Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

haha you think i need prompting to re-read barsoom books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pick posted:

I've never read any of those. Are they good?

theyre good like a stuffed pepper. its not fancy, but it takes a lil bit of craft to get it right, and its deeply satisfying. you wouldnt wanna eat a stuffed pepper every fuckin day, but you wouldnt complain if you had something as decent as a stuffed pepper almost every day.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ive read that verne was not at all a fan of wells's work, because he was like, “you dont even explain how anything works!!! you cant just say that it does!! that is not science!!!!!” and wells was like “lmao. hes invisible, boom. the machine goes thru time. eat my rear end”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hard vs soft science fiction p much never changed much from this

i know i lost this fight long ago and resoundingly, but i liked it when hard and soft scifi were terms to describe whether the plot was driven by the “hard” or “soft”, ie social, sciences. hard science or soft science fiction, not hard or soft science fiction

there is a ton of great scifi driven by anthropological, sociological, linguistic, or even economic themes. ursula k leguin, chip delany, octavia butler, john brunner—some of the most amazing scifi writers of the 20th century were asking questions about culture, and society, and communication. and theyre applying concepts from the social sciences at the time to explore those questions

relevant to the thread topic, rokeya sakhawat hossein wrote sultana’s dream in like 1904(?) and its a rad piece of soft scifi