and then a while later Rockstar released the first two and some change when the full sandbox GTA III came out. They never had the Gouranga in the later ones-- I guess because they'd have to detail more than just people-pixels-splat.

Holy gently caress Compaq Presario buddy

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

zenintrude posted:

This and the new combat system made it hard to get transition to. Loved the design of the city though... wish it could have been rereleased with GTAVs engine.

My favorite memory of GTA IV definitely is being chased by a helicopter in multiplayer being flown 16 feet off the ground through "Central Park" while I was driving a Lambo, and I straight up did a 180 handbrake turn and took out the pilot with the window uzi. I don't think I've played it since.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
My favorite GTA game was Jak 3.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

My friend has this thing his brother showed him. In IV, you go over to the west side of the map south of the rugged mountainous area and hail a cab, near the dirt road. Pick a waypoint of the middle of the rugged terrain and while in route, when you're ready, tell the cabbie to hoof it. It's pretty funny.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i had a nightmare that i got into my real actual car and it slid around like someone put teflon on the tires

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

i had a nightmare that i got into my real actual car and it slid around like someone put teflon on the tires

It might have been tolerable if the map hadn't been a hyper-dense city with narrow crowded streets, the exact environment you'd want pinpoint handling the most in

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

grillster posted:

'Sup, hacked demo buddy!

The 3dfx demo was the whole San Andreas level, came with all the assets for all three levels and code for the entirety of Liberty City and SA. A quick copy/paste into the regular demo's .ini file and some folder rearranging got you 2/3s of the game. Can't remember where I got London and London '61 assets, but you could do the same thing with them.

Spent wayyyy too much time on Valdez's Parking Lot and Gouranga.com.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

grillster posted:

My friend has this thing his brother showed him. In IV, you go over to the west side of the map south of the rugged mountainous area and hail a cab, near the dirt road. Pick a waypoint of the middle of the rugged terrain and while in route, when you're ready, tell the cabbie to hoof it. It's pretty funny.

ok I'll bite.
What happens.

Does it make your phone ring?
Does it start raining harder or spawn extra weight in the trunk of the cab to make it harder to drive?
Does a Rockstar employee actually come to your house in real life to ask you in person "I guess, in retrospect, life WASN'T that much better in America for Niko, was it?" While handing you a framed photo of Niko and his family that's been torn and then taped back together and then giving you a few minutes to really ponder just how drat right they actually are how similarly bad of a life Niko has indeed found himself in?

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Metal Gear: Solid (obviously)

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

ok I'll bite.
What happens.

Does it make your phone ring?
Does it start raining harder or spawn extra weight in the trunk of the cab to make it harder to drive?
Does a Rockstar employee actually come to your house in real life to ask you in person "I guess, in retrospect, life WASN'T that much better in America for Niko, was it?" While handing you a framed photo of Niko and his family that's been torn and then taped back together and then giving you a few minutes to really ponder just how drat right they actually are how similarly bad of a life Niko has indeed found himself in?

No the cab driver just can't seem to stay in control on the windy mountainous dirt road.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
GTA III was great, and Game Radio loving ruled.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

grillster posted:

No the cab driver just can't seem to stay in control on the windy mountainous dirt road.

drat. I guess life wasn't better in america after all

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
like 95% of my video gaming has been GTA franchise.

I fondly remember my first time playing GTA III and how mind-blowing it was roaming around...for about 5 minutes, then some NPC spouted profanity and my parents took it back to Blockbuster :(

I do agree with the poster above that GTA IV is probably the most well-rounded GTA in terms of map, game mechanics and storyline. I still like San Andreas slightly better because the map is so cool, and the gang wars were fun. Not to mention San Andreas had the best soundtrack.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

20 Blunts posted:

I fondly remember my first time playing GTA III and how mind-blowing it was roaming around...for about 5 minutes, then some NPC spouted profanity and my parents took it back to Blockbuster :(
Cheesy vaginas!!!!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
them white boys had me on crystal meth

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't like when GTA V just had me do menial chorea for an entire mission. Also the writing and story

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

grillster posted:

Also this is in V, not IV, my bad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that was a really bad story in retrospect

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

You just don't understand!!!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just could not get into 4. I thought 3 was literally the best change to a videogame series in history, it really was that good.

4 was ok it was just real clunky. V was really good but the story was pretty meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I never ended up finishing 5. I had a lot of fun with it I just felt no compulsion to run the story out, I have no idea how much I even had left. I get that Rockstar characters and thus their plots have to be somewhat formulaic because, well, that's kinda how that poo poo works with them but holy moly sometimes it's rough. You could at least throw the player a bone once and a while with a plot twist or character development you can't see coming by looking at their face on the box art.