Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was a series of five great games, two pretty good games, two mediocre at best games, and four pieces of crap originally published by Activision from 1999 to 2015. In its heyday, the series was wildly successful and singlehandedly kicked off the great extreme sports game trend of the 2000s. After a 5 year hiatus following a much-maligned attempt to cash in on their expiring license with Tony Hawk, Activision gave the surprise announcement of a complete remaster of the first two Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games, developed by Vicarious Visions, the developers of the Crash Bandicoot and Crash Team Racing remasters and several of the handheld ports of the original series, set for release in September of 2020.

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/5184156673?lang=en

In 1998, Activision wanted to capitalize on the growing popularity of skateboarding by making a video game about it, as video game companies are wont to do. They approached the small developer NeverSoft, who were then possibly most known for the Playstation port of MDK and Activision-published twin stick shooter Bruce Willis vehicle Apocalypse, to develop the project. Originally, the intention was to make a racing game, as was usually the style for skateboarding games. However, in an early prototype of the game, Neversoft included a small open area at the end of a track where the player could freely perform tricks after the race had finished. This portion of the game proved to be much more popular than the racing portion, so development was changed to make the game a more free roaming trick-based arcade affair. Later into development, Activision came into an agreement to use the name and likeness of professional skater Tony Hawk to headline the game. It certainly didn't hurt that a month before the game came out, Hawk became one of the biggest names in the scene after his legendary 900 at the 1999 X-Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pb8XFlRKsI&t=303s

Released in September 1999, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was an immediate hit due to its unique and accessible gameplay and its licensed soundtrack, leading to a yearly franchise. In 2007, after the release of Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, NeverSoft was sent into the Guitar Hero mines and the series took a year off as it was handed to rookie developers Robomodo and work began on...

Oh dear Lord.

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1009778949256179712

For a more in-depth look at the Tony Hawk franchise between 2009 and 2015, I recommend Matt McMuscle's video on the development and lead-up to THPS5, but as a summary, Tony Hawk had the idea for a motion-controlled board peripheral that had two games released for it. The thing did not work and nobody liked it. Then they tried to go back to basics with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, a weird homonculus of the first two games with a bad physics engine. Then, after a couple years, Activision noticed their contract with Tony was going to expire in 2015 and rushed out Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, an absolute trash fire that you can't even get anymore. Then Tony Hawk and Activision split, Tony made a bad mobile game, and all seemed lost. Until...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg

In May 2020, Activision announced Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, a remake slash remaster of the first two games developed by Vicarious Visions, as I said above. Bringing back all the levels, all the pro skaters, and most of the songs from the original two games, as well as referring to the original source code and bringing in some elements from later titles, it's promising to be a lot better at what it's trying to do than HD. It's set for September 4 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC, with a standard edition retailing for $39.99, a $49.99 digital deluxe edition with unspecified additional content, and a $99.99 collector's edition which includes the deluxe edition and an exclusive Birdhouse deck.

All digital preorders also include exclusive access to a demo of the first Warehouse level.

You said most of the songs, right? Is Superman in?

Just today, the official Twitter account for the game released a Spotify playlist of the full 1+2 soundtrack, which includes:

“Police Truck” by the Dead Kennedys
“Superman” by Goldfinger
“Jerry Was a Race Car Driver” by Primus
“New Girl” by The Suicide Machines
“Here and Now” by The Ernies
“Euro-Barge” by The Vandals
“Blood Brothers” by Papa Roach
“Guerrilla Radio” by Rage Against the Machine
“Pin the Tail on the Donkey” by Naughty by Nature
“You” by Bad Religion
“When Worlds Collide” by Powerman 5000
“No Cigar” by Millencolin
“Cyclone” by Dub Pistols
“May 16” by Lagwagon
“Subculture – Dieslboy + Kaos VIP” by Styles of Beyond and Dieselboy + Kaos
“Heavy Metal Winner” by Consumed
“Evil Eye” by Fu Manchu
“Five Lessons Learned” by Swingin’ Utters

So yeah it's got Superman and New Girl and When Worlds Collide.

