Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
^^ that's pretty grim. What happened to the rapist/killers?

What other meat was on offer aside from chickens? Was Bush meat a thing in that area? Did you eat any nonstandard animals? Any nonstandard plants? What's the weirdest food they had?

Were there any cultural values/behaviors that was a little too far out there for you as a westerner? Are there any western habits that they saw as totally bonkers?

Did anyone try to set you up with their daughter? You touched on this already but without being gross did local woman see you/other western workers as a catch or novelty conquest?

What did you/locals do for fun?

Also more stories of cultural failure if you have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

peanut posted:

Someone I know was lured by an online boyfriend scam. Usually they ask for airfare to visit, but the person I know had studied arabic so she flew to Mauritania to meet him. She enjoyed her trip but said the village was weird…
They broke up eventually, but their online relationship went on for a while. Now I know that human slavery is still a big business in Mauritania, and it seems like no one in his family worked, despite their comfortable lifestyle. So they were either landlords or slave traders x____x
Does anyone else have stories about boyfriend scams?

That sounds like less than a scam and more like a regular online relationship. Or did she call him out on it so hard he just went along with it. The ultimate reverse hustle.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can you explain positive deviance a bit more? I'm not sure what you mean. Is this some sort of 'it's accepted that white people are non standard and do non standard things so let's use that to get non standard poo poo done that would otherwise be impossible'? Can you give us some examples?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Gotcha, nice