Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I was extremely pro-American Wasteland when it came out despite everyone else hating but honestly while the moves and skating itself is good its level design is pretty meh. Underground 1 is probably peak of the series in terms of levels while 1 is the peak in terms of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

DESA has two of the most shameless bits of product placement in a video game I've ever seen

Project 8 has an entire level that's a Jeep factory.

(segue)

Being the most recent Hawk game I've played, I've got Project 8 on the brain. The constant loading zones make it a jank fest (I recently learned that it was 60 FPS at launch, but so unstable that they patched it to 30), but the large open world is impressive none the less. Comboing all the way from one end of the map to the other without American Wasteland-style loading hallways is a true joy.

P8 adds two gimmicks. The first is Nail The Trick, where you enter slow motion and manually control board flips and spins with the analog sticks. It's not really useful, but definitely looks cool. The second is controllable ragdoll bails. You can send your skater flying all over the map with a broken bone counter/hospital bill. XD It's used in some objectives such as street bowling.

The soundtrack is one of the weaker ones, but it has a few toe tappers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2ImnAEqSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7cWi41XGCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smz4ykqp10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTgdvF3nik

One of the two weakest parts of P8 is the NPC faces. Tony looks like an inflatable sex doll dunked in varnish. The other is the difficulty, which is by far the highest in the series. There are "Spot Challenges" all over the map where you need to hit a grind/manual/lip trick/etc. line, earning higher grades the further you go. Getting higher than Amateur on some of them rivals the hardest tasks I've done in all of gaming. But then there's the Classic mode, which has one set of objectives for each region. In order to get Sick grade on them, you have to complete EVERY objective in a single 2 minute run. Even watching videos of runs, there's no way in hell I could have the patience to be that optimized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-rtqgfA3uY

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 20, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Whenever this thread gets bumped I hope it’s because there’s news about the remake getting updates/DLC.

It’s dead now isn’t it :sigh:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Whenever this thread gets bumped I hope it’s because there’s news about the remake getting updates/DLC.

It’s dead now isn’t it :sigh:

American McGay posted:

Welp, there goes the hope of THPS3 DLC or even a sequel using this amazing engine.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1352703818790793216

It's dead as hell and Blizzard-Activision will pay for their sins in hell.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
jess margera just said that a cky song was recently licensed for a Tony hawk game

99 quite bitter beings was in 3

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s going to be a new song for an App Store endless runner, you can’t fool me Activision.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John Romero posted:

jess margera just said that a cky song was recently licensed for a Tony hawk game

99 quite bitter beings was in 3
👀

Still seems unlikely with what happened to VV, but hell at least there's a bit of hope.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I've said this before and I'll say it again, theres always a good chance they just got another dev to do the next Tony Hawk game. :) I'm not giving up hope we'll see 3 and 4 and I pray Underground 1 and 2 beautifully remastered someday

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I checked out at P8 mostly on the basis I was locked to making male characters.
Nail The Trick was a nice idea but poorly implemented, it was about that time I defected to Skate instead. 2 was the best I reckon, 3 had some cool areas but was pretty DLC heavy if I remember right, and the Megapark style stuff was almost a bit too wacky to fit the tone of the rest of it.

Anyone here following Session? It's pretty dece on PC and the early access got me through loooottt of lovely Microsoft Teams meetings before the THPS remake demo/final fame came out. Somewhat sporadic updates it they are generally pretty big when they do land.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This dude’s CaS is the most 2006 thing I have ever seen

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It’s like he fell out of a Breaking Benjamin concert into a skate park

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I checked out at P8 mostly on the basis I was locked to making male characters.
Nail The Trick was a nice idea but poorly implemented, it was about that time I defected to Skate instead. 2 was the best I reckon, 3 had some cool areas but was pretty DLC heavy if I remember right, and the Megapark style stuff was almost a bit too wacky to fit the tone of the rest of it.

Anyone here following Session? It's pretty dece on PC and the early access got me through loooottt of lovely Microsoft Teams meetings before the THPS remake demo/final fame came out. Somewhat sporadic updates it they are generally pretty big when they do land.