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1031925678424371202

But I don't wanna wait until September! I wanna skate now!

Hey, that's cool! I got something for you.

THUGPRO is a mod for the PC version of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 that allows for easy online skating and modding, and it's super cool. The link contains a download for the mod, but you'll have to track down your own copy of the out of print THUG2 on PC.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfRYXUXNIs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if you didn't read the thread title and sing "holdin' on to what I am, pretending I'm a Superman" to yourself out of pure reflex, I just don't even know what to say

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 16, 2020

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Man, I am really hopeful but I've been burned before and keeping my expectations low. I can't believe Pro Skater HD was 7 years ago! I remember eagerly buying it, I putting about an hour into it, then pulling out my old Xbox and had a much better time playing the originals instead.

Vicarious Visions being the developer has me super hopeful though. I know it was 20 years ago, but the GBA port of THPS2 was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b26QnlpaVaA

Doesn't look like much on a modern high res monitor, but on the dinky little low res GBA screen it looked exactly as if they'd taken the PlayStation game and set the camera in isometric mode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The only part about this that makes me sad is, I'd thought 96 Quite Bitter Beings was in 2 'til I saw the OP; turns out it was in 3. :negative:

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Looking forward to the remake. I'm really glad it's gonna have reverts. Any word on THUG moves like sticker slap or natas spin?

Been having some fun replaying THUG1. The vehicle controls are super jank but barely even a part of the game. I think I'm the only person to enjoy THUG2 so it will be fun seeing how much is nostalgia when I get to it next.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

THUG2 is fine, but the story's aged like milk. I'm playing it right now after having played THAW and "finishing" THUG1, gently caress Eric.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

I've never played THAW. Gonna have to finally check it out. Is it worth finding a copy of the 360 version or is the PS2 version fine? I'm emulating so graphics and load time aren't really a concern.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, I've been playing the PC versions. They run pretty fine on modern systems and they're technically abandonware. I won't do a direct link due to possible :filez: but if you do some googling, you can track them down.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

So the PC versions as well as THUGPro. I have an issue where triggers on the DS4 get detected as an axis. This means I can't map rotate left/right to the triggers. Is there a fix for this? It's the entire reason I've been emulating instead of playing the PC ports.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you're using DS4Windows, disable it. Just the DS4 by itself works perfectly. Since they're older games, they have issues with Xinput controllers, but since the DS4 is a Directinput controller, it'll be just fine. THUG1 has issues with the directional buttons, but the stick works as it should.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kind of excited to play this game as an adult who medicates my ADHD and can memorize moves and lines instead of as a kid who flails wildly at the controller and hopes to pull off something cool

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xinlum posted:

I've never played THAW. Gonna have to finally check it out. Is it worth finding a copy of the 360 version or is the PS2 version fine? I'm emulating so graphics and load time aren't really a concern.
I always dug THAW and yeah I have a soft spot for THUG2 despite the story aging really badly

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want to like this attempt but THPS5 sucked so bad I just can't bring any hype. International Hustler and Black Sap Scriptures were good though, they're in my general everyday playlist.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The collectors edition has a full skateboard? Time for this 31 year old to go skate AND die!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TonyHawkTheGame/status/1287795921883820035?s=20

Oh nice, there's gonna be new songs, too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so theyre adding some skaters too thats cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5baEQbX6Y

also they had the original cast palling around for jack blacks channel

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I appreciate that it's not only respecting the past, but acknowledging the current scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TonyHawkTheGame/status/1288241546047795200?s=20

The Spotify playlist has been updated with the full soundtrack.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Who's really picking these new songs? It is Tony? Or did someone on the team do a quick run-through on spotify and just grab whatever?

Not a great list but there's a few good ones. I assume we'll get to choose our playlist like we could in the old games.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

noisey did a video with some of the new bands in the game. im glad they got andyTHPS to do gameplay footage at the end he still rules at the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4pF9PLeNAc&t=799s

Xinlum posted:

Looking forward to the remake. I'm really glad it's gonna have reverts. Any word on THUG moves like sticker slap or natas spin?

