Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was having trouble with one of the Restricted Time Attack challenges (Third Wheel) so I looked up strategies online. The strategy boiled down to “focus on one enemy at a time and use a chain attack including multi-target Arts and talent arts” and I feel like that’s the pro strategy for all of the challenges and the game in general really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just started playing this and wow they caught me off guard at the end of chapter two. A darker game then I thought it would be.

Also there are so many side quests. I'm about 6hrs in and on chapter three because I'm running around trying to finish them before leaving this zone.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s helpful to use a guide since there are so many. Also, if you feel like you are burning out on side quests, as long as there isn’t a clock icon next to the name, it won’t expire. Just move on and come back.

Another helpful tip is that you want to talk to each of the named NPC’s several times. Once you have met all of them and have them on your Affinity Chart, go back and talk to each of them again to create new connections. That will help you increase your affinity with the different areas quicker and unlock more side quests, if that’s your thing. But again, don’t do it if you don’t want to. It’s easy to get overwhelmed and burn out, unfortunately.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the advice Bobman!

Right now I'm staring at the screen murmuring, "Erik or Andreas? Hmmm...."

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 5, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That one ends up bad either way, look instead at a guide to see which reward you’d rather have lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Neither looked that great so I just let her follow her heart.

I know it's something that's mentioned on the first page, but it's quite interesting that the game was localized into British English. British accents are common, but I can't think of a game I've played that didn't use US or Oxford English text before. I see a word like 'apologise' and go, "huh".

I assume from it's lack of mention in your prior advice the side quests have no impact on the main plot and/or ending as they do in some games?

Got my third party character now and they're very chill with running around collecting bugs in light of the circumstances lol.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

OhFunny posted:

Neither looked that great so I just let her follow her heart.

I know it's something that's mentioned on the first page, but it's quite interesting that the game was localized into British English. British accents are common, but I can't think of a game I've played that didn't use US or Oxford English text before. I see a word like 'apologise' and go, "huh".

I assume from it's lack of mention in your prior advice the side quests have no impact on the main plot and/or ending as they do in some games?

Got my third party character now and they're very chill with running around collecting bugs in light of the circumstances lol.

Yeah they say in one of the tutorials that the affinity of NPCs to each other doesn't really affect anything (besides your rating with the town), it's just there coz you might like to see how their stories unfold.

I heard the reason Xenoblade Chronicles was all in British English was because it was never intended to be released in the US and was localised entirely by the European arm of Nintendo. It's definitely not something you see very often with JRPGs.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

And I love it! It's nice to hear "fresh" voices

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah it was localized by Nintendo of Europe and originally only released there. They finally brought it to NA after huge fan demand, along with The Last Story and Pandora’s Tower. It does set it apart from other games from that time, for sure.

The only famous person was Jenna Coleman (Melia) who went on to play Clara on Doctor Who. But at the time she was totally unknown.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I restarted Xenoblade 2 the other day, and I'd forgotten that flora heals an aching soul, but I'm glad the game could remind me.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ajkalan posted:

I restarted Xenoblade 2 the other day, and I'd forgotten that flora heals an aching soul, but I'm glad the game could remind me.

Fiora heals an aching soul.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

froglet posted:

Yeah they say in one of the tutorials that the affinity of NPCs to each other doesn't really affect anything (besides your rating with the town), it's just there coz you might like to see how their stories unfold.

I heard the reason Xenoblade Chronicles was all in British English was because it was never intended to be released in the US and was localised entirely by the European arm of Nintendo. It's definitely not something you see very often with JRPGs.

Now that I'm deeper into the game I see that there are stories unfolding through the side quests like you said and they are not just fetch/kill quests to grind for exp.

I think what threw my initial impression off was Shulk endless repeating, "That sounds like a problem." "Glad everything worked out." at the start and end. It might have been better to just have the characters not comment at all on the NPCs problems instead of using the same dialogue over and over for such different goals.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Those comments are one of the ways you build affinity among your team so they’re good.