Sorry for the triple post in this dead as hell thread, but I don’t think DLC really existed in 2001

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry for the triple post in this dead as hell thread, but I don’t think DLC really existed in 2001

They were called expansion packs at the time :corsair:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

I think you confused Skate 3 with THPS 3.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was talking about Skate 2/3 not THPS, sorry, possibly not clear.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

American McGay posted:

👀

Still seems unlikely with what happened to VV, but hell at least there's a bit of hope.

eh the work would already probably be done at this point. probably during the ps5 upgrade development

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I finally got around to buying and playing this. I seem to recall a lot of talk when it released that it was going to feel a lot like THPS2 did, but what the seem to have done is put THPS1 and 2 levels directly into THPS4. While this isn’t an awful thing, THPS4 was fine, it’s not what I expected.

I’m still playing the poo poo out of it, and my 15-20 year old muscle memory kicked right in which was cool. (I played an insane amount of THPS2, then 3 and 4 back in the day).

Is there anyone left playing the MP though? Takes ages to get a match, and it seems impossible to play the “ranked” mode at all. And if I do luck into a Jam session, I kind of utterly destroy anyone else in the lobby. :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OH MY GOD JIMMI MAC!?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AirRaid posted:

So I finally got around to buying and playing this. I seem to recall a lot of talk when it released that it was going to feel a lot like THPS2 did, but what the seem to have done is put THPS1 and 2 levels directly into THPS4. While this isn’t an awful thing, THPS4 was fine, it’s not what I expected.

I’m still playing the poo poo out of it, and my 15-20 year old muscle memory kicked right in which was cool. (I played an insane amount of THPS2, then 3 and 4 back in the day).

Is there anyone left playing the MP though? Takes ages to get a match, and it seems impossible to play the “ranked” mode at all. And if I do luck into a Jam session, I kind of utterly destroy anyone else in the lobby. :shrug:

What platform are you playing it on? I had more luck in MP before the next gen upgrades came out and I moved to PS5.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

American McGay posted:

OH MY GOD JIMMI MAC!?

Who are you that a) recognises me and b) knows my name (sort of)?

Feeling like a minor internet celebrity now (not really).

History Comes Inside! posted:

What platform are you playing it on? I had more luck in MP before the next gen upgrades came out and I moved to PS5.

PC. I can't play these games with a gamepad.

Yeah you heard me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gross, you don’t deserve MP then sorry

Pretty sure that’s the deadest platform of them all, a lot of people seem to have abandoned it once the news about Activision loving around with the studio was broken

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's Hammer lol.

I also got the PC version for keyboard supremacy.

The differences from actual THPS2 physics are disappointing to a purist like me, but they're also expected. People love going fast and doing insane billion point combos these days, and classic THPS2 is way too slow and floaty for that. I still hate how fast the movement speed is but it feels like a decent compromise between the old games and the absurdity of THUG2.

They got rid of corner zoops entirely though, which is lame. That was such a huge part of the THPS2 meta.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

American McGay posted:

It's Hammer lol.

The differences from actual THPS2 physics are disappointing to a purist like me, but they're also expected. People love going fast and doing insane billion point combos these days, and classic THPS2 is way too slow and floaty for that. I still hate how fast the movement speed is but it feels like a decent compromise between the old games and the absurdity of THUG2.

They got rid of corner zoops entirely though, which is lame. That was such a huge part of the THPS2 meta.

It’s the Ollie height that bothers me. I played a ton of THPS1 and the Downtown level was not made for it to be trivial to wallride onto a building, the level is built around going in a loop around the edge to get up there

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

American McGay posted:

It's Hammer lol.

Well ain't that a blast from the past. Keyboards FTW!

As far as I can tell the physics are lifted directly from THPS4, trick modifier/combo system and all. And yeah the ollie height combined with a wallride gets you insanely far, it really is trivial to get to high places.

Corner Zoops were awesome in a handful of places (I think the WR hangar score used them?) and just hilariously broken in others. The differences in the way your balance degrades is the saddest part, for me. Feels like you're hard locked out of doing the crazy long combos that were possible with THPS2's system. My biggest combos were like 4 minutes long, long enough to overrun the replay format's time limiations. I feel like the game goes to insta-bail levels of balance within a minute here which is disappointing. Unless there's some meta to lessen the effect I've missed.

It's a shame about the MP, and a double shame that you cant play Horse remotely. And a triple shame that CTF isn't there. CTF in THPS3 was the loving best.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AirRaid posted:

As far as I can tell the physics are lifted directly from THPS4, trick modifier/combo system and all. And yeah the ollie height combined with a wallride gets you insanely far, it really is trivial to get to high places.

