Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Tony Hawk series was cowardly for not going high concept with their story based entries after it was clear the grounded well was dry. Where is my cyberpunk hoverboard Tony Hawk game

E: Don't say Air Ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think the grounded well was dry so much as it was poisoned by the expectation of wacky hijinx when Jackass/CKY and all their assorted spin-offs and imitators became so pervasive in the culture, both mainstream and skateboarding.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Pretty sure THUG 2 was the first one I didn't get excited to play as it came out, and I still haven't touched it. I don't really see the appeal in that sort of humor at all. After that, I only played American Wasteland, and I barely remember anything about it at all.

I would like to see skateboarding games do more ridiculous things though, give me Mirrors Edge but skateboarding.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I have fond memories of THUG2 because it’s the only one I played online. A bit of high score hunting but mostly looking for glitches like trying to get out of the playable area, getting my character stuck in walls, just abusing the engine. good times

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Folks hoping for a Weirder Skating Experience ought to keep an eye on Skate Story. Def a Skate style game but it looks unreal.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's weird to say that considering the cars are such a small part of the game overall. There's like, what, four missions where you drive one?

those missions loving suck though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Any time you’re not on your skateboard, all the other characters should be asking “where’s your skateboard?”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
THPS didn’t need this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgsqc4fwujI

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

THUG2 is probably the most underrated entry in the entire series IMO. The level design is top notch and I loved Jackass and Viva La Bam back in the day, so I didn't mind that element too much. The worst part was Steve Os mechanical Bull thing in the Spain level. That was a bitch to control, but it was short atleast (much like the car parts in THUG1).

Plus, if you really hate the Jackass stuff, you can always just play the classic mode! Which has all the THUG2 levels, plus a great selection of classic maps from the first 3 THPSs, with the classic 2 minutes to do all the things style gameplay.

Also theres create a goal, (also in THUG1) which adds possibly infinite hours of fun making your own combo lines and stuff.

THUG2 might just be my favorite of the whole series. THUG1 probably beats it because of the story but THUG2 is a blast!

Isometric Bacon posted:

See, I was kind of the opposite. I loved that 4 allowed you to explore the levels whilst following an amazing combo basically every where you turned. In my mind they took the lessons learned from the best level in THPS3, cruise ship, and kind of extended it across the whole game.

Yeah this. 4 thru THUG2 is the peak of the series to me (hot take I know lol)

I hated American Wasteland's story mode because it felt like the tutorial never ends and the character creator was extremely limited. You couldn't even be a girl which sucks. :smith: Alltho weirdly enough, that's just the story mode character creator, the freeplay/classic modes had a different character creator and it was fine! Not as good as THUG2s character creator but decent enough. Plus much like with THUG2, it had classic mode (albeit with way less maps than THUG2 offered in its classic mode. The collectors edition of AW on PS2 had 2 bonus maps for classic mode so I recommend playing the collectors edition if you play it) so If you hate the story mode, atleast theres that.

I tried Project 8 on Xbox360 but just didn't vibe with it at all. All the magic was gone by that point. :smith:

I pray we still get the rest of the series remade up until AW someday. Or THUGPRO gets all the campaigns added with HD textures or something...

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 17, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The reason you couldn't be a girl in the story is because they wanted to have the romance between your character and the one girl and this was like 2007 so lesbians didn't exist yet.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The reason you couldn't be a girl in the story is because they wanted to have the romance between your character and the one girl and this was like 2007 so lesbians didn't exist yet.

the stories about someone from the midwest moving to LA without any money and getting into the counter-cultural scene because they don't fit in with their conservative hometown and got kicked out by their parents. Having them be gay wouldn't fit into the story at all!!!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Momomo posted:

Pretty sure THUG 2 was the first one I didn't get excited to play as it came out, and I still haven't touched it. I don't really see the appeal in that sort of humor at all. After that, I only played American Wasteland, and I barely remember anything about it at all.

I would like to see skateboarding games do more ridiculous things though, give me Mirrors Edge but skateboarding.

I think I had Wasteland (or "Skateland") for the DS because I liked the idea on a Tony Hawk game I could play while on the bus or making GBS threads (and/or), and I remember it being pretty solid because it excised all the story bullshit.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the stories about someone from the midwest moving to LA without any money and getting into the counter-cultural scene because they don't fit in with their conservative hometown and got kicked out by their parents. Having them be gay wouldn't fit into the story at all!!!

lmao you joke but honest to god THUG1 made me realize I was trans.

I was loving around with the character creator one day back in like 2012 trying to recreate myself but was never happy with what I came up with. I switched over to female just to see what I would look like as a girl, as a totally cis person does lol, so I ended up making myself as a girl and playing thru the game like that and it felt weirdly *right*. The rest is history.

So that's the true story of how Tony Hawk tranzed my gender :sickos:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

I was loving around with the character creator one day back in like 2012 trying to recreate myself but was never happy with what I came up with. I switched over to female just to see what I would look like as a girl, as a totally cis person does lol, so I ended up making myself as a girl and playing thru the game like that and it felt weirdly *right*. The rest is history.

You might say he kickflipped your gender

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You might say he kickflipped your gender

:discourse:

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

talk about TransWorld Skateboarding!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That’s loving cool.

Also though for me I grew up with Big Brother, jackass; cky, etc but one it started kind of getting thrown into the Thps games I sort of tuned out. 1-3 are my favorite. Everything else is noise.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Union thread/THPS crossover event: Vicarious Visions is unionizing. Do you think they’ll demand more THPS games in their contract https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/07/19/blizzard-albany-vicarious-visions-union/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Seeing the words "Blizzard Albany" hurts me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

lol that american wasteland's plot rests on the idea that a huge multi-acre plot of land next to beverly hills is completely worthless unless it has a skate park on it.