Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I never plan to find out myself but the Dominican Republic sounds like an absolute nightmare to drive in every time I hear it described. Mad Max poo poo

The worst I've personally experienced was in St. Cloud, MN. The light cycles are all really long, so if you miss a green, you're going to be sitting there for a while. As a result, even fuckin grandmas run red lights constantly, and as a result of that, people just sit there for several seconds when the light turns green before they even start to go because going when it actually turns green comes with a high risk of getting T-boned (plus you don't have to be in a hurry at the front anyway, you're not at risk of getting stuck for another long cycle). Natives internalize it to some extent but it fuckin sucks if you're just visiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Shamino posted:

Mexico City is both awful and excellent at the same time. Bangalore is extremely terrible, just nonstop horn honking.

Domestically Houston Texas is the worst I've ever seen as there is literally zero traffic enforcement. Want to 90mph on surface streets? Why not.

Loop 99 has the speed limit in the name.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I can't speak for the world (Greece and Italy both scared the crap out of me) but within the US it's Atlanta. Plenty of places have suicidally fast, aggressive drivers, but few have drivers who are also sloppy as hell *and* almost exclusively driving gigantic pick-up trucks, and all of it takes place in one of the largest, most poorly planned urban hellscapes in the western hemisphere. Give me LA, Boston, New York, Chicago, I'd happily drive all of them again before I go back to Atlanta.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The worst I've personally experienced was in St. Cloud, MN. The light cycles are all really long, so if you miss a green, you're going to be sitting there for a while. As a result, even fuckin grandmas run red lights constantly, and as a result of that, people just sit there for several seconds when the light turns green before they even start to go because going when it actually turns green comes with a high risk of getting T-boned (plus you don't have to be in a hurry at the front anyway, you're not at risk of getting stuck for another long cycle). Natives internalize it to some extent but it fuckin sucks if you're just visiting

Lived there for a short time and I can confirm the traffic in that city really sucks, at least it did 10 years ago the last time I was up there.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Worst drivers in the world:
1. where i live now
2. where i used to live
3. Me

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
get the gently caress outta my way assholes!!!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Besides Miami traffic and the occasional typical old people driving like old people, Florida is surprisingly not as bad as you’d think. Missouri had some of the dumbest drivers I’ve seen, but traffic’s not bad in the STL area. It’s a hollowed out husk of a city though.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

N-thing that the Cairo video was nuts. Watching that was wild, if I ever had to drive a car there I would probably just have a panic attack. Knowing that other countries have poo poo like that going down really put my midwestern driving experiences in perspective.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

in nyc in the pre-uber days i made the mistake of trying to get a cab without knowing what a gypsy cab was. i even saw a bunch of people refuse to get in one, reasoning "this cab doesn't have a meter, let's get a different cab" but I rolled low on my int and wis checks that day and got taken for sixty dollars for a terrifying fifteen block cab ride.

Oh yeah I know the list of Uber/Lyft negatives is long but one big positive is seeing exactly what a trip will cost before you get in a car, especially somewhere you don’t live, is great.

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

Atlanta Georgia.

See, there's places with horrible bumper to bumper gridlock. That sucks, that traffic is terrible, but you really can't gently caress up staying still and the worst that will happen is like, someone realizes they need to change lanes, and does so in an unwise way.

Then there's places where people drive fast and aggressive, but those people at least are often at least average in driver skill, and as such can go years without killing themselves.

