Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Put this in the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Alxprit posted:

It's the second sequence that made me cry in the series, the first being Torna: The Golden Country's ending.

Torna was pretty loving intense. Moreso because you know how many storylines play out in the main game. It also did a much better job establishing the idea that Alrest is an unpleasant place.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Andrast posted:

let us know how you're feeling when you get a bit further

Ok I'm on the other end of Xenogears Disk 3 the cutscene gauntlet and gotta tell you still feels pretty awful. The moment of triumph just didn't make up for getting emotionally stomped into the ground like that. Especially since it felt like we only got to the other end because of bullshit. So M can swap bodies, not just possess people? How were we able to handily defeat somebody who chaos dunked us before? Why didn't Z's jammer work? How did everybody get their powers back in the first place since they spent the last month being hosed because of the jammer? I'm just glad I'm on the other side of this and can continue playing the drat game. Also; Sophie's motivation is super relatable to me (seriously gently caress the natural order) but she chose something even worse as an alternative. And you can only sell out so many people before I lose all sympathy for you.

That having been said, N and Noah remind me of the Ending of 'Scott Pilgrim vs the World' (the movie, not the comic). Where N chose the power of Love...well, possession, and Noah chose the power of self-respect...well, respect for others in a sense. And the scene where N wiped out the City felt very Revenge of the Sith.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I just finished chapter 5.

Holy poo poo.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm on the other end of Xenogears Disk 3 the cutscene gauntlet and gotta tell you still feels pretty awful. The moment of triumph just didn't make up for getting emotionally stomped into the ground like that. Especially since it felt like we only got to the other end because of bullshit. So M can swap bodies, not just possess people? How were we able to handily defeat somebody who chaos dunked us before? Why didn't Z's jammer work? How did everybody get their powers back in the first place since they spent the last month being hosed because of the jammer? I'm just glad I'm on the other side of this and can continue playing the drat game. Also; Sophie's motivation is super relatable to me (seriously gently caress the natural order) but she chose something even worse as an alternative. And you can only sell out so many people before I lose all sympathy for you.

That having been said, N and Noah remind me of the Ending of 'Scott Pilgrim vs the World' (the movie, not the comic). Where N chose the power of Love...well, possession, and Noah chose the power of self-respect...well, respect for others in a sense. And the scene where N wiped out the City felt very Revenge of the Sith.

yes, Noah used Lucky Seven while interlinking, Mio was immune due to being part Moebius, Mio destroyed the jammer

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there any way to get pointed to the prerequisites for hero/ascension quests? I know the quests themselves are named once they're possible to get (in the Hero Roster), but I don't know how to unlock them.

also when the gently caress can I finish this "teach people in Teach's colony" quest goddamn it's listed as level 55 and I'm midway through chapter 5 and I still can't, am I missing some (!) dialogues or something

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there any way to get pointed to the prerequisites for hero/ascension quests? I know the quests themselves are named once they're possible to get (in the Hero Roster), but I don't know how to unlock them.

also when the gently caress can I finish this "teach people in Teach's colony" quest goddamn it's listed as level 55 and I'm midway through chapter 5 and I still can't, am I missing some (!) dialogues or something

have you done lanz's yet? you don't get that from the board but from listening to people if i remember right.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The teaching quest is basically "complete a bunch of other, lower level quests." You need to interact with the notification board thingy to see requests.

Also if you don't have access to the listed quest in the hero roster then it's just further down the line in whatever colony's side quest plot line.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The Stalker chain link finisher is so funny, Juniper deserved better. Just, posts up and carefully fires two (2) unremarkable arrows.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

FauxLeather posted:

The Stalker chain link finisher is so funny, Juniper deserved better. Just, posts up and carefully fires two (2) unremarkable arrows.

Juni really got such a poo poo deal. Worst introduction quest (and it's mandatory), a really not great ascension quest, and probably the worst class in the game.

At least the costume is kinda cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Chapter 5 spoilers.