There are a lot of cool side stories, especially in Colony 6. The Nopon ones are... uh... something.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

OhFunny posted:

Now that I'm deeper into the game I see that there are stories unfolding through the side quests like you said and they are not just fetch/kill quests to grind for exp.

I think what threw my initial impression off was Shulk endless repeating, "That sounds like a problem." "Glad everything worked out." at the start and end. It might have been better to just have the characters not comment at all on the NPCs problems instead of using the same dialogue over and over for such different goals.

Try mixing up your party members - some characters will step in and say different stuff for the quests.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well I beat XBC1 and Future Connected, and that gave me the motivation to pick up XBC2 again. (after getting Zeke, cramming core crystals down his throat up to his cap, and getting only generic blades killed my drive for it)

Few notes:

1) Who the hell thought putting fast travel on X was a good idea. Every time I want to do some menuing I end up having to back out of that and waiting before the game accepts the next menu.
2) I already miss 1DE's markers for fetch quest items.
3) Ursula I swear to god if I didn't already have around 100 stamps your rear end would be on the bench forever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BisbyWorl posted:

Well I beat XBC1 and Future Connected, and that gave me the motivation to pick up XBC2 again. (after getting Zeke, cramming core crystals down his throat up to his cap, and getting only generic blades killed my drive for it)

Few notes:

1) Who the hell thought putting fast travel on X was a good idea. Every time I want to do some menuing I end up having to back out of that and waiting before the game accepts the next menu.

It was probably the same person who thought up the "pressing the d-pad slaps a giant controls overlay across the screen" thing

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Few notes:

2) I already miss 1DE's markers for fetch quest items.
3) Ursula I swear to god if I didn't already have around 100 stamps your rear end would be on the bench forever.

Ursula's quest is something I absolutely refuse to ever do again. On my next game cycle she's getting permabenched.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked my game up again and made it up to the final point of no return, then went and did some side quests. Expert Mode rules since I don’t have to rush to fight the end boss while I’m on a lower level, I can just reduce everybody’s level to match his.

I’m a little confused I guess about Rare (rank V) Ether Crystals. Are the only places to get them Bionis’ Interior and Ether Mine once you reconstruct Colony 6? Obviously enemies can drop them too (I have like 100 Rare Telethia Crystals) but that seems kinda random I guess. All the strategies for beating high level boss enemies revolve around Night Vision and some other gems and I’m like where the gently caress do I get me some of those!? :iiam:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only places with Rank V mining are Colony 6/Ether Mine, Bionis Interior, and a new section of Tephra Cave. If it's not on one of those areas it's a monster drop. Night Vision, for example, comes from the superboss in Fallen Arm, Ancient Daedala so, uh, good luck with that one.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought the definitive edition when it came out but I've only been getting into it recently. I've been having fun with it but I feel like maybe I've missed some tutorials maybe idk.

In battle, does your HP regenerate if you don't get hit? I was playing with Sharla and it felt like I was struggling at times until I looked up some character guides on youtube which pretty much said that she isn't that great which is a shame as I liked her. But as an AI it felt like she never really healed me. I switched her out for Rikki and the game seems to be much easier?

Should I be switching out using different people as the main party member, I've got to errr Melias city or whatever and I've only used shulk as the main party member.

The skill link stuff I've got no idea what I should be doing, it uses coins or something?

Also I seem to be picking up a lot of random weapons, are there any of these that I shouldn't just sell? Like some weapons have different colours and sell for more even though they have the same stats?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I picked my game up again and made it up to the final point of no return, then went and did some side quests. Expert Mode rules since I don’t have to rush to fight the end boss while I’m on a lower level, I can just reduce everybody’s level to match his.

