Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I dunno, I think an engineer would have great fun playing the destructor

Fun fact from the old star trek threads: Meaney and Alexander Siddiq became bros in real life

Some movies as well

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

That for real looked fake as poo poo in theaters and just as bad on VHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Angepain posted:

keiko is clearly trying to set them up so they can form a deep and wholesome three-way relationship but they don't catch her signals and everyone misses out. that bajoran guy kira had the hots for was a dipshit anyway forget him. in this 90,000-word fanfic i will

We know Keiko is a freak because of the TNG episode where she becomes a young girl and still wants O'Brien to gently caress her.

mind the walrus posted:

If Picard had to deal with Sisko's docket, he'd burn out and corrupt in some really awful way under the pressure that would end-- at best-- with a hasty resignation. Meanwhile Sisko couldn't handle mobile missions, he'd get caught in some conflict bad enough that he wouldn't want to pull out even when all the smart money says that's the better long play. Before you say "he did that all the time with Gamma Quadrant stuff" bear in mind he had DS9 to anchor him. He always had some rats nest to navigate. A flagship like Enterprise is always on the move.

Not about the two captains, but this gets brought up in a good way when Odo is busting Worf's chops about blowing his operations because of his style not being suited for a space station. And how security on a starship is like a pass/fail either poo poo has hit the fan or it has not and we can fly off compared to DS9 being a station( )ary place that has to keep people and stuff circulating smoothly to be functional. It's a good scene but also points out the strengths needed to run each well.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 11, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

isnt it the "doctor turns to stims due to overworking himself" plotline? because they literally do that with the nice old white doctor in bsg

i don't remember though maybe he just smokes space crack and it's super rascist

Nah it was the former, he gets addicted to stims but IIRC it was handled well IMO and kinda implied that he was less addicted to stims and more addicted to the notion that he personally had to save everyone at all times and didn't need anyone to look out for him because he knows best, and him being saved from that does have an actual shift on how he rolls later on and it wasn't like a one and done single episode thing. There's sort of shades of this in a much much earlier episode where his plot was him wanting to operate on a an alien kid whose parents were forbidding it on sorta Mormon-esque religious grounds. And like yeah of course the kid should be operated on but his attitude about it came off as very elitist and off-putting. I don't know, he wasn't the most major character in the show but I remember liking how the character was handled in general.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 11, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Derp, that's right. He may have privileged genes but that's a big black mark in a society where similar people took over the world and then destroyed it

Dovetailed nicely with his intro on the show, wasn't he the only Starfleet person added that was like hell yeah gonna save these primitives with my whiz bang medical mastery. Frontier Medicine as he called it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love Brooks' performance in general personally because he has a lot building up and going on behind each bombastic delivery. It never felt like he was overselling it to me.

That episode where Odo finally gets laid with some random woman and is late to a meeting. Odo sort of starts to talk about that being why he's late and Sisko sort of cuts him off just like "A WOMAN!.....that's NIIIIICE!" or whatever and it's an amazing delivery because I can't even remember the exact wording but because of how the scene is set up he says two completely different things to Odo simultaneously with his tone and that stood out to me. Like you can hear both "Odo, you've been through so much poo poo in your life and it's great that you've been able to make some friends now and have even found some intimate companionship" and " I cannot loving believe you just brought this banal dogshit poo poo up in my meeting that you're not even on time too. Now shut the gently caress up and help me win the dominion wars"

I feel like a lot of his on the surface generically loud moments have that duality and political acumen in them and meshes well with the position he's in where he has to take all of these folks' and factions and agendas into account all the time on a personal and macro level to keep everything from going to poo poo. And the way that interacts with his genuine devotion to Starfleet comes up in interesting ways like when he mega flips out on Worf arranging his brother's suicide on the station and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 16, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Verviticus posted:

this is only partially on topic but this is basically a general ds9 thread: in 'in the pale moonlight', when vreenak is drinking the replicated drink and hes describing how he feels about it, is that supposed to be a metaphor for his feelings on the federation and the conversation at hand

I think it's more of a foreshadowing that there's no way in hell they were gonna fool him with the faked evidence, Sisko definitely notes how sharp the guy is and is hesitant about the plan. And of course the plan works exactly as Garak had planned and gets the exact effect Sisko wanted, but not quite in the way Sisko was expecting from Garak.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everyone had to visit Vic Fontaine like every day almost once he showed up but Nog wanted to just spend a few days in there after going through some real poo poo and they had to hold an intervention.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I watched What You Leave Behind and man Garak gets a pretty brutal ending.