Atlanta tries to be both, and combines with the fact that everyone in a terrible, awful, no good, very bad driver. People stopping, dead stopping, in the middle lane of the highway because they missed their exit. Going 80 in a 35. And of course the old classic, cutting across 5 lanes of traffic without looking, to get in the car pool lane.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Seeing those videos are wild, I’ve never been anywhere or lived anywhere with bad traffic. That being said my wife and I decided to make a lifestyle change and move into a much smaller space but have essentially no commute. I walk to work takes 10 minutes max her drive is 5 minutes or a walk, before that I had a daily commute 40 minutes one way

The amount of free time I have now compared to before is insane

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Was in Baku last year and their way of driving is to all merge into one giant mass. Like they have lanes marked down but they all just stick their car wherever there is a space. It was pretty awesome though i wish i had a chance to drive there myself.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Back in the day China was pretty bad because tons of people had cars, but it was their first car so it was like everyone in the country was a 16 year old who just got their license.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

hakimashou posted:

Back in the day China was pretty bad because tons of people had cars, but it was their first car so it was like everyone in the country was a 16 year old who just got their license.
you gotta start with mario kart before you jump right into mario kart 64 :cmon:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
the internet says:

Countries With The Highest Road Traffic Death Rate
Rank Country Car Accident Deaths (Per 100,000 Inhabitants)
1 Libya 73.4
2 Thailand 36.2
3 Malawi 35.0
4 Liberia 33.7
5 Democratic Republic of the Congo 33.2
6 Tanzania 32.9
7 Central African Republic 32.4
8 Iran 32.1
9 Rwanda 32.1

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

dee eight posted:

the internet says:

Countries With The Highest Road Traffic Death Rate
Rank Country Car Accident Deaths (Per 100,000 Inhabitants)
1 Libya 73.4
2 Thailand 36.2
3 Malawi 35.0
4 Liberia 33.7
5 Democratic Republic of the Congo 33.2
6 Tanzania 32.9
7 Central African Republic 32.4
8 Iran 32.1
9 Rwanda 32.1

I don't really know anything about countries or their driving but that checks out

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I drove through the entirety of alabama in a morning. I wanted to go fast but everyone was passing me at 90 mph. Best part of my trip.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

I don't really know anything about countries or their driving but that checks out

Libya is IEDs
Thailand is drunk expats on scooters
The rest I don't know but probably lovely infrastructure and a combination of the above

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what is a drunk expat but a mobile ied

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Let’s check why some people have stopped yielding to ambulances in Tehran:

quote:

When the phone rang at a private ambulance center in Tehran, a famous Iranian soccer player was on the line. The operator recognized him instantly and expressed sympathy for the presumed medical emergency in his family.

The soccer star laughed and said nobody was sick. He was requesting a reservation for an ambulance for a day to run errands around the city. He wanted to avoid the choking traffic that can turn a 10-minute ride into a two-hour trek. The money he was offering was equivalent to a teacher’s monthly salary.

For wealthy Iranians and even private tutors preparing students for national university exams, hiring an ambulance as one’s own private car and chauffeur has become the latest trend in a country with no shortage of time-consuming and frustrating traffic jams.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/world/middleeast/iran-ambulance-traffic.html

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

mobby_6kl posted:

The rest I don't know but probably lovely infrastructure and a combination of the above
Half of those countries are, or are nearly, war zones.

Surprisingly, not Rwanda!

quote:

You can hire a car to explore Rwanda but driving at night is not advised, largely due to the poor road conditions and unlit roads in rural locations. Landslides and flooding can also present danger to drivers during the rainy seasons in autumn and late spring.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
Does anyone have that vid of that one US guy having insane road rage, chasing somebody down, flipping his own car, then still trying to catch up? I don’t remember any other details other than the fact that the chase should have ended after flipping the car over, but it didn’t.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I was going to make the joke "gotta be this city!" but that was op's unironic point.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I was going to say Liberia and i am happy to see it is on the list of bad drivers.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

I've never traveled outside of the U.S., but Baton Rouge is pretty bad.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Watching the Cairo video, I can't in good faith claim they have the worst drivers or traffic since they set the bar so highly with never giving right-of-way to pedestrians, something developed countries still haven't gotten right.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

buglord posted:

Does anyone have that vid of that one US guy having insane road rage, chasing somebody down, flipping his own car, then still trying to catch up? I don’t remember any other details other than the fact that the chase should have ended after flipping the car over, but it didn’t.