I’m a little confused I guess about Rare (rank V) Ether Crystals. Are the only places to get them Bionis’ Interior and Ether Mine once you reconstruct Colony 6? Obviously enemies can drop them too (I have like 100 Rare Telethia Crystals) but that seems kinda random I guess. All the strategies for beating high level boss enemies revolve around Night Vision and some other gems and I’m like where the gently caress do I get me some of those!? :iiam:

The best gems mostly come from super bosses and similar enemies (like the giant dinosaurs in Makna).

They do tend to have much higher drop rates for the stuff you want so you don’t need too many of each, thankfully.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

track day bro! posted:

I bought the definitive edition when it came out but I've only been getting into it recently. I've been having fun with it but I feel like maybe I've missed some tutorials maybe idk.

In battle, does your HP regenerate if you don't get hit? I was playing with Sharla and it felt like I was struggling at times until I looked up some character guides on youtube which pretty much said that she isn't that great which is a shame as I liked her. But as an AI it felt like she never really healed me. I switched her out for Rikki and the game seems to be much easier?

Should I be switching out using different people as the main party member, I've got to errr Melias city or whatever and I've only used shulk as the main party member.

The skill link stuff I've got no idea what I should be doing, it uses coins or something?

Also I seem to be picking up a lot of random weapons, are there any of these that I shouldn't just sell? Like some weapons have different colours and sell for more even though they have the same stats?

Depends on what arts you've got on Sharla - if she only has a group heal option, I believe if you're not in the right area around her you won't get healed. She's not a great character in that your capacity to beat enemies rapidly makes healing redundant and she hasn't got enough attacks to really justify keeping her as a party character in the end game, but I like her.

Healing can also depend on your characters armour and weapons and which gems they have equipped - there's weapon gems Arts Heal, and armour gems Aura Heal and Damage Heal that heal you when you use arts, have an aura or take damage specifically.

You can also get a regen buff from Melia if you're close enough to her and she does Summon Aqua.

Blue weapons/armour = have slots you can put gems into for various effects
Pink armour = already has gems in them that you can't remove/replace.

If you have 3 weapons and 1 is higher priced odds are that one has more gem slots than the other two.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

Depends on what arts you've got on Sharla - if she only has a group heal option, I believe if you're not in the right area around her you won't get healed. She's not a great character in that your capacity to beat enemies rapidly makes healing redundant and she hasn't got enough attacks to really justify keeping her as a party character in the end game, but I like her.

Healing can also depend on your characters armour and weapons and which gems they have equipped - there's weapon gems Arts Heal, and armour gems Aura Heal and Damage Heal that heal you when you use arts, have an aura or take damage specifically.

You can also get a regen buff from Melia if you're close enough to her and she does Summon Aqua.

Blue weapons/armour = have slots you can put gems into for various effects
Pink armour = already has gems in them that you can't remove/replace.

If you have 3 weapons and 1 is higher priced odds are that one has more gem slots than the other two.

She has all 3 healing arts on, I'm pretty sure. It's a shame she isn't that good because I like the idea of a cool medic sniper.

Rikki is a 40 year old dad with a voice from a bad british kids show and he's also the legendary heropon which makes him the better choice I guess.

So I can sell most of the weapons and armour thats lower levels? It's not like I wont miss out on anything, I've also got so many ether crystals that my inventory is full. Is there a good guide on making the gems? I did get the portable furnace thingy a while back.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Riki has a healing move that hits a fan-shaped area and heals more if you have debuffs, plus he has a skill where he heals more if your teammate has under 50% hp. Riki is cool in that he can literally fill any and every role. Healer? DPS? Tank? His skill set can be adjusted to do whatever you want. He can be very fun to control. Sharla can keep your team in the fight with healing/support but won’t do much damage. Also how loving dumb is her close-range move that causes Daze? Thunder Bullet is very good because it’s ether-based but otherwise she’s severely lacking in offense.

