Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Why have I never heard of this country?

I see from Wikipedia that it became a thing around 1960, but I'm totally positive that it was never in any of my geography books growing up.

drat, primary school education sucks balls with respect to Africa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How does the peace corp work, in terms of volunteering?

I talked to a few volunteer organisations when I was right out of high school, and they seemed more like a "pay several thousand dollars to go there, dig some trenches, and get some photo ops"

Obviously, your arrangement seems much better, both for you, and the local population

The_Continental posted:

Sunday in Yako, Neighbor girls hanging out

Also tell me more about this outfit

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What was the deal with the hosts? Did you ship in and stay with them for a few months, and then get your own place?

Do they serially take in volunteers?

What I'm getting at is: Do they just have a neverending stream (heh) of extremely westerners that can't stop making GBS threads everywhere?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What were the languages like?

In many developing countries, local languages can be a pidgin that wouldn't be that hard to pick up. Some mixture of the actual historic local language and Spanish/English usually, but maybe French/English in OP's case.

Dunno if that's actually the case, just presenting that as a reasonable possibility