Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Good thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hefty Leftist posted:

how does it feel being an imperialist serving US neo-colonialism in Africa

Please clarify this post before I finish my fish sandwich and go to bed.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Continental posted:

I'll actually field that because its a legit question and despite possibly being posed in bad faith, I feel I'm fairly well equipped to reply:

When I was developing training materials for newly arrived volunteers I would get asked a lot of questions like this. The aid industry is rife with moral pitfalls, and deserve to be addressed. However, if we dwell on these gigantic forces we will fail to see the forest for the trees. We have the tools, knowledge, ability to solve problems. Even better, there are people who want us to help them solve these problems.

We can look at the history of colonization, slavery, Bretton-Woods accords, conditionality of loans, neo-liberalism, deregulation, etc. These are all important topics and shape Africa. Any action that takes place as a foreigner within Africa takes place within that historical context. We cannot change that. However, the discussion of those forces tends to remain confined to the realm of academics. Academics are often criticized for being all theory and no praxis. I tend to agree. Its very easy to lean back in your chair and call someone a "neo-colonialist" from the halls of an academic institution. One can subscribe to all of these ideas, see the problem as insurmountable, and become paralyzed by their own "wokeness" or they can get out in the field and solve real problems that are affecting poor people on a day to day basis. A homeless paranoid schizophrenic doesn't want to hear about the failure of the American Healthcare system. They want some meds and a warm bed.

At the end of the day, If I'm helping a group of new mothers develop porridge recipes for malnourished children using locally sourced sustainable ingredients, its a good thing. Babies won't die because of that action.

When I run a computer club for girls and help them develop real world proficiencies they wouldn't have had otherwise, that's a good thing. When you see a group of young girls begin to develop a sense of self worth, in a world that has devalued them, all the poo poo about being a colonizer goes out the window.

As I see it, West Africans are going to get American culture through cigarette ads, pro wresting, action movies, and popular media one way or another. Its incredibly reductive to claim volunteers are "just part of the system".

If only that poster responded with content like this.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Extending sticky.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

swbm posted:

near fluent in 2 months wow op very impressive and true

This is a pretty lovely thing to first post about, Star Wars beta max.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Joey Steel posted:

No questions to ask, but goddamn does this rule.
please vote

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did you run a budget or something? Expense reports, etc?