Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got probably 90+ hours out of XCX and I fear I'd do it again with a rerelease on switch. Despite its warts, the game really had a hold on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was definitely missing this and the super sprint playing Xenoblade 2.

Yeah, just running around in X was so fun. Leap over small buildings, run super fast, don't take fall damage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like Morag as a character but the AI does not handle her well at all. Granted you can just play as her yourself, but I usually stuck with Rex to be able to get the topple/launch/smash combo reliably.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

I don't think the Blade designs were even the worst part of this, having Nomura design all of Torna as well was extremely jarring, they legit looked like they'd just walked in out of a different game.

As with all the blades being weird in the context of the rest of the world, that also works for people from a long obliterated land. Also I will hear no slander of Nomura as a character designer. He's great at it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 21, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can't believe people are forgetting my boy Hector Birtwhistle.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Personally I believe that XCX was only 29% finished and the concept of a completed XCX violates fundamental laws of space and time

The inciting even of Xenoblade X was aliens blowing up earth to prevent the completion of Xenoblade X.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I was waiting the whole game for Gramps to say "Salvager's Code #7: Love and justice will always prevail!" and have Rex complain about how corny it is. Rex is a pretty blatant Lloyd Irving-esque shounen protagonist.

Rex is very much a shounen protagonist with a strong sense of justice, but come on, don't put him on Lloyd's level. The strongest character development for him comes way too late, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

Xeno 2 is awful with the whole harem setup between Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Nia, but it at least has Morag and Brighid who are cool.

Actually it's cool and good, much like Morag and Brighid.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Morag/Brighid are bizarrely restrained in a game where the main love interest is literally both a tsundere and a "yamato nedeshiko" (I think this would describe Pyra's general personality) archetype at the same time; it's like they couldn't figure out which stereotype to go with so they just made the love interest into two separate people who each fit one of them. When I first played the game I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Morag (like there being some scene where they make her wear a dress or something) and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

In general I like Morag and Zeke because they pretty realistically act like adults (even if one is a goofy adult) in this party where everyone else is a child (I don't know Nia's exact age, but she acts like she's around Rex's age).

I like Morag and Brighid, but I feel they were ultimately kind of underused. Not every character needs to have a full arc, and it's usually better that not every character does, but they still need to feel like they gel with the group. Brighid makes out a bit better in that regard due to being close to Pyra and Mythra, but Morag always feels a bit too separate. Zeke and Gramps end up feeling like more mentors than she is, Jin and Malos more rivals, Tora and Nia more sidekicks, and Morag is just kinda there and not really close to anyone besides Brighid who's putting in more of the work, and she doesn't really have any memorable scenes beyond the one everyone knows with the fish and one near the end game. It feels like ultimately they couldn't decide what they wanted her to be. She's level headed and competent but not much beyond that.

It's also unfortunate that she ends up being very mechanically redundant and the AI doesn't handle her well at all.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 16, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

People hating on my boy Malos. Dude's on a hair trigger and the voice acting works for that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

George Jetson has done nothing wrong except put his mother's brain in the body of a robot maid.

Wait what? I thought it was just a robot maid.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

They hate the game and want to just forget they made it.

Where did you see this?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm digging XB2 but I think you gotta kinda be okay with it being like 200 hours of game.

Maybe if you're trying to get all rare blades and all affinity charts filled, but if you don't go crazy completionist then the main game probably tops out at like 80, and that's even with a lot of getting lost and meandering about.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mythra owns and her English VA is perfect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MechaX posted:

Reyn has a good heart and maybe she likes them dumb

Reyn has big himbo energy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

XC2 IMO takes a big step back in that regard, where not one, not two, or even three, but TECHNICALLY FOUR main party girls all want a piece of the walking talking trope of a spunky 15 year old boy main character action.

Yeah but 3? of those are all the same person if the fourth one is who I think it is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Nia deserved better.

Who's to say she wasn't also included in the end?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where's the Xenoblade X port, nintendo?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The blade gacha is not a bad idea in theory for making a playthrough feel somewhat individualized, but like come on guys, you have to know how human minds respond to that sort of thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Detective Eyestorm posted:

XC2 deserves every criticism it gets, and it's also my favorite in the series.

Same but XCX. XC2 gets more criticism than it deserves :colbert:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poppi is the true hero of the story, but even aside from personal opinions on Tora, it kind of sucks to have one party member limited in number of blades compared to the others for so long.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Still no Xenoblade X rerelease, the cowards. Acknowledge your best child!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

2 has KOS-MOS and T-elos and Elma, so I think they're right that it's better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Everyone arguing over 1 and 2 are missing the important thing: The trailer mentions the two sides should be fighting the "real enemy" and I think it's clear that's going to turn out to be NLA the Samaar Federation, with XCX's hosed up Conduit-less timeline being merged into the XC 1&2 fold unexpectedly and the Samaar trying to get their hands on it.

Can't be. With no XBX rerelease, people would lack context. Unless they do a surprise rerelease in the summer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Two was chock full of guest artists for the blades, many of them hentai artists.

Buddy I've got news for you about artists.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Xenoblade X music owns. The New LA themes and tyrant battle music are perfect in particular.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Climbing the MGS3 ladder to the first skill check then having to jump off to redo my blades. Climbing it again and getting to the second skill check and having to do it a second time while also keeping the first one.

I still have a grudge against that ladder.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

It would be pretty funny if a two-thirds of the way through Xenoblade 3 Elma shows up as a third mysterious silver-haired woman wearing a mask.

Yeah but she doesn't really get friend zoned like the other two so it doesn't fit the theme.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want to see a saga collection rerelease, but as I recall a bamco rep said in pretty clear terms that's not going to happen because it's not worth the cost.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nice but I'm really noticing the Astral Chain reprint. Really underappreciated game I'd love a sequel to.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I did not use Poppi for that dungeon because I'm dumb and didn't realize that was an option.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

KonvexKonkav posted:

I don't mind Tora the character but the voice acting is meh.

Or perhaps meh meh meh.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

XBX is just really fun to do the basic aspects of gameplay in which goes a long way. The aesthetics and music being basically right in my strike zone also added a lot for me and the side quests were fun even if the main quests were a bit eh.

Rerelease it on switch, cowards.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The cosmetic armor was nice, and it actually applying to the characters when they're just out in the world was good to keep in. So HB got the nice red velvet suit and Murderess got to look ridiculous.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's definitely the case that Sawano has a very defined tone, but he's not quite Sakuraba yet. Also that one tone is extremely for me, so I don't mind if he never changes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All deserved credit to whoever came up with that incredibly tortured acronym. Not even Gundam SEED's best efforts compare.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Can't believe all this disrespect for hit 1993 sports drama Rudy.

Playing the theme when you finally take him off the bench.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've got the page back up, but the actual button to preorder seems to be dead.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's in the cart for me, but I can't actually check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Burning hair, so I assume she is in some way descended from Brighid.