Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aerox posted:

That fixed it; thanks!

Right on man! I really wish the UI wouldn't stretch on 21x9 resolutions.

Edit: Ok, so...Soul Voices...I think I'm getting the hang of them. Basically, my team members will perform a callout, and I use an ability (color coded even) that matches what they're saying, and there's a buff/debuff that occurs, based on how you're setup in the Soul Voices menu. Is this about right? Am I missing anything important? Seems like a really deep combat system.

Also, is Skell combat as complex/rewarding as the on-foot combat? Because this is easily one of my favorite combat systems.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There is a severe sidequest drought in later stages of the game, and the few I have remaining need me to kill lvl 95 enemies. I'm currently lvl 80, I've been slaughtering swamp gorillas and this grind is already boring me to death.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

There is a severe sidequest drought in later stages of the game, and the few I have remaining need me to kill lvl 95 enemies. I'm currently lvl 80, I've been slaughtering swamp gorillas and this grind is already boring me to death.

Assuming you're talking about XB:DE just turn the difficulty down to easy and fight some 90+ trash mobs to close the distance, you can always go back to normal for the fights that count

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Did you use up all your bonus EXP from expert mode? You should definitely try to kill higher level enemies... you can trade Scarlen at Satorl Marsh (5*) or Nic (Colony 6, 5*) for Night Vision V gems which can allow you to kill enemies 10 levels higher than you at night. Combine that with Riki’s skills that reduce cooldown and increase strength at night and it’s not too bad. Kill some dudes in Tephra cave or high-level Telethia for big exp, AP and SP bonuses.

Also killing enemies with chain attacks gives you bonuses, too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/mynintendonews/status/1363903398685237249?s=21

It had sold just under 2m copies as of Dec 31st, 2020 so I’m sure it’s passed the 2m mark by now. Bring on a sequel and/or port of XCX drat it!

Ugh I just started Astral Chain and Bravely Default II comes out Friday when am I gonna have time to do NG+ in XC2??

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I managed to wrap up XBC1 + Future Connected. It was a fun trip all around, though I wish Future Connected had given a little more exposition on what the antagonist actually is, and its motives.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I am 20 hours into XC2 and I'm desperate to get a fourth party member so I can kick Tora to the curb, but it's like the game is determined to keep teasing me and insisting that the perverted maid fetishist Nopon is a permanent and important part of my team. :geno:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tora is too horny, but you can customize Poppi to do absolute warcrimes later on in the game. You'll get your 4th friend eventually, hang in there.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Darth Nat posted:

I am 20 hours into XC2 and I'm desperate to get a fourth party member so I can kick Tora to the curb, but it's like the game is determined to keep teasing me and insisting that the perverted maid fetishist Nopon is a permanent and important part of my team. :geno:

The robot girl is a permanent and important part of the team.
Unfortunately she comes with Tora attached so I feel your pain, I too kick him out ASAP.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You'll get your fourth party member in Mor Ardain and they make a really good dodge based tank so it's not toooooo long that you're stuck with the little creep.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poppi is the true hero of the story, but even aside from personal opinions on Tora, it kind of sucks to have one party member limited in number of blades compared to the others for so long.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It sucks so much rear end that Poppi is really good but only if you submit yourself to the trashfire that is Tiger Tiger

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It also irrationally bothers me that there's a party member named Tora and a faction named Torna.

And I just got to the one-eyed monster scene and... man this game is anime sometimes isn't it :psyduck:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Replace Tora with Riki imo, replace Poppi with mecha-Riki.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Poppi is absurdly good, especially her upgraded models, but yeah the Nopon in general are really awful in XC2. There was very little “meh meh meh” in the first game or XCX, not sure why they made that the Nopon signature phrase.

Speaking of XCX, Tatsu was worse than Tora if you can believe it. Easily the second worst thing about that game (the worst being the unfinished story)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the never-ending "Lin wants to eat Tatsu lul" skits after every single story beat were the worst thing ever

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Augus posted:

the never-ending "Lin wants to eat Tatsu lul" skits after every single story beat were the worst thing ever

This.

The joke wasn't funny the first time, it didn't suddenly start being funny after the seventh iteration.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

https://twitter.com/XC_Enel/status/1364989298139889666

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Still chipping away at Xenoblade Chronicles DE. The story guidance thing has informed me that the "final battle" is imminent. I previously thought the final battle was imminent four or five times, starting at Galahad Fortress, but now it seems to be happening for real. (Side note: the plot really took a turn after the second Egil fight. I was not expecting that, or that, or especially that.)

I completed a late-game quest involving Tyrea and started a couple of others in the newly-added section of Tephra Cave, but I had to put them on hold because of unavoidable Level 90 monsters. It would be helpful to know: is there a postgame with new quests and more time for the existing ones, or does the game just stop at your last save point before the final battle? Besides endgame stuff, I still need to finish the Colony 6 reconstruction and revisit all the Heart to Hearts. Although I don't know how I'm going to achieve maximum affinity for some of these character pairings. How can Reyn and Dunban still be :geno: ? They've been together for the whole game!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Optimist Prime posted:

Still chipping away at Xenoblade Chronicles DE. The story guidance thing has informed me that the "final battle" is imminent. I previously thought the final battle was imminent four or five times, starting at Galahad Fortress, but now it seems to be happening for real. (Side note: the plot really took a turn after the second Egil fight. I was not expecting that, or that, or especially that.)

I completed a late-game quest involving Tyrea and started a couple of others in the newly-added section of Tephra Cave, but I had to put them on hold because of unavoidable Level 90 monsters. It would be helpful to know: is there a postgame with new quests and more time for the existing ones, or does the game just stop at your last save point before the final battle? Besides endgame stuff, I still need to finish the Colony 6 reconstruction and revisit all the Heart to Hearts. Although I don't know how I'm going to achieve maximum affinity for some of these character pairings. How can Reyn and Dunban still be :geno: ? They've been together for the whole game!

There's no postgame content after the credits roll, everything opens up after Mechonis Core.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The area with lv90 monsters in Tephra Cave & Alcamoth are the post-endgame areas. The end boss is lv 82. You’ll be taken back to right before the point of no return after you beat the game.

Edit: you can access these places post-Mechonis Core but they don’t really expect you to complete them or those high-level quests until after you beat the end boss, for clarification. Expert Mode lets you lower your levels though which rules, you can make the end boss actually difficult!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 26, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Optimist Prime posted:

Although I don't know how I'm going to achieve maximum affinity for some of these character pairings. How can Reyn and Dunban still be :geno: ? They've been together for the whole game!

If you want to powerlevel affinity here's what you need:

lvl 84-ish
100% sleep or debuff resist on the character you're playing and your tank
Go to Eryth Sea and along the southern wall is a beach with a unique monster named Stormy Belagon, who has a sleep spike
The party member whom you want to raise affinity with will keep sleeping themselves when they auto-attack, stand next to them and keep waking them up for 2 hearts
Run away when Stormy Belagon is at 25% HP (you don't want to kill him)
Repeat until everyone loves each other

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

you can access these places post-Mechonis Core but they don’t really expect you to complete them or those high-level quests until after you beat the end boss, for clarification.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. In that case, I'll finish the main story and worry about the endgame areas later.

A couple more questions: since there's a monetary component to every Colony 6 upgrade, what's the fastest way to get rich in this game? And going back to party affinity: it sounds sort of tedious maxing out everyone's friendship for a bunch of optional conversations. Are there any specific heart-to-hearts that develop relationships in a meaningful way?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you want to powerlevel affinity here's what you need:

lvl 84-ish
100% sleep or debuff resist on the character you're playing and your tank
Go to Eryth Sea and along the southern wall is a beach with a unique monster named Stormy Belagon, who has a sleep spike
The party member whom you want to raise affinity with will keep sleeping themselves when they auto-attack, stand next to them and keep waking them up for 2 hearts
Run away when Stormy Belagon is at 25% HP (you don't want to kill him)
Repeat until everyone loves each other

There's another way in DE.

Find a mechon somewhere and use expert mode to level down the character you want to get affinity with (7 level lower than the mechon you can find and keep your main character at 6 or 7 levels above) and don't wear mechon damaging weapons. Take off all the arts too except your main character.

Hit the mechon with your main character with a spell or use an aura, so you have the Focus on your main character.

Your other two dudes will try to hit the mechon, but will keep missing and get unhappy. You can then encourage them for affinity! You also don't have to worry about killing the monster either since you can't really damage it, and your other characters are too low level to actually hit it.

It isn't as fast as the stormy belagon method, but you can do it at a lot lower level.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Zarfol posted:

There's another way in DE.

Find a mechon somewhere and use expert mode to level down the character you want to get affinity with (7 level lower than the mechon you can find and keep your main character at 6 or 7 levels above) and don't wear mechon damaging weapons. Take off all the arts too except your main character.

Hit the mechon with your main character with a spell or use an aura, so you have the Focus on your main character.

Your other two dudes will try to hit the mechon, but will keep missing and get unhappy. You can then encourage them for affinity! You also don't have to worry about killing the monster either since you can't really damage it, and your other characters are too low level to actually hit it.

