Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

All gaps done finally. That kicker to railspan one in skate heaven was such a poo poo :argh:

I had to step away from that one for a minute. First time I got it I bailed, because of course I did
:argh: indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
really thought I was winding down on this game but I wound up randomly staying up all night just smashing out challenges

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 25, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Once they add that update for custom lobbies it'll be fun to just chill with a few of my friends.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I haven't gotten a party going yet, but isn't that the same as custom lobbies?

I've hit a wall, challenge wise, but I'm still spending way to much time on this. Just chilling with the multiplayer, getting annoyed at the dudes pounding out 10 million combos in jam. I get it, it's fun to curbstomp casuals, but take it to challenging if you're that good. I've been playing those a bit too and the average there are way less than those dudes dominating jam.
Ted talk and Wendy's parking lot etc. I'm still having fun with it.

I'm Motstand on PSN if anyone wanna goof around in a party. In a European time zone. Add me and let me know you're a goon in the message

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

At launch you could poo poo all over everyone in almost every mode in your average jam session with low six figure combo skills and I felt like a shiny golden god.

Then all the kids learned the game properly and I have to try again :(

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
:same:

I'm stuck with a twenty years old muscle memory of dominating a handful of stoned friends. Still able to bust out a six figure combo fairly regularly, but that won't cut it anymore.

The best is when you see the people busting out those lines from AndyTHPS' videos. Old man me is sitting here judging like where's the creativity? Back in my day...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
My problem is that there's been too much stuttering at times when it wasn't the very good players and it turned me away from trying online until they at least do something about the netcode. I did a split-screen match the other day and the performance took a hit there, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm about to smash my loving controller with this grey gap challenge. gently caress any challenge that requires a lip trick. I go through, get the grind gap, manual over to a quarter pipe, and because I'm not 90.000000000000000 degrees from the quarter pipe, it does a loving grind instead of a lip trick. I almost had it once, but leaned the wrong way and bailed at 98k. Almost had it a second time, but forgot that it was supposed to be 50k and ended the combo at 30k. Literally every other attempt so far has had me doing a grind. You'd think that if I grind the rail that goes straight to a quarter pipe, I'd be going perpendicular enough to get a lip trick, but nope, loving nose slide. I've tried forcing it with a special trick that is a lip trick, but it still just grinds anyway.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Dear Nintendo:
YOUR COCKSUCKING PRODUCT HAS REDUCED ME TO A GIBBERING MAN-APE WHOSE ONLY RESORT TO DEALING WITH THE ALMIGHTY loving GRIEF IT'S BESTOWED UPON ME IS TO SCREAM AND HURT MYSELF.

Seriously, I am jumping up and down and throwing my poo poo in handfuls at the loving television in some impotent primal effort to get the thing to work. I have been sitting here trying to enjoy your product - YOUR PRODUCT, YOUR GAME, YOUR CONTRACT BETWEEN DEVELOPER AND CONSUMER THAT THE CONSUMER WILL ENJOY YOUR PRODUCT - but instead the drat thing's been crawling out of the console and taking warm shits in my gaping mouth. Swear to god, you should have just added a little door to the console through which a hand pops out and flips me off, because I am insulted that your QA or testers or whatever brainless shitstove three genes short of a monkey FAGNUT signs your games through thought that a person with more than a single loving digit IQ could enjoy Story Mode Chapter 7. INSULTED.

WORK WITH ME HERE: The goal's simple enough! Come in first! Hey, that's fine, it's just like playing the grand loving prix; not a problem! Only deal is your cross-eyed team of tongue-slapping wunderkind decided to give the game every single loving advantage possible TO THE GAME rather than me.

How in the gently caress does Black Shadow - whose car is the heaviest and lamest piece of poo poo next to the Crazy Bear - suddenly become SO loving GOOD that he can stay in first without using a drop of boost? Huh!? Why!? You never see this shithead anywhere near the top loving 20 in a normal race. BUT HO HO HO THIS TIME HE'S MEGA-COCK, THE FASTEST human being IN THE WORLD. 1.21 GIGAWATTS MARTY, LET'S GO BACK TO THE loving FUTURE.

But it's not just Black Shadow with the magical powers, it's the entire loving lineup of racers! THEY'RE ALL FASTER THAN YOU. AND DON'T REQUIRE ANY BOOST.

But but but I of course, am still driving some piece of poo poo hamster-powered jalopy who guzzles it's entire energy bar in no less than four loving boosts! Add to this the entire course just got shitted on by some retarded space tiki volacano god and you've got a course full of hazards that'll drain at least 1/4 of your energy bar JUST BECAUSE IT CAN. WHOOPIE.

HURRR, you say. THAT'S JUST THE CHALLENGE. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY. Well gently caress that noise, you lopsided frankenfaced fuckfurter.

