Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

yeah don't watch that right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Pick posted:

it's bizarre to have Ezri be a counselor, just based on the balance of the show, because both Vic and Quark already fill that function.

tbh, Ezri should have left because she's trill and been like 'you're all nice but I'm off to my next life, like I'm supposed to' and then we get a Federation idealist, since once they take the stupid gmo route with Bashir he's no longer that character. but maybe not an optimist. I'd have liked to have seen a female Vulcan, perhaps, who sees the opportunities inherent in the war.

This is because though sisko loves 2 bitch about the federation (half of ds9 is casting shade at tng), the federation the show is sniping at becomes increasingly distant as tng and its characters/events become further separated. it would have helped the show a lot to have a very standard Starfleet character to bounce things off of, and to further show when she's actually right (thematically, that the federation is right)

i like ezri a lot as a character but this also sounds pretty good

ezri is a big influence imo on the character of marcy in Travelers. both are kind of classic sci-fi explorations of the impact of memory on personhood

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

what about worf's parenting

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

I'm watching the episode where Sisko and O’Brien visit this primitivist planet where this white woman rules a cult-like environment and it's so good, just the kind of great one-off episode that early ds9 could pull off without too much trouble

I'm hardly the first to say it but the racial themes for the writing for Sisko has the potential to be really bad but they usually pull it off imo. The Gabriel bell episode is another episode where racial conflict is clearly central but it isn't explicitly commented on

Edit: as ghost leviathan mentioned earlier

Aglet56 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 27, 2020

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

let's talk curzon dax

i'm watching blood oath from season 2 of ds9, which imo really plays up the trans subtext of jadzia early on. she's re-introducing herself to these klingon guys and telling them her new name and pronouns and so on; it's a really interesting 90s lgbt moment. but anyway the main conflict in this episode is whether jadzia will honor this promise he made to these klingon guys. curzon comes off as almost legendary in his accomplishments with the klingons, and ultimately jadzia decides to uphold curzon's promise and goes on a thrilling revenge mission. the continuity between curzon and jadzia is ultimately applauded.

but also in season 2 there's an episode where jadzia is counselling a trill guy who's about to be joined and she's talking about how her training with curzon was harsh and arguably abusive (sisko actually uses this word verbatim). it's incredibly uncomfortable in these 2020 times and sadly sisko comes off especially badly when he's like "but didn't you ultimately come out stronger due to curzon's punishments?" frankly this episode isn't that good and perhaps we shouldn't read too much into this detail but it seems to add a lot of color to jadzia's relationship with curzon. in this instance the break of identity between jadzia and curzon seems very distinct and in fact jadzia's main conflict here is about wanting to break from curzon's methods in how she trains this trill guy.

i think the whole dax concept is just really great, classic sci fi material that naturally lends itself to good storylines and lots of philosophical stuff about the relationship between memory and personality. i like sci fi that's very transparently exploring big, high-minded Concepts