Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

mossyfisk posted:

I watched a random episode of DS9 instead. It was the Aphasia Virus episode.

Quark has kept his bar open in violation of the lockdown, claiming it is an essential service.

Bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
'Crewmen' are all over TOS but the understanding of the difference between officers and enlisted crew got lost or deliberately thrown out when TNG started.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Sanguinia posted:

Apparently not by season 4, as I just said. Picard makes Tarses not being an academy grad and an officer very explicit, and there is a stated rational behind the difference, ie Time To Get Your Rank.

Yes, I wasn't disagreeing with the drumhead reintroducing enlisted crew to TNG, but I don't know why the decision was made not to have crewmen before then.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
'cause then they'd have to shitcan Geordi for doing the same

Reg at least kept it private

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Pretty sure Odo linked with Laas who definitely presented as male, that's about as close as it gets.

Laas then most likely died offscreen from the disease Odo unwittingly passed onto him in the process, which is a bit of an uncomfortable parallel to gay panic/AIDS crisis stuff

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jake and Nog actually work really well because they're just smart enough to get into real trouble. They shoulda brought in Alexander and Ziyal for a full quartet of space teenage shenanigans.

The bit where they go on a camping trip with Sisko and Quark gets interesting, they kinda basically spell out that it's basically idealised future humanity encountering its past.

Alexander was not yet a teenager at the end of DS9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

FunkyAl posted:

Alexander had been conscripted by a klingon warbird

At the age of 9 or 10 canonically. But you have to assume that's normal for them I guess.