Tell me, please, why does the GAME have to win? Huh? What happens when the game wins and I lose? Is there some huge loving kegger waiting for it when it gets done? Is there money involved? Or perhaps the motives are more sinister. Maybe the game's family is being held hostage by another game and that game has it's cock in F-Zero's wife's mouth and he's holding a cell phone up to her and F-Zero can hear her pained moans and cries for help and the rear end in a top hat game then says, "You beat that cock-sucking human, or I'll blow her brains out." I COULD UNDERSTAND THAT. I CAN BE SYMPATHETIC.

It's not any fun if I can't win, you faggots. I want to move on. I want to unlock whatever piece of poo poo clown car you have hidden away from me so I can start racing and get pissed off with that too. When your game prevents me from fully enjoying the product I have bought you have failed in your loving mission to deliver a game. You lose! You break the contract! You contract the gay and loving DIE DIE DIE.

Don't worry dude, keep at it and you'll get there soon!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Very cool meme full of slurs.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I'm about to smash my loving controller with this grey gap challenge. gently caress any challenge that requires a lip trick. I go through, get the grind gap, manual over to a quarter pipe, and because I'm not 90.000000000000000 degrees from the quarter pipe, it does a loving grind instead of a lip trick. I almost had it once, but leaned the wrong way and bailed at 98k. Almost had it a second time, but forgot that it was supposed to be 50k and ended the combo at 30k. Literally every other attempt so far has had me doing a grind. You'd think that if I grind the rail that goes straight to a quarter pipe, I'd be going perpendicular enough to get a lip trick, but nope, loving nose slide. I've tried forcing it with a special trick that is a lip trick, but it still just grinds anyway.

Lip tricks are a bastard, that's for sure. I'm having most success nailing them by pressing down(+grind/lip). Left or right are an immediate grind and up seems pretty dicey as well.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It's worse the other way around for me, I like starting tricks off with a lip but it seems like the system for resetting balance meters doesn't apply to lip trips so no matter where you hit a lip in a combo if your meter is hosed from an earlier lip trick you almost insta bail with incredible speed. The only actual helpful thing I can suggest is kickflips and heelflips if you have space for them are great to quickly line you up properly but I'm not quite sure what gap you're talking about so it may be too cramped and also maybe you're already doing that because I'm trash

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i feel like this game is so much more apm intensive than anything else i ever play. sometimes if I play for too long at a time it feels like my hands unlearn how to play the game or even use a controller properly and I start intuitively doing things like hitting bumpers with my thumbs and then trying to rebind ollie to left trigger to see if that helps. (it didn't)

You know how sometimes a really wanky guitar dude starts fretting over the top of the guitar? It looks like that but even more stupid

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 26, 2020

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Right there with you on the lip tricks, but just wait for the Roswell Get There challenge :)

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Getting fingerfumbles and slamming in anger over here as well. Finally making the Over the Deck gap in Roswell only to miss the revert is pretty frustrating.
And not in a Dark Soulsian I suck kinda way. More like a DID YOU SEE WHAT GOD JUST DID TO US? way and long story short I ordered a new controller.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMia6k5gGY

This is fun, I thought it might end up spoiling things for levels I haven’t played yet but lol nope they fly through it so fast I have no idea what’s going on.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is fun, I thought it might end up spoiling things for levels I haven’t played yet but lol nope they fly through it so fast I have no idea what’s going on.

Stuff like this is exactly why that movie The Wizard was awesome. The dream of being able to play a game so good the creators are gobsmacked and give you recognition has been the dream ever since for some people.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LifeSunDeath posted:

Stuff like this is exactly why that movie The Wizard was awesome. The dream of being able to play a game so good the creators are gobsmacked and give you recognition has been the dream ever since for some people.
The guy commenting on the video (andyTHPS) was once a 14 year old kid posting VHS rips online of him doing 100 million point combos in THPS3. Neversoft noticed him and offered him a job as a play tester. He's worked on almost every Tony Hawk game and last year Vicarious Visions brought him on to work on the remake. Now he's the creator being gobsmacked by the player. Truly full-circle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel so vindicated when they get to the part of Philly where he does the lip tricks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HatJudge posted:

Getting fingerfumbles and slamming in anger over here as well. Finally making the Over the Deck gap in Roswell only to miss the revert is pretty frustrating.
And not in a Dark Soulsian I suck kinda way. More like a DID YOU SEE WHAT GOD JUST DID TO US? way and long story short I ordered a new controller.

I have literally never hit that gap correctly, I got it for the all gaps trophy with a landing that was juuuuuust short, like I clipped the lip and ended up starting a new combo with the acid drop that triggered because I had R2 held.

Fuuuuuuck that gap.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Not gonna lie, I had to check online to figure out how to manage it. Got the gap, but I'm not getting the get-there in the near future.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Hello, can anyone come to my house and do the 'get 10k points doing only a lip trick and a revert' - challenge? Closest I got after trying more than an hour was 9,6k points. It's driving me crazy. I'll ask my mom gf to make some snacks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Hello, can anyone come to my house and do the 'get 10k points doing only a lip trick and a revert' - challenge? Closest I got after trying more than an hour was 9,6k points. It's driving me crazy. I'll ask my mom gf to make some snacks.

