Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IUG posted:

I'm re-reading the Foundation Trilogy (just finished Foundation) as I picked it up as a hard cover at a B&N. Anything outside the triology isn't worth reading, right?

Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth have good stuff in them, but that good stuff is the speculation of possible future Earths and future humans rather than the plot or the characters. They're maybe most comparable with Dougal Dixon's "After Man" series in that regard.

Designated male space-ship pilot navy veterin protagonist Golan Trevize is utterly unremarkable as a character, but his growing connection with the gravitic space ship is intriguing in a conceptual sense — that First Foundation is heading almost imperceptibly toward a cyborg transhumanism.

Likewise, super-psychic-kung fu monk Stor Gendibal and placid Sura Novi show that the end of Second Foundation ideology is an Eloi and Morlock human divergence, and the whole Gaia brouhaha is roughly "what if everyone had powers like the Mule (but they could still have kids)?" And Foundation and Earth picks that up by showing how societies from Asimov's other series might fair after N thousand years.

The two books are definitely hampered by the assumption that the reader would be familiar with Asimov's other work (especially Earth) but if you are then they're an fascinating look at how things might have progressed.

It's also worth stating that the ending is really darkly humorous if read in light of That Thou Art Mindful of Him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, it's like, his name is on the front cover. You can't be too disappointed when you end up with a story that reads like he wrote it.

Prelude and Forward just suck, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

I don't have particularly high hopes for the upcoming Foundation series, but at least it's been Foundation from day one.

Yes, whatever else at least the underlying ground upon which it is built is Foundation.
There's no denying the overall basis on which the film is supported is the Foundation story.
It certainly was established and endowed with the purpose of being Foundation.

I dunno where I'm going with this, it seemed funnier before I wrote it out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CainFortea posted:

They changed the character who's most famous quote is "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" to be someone hauling around a gun. :( I don't think they're really building ON the foundation so much as near it.

Adjacent to Foundation was really one of Asimov's lesser books.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Brawnfire posted:

What is a robot besides a machine that sphinx?

:golfclap: