Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pick posted:

I don't like Avery Brooks's performance as it fits in with the rest of the cast. He's not a bad actor but I think he's from a completely different acting school and it's jarring. Some pushback against Sisko was pure racism but some of it was legitimately stage acting among TV actors.

You can say literally the same thing about Patrick Stewart, though. In both cases it was a deliberate choice to have a larger-than-life character as the commander captain.

For me there were maybe two or three scenes in the whole series where I felt like Brooks was overacting. The rest of the time he was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah other weird pop-psychology stuff is how when they replaced Bareil's brain with a "positronic matrix", he had all his memories, but lost the "spark of life". That set up a weird dichotomy whereby organic beings had special spiritual properties which androids and the like couldn't have.

This even propagates to games that are heavily influenced by DS9 (like Stellaris), where spiritualists automatically hate robots, and robots can't get psionics, because *reasons*.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

It's also worth noting that the episodes which go deep into the African American experience were directed by Brooks.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Joking about shipping Garak with Bashir raises a good point: was there even one LGBTQ character in DS9?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Tulip posted:

It was extremely funny to me that they felt so low in their confidence about having an out queer character that it was couched as like, a sub-component of an extremely ~wild and crazy~ alien lifecycle instead of just like, incredibly mundane.

Yep. I'm also struggling to think of a non-heternormative relationship (for the current host) of either Jadzia's or Kurzon's. Hell, even Odo, who comes from a race for which sexual dimorphism is meaningless, only hooks up with femme-presenting aliens.

Considering how deep the show goes into racial and (heteronormative) gender equality, the tiptoeing around queerness kinda sticks out in a modern rewatching.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Pick posted:

That depends on how you interpret him having goo intercourse with other changelings, because he does have that form of interaction with a male presenting changeling.

Schadenboner posted:

Wasn't one of Dax's former host's wives in one of the episodes in like S3?

I mean, you can get into the male gazeyess of the only queer relationship being a (very brief) lesbian one but it was there.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about these.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Rewatching ds9 and seeing all the civilian clothes’ crazy cuts and patterns reminded me of what my grandma would sew. Looks like camouflage jumpers for going to war in a Bed Bath & Beyond’s curtain aisle. That might be the most nostalgic part of the of the rewatch.

The Siskos start sporting some rad-as-gently caress 90s Afropolitan fashion somewhere around the middle of the series.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Pick posted:

The Federation is so comically stupid in DS9 I basically buy that.

I don't think that that's the full extent of why the dominion went to war, and we've been shown that they are total assholes such as on quickening planet, but in this particular case I do think they were essentially being goaded. I think they'd have done it anyway but they had complete justification to do it under the conditions that were created even if they hadn't been looking to do so eventually.

The Dominion is weird in that they don't seem to have an industrial base, supply chains, trade, or any kind of centralization, yet somehow they can spew out warships. They claim the whole Gamma Quadrant as theirs, yet a bunch of species there haven't even heard of them.

Also they don't immediately announce themselves for years after alien ships start spewing through the wormhole and wandering around their claimed space. If the same thing had happened in the middle of Federation (or Romulan/Klingon/Cardassian/etc) space, there would have been starships dispatched to greet them immediately.

I'm pretty sure a lot of this was because the writers and producers only decided the Dominion should exist a whole season after they came up with the wormhole, but it kinda makes for some weird/janky worldbuilding.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 14, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Pick posted:

I don't know, to me the Dominion war is a mess.

It is also a mess because you have multiple episodes about how the Federation has to "make tough choices", and they are justified because tough choices had to be made, but other cultures get punished for essentially using the same rationale under similar circumstances

And don't get me started on the fact that Cardassia suffers unbelievable civilian casualties, because at the last minute they decided to "do the right thing" and switch sides. But if they had kept firing on the Federation, would the Federation have ever killed that many civilians? No way.

So did Damar's rebellion just result in massive civilian casualties for basically no reason? I mean you can do that as a writer but it's a weird thing to do without appearing to realize that you did it. And it's not because you would set so much in stone ahead of time, it's a decision that basically came through in the same loving episode

Eh, the whole push to include war in DS9 felt like a mess, especially re-watching now. I would've been quite happy if the later seasons could've been like the first few, with continuous character building that didn't need existential conflict to drive it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Polaron posted:

Just rewatched House of Quark and my god, the five second clip where Gowron is doing that bug-eyed stare at a datapad while Quark explains financial transactions to him might be one of my favorite tiny moments in the entire franchise. His facial expression is incredible.

There's at least one goon with that as their avatar. It is incredible.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Polaron posted:

drat. I was going to try to figure out a way to get that as an avatar after the regime change.

This is the avatar:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=140117

I'm pretty sure you could mine that episode for more :stare: Gowron expressions.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Everybody likes Jake. He’s one of the few characters in all of Star Trek- and I mean all of the shows- that doesn’t appear to have been programmed with a career path at birth, which I imagine makes him the most relaxing person to spend time with in the quadrant. Before him the most down to earth failson guy was Wesley, the genius level homeschool burnout who left the Academy and pursued his backup career, being a minor dimension traveling deity.

I mean, Nog is very much a failson in the eyes of his uncle and his culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Saw this in my timeline, thought this thread might appreciate it:

https://twitter.com/frenegi/status/1396912879257915396

I loled at "watch the Irishman suffer".