DS9 is funny because while I disagree that it was dark trek, really, since it just re-affirmed that the Federation and Star Trek at its core were values worth defending, it's probably for the best that it never went beyond 7 seasons because it was already starting to turn by season 7.

I also read that for the 25th anniversary the old writers pitched a new season and it sounded absolutely awful. A bunch of characters have been killed! Everything sucks! I know it was probably piftched jokingly but apparently the lessons learned from the last 20-25 years of TV is "grind the life out of your characters and setting."

Didn't actually do this with Babylon 5 like they made a movie relatively recently and it was just like Sheridan in front of a bunch of green screens of scenery talking about stuff?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

XboxPants posted:

So I just watched the episode with the "paranoid replicant" Miles

Why are we supposed to assume that Miles was the clone, and it wasn't just all a plot by the Paradan extremists to get their own operative established in DS9? Garak wouldn't buy this for a second. Hell, the Paradan Clone Miles wouldn't even have to be programmed to act as an operative. By the mere act of helping the Federation and DS9 ferret out a mole and foil a dangerous plot, they've established themselves as trustworthy and cast the Paradan government as duplicitous. They'll be in much better standing during the peace talks, with the Federation giving them the benefit of the doubt at every turn.

Miles died again, oops

It's like they were writing the episode without a clone but were like "If we kill Miles here who will we make suffer every week."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Angepain posted:

jadzia only left the show because rick berman wouldn't stop being a massive sexist to Terry Farrell iirc so it's not like it was even a decision made for creative reasons. i don't know what exactly my point is in saying this other than "gently caress rick berman", but, gently caress rick berman

It sucks because IIRC she's talked about how because of how she was being treated she didn't realize the amount of clout she did actually have as a popular regular on the show, and that if she knew better, since everyone knew the last season was coming up she would have demanded to be a recurring character instead of a regular and been able to do like four episodes or whatever in the final season.

Either way gently caress Rick Berman. Terry Farrell owns, like look at the improvement in her performance from Hellraiser 3 a year earlier to DS9, it's crazy (obviously the cast was the least of that movie's problems but still).

gently caress Rick Berman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That was actually her demand, she wanted to go part-time so she could start doing other stuff, and figured it should be no big deal since they had a lot of other poo poo to do in the season and could get by just fine with only having her on for like 13 episodes of the season.

Instead Rick Berman went all shithead power-trip and said "nuh-uh it's all or nothing"

That's so hosed up, like WHY, especially since:

Pick posted:

like suddenly jadzia was going to have something important to do

I mean it's a stupid question, I know why, gently caress Rick Berman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tony Todd is so fuckin' good in the episodes he's in in both roles he's done.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Worf loving rules. The vacation episode was great and added a lot of context to his behavior and how he went the super disciplined honor root after accidentally killing that kid as a teenager. I think Odo's conversation with him about the tightness with which a starship needs to be run vs. a space station with active commerce and all kinds of folks passing through wasn't necessarily as helpful as it seemed on the surface because after that Worf is very cut loose attitude wise. Think of how much he's the paranoid vigilant one before then and in TNG vs. all the poo poo he pulls afterwards. Also he's a huge badass and not only is he powerful enough to find and secure THE SWORD OF KAHLESS, he does what no one was in the episode was powerful enough to do by casting it away. Plus he stone cold murdered Gowron and it wasn't even the first time he clowned him in a fight in DS9.

I liked the mult-part where him+some folks get captured by the Dominion and he just cold beats the poo poo out of Jem'Hadar for like a day or two straight with no rest.

Angepain posted:

Don't forget when Worf briefly joins a terrorist group to sabotage a planet's weather system after getting mad that jadzia is still friends with one of her exes

This fuckin' ruled and is made even better by how he treats Ezri lmao Worf you rear end in a top hat

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I believe at one point when they were developing the last Tony Todd/Worf's brother episode they were going to actually film some brief stuff in Sto-vo-kor but didn't have the budget. Let us glimpse the Klingon realm of the dead dammit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should have made a Captain Worf show like they were talking about a few years ago instead of Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Verviticus posted:

he loses the last fight so badly the vorta in charge of the prison executes the first for beating up a child

History is written by the winners:

Memory Alpha posted:

During this time, to distract the Jem'Hadar guards, Worf entered into combat with each of the Jem'Hadar guards in turn, earning the respect and admiration of General Martok in the process, even winning the respect of Jem'Hadar First Ikat'ika, who yielded their final fate when he recognized that Worf's refusal to surrender meant that killing Worf would not be a victory.