I hate it when media twists the knife. Xenoblade twists it 360 degrees, pulls it out, then stabs you again and starts all over. Jesus gently caress we're in hour 2 of 'everything sucks and is hopeless' and it's pissing me off so much I am currently making this post while the loving cutscenes keep playing. Knock it the gently caress off video game what is your loving problem? Mio's saying some bullshit heroic melodrama right now and I just do not give a poo poo. Can I get back to playing the loving game and feeling empowered please? I'm at the point where I'd loving skip all this bullshit if I didn't want to not be confused after.

The main thing that bugs me in scenes like that is how the party will react to some huge piece of poo poo. They're better about it in XC3 than most games (like during the 5/6 cutscene gauntlet when Taion just tells Shania to gently caress off, but it's still frustrating.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RuBisCO posted:

Juni really got such a poo poo deal. Worst introduction quest (and it's mandatory), a really not great ascension quest, and probably the worst class in the game.

Hey, there's also (Zeon ascension)their love triangle with Kite and Zeon! I'm really mad that I don't get to see more of that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

turn off the TV posted:

The teaching quest is basically "complete a bunch of other, lower level quests." You need to interact with the notification board thingy to see requests.
Yeah, I interacted with the board and did uh, like three or four quests? I don't remember if it was three or four but it was definitely not six. Last one I did was the one where a guy wants to hang with Lanz and he's happy cause nobody liked him before that so that was probably #4.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I had to look up how to get the last hero. Does the game ever give you any clues about that one? I had done most of the quests, but having to go to Colony Omega seems kind of out of left field. I've been there for plot reasons but haven't had reason to go back. Maybe there's a yellow info bubble somewhere. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but by process of elimination that character has a skill that I want.

^^ The game doesn't give you new requests on the board for a long time. If I had to guess, it's down to storyline advancement. I couldn't finish that one off in chapter 5.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm on the other end of Xenogears Disk 3 the cutscene gauntlet and gotta tell you still feels pretty awful. The moment of triumph just didn't make up for getting emotionally stomped into the ground like that. Especially since it felt like we only got to the other end because of bullshit.

No you're absolutely right there is a huge emotional whiplash and I honestly feel the scenes were written way waaaaay too soul crushing and cruel

And it just goes on and on and on...

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 18, 2022

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nyoro posted:

No you're absolutely right there is a huge emotional whiplash and I honestly feel the scenes were written way waaaaay too soul crushing and cruel

And it just goes on and on and on...

It just makes it all the more satisfying when the villains' plans fall apart in the opening moments of Ch.6

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
It was so satisfying to bring the gunslinger class to the big field outside that one colony iota and AOE like 30 enemies at once. There were so many sound effects going off at once it sounded like pure white noise.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Took a break for a few days after finishing the story, postgame quests are already looking good nia adventures let's loving gooooo

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

QuantaStarFire posted:

It just makes it all the more satisfying when the villains' plans fall apart in the opening moments of Ch.6

ngl, the game had me hollering at 2am on a work day when I got to that part

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Combining the Flash Fencer skill that gives your talent art a 60% initial charge along with Noah's (post Chapter 5 ability spoiler) infinite sword seems hilariously broken. I didn't know why everything was instantly dying 15 seconds into the fight when I did the AOE attack until I realized that it can inflict doom and instantly kill any non-unique or story boss enemy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mea Tulpa posted:

^^ The game doesn't give you new requests on the board for a long time. If I had to guess, it's down to storyline advancement. I couldn't finish that one off in chapter 5.
Reasonable, I have also heard you can't finish No More Ether!! or whatever that stupid Valdi-adjacent quest is called until chapter 6

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darth Nat posted:

Combining the Flash Fencer skill that gives your talent art a 60% initial charge along with Noah's (post Chapter 5 ability spoiler) infinite sword seems hilariously broken. I didn't know why everything was instantly dying 15 seconds into the fight when I did the AOE attack until I realized that it can inflict doom and instantly kill any non-unique or story boss enemy.

at level 20 you start with the art fully charged

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

turn off the TV posted:

at level 20 you start with the art fully charged

Even better, can't wait for fights to only last 5 seconds

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

The full smash combo talent art also destroy bosses too. It also makes you invincible, which is a buff you can just freeze with Eunie's ouroboros form or a later class's talent art. What is balance lol

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ytlaya posted:

The main thing that bugs me in scenes like that is how the party will react to some huge piece of poo poo. They're better about it in XC3 than most games (like during the 5/6 cutscene gauntlet when Taion just tells Shania to gently caress off, but it's still frustrating.