Double tap buttons to change lip tricks and raise the multiplier?

I can’t remember if the challenge allows for it or not, because I didn’t think of it at the time and instead spent like 20 minutes throwing myself at the same lip over and over and trying to stay balanced for at least 5k points to pull it off.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

History Comes Inside! posted:

Double tap buttons to change lip tricks and raise the multiplier?

I can’t remember if the challenge allows for it or not, because I didn’t think of it at the time and instead spent like 20 minutes throwing myself at the same lip over and over and trying to stay balanced for at least 5k points to pull it off.

No, it has to be 1 lip trick. I even tried it in that one level where there are gaps if you lip trick certain halfpipes, didn't work.
I'm trying the same thing as you but can't stay balanced long enough :negative:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
God doing Tony Hawk's specialty skater challenge is a bitch

E: literally got it ten minutes after this on Roswell. Nice.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 29, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My new favourite place for specialty skater challenges is the hanger, you can hit all the grab/flip specials in the half pipe in the middle of the room then transfer out and land in a special manual (if needed) without a speed-killing revert with enough momentum to make it up onto the lip of the QP on either side, which is long enough to hit multiple special grinds (if needed).

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 29, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

shut up blegum posted:

No, it has to be 1 lip trick. I even tried it in that one level where there are gaps if you lip trick certain halfpipes, didn't work.
I'm trying the same thing as you but can't stay balanced long enough :negative:

I spent about 45 minutes doing that this morning. It just takes practice and a bit of luck. I was doing it on a high rail too to make the timing of the revert on the way down easier

You almost don't need to touch anything for the very start and just tiny tiny taps so it moves super slow. The luck part comes in the final wild swing going to the right so it takes you off the lip safely.

I've no idea if it made a difference but I had the best luck doing it with an axle stand after I assigned it. Also assigning the move to up or down + grind so it's easier to hit

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does anyone else have tricks that they always replace?
Madonna and Sal Flip are always removed ASAP for me, they're the two that seem to lead to most bails

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

History Comes Inside! posted:

My new favourite place for specialty skater challenges is the hanger, you can hit all the grab/flip specials in the half pipe in the middle of the room then transfer out and land in a special manual (if needed) without a speed-killing revert with enough momentum to make it up onto the lip of the QP on either side, which is long enough to hit multiple special grinds (if needed).

I created a custom park with a halfpipe and a rail 100000 feet in the air for those lmao

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

NonzeroCircle posted:

Madonna and Sal Flip are always removed ASAP for me, they're the two that seem to lead to most bails

i hate the grab tricks where the animation has you facing parallel with the ground but you let off and are in line, so naturally when you spin and do the trick you try and let off when your guy is facing perpendicular but nope now you've bailed. it happens on a bunch of special tricks, and I spent a few hours just practicing timing on spins and most tricks don't do this. I guess you really need to go off timing not visual cues but when my stats are just starting out the timing changes as you get more.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never learned to land a madonna comfortably even though it's traditionally the highest point grab (on account of the difficulty).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

I leave the Madonna on because it is the easiest way for me to get special. Either a 360 madonna off a vert, or a 180 madonna plus a kicker gap. It is tricky to land because you have to have the board perpendicular to here you want it to be before landing. When I'm first building up special, it's easy for me to remember to keep the board perpendicular to land it, but I always end up forgetting or am in such a rush I get confused and end up doing a madonna and bailing. So I'll use it to build special and then hopefully ignore it for the rest of my combo.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I always finish a grab trick with a quick flip trick. Then there's no problem aligning the board with wherever you want to land. Except for judo, the most stylish tricks of them all. Judo's should always be held until the last second.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

My grognard thing is moving a lot of the tricks back to their original mappings: I don't remember what up-left grab was in the original game, but I remember that up-grab was Japan, because I would always do it by accident trying to madonna. I also swap shove it and impossible, because swapping those in 3 never made sense to me. Impossible is done with the back foot, so it's down-flip, shove it is pushed with the front foot, so it's up-flip.

Is there a list of point values for different grabs? I can find it for the old games but not the new ones. What I got used to as a kid with THPS1 is basically that if it looks like you're going to bail a madonna you land it instead, and vice-versa. If they're still worth more points it's worth the effort to learn to land 'em

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Argh, I'm missing a plushie and I have no idea which one.

EDIT:
Well this explains a lot :doh:

quote:

It’s also worth noting that the alien plushies only appear in Skate Tours mode, not Free Skate or any other, so you have two minutes to grab them.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 4, 2020

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I turned free skate on for the one in skate heaven, bc volcano. Imagine my surprise when I finally fell in and went where the internet told me if find the green bastard :bang:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HatJudge posted:

I turned free skate on for the one in skate heaven, bc volcano. Imagine my surprise when I finally fell in and went where the internet told me if find the green bastard :bang:

I forgot to grab the VV while I was in there for the alien and had to do it again, sure hope you didn’t do that!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

big :same: from me on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
gently caress.

That's probably the one I'm missing