Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

I never watched DS9, I want to hear more about Worf being a total failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

This all reminds me that DS9 was just a soap opera with Star Trek skin.

Nov 6, 2002

Was watching TNG tonight while making dinner and it was the episode where the Enterprise makes first contact with a planet about to achieve warp, and I completely forgot the cameo by Frasier's wife who forces Riker to bang her to fulfill her alien sex fantasy. It's a pretty moment in an episode that is all "extremely serious business".

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, that's kind of a ridiculous complaint. If they brought back FDR should he have been doing backflips?

Nov 6, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Yes? You cast a level 9 science magic spell to summon a version of someone who in life suffered from a horrible degenerative illness with the illness fully in effect for the sake of, what, verisimilitude?

What is the point of the exercise if not to see and experience them as they were?

Otherwise why not just simulate Hawkings mind in the body of a gorilla with a rocket launcher?

Nov 6, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The very definition of a bad example

If he was in a gorilla he could smash the table when dealt a bad hand and use the rocket launcher to blow up his opponents.

If a vital part of the experience is temporarily resurrecting a crippled man with accurate conditions they shouldn’t have made him with the little robotic poker arm. They should have also generated PhD candidates that hover around him, leaning close to receive his muttered poker instructions, then playing the cards for him. Otherwise, what’s the point of the exercise, apparently.

Also dumb. Hovering PhD candidates are neither part of Hawkings body nor his mind. They are not him. His body, in that wheelchair, was an important attribute that contributed in an extremely meaningful way his entire life to the person he was.

Nov 6, 2002

In life Hawking’s chair never had a robotic arm that allowed him to independently receive, arrange, then present cards to the table. By dint of its inclusion the entire point of the game is, by your rules, rendered meaningless. Anarchy has been loosed upon Friday night poker.

Having the robotic arm attachment so it can move some chips around for the convenience of the game doesn't change who he is. Him being able to stand and walk and move them with own arms would. It would not represent the same person.

Nov 6, 2002

We don’t see him press buttons to manipulate the arm.

Why would we see this? By the time he participated in this episode he had already lost the use of his hands and used the movement of muscles in his cheek to interface with a computer.

Nov 6, 2002

Not when you’re making a clone of him for funsies. Actually respecting him would mean not creating a fake Hawking to go on adventures with. Once you’ve crossed that bridge, of making an accurate simulation of a real person and putting them in situations for your pleasure without their explicit consent, your actions have shown a fundamental selfishness. So the only question that remains is what does how you remake them say about you. Imo, making a fully ALS’d Hawking kinda says you lack basic empathy. Bring him back before his illness rendered him unable to perform basic functions unaided. Why is that specific Hawkings preferable? Because you enjoy the aesthetic of this specific chairbound man?

The entire holodeck simulation is about Data. The characters being simulated are not actually alive, so why would their wants, desires or dignity play any factor in Data's decision to create a simulation that accurately represents what they were like in real life?

Nov 6, 2002

Ello Guv'na! It's me Stephen Hawking, just as the 'ol world remembers me! Fancy a game of poker mate?

Nov 6, 2002

Also, humorous pedantry aside, it’s kinda lol to imagine Geordi sitting at a terminal, programming himself up a Hawking and specifically writing in a mechanical arm with cheek controls, then making changes to Hawkings brain so he’d know how to use it, maybe arguing with a future version of me on the internet about the decision.

Geordi would have programmed Hawkins to fall in love with him.

Nov 6, 2002

GEORDI: Professor, can you help me calculate the alpha-wave transwarp injector ratio?

HAWKING: does. that. visor. get. you. mad. pussy?

GEORDI: Woah! Professor, that's not something I really want to talk about.

HAWKING: i. would. be. getting. it. wet. all. the. time.

GEORDI: Uh ok, can we stick to the calculations please?

HAWKING: i. see. still. a. virgin.

Nov 6, 2002

blatman posted:

the biggest issue with tng isn't that data would casually update historical figure holograms for convenience or that geordi never gets laid, it's that geordi didn't install a phaser in his visor so he can cyclops bad guys

Woah there! You think Star Fleet is some kind of military operation?? We're just "explorers", that's all!

Nov 6, 2002

Did Geordi and Harry Kim ever meet up and have a meeting of "nice" guys who are actually creeps?

Nov 6, 2002

The Federations politicking skills are basically on par with our current presidential administration. Utterly clueless and incompetent.

Nov 6, 2002

Which Trek culture is it that can't provide healthcare but can blow up the everloving poo poo out of anyone in the galaxy?

Nov 6, 2002

Having a deus ex machina of benevolent space gods is completely antithetical to Star Treks.

Nov 6, 2002

Unsourced internet rumors saying that basically every current Trek show is about to be nuked - save Discovery - due to management shakeup at Paramount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Cranappleberry posted:

I guess Klingon kids grow faster?

and didn't he end up going to the klingon academy?

klingons rely a lot on suspension of disbelief. Sort of like how everyone speaks english, which is because of the universal translator, but then can also speak their own language somehow which doesn't translate and also when their mouths move they are making shapes for english words.

Trying to fix this is how you end up with the Klingons in Discovery.