Oh gods Yesssss It's why I don't play as many of these games as I used to. I am so sick of these doe-eyed idealistic dope protagonists who can't add 1+1 together and can only react to antagonists with either confusion or impotent hissy fits. Can you please give me some goddamn protagonists with an ounce of genre awareness and the ability to verbally gently caress with the antagonists instead of just reacting to them and spouting out trite nonsense?

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I also like how some party members goad an antagonist into attacking them instead of letting them run away. It happens more than once I'm pretty sure, the most memorable in chapter 4.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh gods Yesssss It's why I don't play as many of these games as I used to. I am so sick of these doe-eyed idealistic dope protagonists who can't add 1+1 together and can only react to antagonists with either confusion or impotent hissy fits. Can you please give me some goddamn protagonists with an ounce of genre awareness and the ability to verbally gently caress with the antagonists instead of just reacting to them and spouting out trite nonsense?

Yeah I tend to agree with this. Hearing a Xenoblade protagonist shout about some high level concept like "friendship" or "the future" is generally a signal for me to tune out. I'm way more interested in the relationships between characters, especially in this game which has easily the best party dynamic in the series, and one of my favorites of any JRPG I've played.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kingtheninja posted:

Didn't X have to censor an outfit for a kid because it was a dead or alive bikini?

Yes and the video game 'purists' were mad about censorship and not letting them fully objectify the 13(?) year old child party member like you could in the Japanese version. :reddit:

Darth Nat posted:

Get flash fencer to level 20 and that skill gives a 100% charge. And there's an even more broken thing you can do using it and some other classes too. The most broken setup in the game uses it: (ch6 spoiler and also straight up game breaking strategy) you can transfer any buff, including invincibility flags via an ouroboros link, have Mio share that buff with the entire party via Signifier, and then freeze the timer on that buff using another class's talent art. If you charge that talent art fast enough on the character (which is entirely doable) you can keep applying the buff timer freeze and it (as well as any other buffs applied the party) will just last forever if the are not single use stuff like power charge.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't get nerfed/fixed when they release the next DLC and its challenge fights.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

Her ascension quest Moebius owned though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Incidentally, do we know how tall any of the Xenoblade 3 protagonists are?

Height is kind of an important thing to me, I like to document it. It is very obnoxious 2 didn't release any character details along these lines but Xenoblade 1 DID, so I always expect it.

Here's hoping for good news.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah, though it also makes absolutely zero sense that the party can suddenly out-fight N after weeks in prison, who previously was so much stronger than the party that the party could barely even touch him, even in their Ouroboros forms. I guess you could maybe argue that N wasn't exactly in a reasonable state of mind during the latter fight.

susan b buffering posted:

Yeah I tend to agree with this. Hearing a Xenoblade protagonist shout about some high level concept like "friendship" or "the future" is generally a signal for me to tune out. I'm way more interested in the relationships between characters, especially in this game which has easily the best party dynamic in the series, and one of my favorites of any JRPG I've played.

XC3 is at least better about this than most, because Noah just despairs instead of spouting platitudes. Which is entirely reasonable given the circumstances, but it's still annoying that no one attempts to force the issue of "seriously though why are you doing this insane sadistic poo poo" (they ask why, but in more of an exasperated "why is this happening to me" way than an "explain yourself, there's gotta be some reason for this" one).

Taion (as mentioned before) was at least pretty good about things. His attitude towards N and Shania visiting them in prison was basically "gently caress off if you're just coming here to gloat."

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nyoro posted:

Incidentally, do we know how tall any of the Xenoblade 3 protagonists are?

Height is kind of an important thing to me, I like to document it. It is very obnoxious 2 didn't release any character details along these lines but Xenoblade 1 DID, so I always expect it.

Here's hoping for good news.