Corner Zoops were awesome in a handful of places (I think the WR hangar score used them?) and just hilariously broken in others. The differences in the way your balance degrades is the saddest part, for me. Feels like you're hard locked out of doing the crazy long combos that were possible with THPS2's system. My biggest combos were like 4 minutes long, long enough to overrun the replay format's time limiations. I feel like the game goes to insta-bail levels of balance within a minute here which is disappointing. Unless there's some meta to lessen the effect I've missed.

It's a shame about the MP, and a double shame that you cant play Horse remotely. And a triple shame that CTF isn't there. CTF in THPS3 was the loving best.

People are consistently hitting the same old 4-5 minutes-long monster robot line combos they always have, FWIW.

https://youtu.be/d_SBbVBul64

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
what the hell is a corner zoop

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

AirRaid posted:

There is actually some meta to keep your balance. Rules 2 and 3 from this video helped me a lot with extending my combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SYiEMFddn4

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

kingcobweb posted:

what the hell is a corner zoop
Geometry glitch in THPS2 where wall riding into a corner gave you a bunch of extra height. Was used a lot for comboing and in general was just a fun thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1TT8ZvkVc

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spaz Medicine posted:

There is actually some meta to keep your balance. Rules 2 and 3 from this video helped me a lot with extending my combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SYiEMFddn4
Yeah but the problem is that meta sucks, or at the very least is wholly different than how it worked in the classic games. Spending as little time possible grinding and manualing makes for spastic robot lines.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

American McGay posted:

Geometry glitch in THPS2 where wall riding into a corner gave you a bunch of extra height. Was used a lot for comboing and in general was just a fun thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1TT8ZvkVc

That is an embarrassingly bad cover song

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yeah but the problem is that meta sucks, or at the very least is wholly different than how it worked in the classic games. Spending as little time possible grinding and manualing makes for spastic robot lines.

That looks exactly like every classic THPS monster combo video ever made, what?

Edit: poo poo, even the THPS2 video you yourself posted is exactly the same super-short grind and manual in combos around the exact same line over and over, with the only real difference being the corner glitch through the roof adding height for a longer grab.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 24, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

That is an embarrassingly bad cover song

Hey putting questionable music over THPS2 videos is a tradition that must be respected.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I tried to piece together THCS using the WayBackMachine a few months ago, but sadly most of the actual content is lost to time. I blame Gamespy file hosting going under.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I have a full copy of all the html pages, but the actual content, videos, replays and screens, I only have my own copies of my own ones I think, jumbled up in my old docs folder. Might have a few of the others...

I was just reminded of Dr Zaius' edits of Partybear's THPS3 combos. loving hell I hope I still have those.

E: I found a bunch of them but I dunno if the thread at large wants to be hit in the face with a shitload of crappy res 15 year old videos.

This is the pièce de résistance of the lot though -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ9lb9dMQWQ
Trigger warning: Early 2000s humour/memes

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 24, 2021

Getawhale
Jan 10, 2004

AirRaid posted:

I have a full copy of all the html pages, but the actual content, videos, replays and screens, I only have my own copies of my own ones I think, jumbled up in my old docs folder. Might have a few of the others...

I was just reminded of Dr Zaius' edits of Partybear's THPS3 combos. loving hell I hope I still have those.

E: I found a bunch of them but I dunno if the thread at large wants to be hit in the face with a shitload of crappy res 15 year old videos.

This is the pièce de résistance of the lot though -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ9lb9dMQWQ
Trigger warning: Early 2000s humour/memes

Hello Air, it's CharCoal. Nice to see you again!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Getawhale posted:

Hello Air, it's CharCoal. Nice to see you again!

Hey dude! Long time.

Maybe the real THPS1+2 is the friends I made on Planet Tony Hawk 20 years ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Doc did a speedrun of 1+2 shortly after it came out for old time's sake. The man's still got it after all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfkLXvR62MA

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
For anyone not aware, the guy behind Planet Tony Hawk has a book that details the ins and outs of the franchise.

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Hawks-Gaming-Domination-Definitive/dp/B08JLHQK13/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Slateman, Sairuk, Noe V. The gang's all here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

American McGay posted:

Doc did a speedrun of 1+2 shortly after it came out for old time's sake. The man's still got it after all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfkLXvR62MA

NIce. Among the other videos I found, I still have a copy of his original THPS2 speedrun, 22mins and change.