...no :stare:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

people say Boston drivers are bad but Boston drivers are insanely good. they know where they're going, they know how to get there, and they know how to do it fast. what fucks everything up is some out of towner who is too scared to drive 60 in the tunnel and who is physically incapable of changing lanes without a mile and a half of open road. that person is the one who will gently caress everything up, and since lovely rear end New Yorkers LOVE to drive up the pike because their own state sucks, those kinds of people are everywhere.

the rule of thumb in Boston is that if they have a New Hampshire or a New York license plate, get away from that person :laffo:

I don't know what it is with NY state license plates but the sheer lack of awareness is astounding. I get it that NJ drivers are psychotic but man NY drivers make the rear view mirror a vestigial object. I used to drive an ambulance when I was younger and both times I had someone blocking us with sirens on it was a NY driver. They just don't care. Every time I go to visit my family out in the boonies there's just a line 10 miles long of them blocking traffic across 4 lanes. PA drivers are slower but there's just something about NY drivers that make them stand out.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

buglord posted:

I know what video you are talking about but it was taken down like 2 weeks after it was put up and I haven't seen it since. Guy chasing another person while crazy fast on freeway (for a hit an run - other guy bumped him I think), rolls his car while pursuing other vehicle on an on ramp but it flips over completely so he keeps on chasing the guy. Also there is a passenger in the car who is calling the police.

EDIT: I found it https://streamable.com/cestm

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 18, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Whooping Crabs posted:

I know what video you are talking about but it was taken down like 2 weeks after it was put up and I haven't seen it since. Guy chasing another person while crazy fast on freeway (for a hit an run - other guy bumped him I think), rolls his car while pursuing other vehicle on an on ramp but it flips over completely so he keeps on chasing the guy. Also there is a passenger in the car who is calling the police.

EDIT: I found it https://streamable.com/cestm

Holy poo poo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Christ. He had the license plate, dashcam video, and presumably car insurance. There was no need for a deranged episode of wreckless vigilantism.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If you want to die of terror, go to any country in the Caucasus mountains. They are not necessarily bad drivers but are utterly incapable of driving slower than 140 km/h in all circumstances especially narrow mountain roads.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Christ. He had the license plate, dashcam video, and presumably car insurance. There was no need for a deranged episode of wreckless vigilantism.

That was certainly not wreckless. Quite the opposite, really.

Portland doesn’t have the worst drivers but it has the highest concentration of a specific type of terrible driver- the Nicehole. The people that will stop traffic to make a left, or to try to wave someone out onto a busy road (only stopping one lane of the several lanes of oncoming traffic). They’ll wave a pedestrian across without seeing if there’s anyone else actively entering the intersection. That kind of thing. Never driving there again.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Portland sounds like Michigan except probably without potholes big enough to develop a swamp ecosystem

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I was going to make the joke "gotta be this city!" but that was op's unironic point.

If you go through the threads in LAN every single one is convinced they have the worst drivers in America

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you go through the threads in LAN every single one is convinced they have the worst drivers in America

probably not the boston thread

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was certainly not wreckless. Quite the opposite, really.

I don't mean to argue, but when speeding on wet roads, cutting people off, not maintaining your lane (or driving off the road in some cases), all leads to you losing control and literally flipping your car, I'd say that collectively demonstrates no regard for your safety or the safety of others. I don't think a cop would have any qualms about charging both of them with reckless driving.

But at the very least we can agree that he's psychotic and probably ready to beat the other guy with a tire iron.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I don't mean to argue, but when speeding on wet roads, cutting people off, not maintaining your lane (or driving off the road in some cases), all leads to you losing control and literally flipping your car, I'd say that collectively demonstrates no regard for your safety or the safety of others. I don't think a cop would have any qualms about charging both of them with reckless driving.

But at the very least we can agree that he's psychotic and probably ready to beat the other guy with a tire iron.

I was making a joke about you misspelling it as “wreckless” when there was absolutely a wreck.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol rekt

honestly ty for this exchange