You should definitely be controlling different characters to shake things up, plus then you build affinity with different characters. Don’t worry about using Shulk in case you really need him for certain Monado skills like Purge or Enchant. Pretty much any party is viable, except maybe Melia/Shulk/Sharla since none of them are very good at tanking. Melia can be hard to figure out at first but she’s actually one of the best characters in the game as long as you are controlling her. Everybody else is pretty easy to figure out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gem crafting can be a hassle. Sell low level crystals once you have access to better ones. A crafting session consists of your characters yelling at each other while heating the crystal(s) until they turn into gems. Strong flame will heat up one of the skills from the crystals a large % and medium will heat them all a smaller %. More on gentle later.

Your goal is generally to get the heat up over 300% because then the gem will be the next rank up at maximum potency and split into two gems. To do this you’ll want to use two characters with high affinity, I like to use Shulk with Reyn since Shulk can get into a fever easier and has a passive skill that increases the chance further. Reyn is the best at Strong flame, also. It also helps if the crystals/cylinders you’re using have only one or two skills on them so the crafting is more focused.

You can also split crystals into cylinders if the skill doesn’t hit 100% heat by the end of the crafting session, which can be advantageous since having two cylinders for the same skill that are both at like 80%+ will start you at a high % and make it much easier to hit that 300% mark. The cylinder gauge determines how many cylinders you can make at the end of the session, it fills up with gentle flame. Each cylinder will only have one skill.

I’m rambling a bit but those are the basics. You don’t need to worry too much about it until late in the game, although if you plan to beat a lot of unique enemies, especially in areas that become unavailable later in the game, you’ll want good gems. Especially Spike Defense, gently caress spikes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've even had Melia in my party yet, oof. I'll definitely have to switch it up.

I'm glad the game has so many sidequests and you can just warp to wherever pretty much any time. I feel like the story bosses up to the point I've been playing have been easier than the sidequest ones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you wanna put Melia in the party, for the love of god take the reins on her directly and don't let the AI use her. AI Melia is baaaaaaad and doesn't engage her primary means of attack with the default AI settings, which is to dispell her summoned elements as offensive attack magic, instead preferring to keep the elements up as passive buffs. If you use the AI tactic to force the AI to attack, the AI is marginally better, but she's way better off in the player's hands.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

summoooooooon bolt
summon FLAre
summon COPYYYYYYY

definitely play as her if you're using her, really surprised the otherwise superb remaster didn't tweak her ai to make her at least functional as AI

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

She can get the advanced manual for Summon Bolt super early and it owns. So loving powerful. Summon Flare, Summon Ice & Summon Wind are also good. Spear Break+Starlight Kick is the best though. Forced topple is :discourse:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Just make sure to pull Battle Soul off of Shulk's bar if you control Melia when in a party with him, just to stop him from killing himself every time his talent gauge isn't full.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Riki has a healing move that hits a fan-shaped area and heals more if you have debuffs, plus he has a skill where he heals more if your teammate has under 50% hp. Riki is cool in that he can literally fill any and every role. Healer? DPS? Tank? His skill set can be adjusted to do whatever you want. He can be very fun to control. Sharla can keep your team in the fight with healing/support but won’t do much damage. Also how loving dumb is her close-range move that causes Daze? Thunder Bullet is very good because it’s ether-based but otherwise she’s severely lacking in offense.

You should definitely be controlling different characters to shake things up, plus then you build affinity with different characters. Don’t worry about using Shulk in case you really need him for certain Monado skills like Purge or Enchant. Pretty much any party is viable, except maybe Melia/Shulk/Sharla since none of them are very good at tanking. Melia can be hard to figure out at first but she’s actually one of the best characters in the game as long as you are controlling her. Everybody else is pretty easy to figure out.

What's a good Riki squad? I've been using Reyn, Shulk and whoever else. Reyn is a beast and Shulk is ehhhh but I need him for the story related Monado crap. Riki keeps getting destroyed if I try tanking with him so I assume I need more skills/gems later on. As a healer he seems mediocre right now, he needs his 3 debuffs up to do anything and the AI is just OK at managing his heals. I just feel like I'm better off with Dunban slotted in and killing things way faster but perhaps this will change later on, I'm still in Makna Forest.

