Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

killing Jadzia was good at the time, but retroactively sucked when they couldn't get image rights to use her in any of the flashbacks in the finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Sisko is the only good dad in Star Trek that I remember.

Rom's awkward and has his issues, but he was never a bad dad to Nog that I can recall? Sometimes was initially held back by his Ferengi background (like being skeptical of him attending Keiko's school) but always came through in the end.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

really we should be more worried about the rest of the cast who didn't have a crush on Garak 😍
what's wrong with them?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

This awareness makes him the one character closest to realizing he is a written fiction, with all the existential woe attendant to that fact.

that's an interesting thought considering what happened to Sisko with the Benny Russell stuff.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

Can you expand on that? Iím only near the end of season two in my rewatch, so I havenít seen Far Beyond The Stars in what has to have been 10-12 years. I remember the basic plot, but not enough to make a meaningful reply.

so FBTS has a very explicit on the nose take on it with the character of Sisko being confronted with the idea that he and everything in his life are a work of fiction. so he has this big experience of that existential woe you mention but it comes and goes wrapped up in 45 minutes. although it would be revisited to less success in one later s7 episode I forget the name of and briefly in What You Leave Behind, it wasn't a part of his character for most of the show up until then and doesn't really come across in the rest of s6/7.

what you said about Bashir isn't a way I'd thought about his character before but it seems apt.
there's never an explicit moment of him openly addressing that existential question (unlike the final scene of FBTS with Sisko straight up saying "but what if we are the dream" to Kira). but I can see it now timing into his analytical and awkward outsider traits, and how he loved to play a role in holodeck fiction.

so while you said he was closest to realising he's fiction, my first thought was "but Sisko had that big moment of stating that question aloud surely that's closer".
but since Sisko rejects the idea and it doesn't inform his whole character it's not really close is it.

I'm definitely babbling now. kinds of grasping at the idea of what I meant to say but not quite getting it straight.

also it's been years since I've watch FTBS and think I might stick it on tonight. it's good TV.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

blatman posted:

the biggest issue with tng isn't that data would casually update historical figure holograms for convenience or that geordi never gets laid, it's that geordi didn't install a phaser in his visor so he can cyclops bad guys

it'd be weird for Geordi to turn up to poker night or drinks at ten forward or his day job in engineering carrying a gun. probably considered anti-social in the enlightened 24th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

nah he wasn't conscripted. he enlisted voluntarily because he wanted to connect with his Klingon heritage and prove something to himself / Worf.
don't think the Empire's conscription officers would have tried to exercise jurisdiction on Earth. where Alexander was living with his adoptive grandparents since his home on the Enterprise D blew up.

and yeah, Ron Moore said it was just assumed Klingons mature a bit faster than humans, and expected they wouldn't have to explain that in show that he turned up as a mid-teen equivalent at age of ten.