Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

I haven't read it, I'm sure it hasn't aged well, but it is such a ridiculously awesome setting and gave us Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris:

A weird part of the John Carter stories is how he isn't just some normal guy who accidentally goes to Mars, he mentions at the beginning of the first book that he's an amnesiac immortal. The book also has a conceit that the whole thing is a true story given to Burroughs by a real John Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
how about we just not have the toilet cthulhu

Squizzle posted:

ive read that verne was not at all a fan of wells's work, because he was like, “you dont even explain how anything works!!! you cant just say that it does!! that is not science!!!!!” and wells was like “lmao. hes invisible, boom. the machine goes thru time. eat my rear end”

Hard vs soft science fiction p much never changed much from this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

A weird part of the John Carter stories is how he isn't just some normal guy who accidentally goes to Mars, he mentions at the beginning of the first book that he's an amnesiac immortal. The book also has a conceit that the whole thing is a true story given to Burroughs by a real John Carter.
No matter how much I study fiction I'm always amazed at every single mythic figure-- monotheistic, polytheistic, modern, pulp, post-modern-- will invariably and inevitably take that one step "too far" for their premise and render themselves in some weird ubermensch territory.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

“I’ll have to get you to excuse me, my friend, I ain’t no hat-rack.”

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hard vs soft science fiction p much never changed much from this

i know i lost this fight long ago and resoundingly, but i liked it when hard and soft scifi were terms to describe whether the plot was driven by the “hard” or “soft”, ie social, sciences. hard science or soft science fiction, not hard or soft science fiction

there is a ton of great scifi driven by anthropological, sociological, linguistic, or even economic themes. ursula k leguin, chip delany, octavia butler, john brunner—some of the most amazing scifi writers of the 20th century were asking questions about culture, and society, and communication. and theyre applying concepts from the social sciences at the time to explore those questions

relevant to the thread topic, rokeya sakhawat hossein wrote sultana’s dream in like 1904(?) and its a rad piece of soft scifi

«2 »