Melia is another character where the AI is so bad I can't justify using her unless I do it myself. They could've at least attempted to address some of this in the DE instead of just adding the UI/quest stuff and calling it a day.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Shulk Reyn Riki and Shulk Dunban Riki are both very reasonable squads.

Melia Dunban Riki is a strong late game option when you are confident/comfortable ditching shulk (which you should get comfortable doing, IMO.)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

As a MMO toucher I'm used to the usual tanks = heavy armor, melee dps = medium armor, caster dps/healer = light armor

But the more I shared at the numbers (and checked some guides to make sure I wasn't massively wrong) it seems light armor is just better for everyone expect in some edge cases?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

First of all, is there some meme I’m missing about this Tweet:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1356702910428680198?s=21

Second, Riki’s bread and butter are:

Sneaky and Bitey Bitey: hit from behind for extra damage & extended Bleeding for damage over time.

Freezinate, Burninate & Lurgy: more damage over time. Freezinate hits one enemy but has a very short cool down. Lurgy hits a fan-shaped area in front of Riki and Burninate hits all around him. All three cause damage over time of different kinds, all of which stack with each other and Bleed.

So he can hit enemies with tons of different DoT moves to drain enemy HP. Combine with stuff like Chill/Blaze/Poison Plus and you can do a lot of damage very quickly.

I like Hero Time a lot because it prevents tension from dropping for your whole party. The random stat boost is just a bonus. He has some other decent stuff Roly-poly which forces topple or binds the enemy. He has some other good physical attacks like Tantrum and let me tell you, the one that confuses Mechon (Peekaboo?) is insanely good for about 1/3 of the game. I never gave it a chance before but confuse will stop enemies from charging their attacks if you have a vision which is incredible. The only issue is that many are immune.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

OhFunny posted:

As a MMO toucher I'm used to the usual tanks = heavy armor, melee dps = medium armor, caster dps/healer = light armor

But the more I shared at the numbers (and checked some guides to make sure I wasn't massively wrong) it seems light armor is just better for everyone expect in some edge cases?

Eventually Melia gets a skill that gives bonus Ether Defense the heavier the armor you wear, if you skill link that onto Reyn or Sharla it’s very helpful. Light is good for Melia, Riki, Dunban* and Shulk. Medium is good for Shulk & Sharla. Heavy is good for Reyn & Sharla.

*Or you could roll with the naked Dunban gimmick. He has skills that make him draw more aggro and give him bonus agility if he wears no armor. I did it for large portions of my current playthrough and it was pretty good, nothing could touch him. Later in the game it isn’t really good any more, you need the ether defense and gem slots.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I thought the thread had leaped up because we have a new announcement.
I feel like playing DE more than anything made me want a new xenoblade game.

We've recently gone through XB2 again and it was kinda disappointing to see my girlfriend get the exact same blades as I did. Perun, Electra and others in the same order and everything. I guess the save file really does have a seed on it!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

First of all, is there some meme I’m missing about this Tweet:

That's Dunban Over There has been somewhat regular on NoA twitter since the release of the game. I don't know why they latched onto it but I find it funny regardless, just because

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Alxprit posted:

That's Dunban Over There has been somewhat regular on NoA twitter since the release of the game. I don't know why they latched onto it but I find it funny regardless, just because

I said it earlier in the thread but Dunban is voiced by a pretty famous British comedy actor and it's still absolutely bizarre that it's him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Taear posted:

I said it earlier in the thread but Dunban is voiced by a pretty famous British comedy actor and it's still absolutely bizarre that it's him.

I mean he's not that famous, it's hardly like they got Richard Ayoade or Bill Bailey for the role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing Rufus Jones has been in, pretty famous is very generous.

Seems like he hates Boris Johnson so by my reckoning he's pretty dam cool