Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Did they ever explain the Quintessons' whole deal with the Guilty Or Innocent thing? I know they were said to be the ones who built the Transformers at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nine-gear crow posted:

The Five Faces of Evil miniseries/compilation movie goes into it, yes. The Quintessons built the machine race that would eventually evolve into the Transformers, who then overthrew them and drove them off Cybertron. They were so loving pissed about it that when they built Quintessa (the planet that Kup and Hot Rod land on in the movie) as their little Cyberton In Exile planet, they set up a kangaroo court to put all cybernetic life on trial for the crime of rebelling against the Quintessons and stealing Cybertron from them.

Folks like Kup, Hot Rod, Krannix, and the other survivors of Lithone are deemed “innocent”, because they played no provable part in the uprising. Yet in the Quintessons’ eyes that still warrants a death sentence. So down to the Sharkticons you go, boys!

That's so dumb and weird. I love it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Decepticons are always beloved no matter the incarnation since they're THE cliche cartoon villains and work so well. Starscream is more the Skeletor/Cobra Commander type (even sharing his original VA with the latter. Who also made a plausibly deniable cameo in the cartoon) as a power-grubbing schemer always good for throwing a wrench into a plot, Soundwave goes without saying, and there's usually at least one complete lunatic that everyone loves. Sky-Byte is my favourite, a flying shark who is kinda endearingly terrible at being a bad guy and develops a soft spot for humans.

I loved IDW's Thundercracker, because he goes native on Earth, gets a dog and a girlfriend and starts writing screenplays.

All while being a fifty foot tall alien war machine/F-15.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh man, don't get me started on how bad Transformers were with scale.

Ok, most of them are like car sized, a little bigger if you account for the fact that the legs often fold out when transforming. So a 15' car should make maybe a 25' tall robot. Only...that 25' tall robot is just as tall as, like, Optimus who transforms from a 50' long Semi, and then in some shots being next to people they look only, like, 10' tall, and other times they're as tall as a God damned 100' tall building.

And then you get into the truly tremendous robots. Like, Superion is an Autobot combiner made from a bunch of fighter jets and should be probably a couple hundred feet tall. But he's usually SMALLER than Menasor, a Decepticon combiner made out of cars, who by all rights should probably be a third his size.

And don't even get started on Metroplex compared to Fortress Maximus compared to Trypticon...

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
METROPLEX HEEDS THE CALL OF THE LAST PRIME

(One of the few times someone realized someone like Metroplex would be something like a thousand feet tall)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Coolguye posted:

I unironically love it every time the law of conservation of mass and the inverse-square law are told to go gently caress themselves in Transformers. It happens so often you can make a lethal drinking game out of it.

It's not even getting into size problems across the same team.

Like, take the Combaticons. They're a Decepticon team that combines to form Bruticus.

Bruticus's main body/upper legs/head is formed from Onslaught, who depending on continuity is either a SWAT APC or some sort of armed flatbed truck.

His limbs (which are all ostensibly roughly the SAME SIZE on him) are a Humvee, a tank, an attack helicopter and a space shuttle.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Did Traviss get up to her usual tricks of fetishizing a warrior culture at the expense of a pre-existing group of characters?