Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have seen the old Transformers movie and I actually really like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbXFJxltyo

But apparently there's like tons of other poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsLcTtCrqwg

There's like comics and stuff? Okay, guys. You can talk about it. This is a safe place for transofmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aTbHsZJ9g

e: I am posting this because I saw it when it was new, 13 years ago. so some language is not appropriate any more, sorry. didn't realize it until I linked it and now otherwise I have nothing to post here, so let's just view this as a piece from the history of transmotrons on the internet because that's honestly 99% of my exposure to it. AND the 18+ anime convention presentation, a story I will not tell unless this thread ends up deserving that story

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
this scene goes so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNsOGt3bHk

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

You dare to ask, I dare to answer.

Robots are fun toys. Toy guns and cars are fun toys. A number of toy companies tried to combine the two. After enough transforming toys were made, Hasbro and Takara decided to team up, rebrand some of the toys they already made and buy up the rights to other transforming toys to make a new unified Transformer toyline. They also decided to take advantage of how in Ronald Reagan's recent series of deregulations, he legalized direct advertising in children's television (which had already been legal in Japan for a long while) and made the cartoon. Since it was the early days of toy advertisement cartoons, they made a lot of weird decisions that you don't see in modern cartoon toy tie-ins, most notably how they felt that they needed to graphically kill most of the regular cast onscreen in the movie to make way for new toys, because they couldn't just make a new toy of the same character.

After a while, the show dwindled for whatever reason, but the comicbook tie-in kept going strong along with japanese transformer animes that kept tying into the new toys coming out like transformers where their head or weapon or engine turns into a little person. At some point in the 90s, one of the new toylines decided to label itself "Generation 2" which retroactively made all the stuff that came before it "Generation 1". No later transformers series would ever be known as Generation 3.

The toylines eventually did a bunch of experimenting with robots turning into animals (more realistic-looking animals than before, with fancy new balljoints) and that turned into Beast Wars, which got a fancy early-CGI cartoon and 2 animes. Japan produced a lot of transformers animes, but they only started getting translated and shipped to the US in the 2000s, with Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Armada, Energon, and Cybertron. There were also transformers manga series, but I don't hear about them much aside from Kiss Players which is horrible trash and pretty rapey, because Japan has confusing standards for sexual content in media and target markets.

The Dreamwave Transformers comics came along around this time, and after the company collapsed in a horrifying mess, IDW picked up the license, although they only really hit their stride in the 2010s. They also labeled their stories as being part of Generation 1 to tie in with the new nostalgic for G1 toyline that ran concurrently with the cartoon-based toylines. That practice would continue to this day.

But then America started producing its own Transformers media in 2007 with the Michael Bay movie, which I didn't like, and then the entirely unrelated but pretty good cartoon Transformers: Animated, which was ended to make room for the next Michael Bay movie. Then there was Transformers Prime, which took a little of the Bay aesthetic and a little of Animated's aesthetic and blended them together in CGI, and eventually led into the sequel series of Transformers: Robots in Disguise. They also put out new stuff targeted at a much younger audience under the name of Rescuebots. The Bay movies kept on going, but the latest movie purports to be a reboot of movie continuity.

As things stand now, IDW rebooted its continuity because they wanted to make a new unified shared universe between Transformers and the other 1980s hasbro toylines they had comic licenses to (aside from My Little Pony). The current on-tv cartoon is Cyberverse, but there's also a Netflix webseries called the "War for Cybertron trilogy", unrelated to the War For Cybertron videogames which were actually prequels to the continuity of Transformers Prime somehow. There's concurrently a toyline for the current cartoon, a toyline nostalgic for G1, a toyline nostalgic for the Bay movies, and a toyline for younger audiences. That's not counting the weird territory of high-end unlicensed third-party transformers or Hasbro's own Masterpiece line of high-end obscenely expensive transformers.

Unicron is coming.

Thank you very much for thoroughly explaining Transformers to me, now I know the answer to my question. :tipshat:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A giant Decepticon logo somewhere would be on brand but on the other hand make things almost too easy.

they put it on the hat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

I knew what a transformer was because of Small Soldiers, what I'm saying is everyone should watch Small Soldiers to save them self from this kind of embarrassment.

I actually think that movie is really good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

That's an Asimov robot story. Humans send a robot diplomat to make contact with the denizens of the surface of Jupiter (I think), and it's built to casually handle the heat and pressure of a Jovian atmosphere as well as the vacuum needed to get there. Calmly answers any question about its own nature and capability. Jovians forget, however, to ask what a human is like, because they assume they're already talking to one. They promise to never leave their world and threaten humanity, fearing its wrath.

Victory Unintentional

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

If you are interested in Transformers and remember them fondly, you should check out the IDW reboot comics (not the current, rather boring run, but the one that concluded two years ago). They went very deep, with robot apartheid, gender identity, "can you forgive literal Hitler", and other things.

Brought about largely by James Roberts, a writer that started off with fanfiction and was brought on to do a massive amount of worldbuilding. He does have his quirks that can get annoying (Douglas Adams-esque humor, British-isms leaking through), but in all he was a massive boost to the franchise.

I've heard it was really good.

To be honest, more properties should approach their best fanfiction writers. Then at least you get someone who actually wanted to write for that series. And not someone who, say, turns a franchise that is a unique scifi franchise into a lovely copy of Mass Effect.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I recall little of transformers media except my knowledge that soundwave is always the coolest one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAwYv_N-RQ