Been having some fun replaying THUG1. The vehicle controls are super jank but barely even a part of the game. I think I'm the only person to enjoy THUG2 so it will be fun seeing how much is nostalgia when I get to it next.
wall plant is in the game :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEkk81kK5JU

RATS! fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 29, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Deathwire is my new favorite song and it's really cool that rough francis is carrying on their family's lost history.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Is anyone playing the demo? Does it feel "right"? As opposed to Tony Hawk HD which didn't?

If only Activision understood what "demo" means, I could just see for myself instead of necroing this thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The reception is universally yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TonyHawkTheGame/status/1296569847766163456?s=20

Finally a peek at create a skater.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Young Tony isn't real, he can't hurt you

Young Tony:

https://twitter.com/TonyHawkTheGame/status/1300845914479669253?s=19

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

its supposedly out in about 15 mins on EGS (and its been out for a while if your xbox is vacationing in new zealand) :-)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm surprised to hear that, the egs in Australia has it pegged for release tomorrow. I'll be stoked if it is out early although I have a bunch of poo poo on today so I won't get much time in if it does release but if it's ready when I get home tonight I'm absolutely going to thrash it. JB hi-fi have their release date as today and they sell physical copies and constantly break street dates though so who actually knows

Also we have two Tony hawk threads but that's fine because there are two games!

update as of 11:11: no tony hawk. devastated.

e2: it was probably out this whole time and i'm too dumb to notice the warehouse demo was a seperate program in the epic games library. i probably could have preloaded it and been skating RIGHT NOW.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 4, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was out as of like 8:30 on ps4. it feels like tony hawk 1 and 2 with way more music

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Is the create a skater as limited as it seems, or am I just bad at using it? Are there really only pre-made faces? No sliders at all? Can you not change anything about your body besides what color it is and what it's wearing? Did they really just throw all the female faces and all the male faces together in the same menu, and that's how you choose your gender?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not a lot of outfits either, at least to start.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

If you come to the skate park, don't mess up my line you fukkin posers

Spergatory posted:

Is the create a skater as limited as it seems, or am I just bad at using it? Are there really only pre-made faces? No sliders at all? Can you not change anything about your body besides what color it is and what it's wearing? Did they really just throw all the female faces and all the male faces together in the same menu, and that's how you choose your gender?

There is no gender to choose. None of those faces belong to a gender, either.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
am I dumb, or is there no Freeskate/2 Minute Session/Speedrun outside of mutliplayer or career

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

am I dumb, or is there no Freeskate/2 Minute Session/Speedrun outside of mutliplayer or career

There's a freeskate option when you chose which career to start. I haven't used it yet so I don't know if it's timed or not.

Played an hour and it's smooth as hell. Fuckload of unlocks. I used to be able to rip off 2mil combos in THUG but it I had to restart twice to pull off the sick score in the Warehouse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, all talent I ever had at this as a kid is long gone lmao

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i feel like i'll get it back when ive got max stats again

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

im genuinely really happy they put in poo poo like https://twitter.com/aurahack/status/1301751899981406208 as a premade create a park

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

If you come to the skate park, don't mess up my line you fukkin posers

There is no gender to choose. None of those faces belong to a gender, either.

Nah, some of the faces auto assign you boobs. It's pretty obvious if you try to go shirtless.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Controls amazing, I suck intensely at it and its great.

You can still go up one side of that peninsula-looking bit of vert ramp in the back of warehouse at an angle and completely throw the middle finger to physics as you wrap around the thing in the air due to the way vert ramps lock your position :allears:

My favorite skater was always Bucky Lasek but wow until you get some stat upgrades playing with him is hard mode, he's so slow and gets no Ollie air for gap finding.

I love this game. I love the 2 minute timer keeping the levels feeling fresh. I love how many secrets there are due to the gap system. :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Hearing the censored version of Guerilla Radio in the opening is a hell of a nostalgia dopamine hit