Almost as weird as Japan's obsession with blood types.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
I just got through the ch 5/6 cutscene gauntlet and honestly I loved that it felt absolutely soulcrushing and despairing? Like the game actually succeeds in making me feel poo poo from "I can't believe they're actually having a point this low" to "holy poo poo they actually killed Mio" to "Shania is the biggest bitch on the planet", if anything I kinda wish that they had gone in a bit harder in making it completely hopeless before the turning point by having the annihilator cannon fire and destroy the City before it all happens rather than immediately revealing that no actually everyone was okay. The melodrama was just played incredibly well, Sena actually finally has some payoff for her whole deal and Taion remains The Best by just telling both N and Shania to gently caress off with their bullshit. The realization that the M fight uses the flutes so much because we're fighting against Mio and not M is also incredibly cool.

I did take like a 3 hour break at the save point so I had time to let poo poo settle and since they well. Obviously weren't gonna keep Mio and Noah dead and unplayable for the rest of the game it was mostly just agonizing over poo poo that happened and wondering how the gently caress this poo poo would even work, would N and M somehow take their places, do we skip forward until their clones are aged up to their ages??? Aside from that though I kind of wish Shania got introduced a bit earlier and also just came with a Hero class that is just. Absolute garbage or something before permanently locking her off at the prison so that whole thing doesn't feel unbelievably rushed; Shania is neat and holy gently caress I can see why Ghondor being your bestie would make you decide the world isn't loving worth it. Lanz also still just... Hasn't gotten any real focus huh.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I agree, I also liked the way the ch 5/6 scenes turned out for the same reasons. Normally I don't have a lot of patience for super long cutscenes (not sure how I had the patience for Xenosaga years ago), but I was pretty engrossed by these. I did think the whiplash aspect others alluded to kind of cheapened things a bit since Mio comes back like 15 minutes later. It would have been tough for the game to carry on otherwise, also in terms of gameplay. XB1 and of course FF7 did push through with losing protagonists, but in those cases it was early on or the game had already separated the character from your team for a while. So I'm not sure what the alternative would have been.

Also, if you've just finished chapter 5, there's more to find out about what Shania's deal was.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, though it also makes absolutely zero sense that the party can suddenly out-fight N after weeks in prison, who previously was so much stronger than the party that the party could barely even touch him, even in their Ouroboros forms. I guess you could maybe argue that N wasn't exactly in a reasonable state of mind during the latter fight.

Don't they beat him when Noah decides to finally use what is basically a Monado? That seems pretty reasonable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Xeno3 ch5/6

I'm gonna hear that last "Miooooooo" in my head till the day I die, unfortunately

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I did not have nearly as intense of a reaction to these scenes as other people seem to. There was like no tension for me because by conventions of storytelling the end result was deterministic and defiance of that would have blown me away. I did guess one thing wrong though and I was pleasantly surprised: I had guessed that they would find Mio's new body in one of those creches and reteach it things 50 First Dates style, and not a Moebius body swap. That was good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I did not have nearly as intense of a reaction to these scenes as other people seem to. There was like no tension for me because by conventions of storytelling the end result was deterministic and defiance of that would have blown me away. I did guess one thing wrong though and I was pleasantly surprised: I had guessed that they would find Mio's new body in one of those creches and reteach it things 50 First Dates style, and not a Moebius body swap. That was good.

The thing is that the game goes out of its way to set that up as a possibility. It introduces the "There can only be six oroborus at a time" thing, then introduces a handful of Oroborus Candidates including one who gets a lot of screentime, and basically spends a huge chunk of time setting up "Yes, Mio can actually die here without breaking the mechanics because there are ways to replace her."

Even the start of Chapter 6 with all of Noah's flashbacks can be read as "Here is what made N break, are you going to do the same thing" until the moment Mio reveals herself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SettingSun posted:

I was honestly expecting them to have the original Mio die and Möbius Mio take her place at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that the game goes out of its way to set that up as a possibility. It introduces the "There can only be six oroborus at a time" thing, then introduces a handful of Oroborus Candidates including one who gets a lot of screentime, and basically spends a huge chunk of time setting up "Yes, Mio can actually die here without breaking the mechanics because there are ways to replace her."

Even the start of Chapter 6 with all of Noah's flashbacks can be read as "Here is what made N break, are you going to do the same thing" until the moment Mio reveals herself.

That might work better if the alt Ouro gang didn't look like Shania and a bunch of NPCs