It isn't as fast as the stormy belagon method, but you can do it at a lot lower level.

Thanks for this, I can finally complete that stupid "get 2 female party members to high affinity" without waiting for half of the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Optimist Prime posted:

Use Dunban for DPS instead of tanking. He has skills that remove aggro (Heat Haze?) and you can give him Aggro down type gems. Then let Reyn be a tank instead. In fact, one of Dunban’a strongest blades is a unique weapon with Arts Stealth VI built into it. Dunban is the best character, is my point.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Use Dunban for DPS instead of tanking. He has skills that remove aggro (Heat Haze?) and you can give him Aggro down type gems. Then let Reyn be a tank instead. In fact, one of Dunban’a strongest blades is a unique weapon with Arts Stealth VI built into it. Dunban is the best character, is my point.

Alternately, let dunban tank and use Reyn as a damage dealer.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dunban, Reyn and Shulk kill things so fast it doesn't really matter who is tanking.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Alternately, let dunban tank and use Reyn as a damage dealer.

This. Reyn deals some ridiculous damage. Dunban is a great tank as long as you're feeding him AGI gems/skill link. Riki is a good tank too but you have to give him some aggro up gems.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 27, 2021

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

WrightOfWay posted:

Dunban, Reyn and Shulk kill things so fast it doesn't really matter who is tanking.

Pretty much yeah, you can do some nasty chain attack bullshit with this setup.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I finally got more friends so XC2 is becoming more tolerable. That said, I hate the side quests. I thought they couldn't be worse than 1's, but almost every one I've done has reached a point where I either need a specific set of blade abilities that I don't have, or I need to collect basically every item in the world. And the fact that you don't realize that that's the real quest until you've already done multiple steps leads me to conclude that they are worse than 1's.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I had XBC2 sitting on my backlog for awhile (after initially bouncing off the voice acting during combat very early on) and finally sat down with it forewarned of "gacha mechanics" and "terrible grinds" and I'm having fun because I cracked my switch and can skip the stuff that would normally make me hit the eject button but it's honestly flabbergasting how much terrible MMO-style engagement metric-focused padding is in this single player game

I really want to know if the devs thought it made for a fun game or if they just came in from an MMO design philosophy, like why is the most effective way to level trust "buy food 10-30 items at a time and break your A button menuing while doing something else", why do merc missions need to have hour+ durations that don't progess in sleep mode, why is the best blade setup effectively locked behind grinding a retro arcade game

when you make the most efficient way to play your game "don't play the actual game" I have Questions about your design priorities

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Merc missions can last almost no time at all if you send the right Blades. As for trust, yeah that sucks. And at least they added the easy mode to Tiger Tiger that makes it easy but time consuming instead of infuriating.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think the worst design decision is having to have blades equipped to use their field abilities. Also, it's hilariously dumb that your blades' abilities don't level up unless you specifically check their progress in the menu, even if you've met all the requirements. It's like the developers were being actively malevolent sometimes.

Also, the Spirit Crucible sucks. Sure do love having the only way of doing reasonable damage taken away so that even random mooks become an awful slog that then kill you when they enter their rage phase.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

Also, the Spirit Crucible sucks. Sure do love having the only way of doing reasonable damage taken away so that even random mooks become an awful slog that then kill you when they enter their rage phase.

It's also cool how they stuck a unique monster in there that can't be toppled, has a high-damage AOE move with Blowdown, and is encountered on a narrow walkway above a bottomless pit, really ace design.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did y’all try using Poppi in the Spirit Crucible? She isn’t affected by the restrictions hope that helps!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Poppi is stupid good for many reasons, like allowing Tora to do the entire Break>Topple>Launch>Smash combo by himself. If we get a XBC3 they may as well add a Nopon version of Citan, in keeping with the theme of that one character who is so broken that they may as well be a permanent fixture in the party.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did y’all try using Poppi in the Spirit Crucible? She isn’t affected by the restrictions hope that helps!

I did, but it's still not enough of a boost to make that dungeon not horrible. I ultimately went to an inn and leveled Zeke up to a point where nothing would aggro him and just walked past everything.

Also I loved hearing "ROGUE ROGUE ROGUE ROGUE ROGUE..." when fighting the boss.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just learned that a few days ago from ChaosArgate’s Let’s Play. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t know about it on my first trip through, either. I think the disconnect is that they don’t actually explain what the restriction is (being unable to do specials above lv 1) and so you might not even notice a difference unless you are already using Tora? Anyway you pretty much have to use Tora & Poppi to beat the unique monster in there, if you’re into that.